Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tips on being a Washington Redskins Fan for a new convert!

RED_DREADS

billy-madison-face-jiggle-o.gif

Ā 

Escape while you still can!

Ā 

LOL, I was going to say "Don't". <thats my tip. lol.

Ā 

OP, look, right now is a bad time to ask for advise. lol. I was in your shoes a week or two ago. seriously. I found myself looking at the top of NFL.com and wondering what other team I could park my allegience to. The Redskins are definitely the offseason winners. Either with coaches or players. I'm still on that fence regarding allegience but it all boils down to what they do with Haslett. If they keep him then it's just the Redksins spinning their wheels yet again in mediocracy.

I think if I were you I would become a San Francisco 49ers fan just going off of the reasons you picked the Redskins. If I was starting new I would pick a winner and they are a young team that is going to be good for awhile.Ā 

Ā 

My fear is I'll pick some other team and they will start sucking as bad as the Skins leaving me to think I was the person with the bad luck. lol.

Come on guys, the Redskins are aĀ solid franchise at least as viewed by other fans.

We are on our way and have an awesome fanbase.Ā  To have a fanbase stay fans during the past 20+ years shows that the fans are dedicated to "their" team.Ā  The Patriots fans are not true fans.Ā  My wife is from Boston and doesn't really follow football, but she said everyone hated the Patriots before they were good.Ā  Everyone jumped on board when they were good.Ā  Basically they are bandwagon.

Ā 

What I'm trying to stay is stay dedicated whether they are winning or losing, fly the colors, especailly when they are losing, because that is when they need it the most.....and HTTR!!!!!!

Who you calling a alcholic? keeping a bottle of vodka and absinthe by me on game days with a 6 pack of Reds Apple Ale Strawberry edition doesn't make me a alcoholic.

Maybe not but the Reds puts your man card into question. :P

I'm trying SO hard to understand but no matter how I try rationalise it I can't grasp moving from one team to another.

That to me, however you try justify it, makes you much less a 'fan' and much more a 'customer.'

Fandom doesn't work like that. More often than not, rightly or wrongly, his/ her team is the most important thing in a fans life outside of their faith and family. Often passed down within that family from one generation to the next. Being a fan of a sports team is not something you can switch at will like doing the weekly grocery shop and deciding 'Walmart's too expensive this week so we're shopping at Giant.'

Nothing personal man, as I'd say the same to anyone doing the same; but I can't offer you advice on being a fan of my team as you're not a 'fan' to start with.

Hail.

Ā 

Well, I was around when players were signed for life with a team. Then Free Agency came along and it's not the same. As I sat in my home thinking about switching I wondered where all the loyalty went? Coaches come and go like candy, there is no loyalty from the players cause its just business. Couple more years and RG3 might be with some other team. It's a business now and it's all about the money. So if there is no player loyalty why are the fans so loyal? and to what? the brand? the logo? the colors? I found myself also wondering how many fans are simply loyal to a specific player and will follow him throughout his career? I imagine their families do that as well as coaches who get fired and picked up elsewhere.

Ā 

Your right, how could any fan really do that? well I found myself being burnt out from the hiring of coach, after coach, after coach, after coach. The never having the players needed. Sitting back and taking my own advise I give people .... if your in a marriage and abuse starts you leave, then you get into another relationship and then abuse starts you leave, and you get into yet another relationship and it turns to abuse... at some point you have to decide what is the common factor in all those relationships? YOU. So what are you doing or not doing that eventually turns relationships to abuse?

Ā 

and I applied it to the Skins. They have seen coach after coach after coach and get the same results. They have been big spenders in FA picking up big names but again the same results. They have drafted, drafted, and drafted with the same results. They fired the GM and brought in someone new with the same results. So what is the common factor? Dan Snyder. I know he wants to win I don't doubt that but whatever he's doing .... is not working. I too am on my last leg. This is the area I was born and grew up in, the Redskins are my home team, I can't imagine rooting for another team but I also can't imagine rooting for a bad team year after year after year. Everyone has a breaking point. This dude or dudette hit theirs. I commend them for saying enough is enough, proud they picked the Skins but wonder if it was the best choice for them.

I'm guessing a former Buffalo Bills fan.

Ā 

No playoff appearances since 1999, no division titles since 1995.

Ā 

Even the Browns made it into the playoffs in 2002.

Yeah Bills is a good guess. I'd say Raiders but he specified more than one SB bowl. He cares about legacy and bigger issues like race and the history of discrimination in the sport.

Another, less intuitive guess could be Kansas City. They just suffered a brutal playoff loss and have had all kinds of rough stuff happen. They only won the one SB back in 1970, so it's been a long, tough run for them.

And the color scheme is similar. But a KC fan leaving his team would be very unusual.

vriel...many pro team-sports fans who also are also mental health professionals have a great deal of fun with the lines of thought you expressed so well in post #136. It's fun to note just how voluntary this particular form of staying in dysfunctional and unsatisfying choice-making in a relationship (and that's what you have with many institutions over time... a relationship) is and how here "loyalty" knows no bounds.

Ā 

So many of us make and defend this very conscious choice (often militantly so) to not "move on" from the relationship though we might in so many other relationship contexts (jobs/friends/romances) were they similarly full of so many negative/disrupting/disturbing emotions so often for so long.

Ā 

And in this case, we can't even claim much major benefit ---rationales as normally offered in attempt support decisions made in questionable relationships when asked "why do you continue"---as to what we get out of all our "holding on no matter what" when you're a perennial loser far more than not.

Ā 

Being human is just fascinating, among other things.Ā  :P

Sorry Vriel, however you try rationalise it I will NEVER understand switching teams. Even less after 10 years with a team.Ā 

Ā 

Reading your response, you can't equate it to players/ Coaches/ Hell, even teams et all having no loyalty so 'why should we?' The bond between fan and team, through good times and bad, is a lifelong affair. There's no rationale to it. There's no rationale for me to be on a team message board of our mutual shared passion typing to you day after day. To the layman, the relationship between a fan and his team is pure asinine madness far out of any rational reality of the 'normal World.' And as such you can't start to compare it to an abusive marriage/ bad film/ bad restaurant et all. In 'the real World', you have choices. When your a fan, you don't. Your team is yours for life. Or you were never a fan to begin with.

Ā 

I can only presume that deep down you realise this as you never 'jumped ship' so to speak and are still here.Ā 

Ā 

Again, nothing personal against the OP, but if he was a true 'fan', he'd be going into year 11 with the team he was never a 'true' fan of in the first place.Ā 

Ā 

Maybe he sticks, maybe he doesn't. And he's welcome here as it's a democratic message board that is the best in all of sports.Ā 

Ā 

But there's nothing to say 2, 4, 5 , 10 years down the line he may well move on again if we had a worse case scenario and stunk the joint up as he is now doing.Ā 

Ā 

That's not a 'fan.' That's a 'consumer' moving to whatever product suits him best at a particular time.Ā 

Ā 

And with no disrespect intended to the OP as this is a general thought and not a personal one; that type of attitude is the very last I want associated with my team.Ā 

Ā 

Hail.Ā 

I think it might have something to do with this quote from him, "I will be the only one in my family representing the Redskins, there is two Eagles fans, three Giants fans and everybody else likes Dallas."

Ā 

Anyone that lives in a family with fans of those teams would likely grow up with an extreme hate of those teams, which leads to the inevitable step. Ā 

Ā 

That's actually how I became a Redsox fan...

Ā 

Sometimes, you can become a diehard fan in other ways than just being born into it. Ā I know it's not often done, but I'll give him the chance.

That is a great story.Ā  My dad grew up in Maryland.Ā  His mother was a huge Redskins fan, but didn't watch baseball.Ā  My dad grew up a huge Redskins fan, which is where my brother and I got our fandom from at birth, but he also had a love for baseball but didn't feel a connection to DC baseball as a kid because he felt the team had no identity (switching between Senators and Nationals back and forth for his young life).Ā  He had a kid who went to his school that was a jerk and loved the Yankees, so he started rooting for the Redsox just to mess with the kid (plus, he liked the fact that the Redskins originated in Boston and shared Fenway with the Redsox, and because one of the reasonsĀ they chose the name Redskins when changing it from the Braves was to be more similar to the Redsox).Ā 

Ā 

HeĀ eventually became a diehard fan of the Redsox, which, again, is why my brother and I are also Redsox fans.Ā  So, I completely understand where you're coming from and agree 100% with you that there are others ways that people become diehard fans of a team other than just being born into it.

From 2002-2009, both the Raiders and the Lions averaged 4 wins per season lol...I'm pretty sure the Skins never had a losing span that pathetic. It would take a helluva lot to overcome those disastrous runs and top those teams for worst W/L records in the league.

Then prepare to be amazed my friend. Ā Here are the results, in order of season records since, and including, 1993 after Gibbs' last season (since that was the beginning of the Skins fall from glory). Ā I will say, I was wrong, the Skins are not close to the worst (Cleveland) as far as record goes. Ā 

Ā 

The Skins are the 6th worst in the last 21 seasons.Ā 

Ā 

I don't think anyone can be worse than the Browns. Ā I'd guess RED was a Browns fan.

Ā 

Rank - Team: W/L/T - W % - playoff record - # years in playoffs - SB record

32 - Browns: 100/188 - .347 - 1/2 - 2 years - 0/0 ('96-'98 they didn't exist)

31 - Lions: 125/211 - .372 - 0/6 - 6 years - 0/0

30 - Cardinals: 135/201 - .402 - 5/3 - 3 years - 0/1

29 - Bengals: 137/198/1 - .408 - 0/5 - 5 years - 0/0

28 - Texans: 79/113 - .411 - 2/2 - 2 years - 0/0 (only around since 2002)

27 - Redskins: 140/195/1 - .417 - 2/4 - 4 years - 0/0 (over the Raiders by a tie, of course, the Raiders have gone to a SB in that time)

26 - Raiders: 140/196 - .417 - 5/4 - 4 years - 0/1

25 - Rams: 129/175 - .424 - 6/4 - 5 years - 1/1 (only season since move in '95)

24 - Bills: 154/182 - .458 - 3/5 - 5 years - 0/1

23 - Bucs: 157/179 - .467 - 5/6 - 7 years - 1/0

22 - Panthers: 144/160 - .474 - 6/5 - 5 years - 0/1 (only around since 1995) (one more playoff win, and SB appearance)

21 - Jaguars: 144/160 - .474 - 5/6 - 6 years - 0/0 (only around since 1995)

20 - Jets: 160/176 - .476 - 7/7 - 7 years - 0/0

19 - Bears: 164/172 - .488 - 4/5 - 5 years - 0/1

18 - Saints: 165/171 - .491 - 7/5 - 6 years - 1/0

17 - Falcons: 166/169/1 - .494 - 5/8 - 8 years - 0/1

16 - Chargers: 171/165 - .509 - 6/7 - 7 years - 0/1 (more playoff wins than Dolphins or Chiefs, and SB appearance)

15 - Dolphins: 171/165 - .509 - 4/8 - 8 years - 0/0 (more playoff wins than Chiefs)

14 - Chiefs: 171/165 - .509 - 2/8 - 8 years - 0/0

13 - Seahawks: 172/164 - .512 - 7/8 (game Sun vs 49ers) - 9 years - 0/1

12 - Vikings: 178/158 - .530 - 6/11 - 11 years - 0/0

11 - Giants: 179/156/1 - .533 - 11/7 - 9 years - 2/1

10 - Cowboys: 182/154 - .542 - 9/8 - 10 years - 2/0

9 - Titans: 148/124 - .544 - 5/6 - 6 years - 0/1 (only seasons since move in '97)

8 - Eagles: 184/150/2 - .548 - 11/12 - 12 years - 0/1

7 - Ravens: 158/129/1 - .549 - 14/7 - 9 years - 2/0

6 - 49ers: 185/151 - .551 - 13/9 (game Sun vs Seattle) - 11 years - 1/1

5 - Colts: 198/138 - .589 - 12/14 - 15 years - 1/1

4- Broncos: 200/136 - .595 - 10/8 (game Sun vs Pats) - 11 years - 2/0

3 - Steelers: 209/126/1 - .622 - 17/11 - 13 years - 2/2

2 - Packers: 213/123 - .634 - 17/14 - 16 years - 2/1

1 - Pats: 222/114 - .661 - 21/11 (game Sun vs Broncos) - 15 years - 3/3

Ā 

Okay, that's the last I say about that, back to advice for RED. Ā Sorry about that.

...(plus, he liked the fact that the Redskins originated in Boston and shared Fenway with the Redsox, and because one of the reasonsĀ they chose the name Redskins when changing it from the Braves was to be more similar to the Redsox)...

That was the other thing. Ā I loved the historic ties the two teams shared.

I think you were the one with the Skins/Redsox blanket, right? Ā I was jealous, I had the Skins side, but black on the other. Ā The Redsox side was awesome too. Ā 

Welcome.

My best advice is to find another team.

Whichever one you came from, believe it or not, this one is no better.

We've got history, and we've got cachƩ, but somehow no matter what we do, our team turns into the most ridiculous sideshow imaginable.

I know you think yours does.. but you ain't seen nothin' yet.

Be prepared for hostility. it abounds. Fans are hostile, the media is hostile. The team is under more negative scrutiny than almost any other team I've ever seen. Much of the supposedly "Impartial" media seems to bear a grudge, and are not ashamed o let it color their 'reporting'.

Other fans can be hostile toward you because of the name. You'll get into a lot of idiotic debates about the name with clowns who never gave it a second thought until 6 months ago. Learn the history of the name debate.

Prepare to not only eat ****, but compare it to other **** you've eaten as if it's better. (Example: "Hey Bang, we really should have kept special teams coach Danny Smith. He's at least better than Keith Burns"

Translation: "Aw gee, i wish i still had that other turd to snack on ,it tasted better than this turd.")

Do not park on Mr. Snyder's helipad. He will bazooka your car.

And it is "Mr. Snyder". Calling him Dan makes him feel short and petty.

Just kidding, hovering Redskins lawyer - (required disclaimer when making a joke about Mr. Snyder.)

This is required because Mr. Snyder does hover around here making sure none of us call him Stinkerbell or Runt-in-Chief or anything else like that. it is thought he goes by the name "Jumbo", so watch your step.

~Bang

Who you calling a alcholic?Ā  keeping a bottle of vodka and absinthe by me on game days with aĀ 6 pack of Reds Apple Ale Strawberry edition doesn't make me a alcoholic.

Ā 

Drinking Reds Apple Ale Strawberry doesn't make you an alcoholic.Ā  It makes you a 19 year old sorority sister.

;)

Ā 

Ā Ā 

Welcome aboard sir. Like others have said, be ready for disappointment. There will be tons of it.

Ā 

But, once it actually sinks in that you are a Skins fan, should you decide to stay, you will be in for a ride. There have been lots of times that I have sworn that I was giving up on them and finding more productive things to do with my Sundays only to be sitting in the recliner at 1:00 wearing a jersey and screaming at the TV.

Ā 

On the other hand I can remember being 13 and making a big sign and nailing it to my front porch after the Skins torched the Broncos in the SB. Growing up watching the Hogs, Smurfs, the Fun Bunch, the Diesel and Joe Gibbs (who I got to meet about a year ago) has made for a great football life for me. I hold out hope for a return to those days.

Ā 

For me it's like a weed in your grass. Once it's there you can't get rid of the damn thing.

Ā 

Anyway, buy in 100% (for good and bad) and enjoy the ride. Go Skins!

My question is to GIBBS HOG HEAVEN. What if you was born into a Cleveland Brown family? Would you stay with that team forever even though they appear to be somewhat cursed? My situation is unique since I was born outside the continental U.S. but I live with family who were born here. After getting into Football I chose a team and stuck with them through high school and a few years after until realizing "this crap aint fun anymore, these guys are not even trying to improve", so I decided to "Fire" them.

Ā 

Believe me, I honestly can't see why you guys think this team is all doom and gloom. So you guys had some down years. From what I've researched, you guys actually compete on the field. Your glory years were not that long ago. I'm gonna lay low with creating new threads but I plan on supporting this team in 2014. Thanks everyone for your posts.

You know, there are all kinds of fans.Ā  People watch sports for all kinds of reasons.Ā Ā The Redskins can pitch a big tent (tepee?)Ā for other types of fans - the casual fan, the bandwagon fan, the johnny-come-lately's...Ā  In the grand scheme of things, what difference does it make?Ā 

Ā 

Welcome red_dreads.Ā  I hope your timing in finding this new allegiance is spot on.Ā  The Redskins are overdue for some glory years.Ā  Many of us know that all too well.

Archived