Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN980 Cooley: Mike Shanahan called plays on defense sometimes and hamstrung Haslett

SteveFromYellowstone

While I am stunned he was retained I am not overly concerned for some reason. I see teams league wide getting gashed weekly. There are a few elite D's and I don't think its rocket science to know that the GM getting great players has a bigger hand in it. Its maybe not so much that nameless DC you coveted more than Haslet. 

Look at the great Ds, are they a bunch of lunch pail guys in a great scheme, or are they a bunch of studs? 

On paper its so outrageous that he is retained you know, perhaps its for a reason. And the reason being, Mike "the meddler" Shanahan is old news and everyone in the game knows it. Apparently he started meddling in year 2 but that is the first report. He has probably been destroying his own defenses for decades and likely here in DC in year one by switching to the 3-4. It was a failure. 

Its time to rally the troops around Haslet. He should have a short leash to anyone concerned. 

I am not concerned. Look at the good offenses league wide. They bail out the defenses more than vice versa. And our offense is in the shop getting repaired right now.

I disagree with this partially.  Not like we are going to the superbowl or anything next year, but the teams with the "weaker" defenses tend to be the ones left in the dust for the playoffs.  The Patriots are pretty much the only team that has had success with a crappy defense.  I am curious for the Pats this year as there D is much stronger then previous years.  But 49ers, Ravens, Giants, Steelers, Seahawks, Saints all had pretty dominating defenses while playing in the big games.  However the bar for this defense is set very low for next year so I suspect we will see progress (I hope).

I listened to the press conference...I did not hear Gurden say he would keep Haslett as defense coach but he would be doing interviews to  get the best coach but he did like the 34...I think getting better talent in players and coaching them up and holding them accountable will do wonders for this team...So watch the moves on the lines for both offense and defense.. if we still have the same turds out there on the the o-line ..then nothing has changed. outside of Trent Williams..our o-line is weak and our biggest problem ..then defensive secondary.

We are officialy in offseason amensia. Anyone defending Haslett or even offering some kind of idiotic apology like "Shanahan" hamstrung him won't be delusional in week 1 game of 2014 when Haslett's defense gets gashed drive after drive.

The Haslett spin will be very interesting to follow if he is kept on staff. He's a ****ing loser but somehow it was all Red Lobsters fault. smh

How did Haslet manage a respectable defense over the last 9 games.... did Mike finally get him that big stout nose?

No, but Baker got more reps.  We finished ranked where again? 15th?

Not bad for a pathetic team that finished 3-13. 

Did he get lucky, could any old DC have done that.

Its fun to bash Haslet heck I used to do it myself. But it became clear to me long before you clicked that link that Mike retained him all these years because it was likely Mike's defense. Eventually, you have to blame his boss for not replacing him. Right? 

About Haslet in his previous stops, are you saying he could not have learned anything from those atrocious defenses, and that is the measuring stick... did he have a great GM loading him up with great players like the 49ers, Ravens, Giants, Steelers, and Seahawks? 

Even shopping for head coaches, what have you done for me lately seemed a current theme. Gruden lost? Oh no I dont want him!!  

A one game sample size seemed all many needed to see. 

Do not reply. I am not advocating keeping him. I am trying to rationalize why he is still here. If they keep him, blame Gruden. Not me 

This is interesting.  What would be even more interesting is as a breakout of all of the times Mike called the defensive play.  Was it this one time?  Was it all the times that there was a negative result? 

Every time our defense allowed points Shanahan called that play.  Every time we got a sack or forced a turnover it was Haslett's call.  That sob shanahan has been doing this to Haslett his entire career.

How did Haslet manage a respectable defense over the last 9 games.... did Mike finally get him that big stout nose?

No, but Baker got more reps.  We finished ranked where again? 15th?

Not bad for a pathetic team that finished 3-13. 

Did he get lucky, could any old DC have done that.

Its fun to bash Haslet heck I used to do it myself. But it became clear to me long before you clicked that link that Mike retained him all these years because it was likely Mike's defense. Eventually, you have to blame his boss for not replacing him. Right? 

About Haslet in his previous stops, are you saying he could not have learned anything from those atrocious defenses, and that is the measuring stick... did he have a great GM with loading him up with great players like the 49ers, Ravens, Giants, Steelers, and Seahawks? 

Even shopping for head coaches, what have you done for me lately seemed a current theme. Gruden lost? Oh no I dont want him!!  

A one game sample size seemed all many needed to see. 

Do not reply. I am not advocating keeping him. I am trying to rationalize why he is still here. If they keep him, blame Gruden. Not me 

We finished 18th, but 2nd worst in scoring defense.  2nd worst against the pass on a per play basis and 16th against the run.  We were still awful but teams didn't have to run up the score on us as much as earlier in the season.

Any of you Haslett-apologists happened to see that the D's unquestioned leader over the past 6 years came out today in support of promoting Raheem to DC?

London Fletcher ‏@LFletcher59

I think Morris as DC would be great choice! Brings energy & excitement! Would feel pretty good about HC, DC, & OC then!

I know some of y'all are trying to find a silver-lining here... but, just don't.  What is happening here is that we have a DC who is unable to get his guys ready to play on Sundays.

Jay Gruden seems like an awesome guy, but he just fumbled the first snap of the game by keeping 'ol Slim Jim around for another season.

Any of you Haslett-apologists happened to see that the D's unquestioned leader over the past 6 years came out today in support of promoting Raheem to DC?

I know some of y'all are trying to find a silver-lining here... but, just don't.  What is happening here is that we have a DC who is unable to get his guys ready to play on Sundays.

Jay Gruden seems like an awesome guy, but he just fumbled the first snap of the game by keeping 'ol Slim Jim around for another season.

The real question is how many of the plays Shanny called turned out better than what Haz would have called. If the head coach wants the wheel from one of his coordinators, it tells me he doesn't trust him and doesn't have the authority to fire him. 

Apparently neither does Gruden.

I keep repeating it here on ES so forgive me but I just don't have much more to say about it... I was baffled from day one about hiring Jim Haslett. I never respected a single one of his defenses. 

Uh oh, Shanny's not going to like the idea that leaking can be a two way street.

I don't really buy this rationalize of Haslett's performance.  It was too uniformly terrible.  It wasn't one bad play here or there.  The good play was the exception.

Here is my thing with Haslett it does not seem that he develops players to perform well...  Can you think of any player that seems to get better every year?

Isn't this really the position coaches responsibility? I don't need to see my DC working tip drills with DBs. He's there to develop a game plan with the personnel he has, based on input from the position coaches.

Which, I think, explains why the LBs didn't really get better under Shanny. His LB coach sucked. Bad suck. And no one was turning Rambo from a 6th rounder into a starting S in 1 year. He had issues (noted by many experts) coming out of college.

We are officialy in offseason amensia. Anyone defending Haslett or even offering some kind of idiotic apology like "Shanahan" hamstrung him won't be delusional in week 1 game of 2014 when Haslett's defense gets gashed drive after drive.

The Haslett spin will be very interesting to follow if he is kept on staff. He's a ****ing loser but somehow it was all Red Lobsters fault. smh

I was about to think that folks must be high on eggnog or some strong DC prescription marijuana.  Haslett's defense were beyond bad.  We have seen good defenses, we have seen decent defenses and we have seen atrocious defenses.  If in 4 years he can't teach or stress proper tackling technic I don't know when he will.  If on 3rd and 2 his corners are playing 12 yards off the ball, I don't know when he will correct it.  If on 3rd and long folks have a high completion percentage for 1st downs, I don't know when he will correct it.  

The NFCE teams know exactly what to expect from a Haslett coached defense...  

My goodness.  This board thinks Shanny was the devil himself.  Maybe Mike tried to call a few plays here and there because Haslett wasn't doing a good enough job himself.  It might take a couple years before you realize Mike left this team in better shape then we give him credit for.

If you are the coach and you think the guy is that incompetent, then you fire the guy.  You don't let him hang around for a couple more seasons.  You fire him for the benefit of the team.  Sounds like Mike kept Jim Haslett around because he felt like Haslett was someone he could control.  Any self respecting DC would have told Shanahan to go screw himself.

As long as the defense remains in a 34 with this current roster, it won't matter who the DC is. But obviously Haslett isn't comfortable with the 34, and I don't believe Morris had any previous experience with the 34. So, if Gruden is in fact going to roll with a 34, then why in the blue hell would he make either Haslett or Morris the DC?!

Archived