Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your experience regarding Netflix streaming (quality)...

Springfield

Mine has been terrible as of late. As of this moment, my wife is watching Grey's Anatomy streaming at 240 SD resolution. 240 SD!!? Are you ****ing kidding me?

A little back story. I don't think it's always been this bad. We had Cox Internet before we moved in 2011. Never had a problem with Netflix when we used Cox Internet. Even though we only had 15 down service, we often received service that was above that, sometimes over 20 megs down. When we moved we switched to Fios because Fios is the best (right?). We signed up for 25/25 down/up. Never noticed a problem with Fios.

About a year ago, I bought a new TV. Panasonic plasma ST50. Picture is ****ing sweet man. Love that TV. It's a smart TV and has a netflix app. Loaded up Netflix on that bad boy (used to use my ps3 which has since died). All seemed well. Picture wasn't perfect but it wasn't horrible. It seems to have become increasingly worse. It became so bad that I decided to hard wire the Internet connection to the TV. I bought a power line adapter and hardwired that **** to the TV. Tested the connection to the TV, something like 22 megs down.

Still sitting here watching 240 ****ing SD video!

So I do a little bit of googling. Seems like people who have fios that have trouble with Netflix is not uncommon. Come to learn that Netflix accounts for 1/3 of the download traffic at any given time. Netflix has something called OpenConnect which promises a great connection to Netflix but Verizon Fios won't dance. Fios has dropped considerably in Netflix's ranking of ISP's because their average download speed has dropped off as of late.

So here I am watching streaming video that looks worse than a radio transmission in the 60's.

Who's fault do I think this is? I think it's a little bit Netflix because they want ISP to adopt OpenConnect so they can hold down ther costs. I think it's a little bit Verizon Fios' fault because they aren't providing quality Internet service. Ultimately, I think that this is the tip of the net neutrality iceberg. Customers end up screwed in the end.

Unless Fios (or ES) can't come up with something to help my problem I feel that I may go back to Cox for Internet (probably TV as well).

Anyone else stuck watching ****ty 240 SD Netflix? It blows ass.

I have Comcast and my parents use my Netflix streaming on Fios.  No problems whatsoever.  Might be your player.

He might check for a software/firmware update....one of mine was buggy till I did that.

NetFlix is trying to force providers to partake in their cloud agreement. Most major ISPs are resisting, so NetFlix is hitting them where it hurts: their customers. Hoping that if enough customers **** enough the ISPs will will cave. Since January the average NetFlix speed is down.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/02/12/netflix-speeds-are-down-but-dont-blame-verizon/?tid=hpModule_a2e19bf4-86a3-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394

I have Comcast and my parents use my Netflix streaming on Fios. No problems whatsoever. Might be your player.

Forgot to mention in my long winded post, same exact results on the laptop as well. What I originally thought was the TV was the problem. Then I had te same results with my laptop which leads me to believe that it isn't a hardware/software problem.

I live in NC and have Time Warner Cable internet so I can't speak to your issues.  But I will say this, it could be the device you are watching it on.  My modem is downstairs in my office, living room is next door and there are no doors so its pretty open.  My DVD player, PS3 in my office operate wireless and its always in HD, no issues ever, unless its with Netflix (which is rare).

Now, in my living room, we have a Samsung 3D blu-ray player (gift, TV isnt even 3D lol)  and the quality jumps in and out sometimes and it will flicker between resolutions which annoys the **** out of me.  On my Xbox 360 in the same room, I notice the same thing.  Both are wireless too.  Even hard wired, the DVD player does that sometimes.  

Edit:  I should point out that on my Xbox its with Amazon Prime Streaming, not Netflix and its actually the original batch (red ring of death ones) with that ****ty wireless adapter hooked up to it.

Forgot to mention in my long winded post, same exact results on the laptop as well. What I originally thought was the TV was the problem. Then I had te same results with my laptop which leads me to believe that it isn't a hardware/software problem.

Well if your internet/router/speed is a problem then it is a problem with your service.  It's not a problem on Comcast or Fios.  Maybe it's your wireless router.

Just a thought but do you have any on demand movies or show downloading through your cable service? A while back my wife had loaded a bunch of on demand tv shows through direct tv which I wasn't aware of and i I was stumped why Netflix was horrible. They were killing my bandwidth.

Well if your internet/router/speed is a problem then it is a problem with your service. It's not a problem on Comcast or Fios. Maybe it's your wireless router.

Could be the router I suppose. It yields the same results on both wifi and hardwired though and it's only yielding those results on Netflix streaming.

In fact, I could run a bandwidth speed test and get something like 18 Megs down. Plug the Ethernet cable into my TV, fire up Netflix and get crap.

I play games without any problem at al as well. No lag, nothing. I realize that streaming Netflix commands a constant 6-8 Megs of bandwidth but I'd assume gaming would take a hit if the connection was unstable.

Just a thought but do you have any on demand movies or show downloading through your cable service? A while back my wife had loaded a bunch of on demand tv shows through direct tv which I wasn't aware of and i I was stumped why Netflix was horrible. They were killing my bandwidth.

Nah, my wife will download a podcast here and there but nothing big like video.

I have noticed it myself on my apple TV lately. Picture is fuzzy sometimes... I may need a new hdmi cable as the one i have is pretty lame.

I stream netflix thru my blu ray player in my bedroom which is closer to the wifi set up, and that picture is fine.

I was considering gettng a better wireless router.. I have an N router thats 2 years old so I dont know if there is something better/faster.

I was discussing with co-workers and one IT guy said that sometimes in the evenings when there is more usage that can slow down netflix.

All ISPs seem to be denying that they are selectively throttling content based on protocol/service.  But I've read at least one account of an ISP customer service rep outright admitting that they are throttling.

In my opinion, people are already too dependent on Netflix to take any substantial poop from their ISP and therefore it's already too late for ISPs to slay the Netflix "beast."  Even in markets where there is only one ISP option, the voice of the customer will be too loud to ignore if Netflix is getting choked.  The longer it takes ISPs to realize that this particular game already has a winner, the worse it will be for the ISPs' image.

There actually is a limit to the notion that the customer has "no other option."  There is always another option.

I have Fios.....Netflix streams pretty good on all my devices, which is quite a few (desktop, laptop, nook, my iPhone, my wife's Galaxy S3, Wii, PS3, and bluray player.)  One thing I have noticed when it comes to streaming, is that for some reason on my laptop it streams faster using the WiFi than actually being directly connected via ethernet cable. 

Also, not sure if mentioned, but some shows/movies are just going to have crappy resolution for their age.  I'd love to see Enter the Dragon or any other classic movies in HD but it's just not going to happen. 

Also, not sure if mentioned, but some shows/movies are just going to have crappy resolution for their age.  I'd love to see Enter the Dragon or any other classic movies in HD but it's just not going to happen.

I don't think the age is the problem, but that Bruce Lee is just too fast for the camera to ever focus on.

OK, so the Example Short 23.976 is pretty usefull.

I've tried it on 3 of my 4 devices.

My Panasonic Viera ST50 (PRIMARY NETFLIX WATCHING DEVICE).  Internet connection is wired directly into the TV.

- Mostly 235kbps, after about 10 minutes it got to 1050 kbps which yields a resolution of 640x480 which is watchable but most of the time I got 235kbps which yields a resolution of 320x240.  You CANNOT watch at 320x240 image on a 50 inch HDTV.

My laptop on WiFi.  Was testing on the bottom level of a three story house with the WiFi router on the top floor.

- Mostly 235kbps again.  After about a minute it got up to 720kbps and then degraded back down to 235.  I gave up.

iPhone 4s on WiFi.  Same WiFi as the laptop, same exact location.

- Started at 235kbps.  Within a minute it was up to 1050kbps and within 2 minutes up to 3000kbps.  3000kbps yielded a 1280x720 which is definitely high definition.  It isn't their 1080p "SuperHD" that they advertise but it's certainly watchable.  Too bad it's on a 3.5 inch screen and not a 50 inch screen with 5.1 surround sound hooked up.  Alas, toward the end of the test (10 minutes) the signal degraded to 235kbps for the remainder of the test.  Almost as if Fios knew I was getting too good of a stream.

I'm going upstairs to test my PS4 next and see what results i get.

PS4.  Hardwired.

- Started at 235kbps.  Within a minute up to 750kbps to yield a resolution of 512x384.  2 minutes up to 1050kbps for a "SD" resolution of 640x480.  7 Minutes in to get to 1750kbps and 720x480.  Never got any better.  Signal didn't degrade like the iPhone and 1750kbps is watchable but far from optimal.  If that's what I get during peak times, I'll deal with it but I can't get that on my main TV unless I bring the PS4 downstairs.

Archived