Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Griffin Points Blame At Coaching (Postgame-Eagles)

truskinsfan18

I thought it was bad from the headlines, then I read the comments which were then confirmed by the Eagles D that they called the play right several times pre-snap. 

Kyle needs to get it together or go same with Haslett though it may be too late for him

Learned about that today. RG3 was telling the truth. Doesn't bold well for Shanahan's future.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/19/santana-moss-takes-exception-to-griffins-failure-to-take-blame/

Looks like the OP wasn't as farfetched as people seem to think.

I agree with the guy above, this is really getting depressing.  I started this thread with just the intention of reporting facts, and it's become very opinionated. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/19/santana-moss-takes-exception-to-griffins-failure-to-take-blame/

Looks like the OP wasn't as farfetched as people seem to think.

I agree with the guy above, this is really getting depressing.  I started this thread with just the intention of reporting facts, and it's become very opinionated. 

Check out the weekly press conference-

http://es.redskins.com/topic/374145-press-release-shanny-rg3-quotes/

Lol who is everyone? You and a handful more people on this board? I could also say the noobs with a couple hundred posts on this message board have become a BIG problem.

Appreciate it, I couldn't bring myself to type a response.

The second half of your statement reminded me that I've had this account since '03 and I've slightly more than 700 posts.

Lol who is everyone? You and a handful more people on this board? I could also say the noobs with a couple hundred posts on this message board have become a BIG problem.

We, I mean I, I mean we have a big problem. We, I mean I, I mean we need more cowbell!

First post on Extreme Skins. Been a die hard fan since the mid 70's. After watching RG3 for two years, he just doesn't look like he's ever going to pass the ball like the top guys do. He's got a strong arm but lacks touch, anticipation pinpoint accuracy and feel for the passing game. Plus giving up all those picks was just crazy. This trade is one of the reasons this team stinks.

You must've missed his whole rookie year...you know the one where he completed nearly 70% of his passes and finished the season with the highest passer rating ever for a rookie. He doesn't lack any of those qualities you listed considering he was being lauded for them last season.

Boy, how the worm turns in the apple , and when you bite in to that apple you get a ugly surprise. Obviously, the Skins whole season is ugly. I could not watch the this past Sunday's game since I am here in Florida. But, I saw enough low lights , to see  a dysfunctionl offense. There is enough blame to go around, for the both sides of the ball. I think RG 3 is under enourmous pressure to execute like last year, and the man is not ready to play . On the whole from what I saw and read, there are coaching issues and RG3 issues. The games I have been able to watch,  when it appears we are behind it seems to take the coaching staff to long to find an answer. When the answer is found and deployed to the offense, there appears not enough time to catch up .  Say There is like 5:00 minutes left in the game we find the answer, Boom we score. now the opponet can get the ball and eat time. So ,somehow the Defense has to come up with a stop. Sometimes they are able to stop the opponet and get the ball back.But now we are down to a 1:45. Now RG3 some how has to pull it out of his #$!%. RG3 should have taken more time with the knee, I see a much different deliivery of RG3's passes this year vs last year. I do not what to even start on the woes of the defensive secondary. Hail

So, I guess its okay for RG3 to stare down his receivers. I guess its okay for RG3 to overthrow them. I guess its okay for him to not plant and throw properly. I guess its okay for him to not read defenses, and hit WIDE open receivers. I guess as long as you all think its okay then everything is fine. GIVE ME A BREAK ! Ive been a skins fan for a long time and played ball in school. His fundamentals are WAY off. So before you rip me a new one, how about you all re-watch some tape.   

how about you all re-watch some tape.   

I will as long as you watch tape of our historically inept defense and special teams and stop acting like a 2nd year guy who is on pace for 4,300 yards passing and is outpacing Tom Brady(A guy with a defense that gives up almost 12 points less per game) in nearly every statistical category is our biggest problem this year and in the future.

I will as long as you watch tape of our historically inept defense and special teams and stop acting like a 2nd year guy who is on pace for 4,300 yards passing and is outpacing Tom Brady(A guy with a defense that gives up almost 12 points less per game) in nearly every statistical category is our biggest problem this year and in the future.

Based on this year... I'd say that the Brady comparisons is a tad premature  Total yds given all true things such as garbage time racking up completions in lost cause games against prevent defenses can skew things/#'s significantly.

just sayin

Based on this year... I'd say that the Brady comparisons is a tad premature  Total yds given all true things such as garbage time racking up completions in lost cause games against prevent defenses can skew things/#'s significantly.

just sayin

You can hone in on his bad games but you are ignoring the good ones. Can't have it both ways. Thankfully your opinion is largely irrelevant.

just sayin

Yeah yardage is something that can be skewed, but it's still a good milestone for a 2nd year guy to reach. He's thrown for more yards when it's a TD or less than when we've been in what you can consider "Garbage time".

I'm really referring to completion percentage and the like, Griffin has guys like him and Luck beat on far more attempts which considering the narrative most people would find hard to believe.

Brady has been about inaccurate as he's ever been(Though improving) and he's not that far ahead in interceptions and yet they still win games because they give up far less points than the rest of the league.

Is there any chance this thread started the whole controversy that's been going on this week?

Think about it.  This thread was started 10 minutes after the press conference.  It had to be the first source to mention Griffin's Comments.

Santana Moss, Robert Griffin, Coach Shanahan, ESPN, and various media outlets have all discussed the same thing that was discussed in the OP. 

I think that this site is big enough to warrant attention from local sportswriters....

LMAO people think he was bashing the coaching staff because he said "They did a great job of scheming us and knew exactly what was coming" ?

WOW is this ESPN ? He was giving the eagles a compliment, not bashing our current coaching staff.

Panther fans bashed Cam Newton religiously when the panthers struggled now they are back on his jock strap now that the panthers are 7-3.

The same will happen with RGIII and we'll look back at the post of the fans who turned on him and realized how foolish they were. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbqXgswf-ZE

1:34 in, it's the truth with sports. You win, you're loved; you falter, you're criticized and usually it's harsh and over the top. Peyton Manning was criticized for year due to playoff losses, and if he loses in the playoffs this season all of that will come back. RG3 next season should have better pass blockers in front of him, fully past the knee, better WRs, and lots of offseason work, and past the sophomore slump most QBs go through. Then he'll be loved again and the media and others will find something else to complain about because they don't know how to be happy.

Oh good.

Sorry for the tone of my previous post. Redskins have me in a bad mood. I wish I didn't care as much as I do.

I totally understand bro. I was quite angry myself at then after last Sunday LOL!!! Sometimes I think we care more than the players it seems. Make it a good one my friend.

RED06

We can all understand if Robert Kyle and Mike want him to improve as a pocket passer

Only, I am struggling to accept the means at which Kyle is going about teaching him.

If we want him to become a better pocket passer, where are the simple passing plays? How can teams league wide run short slants yet we are lucky to see one called per game? Where is the screen play, to keep defenses from crushing our interior?

There are so many basic passing plays and routes missing from our offense, I question Kyle's teachings.

I watch other games, and am left scratching my head wondering what is Kyle calling. What are the 3 most common passing routes he uses?  Do we call out and up patterns, ANY double moves? It seems like everything we ask our WRs to do is on a straight line, or maybe one move.  Vertical routes dominate. Our patterns are too easy to defend. It makes RG3s job harder, when we should be focusing on the basics as needed, whatever is needed, to allow progress to occur.

What is Kyle's resume in this regard... who has he converted to a pocket passer? His time in Houston, he had Kubiak a major architect in anything Shanahan for a long time now, and a monster back and wideout. I sometimes wonder if he is an NFL OC only because of his last name.

Can we trust him to not screw up RG3?

RG3 can be a pocket passer, but he is a natural using his legs. There is no reason to ball and chain him into the pocket right now, IMO.  RG3 may need to learn, but Kyle may need to learn, first.

We can all understand if Robert Kyle and Mike want him to improve as a pocket passer

Only, I am struggling to accept the means at which Kyle is going about teaching him.

If we want him to become a better pocket passer, where are the simple passing plays? How can teams league wide run short slants yet we are lucky to see one called per game? Where is the screen play, to keep defenses from crushing our interior?

There are so many basic passing plays and routes missing from our offense, I question Kyle's teachings.

I watch other games, and am left scratching my head wondering what is Kyle calling. What are the 3 most common passing routes he uses?  Do we call out and up patterns, ANY double moves? It seems like everything we ask our WRs to do is on a straight line, or maybe one move.  Vertical routes dominate. Our patterns are too easy to defend. It makes RG3s job harder, when we should be focusing on the basics as needed, whatever is needed, to allow progress to occur.

What is Kyle's resume in this regard... who has he converted to a pocket passer? His time in Houston, he had Kubiak a major architect in anything Shanahan for a long time now, and a monster back and wideout. I sometimes wonder if he is an NFL OC only because of his last name.

Can we trust him to not screw up RG3?

RG3 can be a pocket passer, but he is a natural using his legs. There is no reason to ball and chain him into the pocket right now, IMO.  RG3 may need to learn, but Kyle may need to learn, first.

If you watch the all-22, you will see that Kyle is dialing up some extremely simple passing concepts and RG3 is simply not pulling the trigger.  There are open receivers in the exact places they need to be (based on Griffin's head positioning - i.e. primary read, as well as the passing lanes opened by the OL), and Griffin is refusing to throw, throwing inaccurately (i.e. the ball is caught, but YAC opportunity is lost), or missing entirely.

It's funny that you mention slant routes because, if I'm not mistaken, the final play of the game was a slant route to Garcon.  Garcon was open, Griffin had a nice passing lane between the LT and LG, and Griffin refused to pull the trigger for reasons unknown.

On Griffin's fumble in the redzone against Philly, he also refused to pull the trigger on an open slant to Garcon.  He then re-set his feet to try and pass to Reed on a quick out, apparently unaware that getting to your second read is not an option when your RB is blocking a DE.  The slant to Garcon was open anyway, so it's hard to understand why he didn't pull the trigger on that one.

In short, you should watch the all 22.

ncr2h-

Define what you mean by simple? What routes concepts/plays are you talking about and when is he calling them?

One of my pet peeves when talking/breaking down film is when people use a few examples to represent all the time.

Finding examples where Griffin misses throws or reads doesn't really say a whole lot when roughly about 30-40% of the time QBs don't connect on their passes.

Do you also track the times when 2-man play action routes are called at the start of games and are covered?

On the whole do you think we call many slant routes in general? Because I can count very few times slants routes have been called this season. So pointing out 2 examples of a 'missed' slant route does nothing to refute the fact that we generally don't run them, which was the point I believe Randy was making on slants.

ncr2h-

Define what you mean by simple? What routes concepts/plays are you talking about and when is he calling them?

One of my pet peeves when talking/breaking down film is when people use a few examples to represent all the time.

Finding examples where Griffin misses throws or reads doesn't really say a whole lot when roughly about 30-40% of the time QBs don't connect on their passes.

Do you also track the times when 2-man play action routes are called at the start of games and are covered?

On the whole do you think we call many slant routes in general? Because I can count very few times slants routes have been called this season. So pointing out 2 examples of a 'missed' slant route does nothing to refute the fact that we generally don't run them, which was the point I believe Randy was making on slants.

Simple:

- Griffin's primary read is open at the time Griffin hits his back step

- Passing lane has been created by the O-line to help Griffin get the ball to the primary receiver

We run lots of slants.  That doesn't mean we throw lots of slants.  For example, on Griffin's 3rd pass of the game (after he missed on the Paulsen throw), we ran a bunched formation with Reed on the outside and Helu and Hankerson on the inside.  Hankerson ran a deep clearing route to vacate the space on the middle-left side of the field, Helu ran a pick route to create separation for Reed, and Reed ran a slant.

The LT and LG created a small passing lane for Griffin to hit Reed on the slant.  When Griffin hits his back foot, Reed has 2-3 steps on his man, with the defense in a cover 1 man, meaning the only defender not covering a receiver in man coverage is the safety roaming roughly 20 yards down field.  Griffin never seemed to even look at the slant.  It looks like he was paying attention to the deep safety.  He threw to Garcon at the first down marker but the ball was batted down at the line of scrimmage (i.e. no passing lane was available).

Griffin's 4th pass of the game (I believe it was his 4th - play starts at gameclock 5:11 in Q1) was literally the exact same route concept, except against a zone blitz.  This time Paul ran the pick route and Reed ran the deep clearing route.  Garcon runs the slant and is wide open due to the blitzing LB.  Instead of throwing to his wide open WR, Griffin sees the pressure and pulls the ball down, taking a sack (usually something that kills drives).

That's 3 slants (the 2 mentioned above and the Griffin fumble) we ran as our primary route during the first 4 drives.  Griffin didn't pull the trigger on any of them.

Honestly, just watch the All-22 and press pause every time Griffin hits his back foot.  It's pretty common that there is (a) a wide open passing lane created by the OL, and ( B) a receiver with 1-on-1 coverage in that passing lane, with a step on his man.

So, I guess its okay for RG3 to stare down his receivers. I guess its okay for RG3 to overthrow them. I guess its okay for him to not plant and throw properly. I guess its okay for him to not read defenses, and hit WIDE open receivers. I guess as long as you all think its okay then everything is fine. GIVE ME A BREAK ! Ive been a skins fan for a long time and played ball in school. His fundamentals are WAY off. So before you rip me a new one, how about you all re-watch some tape.   

Griffin sure hasn't played up to his potential, but he sure isn't the reason this team is losing. Our Defense sucks!!!

Archived