Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shopping Satellite vs Cable.. pros and cons

Bang

hi

Sorry if there has been a topic, I haven't seen one in a long time.

So I am tired of Comcast's high prices, and tired of their surprise increases.

So with satellite.. what are pros and cons by you who use it?

My main concern is how often does the signal go out? What are the chief causes?

When was the last time yours went out (for more than a half hour, say.) and what happened?

In terms of channel selection, I really don't need much,, local channels obviously, sports packages with NFL MLB and Tennis.. and HBO. Beyond that bells and whistles and extras don't really concern me.

All advice is welcome.

~Bang

Last month my bill for TV effectively doubled. DOUBLED.

Why? F-U.. that's why.

With Netflix and amazon video.. they're really not giving me anything i can't get cheaper.. and they are already going to cut into that, squeeze it, charge more for tiered internet.. i am looking to get as much away from them as I can.

~BAng

ive been lucky with my cable service. i moved to a new place just a mile from my old place a little over a year ago, and the new places' association didnt allow fios (which i liked) to install their stuff. so, its either comcast or dish. 

im with you on dish- i have nightmares about my signal going out- even for an hour or so. its just a thing with me. and i've heard from a few people that it does go out from time to time. 

ive been lucky with comcast recently. i haggled and got a decent price for a triple play bundle. ive always hated their ridiculous looking channel guide thats been the same for probably a decade. so, recently i called about the x1 thing. i actually got a lower price than i was paying with an any room DVR and 3 HD boxes. 

not sure how that happened. but i'm a cheapskate and did my research and i guess i asked the right questions. oh, and i think it helps if you say you want to cancel then they send you to the cancellation/retention department where you are likely to get the best deal possible. 

the X1 platform pummels the old guide, btw. easy to use, although they did just update it a couple of days ago and i dont like the new look compared to the old one, but its ok.

good luck!

Been with DirecTV for about six years now, I love it.

As far as issues with reception and the satellite, I've never had any problems.  That includes living in Seattle for two years, where it rains 140 days a year.  Never once did my reception go out or go fuzzy.

Only issue I've ever had has been living here in Colorado.  Any snowfall of say 8+ inches or so, I have to go out in the backyard and wipe off the dish with a broom.  But our satellite is only about 7 feet off the ground, so its not a big deal and it takes me about 10 to 15 seconds to clear it off.  Been in our house for 2 1/2 years now, I've only had to do that three times. 

Other than that, no issues at all.  Sunday Ticket alone pretty much justifies DirecTV for me, and most of us ES'ers with DTV have been getting the ticket for free since 2010  :)

Thanks YC, that is music to my ears.

I've done the "i'm going to cancel" bit with Comcast, and they do drop my price.. my wife is particularly good at negotiating us a nice rate.

The surprise rate increases are my real issue. If it were a few bucks here and there i can see it,, but they spring enormous increases just because. I've been a customer for more than 20 years. Think that counts for anything?

Nope.

~Bang

My signal goes out very rarely with Directv. Occasionally with really bad thunderstorms, but it usually does not last long. And when it does, and if there is something I really want to watch, I just fire up my iPad and watch it on there until it comes back on. I was on Time Warner Cable here in Charlotte, and I have found that the picture is sharper on Directv and the channel packages are better than I had on TWC.

The one, very minor thing I have found that was in favor for Time Warner is that their on demand programming was a little better than Directv's is, but that is a very minor consideration for me and that obviously varies from provider to provider. So it may be better on Directv than it is on Comcast.

Another big thing for me is that Directv is very flexible on their pricing. I know cable can be at times, but Directv always has discounts and will always give you a bill credit or something free if you are not satisfied with something. Directv's customer service is very good.

Speaking of discounts, if you decide to switch, you can get $10 a month off for 10 months if you get referred and that person also gets $10 off as well. I would be more than happy to refer you or anyone alse that decides to go the Directv route. :) Just PM me if you are interested or have any other questions. Honestly, I really think it is great and much better than any cable provider than I have ever had, and I have had Comcast, Charter, Cox and TWC in the past.  

We had Dish Network for about 10 years...loved it. You've probably read other posts I've made about their customer service, second to none. By far the best company I've ever had to deal with, about anything, and I'm serious.

Unfortunately, the Xfinity bundle works best for us, since hubby works from home and almost all of his offices are out of state...unlimited everything is well worth it for us. It just sucks having to try & get a human on the phone to change a TV package or something...you can do anything with your Dish remote. (I could discontinue HBO for the 2 months Bill Maher goes away with a couple clicks, and get it back about 5 minutes before his return, no joke.)

Thanks YC, that is music to my ears.

I've done the "i'm going to cancel" bit with Comcast, and they do drop my price.. my wife is particularly good at negotiating us a nice rate.

The surprise rate increases are my real issue. If it were a few bucks here and there i can see it,, but they spring enormous increases just because. I've been a customer for more than 20 years. Think that counts for anything?

Nope.

~Bang

Yeah, your rate wont go up with Directv, you are in a contract, and if anything, mine has probably gone down since I have had it. You do have to be careful about when promotions expire, but they are listed in your bill and you can always find others to offset anything that is expiring.

Does either satellite company offer internet, and is it any good?

I would be surprised if it can stack up to the speed of cable, but i'd be happy to be wrong in that.

I make my living on the internet, and unfortunately for that Comcast is my best option.

~Bang

Two more things that work in Directv's favor are technology and sports. Their technology is so much better than what I see from other cable companies and it is reliable. No more taking a box back to swap it out for one that actually works, or having a box randomly reset itself at an inopportune time. I have never had to replace a box, except to get a free upgrade to the Genie system a few months back. And I love that. 

And we are on a sports message board, so we are all sports fans here. Directv has access to a lot more sports options than cable or other satellite providers. Like youngchew said, Sunday Ticket is a big deal for me and only Directv has it. That may change in the coming years, but it hasn't yet, and I am sure Directv will fight to stay the exclusive provider. Dish is a good provider and a little cheaper, but Directv has a lot more options sports-wise and a better channel lineup overall, IMO.

If you end up going with DTv, they DO bundle with Verizon FIOS if that is an option for you.

DTV always shows ads for Hughesnet...but from what I gather, it's a last choice option for people who live in the boonies.

Yeah, they do not offer their own internet, but they bundle with other internet providers in your area. For example, here in Charlotte they offer a bundle with AT&T where I would get a discounted rate with my subscription.

I have had Comcast, Adelphia, DirecTV, Dish Network, and FiOS.  Without a doubt FiOS is the best service I have ever had. But I also loved DirecTV and Dish Network.  As long as you have unobstructed views of the sky, the service is fine, except in the most extreme storms. I LOATHE Comcast/Xfinity.

The funniest thing I ever see on the tube are the commercials with the happy friendly Comcast service people- do they really think we're ALL high?

The real problem is that there are no good options, no matter what you do you're gonna get scrood on something Bang. Cable internet has no competition and they know it. DTV does its share of sneaking in increases too, maybe not Wall Street robber baron style like Comcast, more like local muggers knocking off your grocery money, don't think they won't try n screw ya too but signal loss due to weather is really a non-issue.

Satellite internet is great as long as you are willing to go back to a 28K modem existence, it is better than sending smoke signals but that's all.

If there's bad weather, your cable won't go out. 

I used to cordcut but just could not take the stress of being blacked out of Redskins games. If you've ever had your signal blacked out because of a light breeze outside, it's very stressful. 

I spent so much time trying to re-arrange my indoor antenna. Then I learned that all indoor antennas are unreliable and you should get an outdoor antenna to hang on your roof. The problem is this isn't worth it. 

I have had Direct TV for around 14 years. Love the service... the whole home DVR is great and works so well for my situation with a special needs kid and 2 girls. I have 3 DVRs and a total of 6 receivers. Its really cool that you can go to any room and watch a show...  They also work with you on price.. I always get the best deal possible but it does take some time on the phone.

One drawback is the storm/rain fade. In heavy downpours the signal is lost. It can be annoying.

As loyal as I am, I will follow the Sunday Ticket for Redskins games (being in Cincy). so if DTV does not renew the Sunday Ticket, it will be hard, but I will move to whatever service offers the ticket.

2014 is the last year for the NFL - DTV deal, so they are negotiating something now. I have heard several things - some say DTV will renew no problem and others saying they might let exclusivity go, meaning Comcast and Dish will be able to broadcast the ticket... we should know pretty soon.

Had DirecTV and it sucked.  Lost reception during bad weather...when the leaves grew back on the trees, etc.  NEVER AGAIN. 

I currently have FiOS and love it.  I have it bundled with my home phone and internet and it's the best provider I've ever had.  I have no issues w/ customer service and they are usually prompt when dealing with an issue or dispute.  They have really low prices for new customers for the first two years...then there is a hike.  However, you can haggle to bring that down when the time comes to re-up. 

just checked my bill with comcast.

looks like i pay a total of about $130 a month for the triple play. get a bunch of channels (more than i need, for sure), including about half the movie channels. 3 HD boxes, with one DVR that lets me watch recorded stuff in any room. oh, and of course, i have the spanish channels where every woman on there has tight fitting clothing and huge boobs. (actually i think its included in my lineup at no extra charge.......:) )

i dont have the NFL package like satellite offers, but, honestly, i get all i can handle at the moment with the regular lineup., so i'm ok with that. 

best part is i'm not under a contract, so i can cancel anytime :)

I spent so much time trying to re-arrange my indoor antenna. Then I learned that all indoor antennas are unreliable and you should get an outdoor antenna to hang on your roof. The problem is this isn't worth it. 

i'd actually think about the antenna thing if i could get a good deal on internet access. even though i'm spoiled by the guide and DVR. very convenient. 

i wonder how many HD channels i could get and what they are? in fredericksburg, i know i get a handful, but a few are just junk channels. 

Had DirecTV and it sucked.  Lost reception during bad weather...when the leaves grew back on the trees, etc.  NEVER AGAIN. 

I currently have FiOS and love it.  I have it bundled with my home phone and internet and it's the best provider I've ever had.  I have no issues w/ customer service and they are usually prompt when dealing with an issue or dispute.  They have really low prices for new customers for the first two years...then there is a hike.  However, you can haggle to bring that down when the time comes to re-up. 

I've had DirecTV for 15 years and you must have had a bad signal to begin with. As long as you have a clear view of the southern sky your signal should be fine. It's a myth about rain and losing the signal. While it's true it does go out during a heavy downpour, it's not like it goes out every time it rains. When I do lose my signal it's usually for 15 minutes or less. 

I've had DirecTV for 15 years and you must have had a bad signal to begin with. As long as you have a clear view of the southern sky your signal should be fine. It's a myth about rain and losing the signal. While it's true it does go out during a heavy downpour, it's not like it goes out every time it rains. When I do lose my signal it's usually for 15 minutes or less. 

Agree with this.  Heavy downpours or a huge accumulation of snow.  We don't get alot of snow here in SC, but we did one year. Lucky my house was one story and I could brush it off.  I have a two story now and I'm not sure if I'd get on the roof to get it off. 

Ive been with DTV since 97 or 98.  It's the only way I can watch Redskins games.

So Ive never really bothered to compare whats good or bad in comparing to other options.  I want to watch the games.

yeah, if i didn't live in th area there's no doubt. My wife and I are planning to move to toronto after the boy finishes college. It's a condition I demanded.

~Bang

I have DirectTv. I used to hate it because their customer service was terrible and I always had my satellite go out. But, I stuck with it for Sunday Ticket

The good news is that it has not gone out in at least 6 years! Their customer service is way better. They have been a pleasure to deal with these past 6 years.

Also, I don't have a contract with them. So, once football season ends, I put my service on hold until it begins. You are allowed to put it on hold for 6 months at a time. It is great because I don't have that bill to pay every month. Yipee!!! When you call to turn it back on, it comes on real quick!

During the offseason I stick with Netflix and Amazon. I am not a huge fan of other sports, so that doesn't bother me. I will keep it on for the olympics this year though.

Archived