Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 is set to be rough, but rewarding schedule

bobbi3stix

I was looking at the situation Jay Gruden has put himself in and maybe I am the optimist, but I see him in a good seat with our CAP and a lot of good talent to get started with. Griffin has had all the right moral and health lessons to help him be a tougher leader (his injury, his drama with coaches, and losing badly).

The test of playing the defensive teams like SanFran & Seattle are going to be good ones to gauge our talent and Jay's preparation of the team. To beat them, will take a well rounded team and will enable our players the confidence should we meet in the playoffs. Where Seattle has an elite secondary, SanFran has an elite front 7.

The AFC south will prove if we can beat the teams we're supposed to beat, and Griffin can square off against Luck which will be a lot of confidence in himself. And I think after the way things went this year, he just might need it.

I'm not totally sure what to say about us defensively, there's years of evidence to convict Haslett of incompetence but IMO the loss of Carriker along with the liability of Fletcher in coverage hurt us more than we realize. Not to mention both offense & defense were hindered by our special teams greatly. I would like to think Perry can hold it down much better along with our young DB's developing more will be an improvement.

I'm not saying I think we're going to be dominant, but we could be :)

I think there's a good chance we can go 3-1 in the AFC South and possibly 2-2 in the NFC West. Let's just say we split the division. The last 2 games would be against the Vikings and Falcons. I think we can beat both of them. That would put us at 10-6 which could be good enough to win the division again. I'm feeling good

I love the optimism. 

I usually get this way about this time of year.   We have  a lot of front office work to do to sign the guys we want to keep and shore up our secondary and o-line via FA and the draft among other areas (ie. another receiver and an ILB among other depth needs).

If Gruden can hit the ground running and get some kind of momentum early, maybe, just maybe, we could be in for a fun year.

Hail!

After year after year of buying into the offseason hype, i steadfastly refuse to believe that we'll have a winning record this year, regardless of what offseason moves we make.  I'd love more than anything for the team to prove me wrong, but I've been burned one (okay, several) too many times.  It's WAY too early to predict our win/loss record, but if I had to right now, I'd say 6-10, at best.

After year after year of buying into the offseason hype, i steadfastly refuse to believe that we'll have a winning record this year, regardless of what offseason moves we make.  I'd love more than anything for the team to prove me wrong, but I've been burned one (okay, several) too many times.  It's WAY too early to predict our win/loss record, but if I had to right now, I'd say 6-10, at best.

Can't blame ya, and a lot of me feels the way you to do but I think Griffin is going to remind us why we fell in love with him. Gruden, regardless of what the doubters or skeptics say- chose him and the Skins over teams with better records. I followed the Bengals a lot fo the years due to a good friend being a fan of them and I think Gruden is as good as it gets.

Home opponents: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Rams, Seahawks, Titans, Jaguars, and Bucs

Road opponents: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Cardinals, 49ers, Colts, Texans, and Vikings

No optimism here. That schedule is brutal. Colts, Seahawks, Eagles, and 49ers were playoff teams and the Cardinals in any other year would have been to. The Rams were a different team when Bradford was starting, the Texans sucked for Bridgewater and will rebound, Lovie Smith will tighten up the Bucs as will Whizenhaunt in Tennessee. Only sorry teams outside the NFC East who was 6-0 against the Redskins this season is the Jags and Vikings who beat us this past season. How can you be optimistic about this?

. How can you be optimistic about this?

I said why. And to further say, I think last year was the "perfect storm" and Griffin was more worried about being the starting QB week1 than developing as a QB and progressing.

Kaepernick & Wilson have fizzled, Palmer isn't getting any younger. The Rams may be better, but they also may not be as well. Bradford is no sure thing.

You think Lovie Smith is going to make Tampa great? They're screwed, the contract for Revis alone has screwed them. He had a better team in Chicago than he is getting in Tampa.. Not worried.

The Eagles only beat one team with a winning record this year who had their starting QB in. Their offense declined, it's not going to be a surprise next year. The Cowboys, Giants are in cap hell- with plenty of holes in their roster.

Jags beat us? Where was I? The Colts are bipolar, they can beat the best and lose to the worst. Texans are a fraud and the last time I checked, they were worse than us.

I like that the harder opponents are on the road. You could look at that as a negative just as easily, but the way I look at it is they're going to be tough to beat no matter what so it's better to have the odds stacked against you in those and hope that we end up playing a great game or they have a dud, then come home and have home field advantage against more beatable teams. If you have teams like San Fran, Indy, Arizona, at home and then you have to travel to Jacksonville and Tampa, suddenly you're looking at tough games every time.
Although it's very fortunate to have Seattle at home. That's the one road game that would have been almost an auto loss.

I get the "set to be tough", but it's hard to see the "rewarding" part of the schedule when you've come off a 3-13 season. Everyone looks like a fomidable foe. With a 10-6 prediction last year, I'm still spitting out crow feathers..

I say rewarding, and I know it's a tough schedule. The reward is that if Gruden can get it going and we make it to the playoffs- we've seen the opponents and don't worry about an "unknown" opponent.

Home opponents: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Rams, Seahawks, Titans, Jaguars, and Bucs

Road opponents: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Cardinals, 49ers, Colts, Texans, and Vikings

No optimism here. That schedule is brutal. Colts, Seahawks, Eagles, and 49ers were playoff teams and the Cardinals in any other year would have been to. The Rams were a different team when Bradford was starting, the Texans sucked for Bridgewater and will rebound, Lovie Smith will tighten up the Bucs as will Whizenhaunt in Tennessee. Only sorry teams outside the NFC East who was 6-0 against the Redskins this season is the Jags and Vikings who beat us this past season. How can you be optimistic about this?

Disagree.  All are winnable.  At home, the Hawks as the only one I'd put winning down as a less than even proposition.  Even 2 road ones we should have more than a 50/50 prob. of winning.  Of course, all this is based on the opponents performance last year.   At this time last year, only 1 away game had a better than even chance and two home games had a less than 50/50.  Truth is, you cannot say a schedule is brutal until the schedule is actually set (about April) and new talent can truly be considered (about May).  Even then, whether a schedule is brutal or not changes every day after that.

Disagree.  All are winnable.  At home, the Hawks as the only one I'd put winning down as a less than even proposition.  Even 2 road ones we should have more than a 50/50 prob. of winning.  Of course, all this is based on the opponents performance last year.   At this time last year, only 1 away game had a better than even chance and two home games had a less than 50/50.  Truth is, you cannot say a schedule is brutal until the schedule is actually set (about April) and new talent can truly be considered (about May).  Even then, whether a schedule is brutal or not changes every day after that.

Yeah I'd say under 50% at home against Philly and Seattle, over 50% in the rest. Over 50% at Minnesota and under for the rest. Which would put us at 7-9. Sounds reasonable. Obviously that's super simplified, way too early, and will never pan out exactly that way. But there's no other way to look at it at this point.

Every year the opponents come out and every year our fans think only "our" schedule is BRUTAL.  We have the same schedule as everyone else in our division sans 2 games.  Compared to last year, our schedule is NOT brutal this coming season.  Depending on what we do in free agency and the draft will give us a better feel, at least on paper, as to where we might be on improving. 

There is no such thing as a "last place schedule" anymore.  They did away with that in 2002 when they went to 4 divisions of 4.  In the 5 team divisions, there was a such thing as a "last place schedule."  I hate to break it to you guys, but nobody in the league gets an easy schedule.  That was the design of the 4 divisions, to create parity. We could go 13-3 or 3-13 and we get the same exact schedule except for 2 games. I'm not sure why people are not comprehending that.

So we go 3-13 and we're rewarded with a tough schedule...lmao.

Since the shift to 4 divisions in each conference, NFL scheduling only has two games that are adjusted for difficulty.  Next year the Bucs and Vikings. 

All teams in a division play each other twice, one division in their conference, and one division in the other conference.  For the other two in conference divisions games are assigned based on the order finished within the division (so first place in the NFC East plays the first place teams in the NFC South and NFC North next year and on down for the other finishers).

Man, looking at that schedule, you'd think there are 10 teams the Skins might be able to at least hang with, but 10-6 sounds far too ridiculous for me to even consider that a possibility after a 3-13 season.  I guess that's why a team that was awful the previous year ends up in the playoffs the year after.

I figure it's like this:

Should wins: Cowboys (at home), Giants (home), Jags, Vikings

Should compete: Cowboys and Giants (away), Titans, Bucs, Rams, Texans, Colts

Won't win: Seahawks, 49ers, Eagles (home and away), Cardinals

So, assuming the "Should compete" group ends up around 50%, the team will end up with 7 or 8 wins.

Honestly, I'm thinking something more like 6-10 than 8-8.

Home opponents: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Rams, Seahawks, Titans, Jaguars, and Bucs

Road opponents: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Cardinals, 49ers, Colts, Texans, and Vikings

When you landed the 2nd overall pick... Every game next year should be tough.

We're not the second worse team in the league, not even close. It's all about the QB in this league. Ours should rebound just fine. We should compete for the division and nothing less.

Double digit winning season.

NFC East crown taken back from its year loan in Philthy.

BOOK IT!

Then once in the dance, who knows?

And I can't remember tha last time I predicted a double digit win season. Right back to Coach Joes first go around I believe. But with 10 and competent coaching/ play calling, the World is our oyster.....

Hail.

Archived