Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tips on being a Washington Redskins Fan for a new convert!

RED_DREADS

Honestly, I'm considering letting my kids find their own teams when I have them. This team has caused me not much more than suffering in my 20 years of life

my wife tells me this all the time. its hard though because my son is growing up in a pro redskins house. i dont know how he would like another team if im always rooting for/talking about/watching the redskins. i can't just say, you are going to like the patriots, even though i'll never talk about them, and they rarely come on tv. maybe when he's older and understands the game more, he may branch off and have his own favorite team. but until then, he's just gonna do what his daddy does.

Nor sure why you would leave one dumpster fire to jump into another one.  But hey, I've been a Redskins fan since long before ESPN and cable TV was even around.  Even though this team is still a dumpster fire, by God it's my dumpster fire and I'll be with it to the end. 

P.S. For some good laughs, make sure you get onto the game day thread each week.  You'll laugh some, cry some, rage some, even learn some, and it's always entertaining.

Sorry Vriel, however you try rationalise it I will NEVER understand switching teams. Even less after 10 years with a team. 

Reading your response, you can't equate it to players/ Coaches/ Hell, even teams et all having no loyalty so 'why should we?' The bond between fan and team, through good times and bad, is a lifelong affair. There's no rationale to it. There's no rationale for me to be on a team message board of our mutual shared passion typing to you day after day. To the layman, the relationship between a fan and his team is pure asinine madness far out of any rational reality of the 'normal World.' And as such you can't start to compare it to an abusive marriage/ bad film/ bad restaurant et all. In 'the real World', you have choices. When your a fan, you don't. Your team is yours for life. Or you were never a fan to begin with.

I can only presume that deep down you realise this as you never 'jumped ship' so to speak and are still here. 

Again, nothing personal against the OP, but if he was a true 'fan', he'd be going into year 11 with the team he was never a 'true' fan of in the first place. 

Maybe he sticks, maybe he doesn't. And he's welcome here as it's a democratic message board that is the best in all of sports. 

But there's nothing to say 2, 4, 5 , 10 years down the line he may well move on again if we had a worse case scenario and stunk the joint up as he is now doing. 

That's not a 'fan.' That's a 'consumer' moving to whatever product suits him best at a particular time. 

And with no disrespect intended to the OP as this is a general thought and not a personal one; that type of attitude is the very last I want associated with my team. 

Hail. 

Now were getting into what is a fan? and when it comes to that definition EVERYONE will have their own ideas. Some may be similar or close in nature but they will be different. It's hard to walk away yes, but even harder thinking that my luck I'll go all in with another team and the Skins will be in the SB next year. The problem is every year they look like SB contenders on paper.... well except the Zorn years. LOL.

I've been a fan since 1970 right after Lombardi died & Allen came aboard.  I watched our first Superbowl against the "perfect" Dolphins.  I've been through more ups & downs & merry go 'rounds than you can ever possibly imagine.  Being a "fan" is very much like being married.  I met a wonderful woman 29 years ago. When you meet the "one" it just simply.....is.  We married and had 4 beautiful daughters.  Just as with my beloved 'Skins, it takes perseverance, forgiveness, and fortitude. My wife and I have stuck together & always will-just an unexplained bond of life.  It is EXACTLY the same for my wonderful & wacky & maddening Redskins. It is truly the best representation I can imagine; if you become a true fan you are married to THAT team.  It's just how it is.  I hope you stick it out and enjoy the ride. HTTR

"In todays news, Riggo'sRangers divorced his wife and favorite football team. Now on to the weather....Pete."

Edit: JK.

Living in Anne Arundel county a dividing line for the Redskins and Ravens it's sad seeing and hearing kids in elementary/middle/high school say the Redskins have sucked their whole life and explain why the became Ravens fans.

Remind them the Ravens were the suckfest Browns before. ;)

Atleast you picked a team that has a band. ;)

OH and supposedly the hottest cheerleaders in the NFL. .... according to us fans and most NFL players.

"In todays news, Riggo'sRangers divorced his wife and favorite football team. Now on to the weather....Pete."

Edit: JK.

Remind them the Ravens were the suckfest Browns before. ;)

Atleast you picked a team that has a band. ;)

OH and supposedly the hottest cheerleaders in the NFL. .... according to us fans and most NFL players.

Off topic but the Ravens do have a band and cheerleaders, male cheerleaders.

In fact a friend of my wife dated one of the male cheerleaders. The guy was a complete Baltimore douche. Always busting my chops about the Skins.

I could care less about the boys in the purple long johns.

I'm trying SO hard to understand but no matter how I try rationalise it I can't grasp moving from one team to another.

When you think about - switching teams is not that much more crazier then sticking with one that goes on a 20 year plus run of  mediocrity - that seems pretty damn incomprehensible, sometimes

I'm B&G until the day I die, but I could certainly understand how someone can look at me and have the same opinion you have about "team switchers." 

I know the reasons why you stick by a team - I live and breath them. 

But look at the Skins the last 20 years.  It's not just losing ... if it was just losing, it would be a bitter, but easier pill to swallow. 

It's the embarrassment, its the lack of respect, and its the disdain people feel about this team universally that makes it hard sometimes. 

Not one NFC East title game in 22 years.  Only 3 double digit win seasons in that span. The Bills have 6, Texans have 4 and they came into the league 2002. 

When I flip the script, it makes it easier to understand why someone would switch allegiances - even though I could never do it. 

Welcome Red! It hasn't been much to cheer about in the last two decades, but hopefully your picking the best time to become one as our future does looks promising unlike the Browns/Jets or Bills (assuming you were a fan of either team).

If the skins become elite in 2014, you can always brag about how you became a skins fan when they were 3-13, not because they were winning.

Hello everybody, not new to football, I decided to abandon ship from a horrible NFL Team which shall remain nameless (they completely suck) after almost a decade of faithfulness to that dumpster fire of a team.

Decided I needed to hit the reset button and a fresh start so I chose the Redskins for a few reasons. An African American at the QB position (can he handle the stereotypical stigma and flourish or fail?), you guys have won more than one super bowl, your uniform is very distinctive and stands out, you guys represent the nation's capital, and I hate Dallas and y'all play them twice every year with the potential to sweep them.

I read up on the history of the team which has a horrible past concerning racism (the last team to have African American players and was forced to by the U.S. Government), to Joe Gibbs, the Hogs, all the way up to the present with the hiring of Gruden. I've even watched all three super bowls by ordering them free on demand. My favorite won was against the Buffalo Bills.

Anyway, I live in New York, I'm a Pacific Islander, and I plan to go to a game or two this year. Just looking for any feedback and if anybody want to share their experiences. I will be the only one in my family representing the Redskins, there is two Eagles fans, three Giants fans and everybody else likes Dallas. I hope we have a winning record this year and take the division again this year so I can start talking smack!

I have been a loyal fan since 1983 (age 9) and one thing I can say is that this team has been a bit snake bitten since 1993-1994. I do think we have the most loyal fan base in the NFL ahead of the Cowturds. We also have many fair weather  fans who frequent this forum. Take everything in stride and stay loyal, loud and proud. This is a great team regardless and always fun to be around in live situations.

Games: Park in the cash lot off the Landover Road exit if you don't have a parking pass. tailgate and be in the stadium 30 minutes prior to kickoff. Be loud during the game (we need to be like Seattle or like this past Cowturds game) and don't sit in the 200 section on the away side. Welcome and hopefully the coaching youth movement will bring brighter days to this awesome franchise!! HTTR!!!

Wow. I've never in my life met anyone who deliberately CHOSE the Redskins as a new favorite team well into adulthood.

Most of us either were born into a Redskins family or were old enough to witness the Super Bowl years and became a fan at a young age.

Having a clean slate and starting fresh, I'm puzzled to why you didn't choose an up and coming perennial playoff team like SF or SEA (to my disgust).

I don't know whether to applaud you for your bravery or just shake my head.

This dude has to be from the Factory of Sadness. I would jump ship if I was a Browns fan. Shoot even the colors are the colors of poo.

Cleveland Browns fans are pretty dedicated, but Haslam is turning that team into a joke. No, I don't think their losing record makes them a joke. I thought they made great strides this past season, just to turn and get rid of a great coaching staff after one year.

I have never thought about jumping ship on the Skins. I have always said that the franchise needs to fold first. Then where would I go? I thought the Ravens, then I was like HELL NO! I 'm not wearing purple. I thought the Panthers, then I thought about calling them the pussies when they lose. It won't be another NFC East team, so I don't know where I'd go.

I will say that once you become a Redskins fan, the only way out is piece by piece. You will have a slow agonizing death if you leave. So make your decision wisely.

Having a clean slate and starting fresh, I'm puzzled to why you didn't choose an up and coming perennial playoff team like SF or SEA (to my disgust).

I think he should be applauded in picking a team that looks like they have a good future without picking the team that definitely has the good future. Whether or not you like RG3, he has been bringing us new fans.

Plus the colors are addicting. I think these colors are the most unique in the league, but that could just be my homerism talking.

Being a Redskin fan since the 60's, I have trouble understanding anyone switching teams. Even so, welcome aboard Red. For a lifelong fan, losing hits hard but the emotional attachment makes winning much more sweet. Redskin fans often feel depressed on Monday mornings, they shed tears when Sean was murdered, they shed tears when Super Bowls were won or lost. They deal with the mediots that twist everything around and have to live with the never ending FO saga. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Welcome aboard, you're in for a roller coaster ride for sure.

We''l see how things develop next year. It can't be any worse than this one.

Hail!

Welcome friend.  You're coming into the Redskins at a good time.  I don't expect miracles but we'll be better than last year.  Have patience and enjoy the burgandy and gold.  Oh, get a jersey.....I've got a real nice throwback Griffin jersey....which I wear every Sunday. 

Well, he seems like an obvious troll to me.  I don't know what else to say Dan.  :/

RED, I just want to point out, I called it.  lol

I understand 100% where Taze and GHH are coming from, but stick around long enough and people will come around.  

Don't let us hardcore fans get you down.  It's just a trust thing, and time works wonders.

So, continue to hang around and post.  That's the only thing you need to do.

You picked the right team and organization.  We are so bad that we're going to screw up failing again and win a championship or two.  We've failed for so long, kept the same strategy for so long, and have never won anything under Snyder that it's going to eventually work in our favor just because we ultimately ended up failing at sucking.  

Things you should know or do:

1)  Embrace the suckiness

2)  Never say a bad thing about Robert (He's our quarterback and he's as sensitive as a librarian with a hangover.  You don't want to get into a Facebook dispute with him.  You will lose.)

3)  We now have many African Americans on our team so we're equal opportunity and all which is good. 

4)  John Riggins is the father that you never had...all knowledgable, strong as an ox, and a chic magnet. If you see him at the bar, sit down next to him and wait for the magic to happen.  

5)  Snyder (our owner) is the devil but he's charitable and really loves the Redskins, so we all tolerate him for the most part.  His act is getting old though so we're thinking about kicking him out.  PM TK or Zoony and ask to sign the petition.    

6)  The Hogs are never coming out of retirement and don't try to give our O-line a nickname.   The last time someone gave them a nickname, it sounded like a roommate that sleeps with any and every girl...something like "The Dirtballs" or "Douchebags" or something....can't remember.  

7)  Joe Gibbs is God disguised in bifocal glasses and a frumpy burgundy and gold sweater  

That's it!  Welcome!

HTTR=Hail to The Redskins

In addition to the other posts:

1. Shanahan is, was, and always will be Satan's right hand.

2. Niles Paul is Shannon Sharpe's alter ego who traveled through the fifth dimension to grace us with his perfect existence.

3. To ES, any and all undrafted wide receivers are going to be the second coming of the Fun Bunch.

4. Niles Paul is a member of the second coming of the Fun Bunch.

5. Brian Orakpo is the best/worst linebacker in the history of the league.

6. The above is the God given truth and if you disagree you are a heretic.

7. You don't want to be a heretic.

8. Niles Paul doesn't like heretics.

9. If you meet an ES admin in real life and he says "Hi there", your best chance is to avoid eye-contact and sudden movements while slowly backing away.

10. I'm not 100% correct on everything. I'm only 99.99% correct, so don't feel too ashamed of yourself when you see me stating my God given opinions after you make your foolish posts that use those icky, overrated things like common sense.

When you think about - switching teams is not that much more crazier then sticking with one that goes on a 20 year plus run of mediocrity - that seems pretty damn incomprehensible, sometimes.

I'm B&G until the day I die, but I could certainly understand how someone can look at me and have the same opinion you have about "team switchers."

I know the reasons why you stick by a team - I live and breath them.

But look at the Skins the last 20 years. It's not just losing ... if it was just losing, it would be a bitter, but easier pill to swallow.

It's the embarrassment, its the lack of respect, and its the disdain people feel about this team universally that makes it hard sometimes.

Not one NFC East title game in 22 years. Only 3 double digit win seasons in that span. The Bills have 6, Texans have 4 and they came into the league 2002.

When I flip the script, it makes it easier to understand why someone would switch allegiances - even though I could never do it.

Add that we haven't won more than 10 games in the regular season since our SB season, while ever team in the league has had at least one 11+ win regular season during that time. And yes, the Browns had an 11 win season in 95, the Jags had an 11 win season and even the Raiders and Lions.

Come on guys, the Redskins are a solid franchise at least as viewed by other fans.

tumblr_m0lar1v9zJ1qc882co1_500.gif

I am feeling sleepy, berry sleepy.....

Wow. I've never in my life met anyone who deliberately CHOSE the Redskins as a new favorite team well into adulthood.

Most of us either were born into a Redskins family or were old enough to witness the Super Bowl years and became a fan at a young age.

It is kinda like having one leg...the younger guys have trouble with it and struggle to carry on, the older guys have gotten used to it and remember when they had two legs, both a this point would choose to have two legs again if it were under their control. Nobody with two legs would choose to join them. 

Archived