Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 is set to be rough, but rewarding schedule

bobbi3stix

The days are over of going by the schedule on paper.  The league is much to much year to year.  I bet every team can look up and down their schedule and see a bunch of close wins/losses and can then justify being a "smidge" better enough to overcome those close losses from the season before.

Some teams get a lot better, some get a lot worse, some stay the same, but there is so much that goes into it and such a small margin of error with only 16 games that you never know.

This team sucked in 2013, but that still makes THIS ROSTER a year removed from 10-6, regardless of how they got to 10-6, they did it, so there is some kind of formula to get there even with the current roster.  It's not like they only beat bad teams on that run.

Let's see what the roster looks like on opening day.

Also, the NFC East is probably going to be won again by a 10-6 record, give or take.  I don't see a team going 12-4 or better.  

I love all the optimism but we are not realistic..  Looking at the talent level of the teams we are playing, there is probably only 5 teams we are more talented than..  MIN, NYG, JAGS, TB and TEN.... (with the current roster that we have)  now this could change with FA and Draft, but as of right now it does not look good!!!!  I just have to say that we are not that talented...  There are 14-15 better players out of the 22 off and def players on every team we are playing except for the 5 I named

Add me to the list of "wait and see". I do highly doubt we will finish 3-13 or worse this year; but I want to see what holes we fill in FA and the draft before I make a guess. If we are able to shore up the trenches and put some additional playmakers around RG3, we have a very good chance of a double digit season. Just hard to tell until we see who we land. 

I love all the optimism but we are not realistic..  Looking at the talent level of the teams we are playing, there is probably only 5 teams we are more talented than..  MIN, NYG, JAGS, TB and TEN.... (with the current roster that we have)  now this could change with FA and Draft, but as of right now it does not look good!!!!  I just have to say that we are not that talented...  There are 14-15 better players out of the 22 off and def players on every team we are playing except for the 5 I named

I actually feel the opposite, man. We have plenty of talent on both sides of the ball. That talent just hasn't been properly utilized or coached outside of a few players. In my opinion, our talent level more accurately reflects 2012 than it does 2013. I know we got hot and went on a run, but we still finished with a division title and playoff berth. 

The Skins are a 3-13 team until the new season kicks off.  At this stage there is absoluteley nothing concrete to indicate we'll be better. Remember we traded in a Super Bowl winning coach for a rookie HC.  As optimistic as I've been over these long years- I smell Zorn 2.0

And that SB winning coach got us to 3-13. So how does that equate to Gruden shaping up to be Zorn 2.0? Not trying to start anything man, but just wondering why you feel that way. At the very least, RG3 WILL be healthier and likely back to his old form. That, and having a coach that is on his side anxious to work WITH him and not against him, should spell more success than last year. 

And that SB winning coach got us to 3-13. So how does that equate to Gruden shaping up to be Zorn 2.0? Not trying to start anything man, but just wondering why you feel that way. At the very least, RG3 WILL be healthier and likely back to his old form. That, and having a coach that is on his side anxious to work WITH him and not against him, should spell more success than last year. 

And for all we know, he could be more than just healty- he could be developed and step his game up beyond what he did his rookie year.

I said why. And to further say, I think last year was the "perfect storm" and Griffin was more worried about being the starting QB week1 than developing as a QB and progressing.

He has to show it, call me a Missourian for all I call but show me he can become that QB. There is as good a chance he can't become that pocket passing QB that we need him to become then he will. His odds are 50-50 and as the season progressed I didn't see the improvement I wanted to see from him.

If Griffin doesn't become that guy then what? Do you still feel as strongly about next year?

Kaepernick & Wilson have fizzled, Palmer isn't getting any younger. The Rams may be better, but they also may not be as well. Bradford is no sure thing.

Wilson's fizzled right into the Superbowl. I don't get that. As for Kapernick he's played in two straight NFC Championship games you might be forgetting. Palmer's demise is not the story in Arizona, the story there is that a 10-6 team wasn't allowed in the playoffs. With the young Defense that team has I'm betting that fuels there fire this year and they have a great season. Bradford before he was knocked out for the season in 7 games had a 14:4 TD to INT ratio and was having his best season as a pro. I'm not on the bandwagon that Bradford isn't any good or the reason for the Rams problems. That team will get better and will be in competition this season

You think Lovie Smith is going to make Tampa great? They're screwed, the contract for Revis alone has screwed them. He had a better team in Chicago than he is getting in Tampa.. Not worried.

Did I say that Lovie Smith was going to make them great? No, I said Smith would tighten that undisciplined team up and he will. Tampa is loaded with talent and with Doug Martin back and Glennon under center they will most certainly not be "screwed" this year. They will be better then they were this past season

The Eagles only beat one team with a winning record this year who had their starting QB in. Their offense declined, it's not going to be a surprise next year. The Cowboys, Giants are in cap hell- with plenty of holes in their roster.

Regardless the NFC East beat the Redskins 6 out of 6 games they played. The Cowboys are in cap hell that's true but if the Redskins were as talented as you think then how did they lose every single game they played against the East this year? The games are won and lost by few factors and unless the Cowboys go Florida Marlins and gut the entire thing they will be tough to beat this year. 

Jags beat us? Where was I? The Colts are bipolar, they can beat the best and lose to the worst. Texans are a fraud and the last time I checked, they were worse than us.

Did I say the Jags beat the Redskins? No I didn't. The truth is the Redskins won 3 games last season and only beat the Bears, the Chargers, and the Raiders. Common thread with those three teams is bad Defenses. Chicago #32 in the league against the rush and #30 in points allowed per game, Raiders 29th in the league in opponents scoring per game, Chargers 28th in the league in opponents passing yards per game allowed. I appreciate the optimism but realistically if the Redskins win double last years record or 6 games this season it will be good for them. I don't understand how people are feeling good about this schedule but I hope you are right. I just don't see it turning around that quickly

Home opponents: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Rams, Seahawks, Titans, Jaguars, and Bucs

Road opponents: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Cardinals, 49ers, Colts, Texans, and Vikings

No optimism here. That schedule is brutal. Colts, Seahawks, Eagles, and 49ers were playoff teams and the Cardinals in any other year would have been to. The Rams were a different team when Bradford was starting, the Texans sucked for Bridgewater and will rebound, Lovie Smith will tighten up the Bucs as will Whizenhaunt in Tennessee. Only sorry teams outside the NFC East who was 6-0 against the Redskins this season is the Jags and Vikings who beat us this past season. How can you be optimistic about this?

The NFL plans to expand the playoffs to 14 teams by 2015; so odds are a 10-6 team will not miss the playoffs.  Odds are great that 8-8 or even 7-9 team will be a regular in the playoffs.

I think anyone expecting double digit wins or even playoffs in 2014 are dreaming.    2012 was a fluke.  Even during that run, it just masked out weaknesses.  I figure it will take Jay 2 seasons to things working.

2014:   6-10 most likely but we could maybe sneak to 8-8.

2015:   10-6-  Wild Card playoff run, maybe even winning one playoff game.

2016:   14-2-  Super Bowl Run, our Superbowl window is now open for 3-4 years

Dan Snyder has never had a coach do good in his first year.  At best was Marty's 8-8 and Zorn's 8-8.

Playing the schedule game is stupid. Everyone thought we'd get blown out by the Saints in Week 1 of 2012. Hell we beat the eventual Super Bowl champion Ravens that year but lost to the Panthers. Then you got last year where Week 1 vs. Philly against a rookie coach looked easy, and who would have thought we'd get blown out by a Chiefs team that won two games last year?

We'll beat teams we're not supposed to, and we'll lose teams we should beat. Like every season.

Seriously? How did we get this schedule? We were 3-13...our schedule is brutal every season ..it doesn't matter..I'm hopeful..but not optimistic..it's too early for me to stick my neck out(if there's any neck left after 41 yrs a fan of this team)..My neck has just about had it..the chopping block is not my friend although I've been there season after season! UGH! I hope we can pull ourselves up by the bootstraps but I'm not going out on that limb yet...after you get burned so many times you learn not to stick your hand to the stove!

Every year the opponents come out and every year our fans think only "our" schedule is BRUTAL.  We have the same schedule as everyone else in our division sans 2 games.  Compared to last year, our schedule is NOT brutal this coming season.  Depending on what we do in free agency and the draft will give us a better feel, at least on paper, as to where we might be on improving. 

There is no such thing as a "last place schedule" anymore.  They did away with that in 2002 when they went to 4 divisions of 4.  In the 5 team divisions, there was a such thing as a "last place schedule."  I hate to break it to you guys, but nobody in the league gets an easy schedule.  That was the design of the 4 divisions, to create parity. We could go 13-3 or 3-13 and we get the same exact schedule except for 2 games. I'm not sure why people are not comprehending that.

Well that explains that..thanks for clearing that up for me...no wonder our record has no bearing on our schedule..you would think I would've noticed...whoa..sheesh..I need to tighten up and pay attention..lol

Seriously? How did we get this schedule? We were 3-13...our schedule is brutal every season ..it doesn't matter..I'm hopeful..but not optimistic..it's too early for me to stick my neck out(if there's any neck left after 41 yrs a fan of this team)..My neck has just about had it..the chopping block is not my friend although I've been there season after season! UGH! I hope we can pull ourselves up by the bootstraps but I'm not going out on that limb yet...after you get burned so many times you learn not to stick your hand to the stove!

It's all about perspective.  We are a terrible team.  So when we see that we have to play the Seahawks at home, we say to ourselves "This is so brutal".  The Seahawks on the other hand, look at their schedule and as a good team say "sweet, we can beat Washington easily next season".  

Our schedule isn't brutal because of who our opponents are, but rather because of who WE are….terrible.

Double digit winning season.

NFC East crown taken back from its year loan in Philthy.

BOOK IT!

Then once in the dance, who knows?

And I can't remember tha last time I predicted a double digit win season. Right back to Coach Joes first go around I believe. But with 10 and competent coaching/ play calling, the World is our oyster.....

Hail.

I agree, 11-5 with beating Seattle at home and again in the playoffs. Last year sucked for a bunch of BS reasons starting with our franchise QB not being able to practice football during the off season. Once he is back to form, we are a double digit win team.

No way to even guess a record after a 3-13 season. My gut says sweeping Dallas should be possible as I don't think Romo sits to pee will be back to form after the surgery and they are due for an implosion, could be why Phillips made the lateral move to our staff. Should sweep NY also as they are on the decline and I think Coughlin is done after next year. The rest ?who knows ,we always win one or two against better teams and lose to the teams we shouldn't . Hoping for the best but prepared for the worst.

Well, one thing that always intrigues me about the Bengals is who they beat and lose too.  They are just notorious for wowing everyone when they play teams that you do not expect them to win.  I would assume alot of that is attributed to the defense, but the offense has played well for them too.  I think they are equally as talented as us on the offensive side of the ball.  While we get shreaded in the WR department, I think our backfield, QB, and TE1 are all more talented then what the Bengals had.  I hope Jay really gets this team playing again, I'm excited.  I hope we crush Seattle next year, I'll be waiting to sign up on Seahawks.net to get my 1 post in before I get the ban hammer.

The NFL plans to expand the playoffs to 14 teams by 2015; so odds are a 10-6 team will not miss the playoffs. Odds are great that 8-8 or even 7-9 team will be a regular in the playoffs.

I think anyone expecting double digit wins or even playoffs in 2014 are dreaming. 2012 was a fluke. Even during that run, it just masked out weaknesses. I figure it will take Jay 2 seasons to things working.

2014: 6-10 most likely but we could maybe sneak to 8-8.

2015: 10-6- Wild Card playoff run, maybe even winning one playoff game.

2016: 14-2- Super Bowl Run, our Superbowl window is now open for 3-4 years

Dan Snyder has never had a coach do good in his first year. At best was Marty's 8-8 and Zorn's 8-8.

I don't think it's fair to say that fans that are predicting a double digit season or playoff berth are dreaming...I'm predicting that. Wanna know why? It's because I'm a diehard fan, and I predict a very great season EACH year. Dreaming has nothing to do with it.

What I do like is the Jags, Texans, Cards, Vikes, and Bucs may all have new or rookie starting QBs next year! Also Haslett has the NFC East's number when it comes to their offensive schemes. We shut down New York and Dallas the last few years on defense. And he's going to dissect the Eagles this off-season. They on the other hand, won't know what's coming on our offense!

It's a tough schedule because the NFC West is the best division in football. Getting the AFC South is good news though. And we get the Vikings from the North, so that means other East teams have to play the Pack, Bears and Lions (all better than the Vikings). I could complain about Atlanta, but it's not like New Orleans or Carolina are push overs. That too is a good division. And keep in mind that our own division simply isn't that good.

So, all things being equal, it's a fairly tough schedule, but it could be worse.

Still, I read that schedule and can't help but think that we sure need to get our OL fixed. If that doesn't happen, our schedule won't even matter.

Archived