Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Oxford Union Society Debate: Religion Helps/Harms society

alexey

If you are interested in the topic, here is a debate that recently took place in Oxford.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOAFgXcJkZ2zfXQa5csRym8ms6kwSRwJ4

good stuff, here's an excerpt that kicks things off pretty bluntly ... 

But before I get into that, I have some good news for all of you. I spoke today with Bill Gates of Microsoft, and he is going to give each of you ten million dollars if you vote with me on this motion. Now, none of you believe that is true. You know that I am making it up.

But if I told you instead that I have some good news for all of you, that I spoke today with the creator of the universe, and that he will give each of you an eternity in paradise if you do what I say … Well, some of you here might believe me. Certainly, many people around the world would believe me.

That is because because religion corrupts our sense of reality.

This is becoming Ken like. Post the same general ideas in as many threads/posts as possible and not really address the points being made.

for many years I was interested in these topics without knowing the big picture of the skeptical community and not being able to find good material.

If somebody would have posted information and references, I would have really appreciated it.

Now I am posting here in hope that somebody will find it interesting or helpful.

I am doing to others what I would like others to do to me. Share things that they care about and find interesting. You are free to participate or not to participate. Live and let live.

Plenty of theists hold the "live and let live"' principle

okay, but meanwhile, you rip those who hold theistic beliefs?

reminds me of the hippies that drive around with the 'coexist' bumper stickers on their prius.......with a darwin fish plastered next to it. 

gotta love it. 

Thanks for the link alexey. I'll watch it when I have time.

I don't understand the complaining in here. If you don't like it or have a problem with the OP, don't click it. Alexey isn't forcing you to participate.

It's helpful when you don't have time to find stuff like this yourself. That's why I find the tailgate useful for most things. I get to catch up on misc. stuff that I otherwise would have missed.

okay, but meanwhile, you rip those who hold theistic beliefs?

I see people discussing ideas. Yes some people will feel attacked if their ideas are questioned.

Personally, I welcome challenges to my ideas as opportunities to learn and grow. Feeling the need to protect my ideas by stifling debate would be a red flag for me.

I see people discussing ideas. Yes some people will feel attacked if their ideas are questioned.

so you dont believe this? 

you just posted the article about it for "discussion"?

gotcha.

so you dont believe this?

you just posted the article about it for "discussion"?

gotcha.

I see this as a factual statement that can be true or false. Are you so offended that you don't think we should be even taking about it?

I see this as a factual statement that can be true or false. Are you so offended that you don't think we should be even taking about it?

offended? lol. hardly.

im just pointing out that 'live and let live' is easy when it only applies to likeminded folks. 

You seem to imply that "live and let live" includes avoiding discussion of uncomfortable subjects.

i'm stating that people who say things like 'live and let live' should actually do so.

if you think youre going to convince people you dont post articles ripping religion, give it up. 

its ok- just own it. dont deny it. 

i'm stating that people who say things like 'live and let live' should actually do so.

if you think youre going to convince people you dont post articles ripping religion, give it up.

its ok- just own it. dont deny it.

I own ripping religion any deny ripping religious people. I judge ideas on their merit and people on their actions.

Do you get a pink Cadillac for recruiting the most new Atheists this year?

:rolleyes: 

Get your incentive scheme straight. That's the reward for recruiting men to the homosexual lifestyle.

And the Oxford Union debates are famous ... one called 'King & Country in the 30s passed the motion that they would not fight for King & country. Churchill was not impressed. Legend has it that Hitler thought the Brits were soft and would not resist, in part based on this debate by the Oxford Union.

Plenty of theists hold the "live and let live"' principle

This isn't live and let live....this is live and if you believe in God then you're a **** head just like all the other "theists are morons" threads alexy posts.

As for the opening salvo that was quoted.

If someone I don't know tells me that they spoke to Bill Gates then shouldn't I give them the benefit of the doubt until he admits or is proven to be a liar? By his assertion just because something seems unlikely doesn't mean it didn't happen, after all people meet famous people all the time and famous people do surprising things all the time. So his assertion is that we should operate with from the default mode that everyone is a liar until proven otherwise.

Let me know how that works out.

BTW, if the skeptic is truly a skeptic then she/he must be skeptical about their own skepticism lest they apply to everyone else a standard they themselves are not willing to use for themselves.

As for religion being bad for society....tell me alexey, what religion was Stalin when he killed 12 million people? Twice the number as Hitler BTW.

The reality is that there are evil ****s who lie, murder, cheat and steal and sometimes they use the guise of religion to do it other times they announce to the world that they are atheists as they kill 12 million people. So maybe atheism is to blame.

Archived