Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN980 Cooley: Mike Shanahan called plays on defense sometimes and hamstrung Haslett

SteveFromYellowstone

I apologize if anyone else posted this in another thread but I thought this was particularly newsworthy.

I know there were many on ES calling for Haslett's head at one time or another. Cooley said that "Shanahan called the cover 0 that broke the game open against us in the Dallas game" and that Bruce and the players think Haslett is a good defensive coach but he was severely hamstrung by Mike and let it be known to other coaches on the staff towards the end. I don't even know what to make of this. Maybe this is why Mike has had bad defense anywhere he's had full control?

I'm skeptical, but since it appears Haslett will be kept on with his friend Gruden holding the reins, we'll have a chance to see how much of that is true.  Haslett should have an improving defense by law of averages and attrition anyway (young players getting better while no one major should be leaving, unless we let go of Orakpo), but I'd love to see us jump from near the bottom to middle of the pack or better.

While I am stunned he was retained I am not overly concerned for some reason. I see teams league wide getting gashed weekly. There are a few elite D's and I don't think its rocket science to know that the GM getting great players has a bigger hand in it. Its maybe not so much that nameless DC you coveted more than Haslet. 

Look at the great Ds, are they a bunch of lunch pail guys in a great scheme, or are they a bunch of studs? 

On paper its so outrageous that he is retained you know, perhaps its for a reason. And the reason being, Mike "the meddler" Shanahan is old news and everyone in the game knows it. Apparently he started meddling in year 2 but that is the first report. He has probably been destroying his own defenses for decades and likely here in DC in year one by switching to the 3-4. It was a failure. 

Its time to rally the troops around Haslet. He should have a short leash to anyone concerned. 

I am not concerned. Look at the good offenses league wide. They bail out the defenses more than vice versa. And our offense is in the shop getting repaired right now.

I apologize if anyone else posted this in another thread but I thought this was particularly newsworthy.

I know there were many on ES calling for Haslett's head at one time or another. Cooley said that "Shanahan called the cover 0 that broke the game open against us in the Dallas game" and that Bruce and the players think Haslett is a good defensive coach but he was severely hamstrung by Mike and let it be known to other coaches on the staff towards the end. I don't even know what to make of this. Maybe this is why Mike has had bad defense anywhere he's had full control?

All well and good...

Shanahan wasn't there when Haslett had horrible defenses in St Louis.

Shanahan wasn't there when Haslett's Saints had horrible defenses.

Shanahan calling plays "sometimes" on defense doesn't completely absolve 4 years of overall mediocre to poor defensive play

At best, it makes Haslett not fully to blame for an baby small coaching job that wasn't that different than the rest of his past 10 years of defenses.

In the past 10 years of him being a DC or HC, his teams were 20th of worst 9 times in points against.

Nine out of ten

5 of those years can't be even remotely blamed on Shanahan.

The past 4 years aren't much difference than the 6 before that for Haslett. As such, I don't absolve Haslett of significant blame simply because of this news, now does the news make me okay with him coming back.

I'm not buying into any sort of image repair job on Haslett and that's what this smells like to me. He's bad and he has a long track record to prove it, both with the redskins and elsewhere.

I do believe Shanahan made everything he touched that wasn't a running game worse. He was a horrible head coach the fell flat on his face with the redskins.

Did nobody read the wp article ?

I did LOL. This was posted a few weeks ago, or at least discussed here on ES. I still wonder like some of the other posters have mentioned, just how many defensive plays did Mike actually call here. We know he meddled a lot, but just how much is what I'd like to know.

This has been talked about so much already.

First off, no one knows how often Shanahan intervened and every situation where he called plays.  Not to mention it's just as likely that those times resulted in key stops or turnovers forced and not just bad plays by the defense.

Shanahan was fired in Denver largely for his inability to field good defensive units on a consistent basis during his last few years.

Jim Haslett has been a D coordinator with mediocre to downright awful defenses for much of his career.

Not a shock to see two coaches who can't put good defenses on the field combined to form --- you guessed it a BAD DEFENSE!

I realize Haz has not been a good defensive coordinator and we should get a new one, but this is old news . Op, I'm glad you posted it- not meaning to crush anyone who didn't know. I just thought everyone knew about this.

The extent of shannys micromanaging is shocking.

Again, doesn't make Haz good, just mean that shanny was a huge meddler.

Brandy or anyone else-post the link to the article please

I realize Haz has not been a good defensive coordinator and we should get a new one, but this is old news . Op, I'm glad you posted it- not meaning to crush anyone who didn't know. I just thought everyone knew about this.

The extent of shannys micromanaging is shocking.

Again, doesn't make Haz good, just mean that shanny was a huge meddler.

Brandy or anyone else-post the link to the article please

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mike-shanahan-hasnt-solved-washington-redskins-problems-during-uneven-tenure/2013/12/28/7df92930-6fd5-11e3-a523-fe73f0ff6b8d_story.html

This is just a small clip, but the whole article was pretty good. 

This wasn’t the case for the defense. Shanahan, in his second year into the job, began sitting in on coaches’ defensive meetings. According to a former coach, staff members stormed out several times, furious after Shanahan had changed that week’s defensive game plan.

Haslett, the defensive coordinator and a former NFL head coach, also had part of his play-calling duties on the defense usurped by Shanahan, according to two coaches and a veteran player.

One of Shanahan’s first calls came in September 2011, during a game at Dallas. With the Cowboys on their own 30 with 2 minutes 20 seconds to play, Shanahan called an all-out blitz — “Cover-0,” as it is known — and it backfired, resulting in Dallas quarterback Tony Romo sits to pee finding wide receiver Dez Bryant for a 30-yard gain. Dallas eventually kicked a field goal for an 18-16 victory, and Haslett was left to shoulder the blame.

lol never did I say Haslett was a great DC. He has been okay throughout his career but Shanahan's micromanaging and changing the gameplans to a point where coaches stormed out several times certainly did not help things. It seems like the players and organization likes what he has to offer as a coach. He will most likely not be DC though and I will be happy to see a change. I don't mind him being on the staff at all though.

I am not concerned. Look at the good offenses league wide. They bail out the defenses more than vice versa. And our offense is in the shop getting repaired right now.

I would have to very much disagree with this.  We have this idea and impression that the NFL is now an offensive league, but thats because a bunch of ESPN talking heads told us.  The reality tends to be different, and it appears the defenses are actually what bail out the offenses according to the past 4 years.  I did some research, and found that there is a common theme among teams that make it to the playoffs, and those that make it deeper into the playoffs.  In the past 4 years there have ONLY been 2 teams with a top 5 defense to make it to the conference championships, and both teams were the Patriots with Brady.  Thats only 2 out of 12 teams.  Meanwhile 8 out of 12 of those teams to make it had top 5 defenses.  Perhaps with offenses getting so much more prolific, a good defense has become even more important than it used to be.

lol never did I say Haslett was a great DC. He has been okay throughout his career but Shanahan's micromanaging and changing the gameplans to a point where coaches stormed out several times certainly did not help things. It seems like the players and organization likes what he has to offer as a coach. He will most likely not be DC though and I will be happy to see a change. I don't mind him being on the staff at all though.

Calling him okay is very generous.  If you don't count Washington his average scoring defense still only ranks 20th overall.  And that's counting the pittsburgh years where he followed Lebeau and reaped the benefits of Lebeau's coaching (he ended up sending that defense down the drain).  If you take out Washington AND Pittsburgh (if you call that his best and worst) he goes down to an average rank of 28th.  He is not an okay DC, he is an awful one who shouldn't have a job.

I would have to very much disagree with this.  We have this idea and impression that the NFL is now an offensive league, but thats because a bunch of ESPN talking heads told us.  The reality tends to be different, and it appears the defenses are actually what bail out the offenses according to the past 4 years.  I did some research, and found that there is a common theme among teams that make it to the playoffs, and those that make it deeper into the playoffs.  In the past 4 years there have ONLY been 2 teams with a top 5 defense to make it to the conference championships, and both teams were the Patriots with Brady.  Thats only 2 out of 12 teams.  Meanwhile 8 out of 12 of those teams to make it had top 5 defenses.  Perhaps with offenses getting so much more prolific, a good defense has become even more important than it used to be.

Don't bring facts into this argument!  Screw the defense, we'll just have to average 50 points a game!

Archived