Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN980 Cooley: Mike Shanahan called plays on defense sometimes and hamstrung Haslett

SteveFromYellowstone

I'm not sure what to make of this.  If this is the case that's horrible, but at the same time, we don't know when Mike was calling plays and when Jim was calling plays.  All we know for sure is the Defense was horrible for the last four years.  It's hard to place blame unless we can tell what and when plays were called by Mike and or Jim.  All I know is I can see Mike pulling players in favor of others.  I really like Amerson and I see he wasn't always in the game.  What better way for players (rookies) to learn, especially when the season is done, but by putting them in.  I'm curious to see what Thomas has now that he's coming back from injury.  I also was hoping we gave Chase Minnifield a shot in the DB spot this year.  But I guess we'll wait and see..

Gregg Williams did the same thing the year after Springs had 6 sacks. 

I can only think that it had something to do with the weak secondary. Haslett blitzed all the time. And then it just stopped. So, it has me thinking about what was really going at Redskins Park. If Haslett is so bad, why is he still on the staff?

I can only think that it had something to do with the weak secondary. Haslett blitzed all the time. And then it just stopped. So, it has me thinking about what was really going at Redskins Park. If Haslett is so bad, why is he still on the staff?

Perhaps a change in philosophy during the offseason(s).... or perhaps its a part of being a DC, you HAVE to be unpredictable. And there is only one way to do that, do things out of <what we would call their> character.

I just wish the change ups occurred during games, just not during offseasons.

We may all be reading too much into Haslett still milling around. We have to give Gruden time before we beat ourselves up over it.

I just don't understand, what makes all you "football experts" think that you know for a fact haslett is trash and a bad coach who the players wont believe in just because you can google some stats that say some of his defenses were mediocre? you know better than the players, coaches, gm, and organization who have been around him for years? perhaps this guy isnt as bad as you all seem to think. some of you seem to be ignoring the fact that for 2 or 3 years shanahan sat in on defensive meetings and changed the gameplans. the fact that the organization kept him around despite the bad situation the past couple years tells me that people like the guy and think hes a good coach with something to offer.

Just asking, but why is Haslett a 4-3 guy?  I keep seeing this repeated lately.  My understanding was that Haslett played in the 3-4 and coached with Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense, and was brought here to install the 3-4 specifically because he knows it so well.

Is that not right?

Haslett has been apart of 34 defenses that more often than not struggled. He turned a very good Steelers defense into a bottom feeder defense in the span of a couple of years. From  my understanding Shanny brought Haslett here to run a 34 D. Haslett did not want to run a 34 here, he wanted to stick with the 43 we already had in place. Coaching jobs are hard to come by in the NFL so he took what was offered. Haslett might have been able to put together a decent 34 if he was allowed to pick his own staff. I do not like Haslett, but the way Shanny undermined him was sickening. Posted earlier this past season the worst thing about Haslett was not knowing if he was > or < less than Mike (Ice Cream Sandwich) Nolan.

BTW Dick LeBeau is the greatest DC of all time in my book. Wish he had him.

Hail

I just don't understand, what makes all you "football experts" think that you know for a fact haslett is trash and a bad coach who the players wont believe in just because you can google some stats that say some of his defenses were mediocre? you know better than the players, coaches, gm, and organization who have been around him for years? perhaps this guy isnt as bad as you all seem to think. some of you seem to be ignoring the fact that for 2 or 3 years shanahan sat in on defensive meetings and changed the gameplans. the fact that the organization kept him around despite the bad situation the past couple years tells me that people like the guy and think hes a good coach with something to offer.

No GM/organization wanted him, hence he was  out of the NFL. London Fletcher was bashing him on Twitter just recently. His defenses has been terrible everywhere for the most part. 

Hi, I'm KDawg. I've been one of the biggest naysayers to Haslett on this forum. I created a thread called, "The Haslett Files". In fact, I've gone as far as to say he never should have been hired. If the new DC wants to keep him, then I'm all for him being our LB coaches. He knows the game. Sorry. He does. I don't like the way he sets his defense up and calls plays, but the guy knows football. I don't give three ****s what the fan/media perception is if he's kept on. If the new DC wants him, and it's not forced on him, then I am 100% for him coaching our linebackers.

Furthermore, it appears you're arguing him being the DC. I didn't say anything about him being DC, so I'm not sure why you're using Horton or Phillips in response to me. It'll be tough to find a better LB coach than Haslett right now, for what it's worth.

I was just thinking about this yesterday. If Haslett can swallow his pride (his salary shd allow that) he'd be a very good fit as a LB coach. Certainly an improvement over Shanahan's stooge. Phillips and Spanos would be two of my top picks for DC.

I just don't understand, what makes all you "football experts" think that you know for a fact haslett is trash and a bad coach who the players wont believe in just because you can google some stats that say some of his defenses were mediocre? 

All we have to go off of are stats. His defensive teams have been awful every year he has been a coach.

I hate to say it. This is propaganda put out by the Redskins to soften the blow of keeping Haslett, who has by all accounts been the worst assistant coach on this staff for the last 4 years (with the possible exception of Burns).  Its like when a young pitcher with a sub-4 ERA gets sent to the minors because they have options, you start to hear a lot of negatives about that pitcher from the team's announcers.  Meanwhile old-timers who are performing much worse are said to have "great stuff" and such.  

Haslett is awful and was kept on for Gruden.  Having said that I will reserve judgement on this move.  Haslett can be an average D coordinator at best.  At this point that is all we may need.

What KDawg said is spot on. Give the linebackers to Haslett, and that unit will be in extraordinarily good shape. Just keep him away from drafting the scheme, game planning, and calling plays. He does not do either of those well, and especially when it comes to in-game adjustments to what the offense is showing/doing.

We should already be about 2 and a half years into a new direction defensively.  I cannot believe we are continuing to make excuses.

I don't care what the ranking is at the end.  The problem, since Haslett, is that this team WILL give up it's leads, usually via deep passes.  It's a foregone conclusion.  I think literally only once we have not allowed a team back within a touchdown (philly '12)

It worries me even more that coach Jay says he likes the 34 because it is difficult to run against.  !!!!!!!  WHO THE **** CARES?!?!  I would give every single opponent 100 yards rushing if you can tell me our defense at least has a CHANCE to stop the pass, ESPECIALLY when we have a big lead and WE KNOW THEY'RE GOING TO THROW.

I can't be the only one noticing this.  Since Haslett, a 24 point lead means NOTHING for the Redskins.  Say that out loud.  It's proven true for 4 years.

I apologize if anyone else posted this in another thread but I thought this was particularly newsworthy.

I know there were many on ES calling for Haslett's head at one time or another. Cooley said that "Shanahan called the cover 0 that broke the game open against us in the Dallas game" and that Bruce and the players think Haslett is a good defensive coach but he was severely hamstrung by Mike and let it be known to other coaches on the staff towards the end. I don't even know what to make of this. Maybe this is why Mike has had bad defense anywhere he's had full control?

I still think that Hasslet is overrtated, but if this is true, I'm giving Hasslet some slack on this.  Shanahan is just a control freak.  You're an offensive minded coach and you want to call plays in spite of your DC?  Great way to coach there, Shanny.

Some of his defenses were mediocre? Have you looked at his defenses over his career? If we were talking about a few years here and there, outliers, you would have a point.

Haslett has been coaching for 17 years and hasnt done much. Yards allowed as a defensive ranking is flawed so to be fair lets look at points.

Points allowed rankings of Haslett Defenses:

Saints DC - 1996: 20th

Took over Steelers defense after Dick LeBeau went to the Bengals in 1997 through 1999.

1997: 11

1998: 7

1999: 12

Went to the Saints:

2000: 10

2001: 27

2002: 26

2003: 14

2004: 27

2005: 28

Went to St. Louis:

2006: 28

2007: 31

2008: 31

Was out of the NFL in 2009 and then went to the Redskins in 2010:

2010: 21

2011: 21

2012: 22

2013: 30

So lets review. Haslett took over the defense that had been run by Lebeau which was already great. Did pretty well with that defense as the rankings show and then left for NO. In those 13 years since leaving the Steelers, he has had a top 10 defense once which was 10th his first year in NO. He also had a 14th ranked defense which is medicore. The other 11 years? Not one better then 21st. 11 years of defenses ranked 21 or worse out of the past 13 years. Thats not a fluke. I have seen people bring up the excuse of how bad our ST was and put the defense in bad spots. That is true this year, but the past 13 years of his defenses show that is not where all of the blame should go. He has a track record of not being able to produce even a middle of the pack defense. Thats not acceptable for a DC, especially when he has been here for 4 years already and we have seen firsthand what he can do.

Makes no sense at all to keep him as our DC.

The defenses that were called in the second half of that last Dallas game should be indictment enough. That was putrid.

And maybe HDawg or one of the other guys can clarify this, but on that 4th down play on which Dallas scored a touchdown, it looked like they ran the exact same play that they ran on the last play of the game in the 2010 opener (touchdown nullified by Tony Corrente's holding call). Were the Cowboys expecting a certain look from the D? Was this an example of the Haslett predictability that Gruden mused about after the Cinci-Skins game? I still have an empty feeling in my gut after that Dallas loss.

I watched the games this weekend, and dreamed of a Redskins defense that could be HALF as good as some I saw.

Shanny wasn't with Haslett in New Orleans, or St.Louis, was he? I don't recall seeing him there, maybe i'm wrong. So whats the excuse for those teams which had a horrible defense?

Look, the only way Haslett could have a good defense is if he had a pro bowl list of players, in which any other decent DC would have that same squad at an all-time best squad.

Players don't believe or listen to him, his schemes are bad; if he were so good, he wouldn't have been in some arena league, he'd been coaching on some other pro football team, and unfortunately he got picked to come here.

His history tells all, there's no defending him because he hasn't done anything; just cut the cord and let him go; I doubt he'd land any major coaching job in the league, hec he may not land ANY staff job in the pros.

I figured I'd add some more stats to his rankings, namely (overall rating in yards / rating in yards allowed rushing / rating in yards allowed passing)

1997: 11 (6 / 1 / 18)

1998: 7 (12 / 13 / 18)

1999: 12 (11 / 26 / 4)

Went to the Saints:

2000: 10 (8 / 10 / 10)

2001: 27  (16 / 14 / 17)

2002: 26 (27 / 19 / 27)

2003: 14 (18 / 27 / 8)

2004: 27 (32 / 30 / 27)

2005: 28 (14 / 27 / 3)

Went to St. Louis:

2006: 28 (11 / 31 / 8)

2007: 31 (21 / 20 / 21)

2008: 31 (28 / 29 / 19)

Was out of the NFL in 2009 and then went to the Redskins in 2010:

2010: 21 (31 / 26 / 31)

2011: 21 (13 / 18 / 12)

2012: 22 (28 / 5 / 30)

2013: 30 (18 / 17 / 20)

I give MS a pass on this one.

You go 3 years with a very bad defense and nothing changes, same old mistakes, same results, I too would have done whatever it took for my 4th year or 5th year. I would have fired Haslett but MS is extremely loyal to his coaches. Unfortunately. But, I too would have been meddling during what appeared to be my last year as MS must have assumed.

Archived