Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Griffin Points Blame At Coaching (Postgame-Eagles)

truskinsfan18

Eureka, finally, he's starting to see the light...step into the light VOR slide.

Kinda like the opening of the Vikings game? RB sceen, hitch, hitch, WR screen, shallow crosser

We do not run 'tons' of slants and that's even including the recent up tick in use.

25% of our playcalls were slants vs the Vikings, and that's even when you include the glut of plays we ran in the 2 minute drill at the end of Q2 and Q4.  The very next week, we ran 3 slants during the first 4 drives, and a slant on the final, most critical play of the game.

Griffin is just not pulling the trigger.  He will throw to the open guy on a slant route about half the time.  The other half, he refuses to make the throw even when the receiver is open.  That's my assumption as to why you are under the false impression that we don't run a lot of slants - you're not taking into account all the times that we do run slants but Griffin pulls the ball down and scrambles, or makes the wrong read on the play.

As per my previous post, yes there have been more slants of late. But on the whole for the season we don't run a lot of slants.

And judging by the other thread you're bunching shallow crosses/drags/ and skinny post under the umbrella of slants and they're not.

I'm amused that you don't think Griffin can't identify and throw and open slant.

Look at the 2 gifs further up this page.  Is that not a slant?  Was the play not designed to go to Garcon?  Did the LG not push the DE to the right side of the line so as to create a passing lane for Griffin to Garcon?  Was Helu not sent to the LB nearest Garcon in order to occupy the defender and prevent him from jumping the slant?  Why isn't Griffin throwing that slant?  He looked at Garcon, and then looked to the opposite side of the field.

If he is bailing on the slant, what caused him to do so?  It's open.

Looks like an open slant that Griffin either failed to identify as open or didn't understand what the playcall was.

Eureka, finally, he's starting to see the light...step into the light VOR slide.

Kinda like the opening of the Vikings game? RB sceen, hitch, hitch, WR screen, shallow crosser

Here's the thing, I'm all for short, quick passes to get the ball out quickly.  Whether they are slants, screens, crosses, whatever.

BUT the strength of this team is running the ball, at the moment, with Morris.  So, the way you get chunk plays is with PA.  You have to do everything in order to be effective.  Robert was absolutely deadly on PA passes last year.  Just ridiculously accurate.  

He's not this year.  And they can't abandon that aspect of the offense.  But he's consistently missing receivers on PA this year.  It's every game, and it's not like they are tough throws or reads.  He's just flat missing them. And saying, "Oh, Robert isn't hitting these" doesn't meant that they shouldn't continue to work on them, practice them, and call them.  Because the only way he's going to get better at it is by repetition.  

I also believe that if a QBs off, he's off.  And he might not get on until the off-season. And Robert is off. 

What Kyle can do is call plays to get receivers open.  As far as I'm concerned, he's doing that.  Then it's up to the QB to execute them. I also think that they are calling a lot of quick throw type plays, and Robert isn't throwing quick.  Which makes it look even worse. There were several times in the Philly game when it looked like they had a slant called, the defender was off, and Robert didn't go there with the ball.  That should be an almost automatic check as the primary receiver. If Manning new that he had a slant, and the defender was off, that ball is coming out in like 1.8 seconds, without question.  Robert isn't there yet.  He's hesitating, and not controlling the pre-snap stuff as well this year as he did last year. 

Look, ever QB is going to miss a pass or two to an open receiver every game. Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Brady, they'll all miss a guy every now and then.  But the vast majority of the time, they put the ball right on the guy.

Robert isn't just missing guys resulting in incompletions, he's also inaccurate on throws that end up as completions.  Forcing receivers to stop their momentum, come back to balls, etc.  

I don't 

I disagree almost completely mainly because I don't think Griffin is missing significant number of reads/throws in the first place, but interesting narrative nonetheless.

Also, I wonder why you mentioning Griffin thinking he could be a pocket passer? Its not like he creates the strategy or gameplan.

I think Griffin is fine. Early on til about the Lions game he was rusty but since then I think he's been fine physically. And its not like he wasn't throwing during the offseason. He was throwing early and took first team reps during training camp.

I think the staff was not prepared for how well defenses (especially NFC east) would adjust to the pistol read-option portion of their offense. And because ~55% of the passing game was based on play-action the lack of a counter and continued lack of adaptation has hurt the passing game. Their bread and butter play action passing concepts aren't there and I imagine its disconcerting for Griffin. I think the rhythm drop back aspect of Griffin's game remains woefully under developed. And on the whole the offense lacks identity and seems more focued on creating being plays then being efficient. When I watch the games like Denver, Chargers, Bears, Vikings I believe the offense has turned a corner because of the shift in gameplan but the changes don't persist. I think we could beat the 49ers and win some games down the stretch if there is a shift in how the opening gameplans are handled. But, I am not hopeful.

If you don't think Griffin is missing reads and throws, then you are the only one out there that's saying that.  There is not one commentator, analyst, or prognosticator that isn't saying that Robert is missing throws and reads. 

The guy I listen to and respect the opinion of most is Chris Cooley.  Because he tells it like it is, doesn't seem to have an agenda (except kindof with Fred Davis, who's his boy), and will complement and criticism when he feels it's appropriate.  He's not a blind homer, and he's not a "hater." He also knows the offense, or most of it, because he played in it last year.  And while he's admitted that he doesn't know everything that they're doing this year, he was with Mike and Kyle for 3 years, and has a better than basic understanding of the playbook.

And HE says that Robert is missing reads, struggling to get from his primary read to his secondary read, that his footwork is sloppy, and that he's being inaccurate.  John Keim, who's my favorite of the beat reports, says almost the same, identical thing.  Keim is widely praised as one of the most even-handed beat reporters out there, even though now he's with ESPN.  

So, apart from what I can see with my own eyes, I'm going to trust those two, who's opinion I respect.  

As far as why I said Griffin came up with the theory that he could be a pocket passer, it's because of all the nonsense and leaks that came out his camp over the summer.  Comments he made, comments his father made, etc. I don't have exact quote, but it was a story line for a very long time.  Cooley even hinted at one point that he wondered if Robert had gone to Mike and Kyle and said that he wanted to be a pocket passer, and wasn't going to run.  It was just pretty clear Robert wants to be a passer.  And if you don't think that coming off of the knee surgery he had discussions about how he was going to be used, and what the strategy of the offense was going to be, your fooling yourself.  

I also think it's pretty much hogwash that the "staff" (ie: Kyle) didn't know how defenses were going to adjust.  I absolutely think they did.  But do you think, maybe, that if your QB isn't taking practice reps with the offense until 2 weeks before the season, and he's not fully healthy, it might be tough to implement those changes?  

Here's the scenario: They built an offense last year that was absolutely terrific, in almost every sense of the word, around Griffin's ability to be a run/pass threat.  Griffin was also very effective in the passing game, though he didn't have a lot of complex reads.  Everything was predicated off of the run game, which simplified the offense for Griffin. 

Now, coming into this year, the staff knew that Griffin would not be the same run/pass threat.  His running ability, or at least the desire to have him run consistently, was going to be diminished due to his knee surgery.  So, they have to come up with something else.  What that was supposed to be was a more traditional Shanahan offense. But that means that they were going to have to put Griffin into a position that he wasn't in last year.  And they had 2 weeks after training camp to install that and get Griffin practice reps in it.

See the problem there?  The plan could have been (and I think was) fine.  The problem is that Griffin didn't have the time to develop.  Not his fault.  Nobody's fault, really

You've got your point of view that Kyle and the staff is basically to blame for the offense.  You state that in just about every post. 

I believe that Kyle and the offensive staff have been absolutely fine in game planning and calling of plays, minus a few odd ones here and there.  I don't think opening a game with PA is a travesty, and I think that an NFL QB should be able to hit an open receiver.  

I think that the majority of the problem on offense is the QB is not able to execute consistently the game plan.  Which is forcing the game plan to change and become more simple.  And he's struggling with that.

And, I'm not saying that the 'Skins should cut Robert, or trade him, or that he's garbage, or anything like that.  I just think that it's a bad year, he wasn't ready for it, and they need to fix it in the off season.  

You asked why Kyle can't get an A+ QB to perform.  I think the reason is that the A+ QB is getting a C this year.  

If you don't think Griffin is missing reads and throws, then you are the only one out there that's saying that.  There is not one commentator, analyst, or prognosticator that isn't saying that Robert is missing throws and reads. 

The guy I listen to and respect the opinion of most is Chris Cooley... And HE says that Robert is missing reads, struggling to get from his primary read to his secondary read, that his footwork is sloppy, and that he's being inaccurate.  

He also says things like "Our defense sucks. Our special teams beyond sucks. And we wanna talk about Robert?"

Smh, I don't understand how you can recognize the need for gameplan/playcalling changes, recognize games that have featured higher efficiency opening plays but at the same time say that the passing games lack of success isn't a gameplan/playcalling issue. Seems schizoprhenic to me.
Or maybe its just that you have a problem with me as the messenger?
Because if shark says...

...I'd be running as many WC timing routes as possible where he doesn't have to hold the ball very long and let that start to give him some confidence and a sense of the game and help slow it down....

You respond with:

I completely agree with this.... However, I would love to see them run a lot of stuff, out of a lot of different formations, where he gets the ball out of his hand in 2.3 seconds or less...But that's where they need to focus. Just get the ball out quick. read/react. There are probably going to be a bunch of throws that are inaccurate. But you have to go through that before it gets better.

Seems kinda inconsistent to me. But I digress...

Here's the thing, I'm all for short, quick passes to get the ball out quickly. Whether they are slants, screens, crosses, whatever.

BUT the strength of this team is running the ball, at the moment, with Morris. So, the way you get chunk plays is with PA. You have to do everything in order to be effective. Robert was absolutely deadly on PA passes last year. Just ridiculously accurate.

He's not this year. And they can't abandon that aspect of the offense. But he's consistently missing receivers on PA this year. It's every game, and it's not like they are tough throws or reads. He's just flat missing them. And saying, "Oh, Robert isn't hitting these" doesn't meant that they shouldn't continue to work on them, practice them, and call them. Because the only way he's going to get better at it is by repetition.

I'm struggling with this schizophrenic logic. The easy passes (short quick, slants,screens etc) ARE working. The PA passing game is working but its not working like it did last year yet Kyle is dialing them up like last year. Some of the failure of the PA game is through defensive scheme the other part is through Griffin being out of synch or missing reads/throws. But, either way its not working. I've coached football and basketball I gaurantee asking your team to do something they're not good at is bad coaching. That's coaching towards your weakness and you should coach towards your strengths. No one is saying stop using PA completely. But be much more judicious with when its called. Don't start off games dialing up playaction or entire series setting up playaction for a QB that "[is]consistently missing receivers on PA this year" doing so would literally be the definition on insane.

I also believe that if a QBs off, he's off.  And he might not get on until the off-season. And Robert is off. 

Disagree. He's been on for stretches of games once he's in rhythm.

What Kyle can do is call plays to get receivers open.  As far as I'm concerned, he's doing that.  Then it's up to the QB to execute them. I also think that they are calling a lot of quick throw type plays, and Robert isn't throwing quick.  Which makes it look even worse. There were several times in the Philly game when it looked like they had a slant called, the defender was off, and Robert didn't go there with the ball.  That should be an almost automatic check as the primary receiver. If Manning new that he had a slant, and the defender was off, that ball is coming out in like 1.8 seconds, without question.  Robert isn't there yet.  He's hesitating, and not controlling the pre-snap stuff as well this year as he did last year. 

If you think  the playcalling is fine then they should have benched Griffin. If the QB is the only thing holding the offense back put Cousins out there. If you honestly think the Eagles gameplan and many other gameplans this year did absolutely everything possible to get Griffin in rhythm then we should just stop are discourse and agree to disagree. Because I think you are being schizophrenic or dishonest because you witness opening scripts like the Bears and Vikings where Griffin was in rhythm through quick passes as opposed to opening games with downfield play-action. And Kyle and Mike both mentioned a few games ago that they needed to change things in the offense.

SUM: If the gameplan and playcalling are fine and Griffin is holding the offense back just becnh him problem solved.

If you don't think Griffin is missing reads and throws, then you are the only one out there that's saying that.  There is not one commentator, analyst, or

prognosticator that isn't saying that Robert is missing throws and reads.

I disagree almost completely mainly because I don't think Griffin is missing significant number of reads/throws in the first place, but interesting narrative nonetheless.

RE:Cooley/Keim

Cooley has also been critical of Kyle although he approaches critique of the offense with kid gloves (he and Kyle are friends iirc).

If you follow Cooley he has mentioned and suggested some of the exact things I've mentioned to you in other threads.

Keim is good but he's also been flat out wrong at times in his break downs of plays.  

And furthermore I never said Griffin wasn't missing some reads and some throws. 

As far as why I said Griffin came up with the theory that he could be a pocket passer, it's because of all the nonsense and leaks that came out his camp over the summer.  Comments he made, comments his father made, etc. I don't have exact quote, but it was a story line for a very long time.  Cooley even hinted at one point that he wondered if Robert had gone to Mike and Kyle and said that he wanted to be a pocket passer, and wasn't going to run.  It was just pretty clear Robert wants to be a passer.  And if you don't think that coming off of the knee surgery he had discussions about how he was going to be used, and what the strategy of the offense was going to be, your fooling yourself.

So based on a whole bunch of speculation you basically attributing blame for the direction the offense took to Griffin, not the OC.

I also think it's pretty much hogwash that the "staff" (ie: Kyle) didn't know how defenses were going to adjust.

How is said this? Your starting to pose and answer your own questions again.

So, they have to come up with something else.  What that was supposed to be was a more traditional Shanahan offense. But that means that they were going to have to put Griffin into a position that he wasn't in last year.  And they had 2 weeks after training camp to install that and get Griffin practice reps in it.

They did not and have not run a more traditional Mike Shanahan offense. They had more then 2 week after training camp to install offense and get Griffin practice reps.

..The problem is that Griffin didn't have the time to develop.  Not his fault.  Nobody's fault, really

Actually it is someone fault. If you believe that was there view and there plan they failed and it is their fault.

Going by your view (WHICH I DISAGREE WITH BTW) they staff set forth with a plan that failed how can it not be there fault?

And if it is nobody's fault as you claim then how can you blame Griffin? According to you he is currently incapable of making the plays he's being asked to make.

You've got your point of view that Kyle and the staff is basically to blame for the offense.  You state that in just about every post.

I talk about specific situations where I question gameplan and/or playcalling. And I point to the coordination of the offense as a major piece of the puzzle in how Griffin and the offense actually play. So where you blame Griffin, I see a situation where the OC is not putting Griffin in the best position to succeed.  I would agree with you 100% if Kyle was doing absolutely everything he could through gameplan/playcalling to insure Griffin success but Griff was vomitting on himself. But that isn't the case. We see games where the gameplan is tailored to get Griffin going through moving the pocket, short passes screens/hitches/slants etc. But then there are also too many games where the opening gameplan doesn't involve any of the previously mentioned aspects and the offense and Griffin struggle.

I don't think opening a game with PA is a travesty, and I think that an NFL QB should be able to hit an open receiver.

To use your own words and thoughts..its a travesty because YOU"VE stated that Griffin cannot hit open receivers on play-action.

Why dial up a play that your QB can't execute? (Not to mention the fact that its not even open half the time).

I think that the majority of the problem on offense is the QB is not able to execute consistently the game plan.  Which is forcing the game plan to change and become more simple.  And he's struggling with that.

Bull. How was Griffin in the opening of the Viking's game? Bears? etc..

You asked why Kyle can't get an A+ QB to perform.  I think the reason is that the A+ QB is getting a C this year.

Talent level doesn't change Griffin is still an A+ talent. It's sad that Kyle is having him perform at a C level.

Then feel free to start talking about the Defense and Special Teams anytime you'd like.

There are a ton of threads about what's wrong/how bad our defense and special teams are - and those are areas I think we need to address much more so than our offense in general or QB specifically. However this is a thread about the offense and our QB so thats what we are going to discuss here - and there ARE things to discuss about how our offensive design, play calling and QB improve and develop.

I think the opening scripts of games are rather telling.

I think they are the easiest way to grade an OC and his overall preparation. Situation-ally, you have a baseline to grade week to week.

Later in the game, adjustments are made to compensate for mismatches being exploited, game situations start dictating play calling etc. Looking at opening drives keeps it simple.

I have been very disappointed with our opening scripts most of the year, and think our lack of points scored supports we have sucked to open games.

While its hard to conclusively prove, I do feel getting a QB making positive plays early bodes well for teams. We call it rhythm, or momentum. The defense gets much needed early support. You start helping field position, which our lame special teams need. You start demoralizing the opposition DC and force them to tear up their playbook. Suck the energy right out of fans, and silence the stadium. It's positive effects are wide spread.  Instead, it has been happening to us.

Imagine if you practiced all week for your opening script, and it fails miserably.  Quietly, you eventually lose faith in the OC. Eventually, the head coach. Finally, just give me my ****ing paycheck.

We often hear Mike talk about the importance of practice. If what you practiced does not work, eventually, it must be recognized and addressed. 

There are a ton of threads about what's wrong/how bad our defense and special teams are.

Um, where exactly?

One the main page I see one thread about the lack of pass rush and the rest is RGIII/Media coverage of RGIII, save a Jacoby for HoF thread and a thread where a website that takes crazy pills says the Skins have a top 5 offensive line.

Um, where exactly?

One the main page I see one thread about the lack of pass rush and the rest is RGIII/Media coverage of RGIII, save a Jacoby for HoF thread and a thread where a website that takes crazy pills says the Skins have a top 5 offensive line.

Things move fast around these parts but here you go, knock yourself out on the defense and special teams .... There are more if these don't do it for you, but I will let you find those.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/373978-haslet-hasnt-had-a-good-defense-or-winning-attitude-since-the-late-90s-what-did-shanny-see-in-him/?p=9632424

http://es.redskins.com/topic/366753-jim-haslett-time-for-him-to-show-something/?p=9464472

http://es.redskins.com/topic/373795-guess-our-special-teams-wtf-moment-of-the-week/?p=9626638

http://es.redskins.com/topic/373650-jim-haslett-change-our-defense/?p=9624094

http://es.redskins.com/topic/373575-nflcom-embarrassing-defense/

http://es.redskins.com/topic/373571-sav-rocca-the-ancient-punter/

http://es.redskins.com/topic/373546-linebackers-especially-london-fletcher/?p=9621057

Look at those 2 pictures. Clearly the primary is among the bunched receivers, that are all covered. That is our passing offense in a nutshell. All WRs bunched, going no where but a few yards down field, and covered. 

Sure Garcon is open, but that is not the play. Probably why the corner is playing off. Maybe he knows the play. 

I am not sure "running a slant" counts when that player is actually running interference. We are running countless long slow vertical routes, those are not slants IMO. our staple play may be crossing routes with a lot of interference.

If not, what is the staple play of our passing game, bubble to Garcon? 

Is it a slant if its not the primary? There is not enough time for a quick slant to be a 2nd read. 

I disagree on two points...One  Garcon is isolated one on one and has a lot of room between he and the next defender to the inside/middle of the field.  The tripes right is to clear that area imho, and it did just that.  That is why the middle is so open is that the coverage is dictated to drag lbs away from mid of field to cover 3 rec to the right.  Garcon is our No 1 and you want to get him isolated and in space for run after catch.  It's a perfectly designed play that definitely would have moved the chains, but could have scored with Garcon running in that space.  The only would be tackler would have been a safety that can't even be seen in frame.  RG should have looked right and thrown immediately back to the left to Garcon.  Even if he used it as a first read Garcon was open the whole time and had the1st down, but in this instance there was more than enough time to look right and back to Garcon.  RG locked on to the right and then locked on to the on coming rusher which then led to the familiar back peddle.

Smh, I don't understand how you can recognize the need for gameplan/playcalling changes, recognize games that have featured higher efficiency opening plays but at the same time say that the passing games lack of success isn't a gameplan/playcalling issue. Seems schizoprhenic to me.

Or maybe its just that you have a problem with me as the messenger?

I don't have any problem with you or your posts.  Just because we don't agree doesn't mean anything.

I'll try to be very clear about what I believe, because I don't think it' schizophrenic:

1. I don't have a problem with the game planning or the game calling, for the most part. 

2. I believe that there are different ways to open a game. You don't always have to throws quick screens/crosses, bubble screens to begin every game.  I think there are many ways to skin this cat, and get a QB comfortable. 

3. I'm going to make an assumption. This might/might not be true, but I'm assuming (and hoping to God) that it is: They have practiced, and had success running each of the plays, probably multiple times, that they have in their opening script.  If they were not having success with these plays in practice, they would not include them in the script.  The entire team knows the opening plays, so they should be able to execute them, and get comfortable. 

4. With the assumption of #3, and the fact that a lot of the time, with the play-action plays getting guys pretty open, they are trying to use a combination of quick stuff and play-action to get Robert comfortable.  I don't see a problem with this. 

5. Since this is a lost season, and now the primary goal is to keep developing Robert, I think that continuing to practice things that you are struggling with, and IF they are working in practice, then calling them on game-day, is not a bad idea.  Also, since Robert was so deadly on PA passes last year, they know he CAN do it.  So the idea of keeping at it isn't completely craxzy.  If Robert hadn't shown any propensity to be able to do this last year, then I'd probably have a different opinion. 

6. I believe that as a team, there is a desire to be more aggressive early in the game, get chunks of yardage, and get the ball down the field quickly. The reason being that the defense is SO bad and the ST are even worse, that to compensate, they'd like to get the ball down field to either a) start winning the field position battle or B) score.  

7. I think that there is a classic conundrum: The 'SKins are very efficient running the ball, however, they don't get a lot of points out of the running game. What they want to do is use the run to set up the pass. But it's not working very efficiently.

8. We might talk about how easy it is to get rid of the ball quickly. However, it's not always that easy. It relies on a QB to make extremely quick decisions, trust his instincts, and throw the ball.  If a QB is at all hesitant, it doesn't work.  It's easier said than done.  Which isn't to say they shouldn't keep trying to do it, but it's not like every QB can just get rid of the ball effectively in 2 seconds.  

Personally, even though I really don't have a problem with their approach, I would actually like to see them run the ball less early in games. I know, the "run the ball police" would take me to jail for that comment.  

But I think that by trying to establish the run early, that automatically takes the ball out of Robert's hands.  I like some simple PA stuff, quick throws, and that kind of thing early. But I would like to see them actually commit to the pass first, get that going, then start running. (Assuming the defense lets them do this, of course.)  Because more than the actual plays that are called, I think giving Robert 5 or 6 attempts in a row, without having to go every-other-play would actually be helpful.

The risk there, though, is you get 3 INCs and then punt.  Which doesn't help anything.  But, I think that it's probably a risk worth taking.  

Probably my least favorite opening sequence, regardless of outcome, is Run, Run, and then a 3rd down pass.  Because that means your first pass comes in a known passing situation. 

As far as just putting Cousins in... He might/might not be able to execute the offense better than Griffin right now.  Nobody has any way of knowing that.  But the narrative changes when you use 3 #`'s and a #2 on a  QB.  You've got to give them every chance to be successful. If Robert is having a slump right now, for whatever reason, they've got to work with him to get him out of it.  

And since he's sortof alternated good and bad games a little bit, it's time for some good games. :)  So, hopefully he'll play better tonight.  

It is coaching but we can't leave Griffin blameless.

It's coaching?  What is the coach suppose to do when your throwing 2 yards in front of the guy, throwing it in the dirt, not going through reads?  I understand your saying we can't keep him blameless, but that statement is almost as if "he should be only be alittle blamed"  He's more than half to blame for our terrible offense play.  Teams are stacking the box because they have no respect for RG3 to get it done in the air.  They know he's been awfully inaccurate and has no vision.  We are the easiest team to gameplan and blame goes on players as well including RG3.

• 2 weeks later...

Rg3 and his teammates aren't stupid. They know their jobs are on the line, and that Shanny is gone. It's easy to blame the outgoing boss, which is what they're doing. I don't blame them, I'd do the same. But he has a lot of growing up to do. I really want the next coach to be a hardass, keep it in house, no-nonsense type.

Archived