Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What lessons (if any) has Snyder learned?

rosmith51

I do think the Dan Snyder from 4 or 5 years ago would have fired Mike S yesterday.

And hopefully he will wait till after the season is over.

If he does wait until the end of the season, I will be shocked. That is way more restraint than I could manage. Then again I don't have bottomless pockets like Mr. Snyder does either.

New member here. Well...I was here sometime ago, but was mysteriously given the boot.

I have one question before I get started on here talking Redskins with my fellow fans:

Is extremeskins still as pathetic as it was a few years ago? Or can I actually criticize Snyder now without getting kicked off the board?

Welcome back.  Strong re-entry. :lol:

I still don't understand why nobody seemingly respects Allen as a GM? Everyone says he's not a "personnel" guy...as if they really know what he is. Didn't he win "GM of the Year" or something like that at Tampa?

NO! In fact his tenure at TB was a DISASTER and personnel was what got Gruden fired. He got Executive of the Year in Oakland, but that was for being Al Davis' lackey. The guy is needed here as a buffer between Snyder and the public, but he is a PR and contracts guy, NOT a talent evaluator. The great TB teams were pt together by McKay.

We're about to find out, aren't we?

Best thing Dan can do, after he's made his settlement with Shanny (buyout or firing) and the last game ends, is to steal a bottle of Crown Royal from the minibar in whatever suite he's in at MetLife stadium for the season finale, and tap Bruce Allen on the shoulder and tell him "Tanya and I are taking a flight to Bora Bora from JFK tonight.  I'll be back in time for the Super Bowl......find me a GM to find me a coach."

And stay the hell out of the way.

Fixed it for you. :D

Stay tuned.

The only thing that changed is that Snyder pretty much let Shanny do what he wanted.  Or did he?   If it comes out that Danny ordered us to trade for Mcnabb and trade up to get Robert; then Danny really won't have changed or learned any lessons.

When Snyder finally parts ways with Shanny; will we see if he learned any lessons.   Will Snyder finally realize that the GM and coach should be seperate positions?   Will Snyder realize that he really shouldn't be to chummy with players?  Will he le the next regime do their jobs and not intefere?    After Shanny, are looking at our own Jason Garrett--Dave Campo puppet?

All, I can say is stay tuned.

We'll see. I lasted 5 posts last time. I'm already on post #3 right now.

I'd love to hold hands with everyone here, and talk about how great this team is. But, that would be lying.

Instead I have to suffer with a mentally weak owner, who transfers that weakness to his players by enabling them.

Nothing will change until Snyder sells. He has absolutely no clue what he is doing. What gets me about Snyder is how much he loves this team. I mean....if you love it so damn much, why dont you sell it? You're doing more harm than good, and keeping this team near the bottom of the league every year. Doesn't he want this team to be successful? If so....sell the damn team so we can have another chance to do something good here! There is no chance as long as he's the owner.

What did Snyder do to you, punch you in your face and take your girlfriend as a kid?? Get a grip.....

Unless you're someone that works in the front office, youre just a pist off fan. If Snyder made a mistake, it was allowing a coach to bring in his son as OC....the general consensus was that Mike Shanahan was a good signing. Most insiders say that Snyder stepped back and let Shanny work. The Shanny experiment didnt work.

Coaches coach the team. Players play on it. Bruce Allen/Mike shanahan oversee football operations. Snyder signs the checks. He's not on the sideline pacing every week like Jerry Jones, yet people STILL want to put 100% of the blame on his shoulders. Irrational hatred at it's finest.

You want to find somebody to blame for this season? Blame the awful coaching we have on special teams and defense. Also, Slowik. They've been putrid. Snyder had nothing to do as it was Shanahan and Allen that constructed the staff.

You could also blame RGIII for not playing well this year, at all. You can blame kyle or Mike for inconsistent playcalling on offense, and suspect clock management. You can blame almost everybody, but I don't see how this is directly Snyder's fault. Some of you are ridiculous with your effusive disdain of him.

Coaches coach the team. Players play on it. Bruce Allen/Mike shanahan oversee football operations. Snyder signs the checks. He's not on the sideline pacing every week like Jerry Jones, yet people STILL want to put 100% of the blame on his shoulders. Irrational hatred at it's finest.

You want to find somebody to blame for this season? Blame the awful coaching we have on special teams and defense. Also, Slowik. They've been putrid. Snyder had nothing to do as it was Shanahan and Allen that constructed the staff.

You could also blame RGIII for not playing well this year, at all. You can blame kyle or Mike for inconsistent playcalling on offense, and suspect clock management. You can blame almost everybody, but I don't see how this is directly Snyder's fault. Some of you are ridiculous with your effusive disdain of him.

I understand what you're getting at.  But...

How can you blame Shanny for the guys that he hired if you can't put some blame on the guy that hired Shanny?  We're always saying "the players/coaches suck, but that's Shanny's fault for bringing them here".  Is it not reasonable to blame Snyder for bringing Shanny to DC?

Personally, I don't care.  Snyder may have learned a ton, but he's still a huge loser as an owner.  

• 5 weeks later...

As an Eagles fan I have thoroughly enjoyed a good portion of Snyders ownership because of his day-to-day involvement in running the franchise. I used to say to my Redskins fans friends "I hope Snyder owns the Redskins forever"... much the same way everyone knows Jerrah will muck up the Cowboys by having to have his input, it certainly looked like Snyder was heading down the same path... shiny toys over building blocks, who's the coach this year, etc...

Well... I have to say that I like the hire of Jay Gruden.

All signs are pointing towards Jay just being slotted in the head-coach vacancy while keeping Haslett and the rest of the old staff , and promoting someone internal to 'OC', but who is really just a glorified assistant to Gruden who is the de facto OC.

This can't end well.

They have effectively said there isn't really a head coach, Gruden is 'senior' OC and the inmates run the asylum again.

It's understandable given the history of the head coaching position in the Snyder era that it was going to be difficult to find a qualified candidate to take the job.. And then have him convince a new staff to come work in DC for Snyder, but to try to pass this farce off as a legitimate hire is an insult.

Well... I have to say that I like the hire of Jay Gruden.

All signs are pointing towards Jay just being slotted in the head-coach vacancy while keeping Haslett and the rest of the old staff , and promoting someone internal to 'OC', but who is really just a glorified assistant to Gruden who is the de facto OC.

This can't end well.

They have effectively said there isn't really a head coach, Gruden is 'senior' OC and the inmates run the asylum again.

It's understandable given the history of the head coaching position in the Snyder era that it was going to be difficult to find a qualified candidate to take the job.. And then have him convince a new staff to come work in DC for Snyder, but to try to pass this farce off as a legitimate hire is an insult.

I wouldn't assume any of that info is correct, especially the stuff about his coordinators. you're talking about believing the same people that felt just as strongly as Art briles or Bill Cowher being the next Head Coach.

Don't believe the media leaks by Shanahan. He is an admitted liar.

Snyder is no longer involved with player acquisitions.

Snyder is now allowing the football people run the organization as opposed to Himself and his racquetball partner Vinny Cerato.

Snyder knows that he can no longer build a team like he builds his fantasy team.

Shanahan was necessary in 2010 even though it ended badly. He and Bruce Allen thought him these things. Now we have a young up and coming coach that doesn't have full control and seems to be very flexible, ie allows input from staff and players.

I think this is the right hire for the team and for rg3.

HTTR

Don't we have this discussion every three years or so?

When he hired Marty, Snyder had finally "gotten it."

When he hired Gibbs it was so Gibbs could teach Snyder what "it" was.

When Gibbs left, we were sure Snyder had "gotten it."

Firing Vinny proved that Snyder "understood it."

Hiring Shanahan and giving him all the power meant that Snyder was finally "getting out of the way."

Turning the hiring search over to Bruce Allen means that he "might have gotten it at long last."

Snyder is going to be dead (in 2093 probably) and will we be saying "He seemed right on the verge of getting it."

I think that fact that there was no sign of our owner at yesterdays presser introducing Gruden says it all. IMO, he's learned to leave football to the football guys unlike that fellow in Dallas..

I've never liked this argument for the simple reason that if I owned an NFL team, I would be involved with it. He shouldn't be GM. He should not be scouting players. But I think there are posters here who think that he should have no say in things like hiring a coach. I disagree. Snyder needs to be comfortable with the coach and should ultimately have final say. But he should also have hired a GM who would know Snyder and not bring him an unacceptable candidate.

(Let me ask you: Do you think the Rooneys and the Maras and Bob Kraft don't have a say in things like coaching hires?)

I may have said this at the time: But if I was an owner and Vinny brought Zorn to me as a potential head coach, I have had immediately begun looking for a new GM and a new coach.

Where Snyder goes off the rails is when he gets caught up in the wining and dining of potential coaches and high profile free agents. If you aren't going to take the $500,000 defensive tackle to The Palm for dinner, you shouldn't take the $5,000,000 LB. 

He should have a say in the major decisions, and he should be involved in the negotiations at some level. It is, after all, his money. But there needs to be a healthy balance. We've never had that balance. We've also had too much Snyder involvement and too much power consolidated with the wrong people.

By worry now is that power may be too far spread out, but that's another post.

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm of the opinion that even though Snyder had a rough start, he's turning into a pretty decent owner. As a STH, I enjoy the fact that he's improving the stadium to enhance my game day experience and that he's leaving football operations to football people and signing the checks when requested.

HTTR

Archived