Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nipplegate at 10: How Justin Won Superbowl XXXVIII, and How Janet Lost

Lombardi's_kid_brother

in overly simplistic and broad sweeping terms it is because our society punishes women for being sluts, and celebrates men for doing the same.

i find the double standard revolting.

..and janet Jackson is now 47 years old.  too old to be the hot entertainer (as a woman), and not far enough removed yet from her time in the spotlight to have her revial for a run of kenedy center type appreciation concerts

(think of carol burnett, right now.....)

Women get the benefit of plenty of double standards though I do agree it is an unfortunate issue and America needs to get over its whole sex is taboo crap.  We'd rather kids see people blasted with guns gruesomely than they God forbid see a boob.

Whether you think she is "talented" or not, she sold 100 milion records in her career and was still putting out #1 singles in 2001, the last year she released an album prior the nipple that brought down an empire.

Whether you think her career was in decline or not, these are the facts:

1. She was banned from the Grammys the following month; Timberlake was allowed to attend and received two awards.

2. The head of the FCC publicly criticized her, not Timberlake - even though Timberlake was the one who actually opened her top.

3. MTV and VH1 refused to promote her next album; this did not happen to Timberlake.

The question the article asks is, Why was her career targeted and not Timberlake's?

Because of money.  Timberlake was young and hot (he won two awards at the Grammys.  Jackson wasn't nominated for any).  One horse clearly had some run left into it.

Jackson hadn't done anything for a few years, and her last alblum had only 1 #1 hit.

That's more than most artists can say.

Most other artists don't go off script in a manner that results in their nipple exposed on national tv.

But compared to JT who won two awards, including pop male vocal, at the Grammys that year, if your concern is to make money and you have to put the blame on somebody where is it going to go?

The person's career is on a pretty obvious down trend or the person that ended up winning two Grammy's?

If Janet would have been performing with some no name guy or this had happened in 1992 and she was performing with almost any other guy, then the blame would have gone the other way.  As it was, she was performing with somebody whose career was clearly much more healthy than her's and would generate more money into the future.

Her career was trending down, but as has been stated she did go on and be in a movie and have a platnium selling record so it isn't like it completely bottomed out, but it certainly didn't reverse the trend down either.

The last one I can even remember watching for more than 1 minute was SB 43 when Bruce Springsteen was performing.

Easily the best halftime show I've ever seen. The boss brought the house down. All in all, that's probably the best over all Super Bowl (game + halftime show) I've seen.

One is a young and up and coming white man while the other is an older black woman. Its really that simple.

Its not talent either because Janet was a mega star before that incident. Timberlake isnt that talented musically either.

She definitely got black-listed.

There was nothing at all serious about it too.

One is a young and up and coming white man while the other is an older black woman. Its really that simple.

Its not talent either because Janet was a mega star before that incident. Timberlake isnt that talented musically either.

She definitely got black-listed.

There was nothing at all serious about it too.

Yeah of course...

race is always the answer.

I'm black dude and yes sometimes race is a legitimate excuse but here you're off.

JT was trending up and she was trending down before the event.

Their ages at the time have more to do with it. 

Can we have JT do another Super Bowl half time please? Bruno Mars is going to be awful. Beyoncé last year was the best performance in the past 5-10 years.

A little fun fact. Beyoncé has her "E" at the end of her name auto corrected on internet explorer. She is that famous.

Saw today where he's already making excuses. He said the cold was affecting him during a rehearsal.

3rd best halftime show ever, after MJ and Prince.

Yeah of course...

race is always the answer.

I'm black dude and yes sometimes race is a legitimate excuse but here you're off.

JT was trending up and she was trending down before the event.

Their ages at the time have more to do with it.

she was trending down? how so? Remember, she was invited to headline the Super Bowl halftime show which is one of the biggest measures of popularity in the world.

Her last album sold 7 million records worldwide and had 2 or 3 number one hits, iirc. She wasnt trending downward. Janet Jackson was still a huge popstar.

If you dont think race had something to do with it, which is all my post said I never said it was the only reason, then you are well off here. SHE got blamed for Justin Timberlake ripping off her top. SHE got blamed for it.

400 years of racial history, especially against black woman who had no control over their own bodies for a large chunk of that 400 years, should never be ignored.

Again, SHE got blamed for it. SHE was booted off the grammys. SHE didnt get her album promoted by all the usual outlets. Timberlake was able to continue partying with no repercussions. It was definitely about where the two were at their points of their careers, but dont pretend that race and gender had nothing to do with this either.

I know she released an album a few years later but didn't hear anything about it. 

You didn't hear about it because Viacom owns CBS and decided to put the blame on Janet Jackson for the halftime show. That meant she could not go to the Grammys two weeks later on CBS. That meant that MTV and VH1 (Viacom properties) blacklisted her. That meant no promotion and plays on Viacom/Infinity radio stations - which was, I believe, second to Clear Channel at the time in terms of stations but possibly more influential.

Again, there was a concerted effort to blame her and blacklist her.

You can it's because she is old, but Madonna is 1000 years old and looks like Gollum now. She gets to perform on MTV still. She performs at the Grammys. Glee dedicates episodes to her. Her videos get launched on American Idol. All the major platforms are available to her.

she was trending down? how so? Remember, she was invited to headline the Super Bowl halftime show which is one of the biggest measures of popularity in the world.

Actually, no "All for You" only had one #1 hit.  Here are Janet's alblums w/ how many times Platnum up to the SB (note she had two alblums befor 1986s Control, but they didn't really do anything):

1986 1989 1993 1997 2001

5XP   6XP  6XP   3XP   2XP

As a comparision here is Madonna's for the people that want to compare them:

1983 1984 1986 1987 1987 1989 1990 1990 1992 1994 1995 1996 1998 2000 2001 2003

5XP  10XP  7XP   P       P    4XP    2XP  10XP  2XP  3XP   3XP   5XP  4XP    3XP  P        P

This includes two greates hits and I believe 3 movie soundtracks.  Maddona more successful at her peak and more productive through out.  Throught most of the 1990s and 1980s it was almost impossible to be a senior in not have a Maddona alblum be one of the tops of the year.

no one said Janet Jackson compares to Madonna in terms of popularity.

The point was Madonna was old and haggard and still doing shows and performing lesbian acts and was allowed to continue on her career, while Janet Jackson was discarded.

Do I really have to say that the ability of a pop star to say relevant is realted to their degree of popularity when they were popular?

And that his explains why people Madonna has outlasted not just Janet, but the likes of Cindy Lauper, Anita Baker, and Gloria Estefan in terms of presence in pop culture?

And is also relevant to men and explains why Prince is being advertised as being on a sit com post-SB geared for the 20-30 age group, and I haven't hear anything about Richard Marx since the 1990s.

Really simply, Madonna is more popular today and plays in bigger areneas and has more oppurtunties today because she was essentially always more popular than Janet (except for maybe a 2 year period around 1990) and Lauper, Baker, and Estefan.

**EDIT**

And musically out of that group give me Anita Baker, but I bet you'd have a hard time finding people that know her or her music.

Archived