Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: RG3 our Franchise QB

Tyron Biggums

Is RG3 a Franchise quarterback?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. Has Robert Griffin III established himself as the Redskins Fracnhise QB?

• Yes, His record breaking rookie season capped off with Offensive Rookie of the Year was enough.
    • No, His rookie season was the results of an innovated offensive play calling.
    • Maybe, but I need more time to before I make that descion.
    • No, He is a coach killer, and the media is correct in portraying him as a Diva.
    • Yes, RG3's physical talent, will to win and leadership ability is exactly what I want from the Redskin's QB

U would not swap him for any qb? Give me Luck and it aint close.

Now, see Luck is the ONLY other QB I'd consider. I love Luck and wanted him BADLY coming out. (Although we got a darn fine consolation prize.). 

But Robert is ours ya' know, and brings his own unique skill set to the table so 2 years in, I wouldn't want to flip that. Our guy is our guy and he's a DARN good one with everything needed to be an all time great when it's all said and done IMHO 

Hail. 

He is the best QB that has been on this roster in well over 25 years. Even his worst season, has been better than a lot of other QBs we have had in the past. I think his will to win and drive is probably going to be his best assets as he ages and settles into a career. 

I'm gonna disagree.  Anyone remember a guy named Trent Green?  (I'm not saying he's potentially better than RG3, I'm saying we had a guy who could have been a QB for a long time, but we lost it during that uncertain time after Gibbs Left as I recall.)

I wouldn't swap him for ANY QB in the league given your looking at the next decade and more. 

Does that answer your question man?

Hail. 

Really? You wouldn't take ANY QB over him? None?

Aaron Rodgers is 30 years old. I'd happily take him and figure he'd play until he's 37 or 38. I feel like winning a championship in that time is closer to hoping that you get to that point with Robert.

Flacco is 28. I'd happily take him for the next decade

Matt Ryan is also 28. I'd make that swap.

Stafford is 25 and one of the best QBs in the league. I would LOVE to have him for the next decade over RG3.

Roethlisberger and Rivers are 31 and 32. You wouldn't get a decade out of them, but I might still make the switch. You could win a championship or 2 with them in the next 6 years and it'd be worth it.

BUT, I will freely admit that the reason I would make these switches, is because I don't believe a mobile QB has ever or will ever win a Super Bowl. Young and Elway could move the way Rodgers and Ben can move, but they ALL won those superbowls with their skills in the pocket. And I don't see those skills in our young Robert.

Edit: and as mentioned, I'd flip Luck in a heartbeat and I'm on the fence with Newton. I just really, really, really don't like how scrawny RG3 is compared to these guys. If you insist on using your mobility as a weapon, you've got to have some bulk. Ben gets away with it because he's made of nothing but toughness.

I believe that he'll be our franchise QB.  I voted "maybe", because I still have to see him make his way back from the knee injury.  I believe he will, but I can't be sure of that.  That said, if I'm the team. I would act with the assumption that he'll be the franchise QB unless proven otherwise.

He is the best QB that has been on this roster in well over 25 years. Even his worst season, has been better than a lot of other QBs we have had in the past. I think his will to win and drive is probably going to be his best assets as he ages and settles into a career. 

Brad Johnson - better than RGIII's 2013

Jason Campbell - comparable to RGIII's 2013

Mark Brunell - comparable to RGIII's 2013

Trent Green - comparable to RGIII's 2013

Mark Rypien - Super Bowl MVP

they all, and others, had better win percentages

I wouldn't swap him for ANY QB in the league given your looking at the next decade and more. 

Does that answer your question man?

Hail. 

I love RGIIIs potential (that is really all he has shown) but to say that, I respect your opinion, however, Luck. Rogers, Rothlesburger, Wilson, Ryan, Brees, Newton, Stafford, Smith,  etc have all outplayed RGIII and most have done so in consecutive years.  It would be hard for me not to trade one for one with anyone of the QBs listed.

I love RGIII, but I love the Redskins more!  I am sure the end of next year, my opinion will change (I expect next year to be a very telling year for RGIII and expect him to excel).

Brad Johnson - better than RGIII's 2013

Jason Campbell - comparable to RGIII's 2013

Mark Brunell - comparable to RGIII's 2013

Trent Green - comparable to RGIII's 2013

Mark Rypien - Super Bowl MVP

they all, and others, had better win percentages

If you are talking about results, don't forget about Joey T!! 

For the record, had it not been for the death of JKC, we would have had our BEST QB ever in Trent Green.  Unfortunately, due to his death and the ownership issues, we were unable to resign him.

The funny thing about that poll is the my answer really would be "maybe", but with most of the reasons meshed into one.  He is a diva, his rookie season results were a result of innovative playcalling, his talent, will to win, etc is everything I want in a QB, and I need more time to make a decision.  lol

Really? You wouldn't take ANY QB over him? None?

Aaron Rodgers is 30 years old. I'd happily take him and figure he'd play until he's 37 or 38. I feel like winning a championship in that time is closer to hoping that you get to that point with Robert.

Flacco is 28. I'd happily take him for the next decade

Did I imagine that and you never posted it? 

Please tell me I imagined it and we can move on like this never happened.

Hail. 

I'm gonna disagree.  Anyone remember a guy named Trent Green?  (I'm not saying he's potentially better than RG3, I'm saying we had a guy who could have been a QB for a long time, but we lost it during that uncertain time after Gibbs Left as I recall.)

You came up with one name in about 20 seasons. Shuler, Frerotte, Friez, George, Brad Johnson etc.

In fact, Trent Green was the only decent QB in between the SB QBs the Redskins had (and thats if you even think Rypien was that good) and RGIII, unless you believe Brunell was good or Jason Campbell.

When did Matthew stafford become one of the best QBs in the league?

When he threw for 5,000 yards in 2011, 4,967 in 2012, and over 4,500 again in 2013. And I don't care about megatron. All the great Qbs throw to great receivers. I'm not saying he's a HOFer, but he's definitely one of the best QBs out there right now.

Did I imagine that and you never posted it? 

Please tell me I imagined it and we can move on like this never happened.

Hail. 

My apologies. In the above post, I swapped Ryan and Flacco.

I meant to say "I'd make the swap" about Flacco and leave it at that. And say "I'd happily take him for the next decade" about Ryan. 

Flacco is no HOFer. He reminds me a lot of Eli. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'd take the certainty of a QB that can win games in the pocket over the mystery surrounding RG3, his injury, his potential to learn the game from the pocket, and whether or not mobile QBs in the NFL will get "figured out".

And Ryan, I think is a stud. I'd be happy to have him.

This is a public poll. I am curious as to how most ES members feel about RG3 being our quarterback. I think most on ES know where I stand on that topic. For the people that don't know my stance. I believe he is the best QB we have had since #33 Sammy Baugh.

I hope we can have a civilized discussion. That seems harder and harder to have these days.

Thanks for your participation.

Hail

I'm not sure if it was before your time [ being I don't know your age ], but in interviews, Gibbs stated that QBs will be judged by whether they win a Superbowl, so going by that statement, Griffin isn't the best since Baugh, maybe since Rypien.

But i'll give him the benefit of a doubt and take the wait and see approach; if he brings a Lombardi trophy to DC, then we can start the comparisons to other QBs who have won a Superbowl/NFL Championship.

He's a 5th year QB who's been put on IR two times already and in his only playoff appearance got blown out. He's not one of the better QBs in the league, he's mediocre. He's completed over 60% of his passes once, he's had over 15 interceptions every season with the exception of his injury shortened season and has a career 83 passer rating.

Right now I think RG is humbled from his Diva status and he’s still a big maybe.  I think he severely underestimated his injury and his health when he said he was ready to play.  He’s gonna have to learn to read D’s better because his ability to run and be mobile will be gone.  

P.S.  I still think Colt Brennan would have been a very good QB if we didn’t stick with JC so long.  But those days are in the past.  

Right now I think RG is humbled from his Diva status and he’s still a big maybe.  I think he severely underestimated his injury and his health when he said he was ready to play.  He’s gonna have to learn to read D’s better because his ability to run and be mobile will be gone.  

P.S.  I still think Colt Brennan would have been a very good QB if we didn’t stick with JC so long.  But those days are in the past.

People still long for Colt Brennan, seriously?

In all fairness thats a whole different situation altogether; there's no comparison to Griffin's issues.

Oh really? So Stafford had no hand in his teams constantly and consistently under-performing? It was all on his coach and teammates?

No in my eyes they are very similar, outside the fact the Stafford still put up pretty numbers and RGIII didn't do it in the first half of games.

People still long for Colt Brennan, seriously?

There is still a whole Island that meets in a secret volcano nightly to worship at the alter of the Colt. 

Many posted here for a short time. 

I have my suspicions our continued bad form is down to his disciples and their nightly rituals in the name of all that is Holy and Coltly. 

We represent the anti-Christ for not allowing the phenom to flourish like his talents deserved and thus will ever suffer. 

Hail. 

Archived