Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Skins allegedly view WJFK's parodies as a personal foul

hail2skins

I was struck by this quote from Wylie:

“All we did was ask questions about what they were doing,” he said in an interview. “Once they said it was all in jest, we were fine with it.”

He added, “I have a sense of humor, like everyone else. It’s a joke, and I take it as a joke. Once they said it was all a joke, that’s all there was to it.”

To anybody listening to those parodies, what the hell else would you think it was, other than a joke?

Wouldn't you think a veteran radio guy would prefer the afternoon drive to mid days?  My assumption was that Lavar would leave for the NFL network, and Chad Dukes would be left out in the cold.  Holden and Danny would stay at mid day.  Frankly, that would be outstanding.  I don't care for Dukes, Don would be a tremendous upgrade, and if it means not listening to Lavar anymore, so much the better.  Danny is one of the best things going for that station right now.

I think they'd keep Chad.  But they'd do some slot switching.  Like Chad and Lavar would move to 10-2pm, then Don would move to the 2-7pm slot.  After that Holden and Danny would come on if they stayed.

Chad and Don have a good dynamic and I think Chad would be tolerable with Don.  I just can't stand Lavar.

Bang,

Inquiring minds want to know...what did TO say?

His attorneys contacted me with a very officiously worded email and asked me if he had ever been in one of my cartoons, and if so, was i prepared to pay the royalties necessary for using his likeness, or something like that.

TO was my all time leader of cartoon appearances... i made more about him and the crap around him than anyone else.

I told them they were not likely to receive anything from me and if they wanted me to stop making fun of their client than he shouldn't find himself in so many situations ripe for satire.

And they left me alone.

~Bang

I told them they were not likely to receive anything from me and if they wanted me to stop making fun of their client than he shouldn't find himself in so many situations ripe for satire.

And they left me alone.

~Bang

I love that line.  Bravo.

As someone whom has spent a major portion of my professional life as a radio announcer/producer/disc jockey/writer/engineer/management/yadayada, it would be best if the Redskins organization build a thicker skin! This is what radio stations in the same market have done since before Snyder was born!  I can remember when one of the local rock stations back in the sixties held a months long scavenger hunt and the final clue was hidden on the roof of the competition rock station's studio on the other side of town. They weren't too happy to find a bunch of people climbing around their roof looking for a clue from the other station's contest! Still, no one filed a law suit .. it was just another volley of fire in the two station's competition wars.

We parodied our competitors on a regular basis. So did they. Nothing to see here, Wyllie! Learn to take a joke!

BTW -- I just listened to a couple of them for the first time. They get a B- for effort, but a lot of the material was lacking in its attempt at comedy.

I only heard the skit one time and it wasnt funny at all nor was the Jon Gruden impersonations. Only guy that pull it off is Frank Caliendo (spelling?) and Aries Spears.

I think my issue mainly is i'd rather hear Redskins news or debate than parodies.

This is the main and only reason I tune into Holden and Danny cuz I despised listening to Kornheisers nonsense and rambling not sports related and now they do this dumb bit.

I'd be surprised if Snyder was the thin skinned one.

It was probably Larry Michael. In the skit they keep hinting that Michael lied to Herzog and stabbed him in the back and fired him.

How true that is, I don't know. I was out of the country during that time.

But much worse is said about Snyder on that radio station without as much of an eyebrow being raised. I don't think Wylie needed to get involved, and I'm sure Michael was whining like a ****, but I'd doubt seriously that Danny was offended.

Michael was the dingdong that came up with the Sourcerer, years ago. Same type of thing.

Don't dish if you can't take it.

He's a slimey dude too.

Forcing Frank Herzog out and putting his interior butt in that seat should tell you all you need to know about this clown. You know your team stinks when even their radio team blows (minus Cooley)

BTW how many times did the Skins reach the Infinity red zone while the guys were in the booth were drinking Phill Simms tea and eating KFC chicken while reading the Washington Post? If you don't get it, you don't get it.

Not a fan of Larry.  At all.

What was the Sourcerer thing?

Ha. This dates back to when Gibbs was HC, I think, and Jason La Confora was the Post beat writer.  JLC (who, btw, was as bad at his job at the time as I would be trying to play power-forward in the NBA), kept on coming up with things and alluding to "sources," "inside sources" or "Sources with knowledge of the situation." 

Most of what he wrote turned out to be false, or never happened. 

But Larry and the 'Skins got their nose out of joint, and they created a segment on Redskins Nation (or whatever it was called at the time) about "The Sorcerer." Where they would read the quotes from JLC's columns, or allude to them, and then make fun of them since they weren't attributed to a source.

They even had a masked man come in and pretend to be the sorcerer on one show.  

It was petty, stupid, and managed to make a moron (JLC) look respectable.  Complete back-fire, and they eventually canceled the segment. And made Larry look even more like the dbag he is.  

I really think that one thing that would help change the karma in Ashburn would be to fire Larry.  (Ok, I really don't think that, but I wouldn't mind it)

I actually do think Larry IS a real problem though.  He's what everybody else reacts to, and is the mouthpiece of the team.  He was only tolerable when he was paired with Bram W. When Bram left, that entire thing just fell apart.  

I listened to the first of the Larry Michael parodies on 106.7, and honestly, it was pretty funny.  I haven't heard the rest.  I think my favorite line was "How am I supposed to do a propaganda show for a 3-6 team?!"  That had me rolling on the floor.

Ha. This dates back to when Gibbs was HC, I think, and Jason La Confora was the Post beat writer.  JLC (who, btw, was as bad at his job at the time as I would be trying to play power-forward in the NBA), kept on coming up with things and alluding to "sources," "inside sources" or "Sources with knowledge of the situation." 

Ah!  Is that when he said JLC was a "spy" for Dallas?  I remember that.  That's when I started to REALLY not like him.  I got the rub that he was running the Pravda and he thought I was an idiot waiting to receive the company message so I could spread it.

That really rubbed me the wrong way.

Other than that, his play by play skills absolutely suck.  He literally doesn't paint a picture.  And I'm not comparing him to Herzog, I'm comparing him to everyone else's play by play guys in the league.  He is far and away the worst.

I love the dude from Minnesota, he's fantastic.  I'd also not mind getting DC Native and current Detroit Lions play by play man Dan Miller.  If you've ever listened to him, I love the "Touchdown Detroit Lions" he does as homage to Frank.

Heck, even give Joe Benanati some burn, even though I would hate to lose him doing the Caps broadcast and I'd doubt Dan would win him from the Caps (because he is literally the best in the NHL for me).

But Larry has to go.  I can barely stand to listen to him.

Ah! Is that when he said JLC was a "spy" for Dallas? I remember that. That's when I started to REALLY not like him. I got the rub that he was running the Pravda and he thought I was an idiot waiting to receive the company message so I could spread it.

That really rubbed me the wrong way.

Other than that, his play by play skills absolutely suck. He literally doesn't paint a picture. And I'm not comparing him to Herzog, I'm comparing him to everyone else's play by play guys in the league. He is far and away the worst.

I love the dude from Minnesota, he's fantastic. I'd also not mind getting DC Native and current Detroit Lions play by play man Dan Miller. If you've ever listened to him, I love the "Touchdown Detroit Lions" he does as homage to Frank.

Heck, even give Joe Benanati some burn, even though I would hate to lose him doing the Caps broadcast and I'd doubt Dan would win him from the Caps (because he is literally the best in the NHL for me).

But Larry has to go. I can barely stand to listen to him.

Yeah, I'm not sure he has any real fans. People tolerate him, or really don't care for him. But nobody really likes him.

Running Pravda. I like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived