Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sav Rocca - The Ancient Punter

Redskins Ruckus

Sav Rocca has been pooching punts for the last several games. I believe it was the Chicago game where he had MULTIPLE. I'm not a Special Teams guy at all, and I know nothing about punting other than foot meets ball; ball goes high.

He gave the Vikings incredible field position for a drive that really sparked them. I believe we need our scout team to really start digging deep for a suitable replacement. We can't give opposing teams that kind of advantage. 

Thoughts from my fellow Armchair Coaches? 

Yea, I don't understand it.. FG kickers miss a few or have a couple bad games in a row and get the hook pretty quick.. Rocca's been shanking kicks all year long but they keep trotting him out there.. Even from the 50 yard line his "coughin corners" end up around 15 yard line on a good one.. Just one of the many mysteries of Mike Shanahan football.. :unsure:

I remember one of the reasons given a while back for keeping an under performing punter was consistency on field goals.  I think there are a couple of free agents out there that would probably do an alright job, first one popping into my mind being Chris Kluwe.

He's been bad for a while. Calling him an NFL punter is a disgrace to the other punters in the league. The majority of us could go out there every game when the momentum is swinging to the other team and instead of delivering in the moment kick one straight sideways out of bounds, which it feels like he has done every week this season. 

I think this goes on Mike Shanahan.  It reminds me of the Fletcher situation.  Here is a guy that is 38-39 year old punter and you would rather bring in competition for Kai Forbath than Sav.  Actually should have for both.  When we picked him up he was a one year solution and we've stuck with him for too long without looking at enough other options.  Only rationale for his keep is probably he holds really well on field goal kicks and the chemistry between Sav and the kicker must be crucial.

Rocca also managed about a 20 yard punt in the Broncos game.  He managed to kick to just out of Field Goal range for the Broncos.  I'm sorry but he has one job to do, punt the ball.  That's it.  Doesn't have to learn the playbook, doesn't have to have the pressure of kicking a field goal to win the game, nope.  Just punt the ball. 

Since I am in a foul mood this morning I may as well rant about the kickoffs too.  Why do we always have a kicker that cannot kick it for a touch back on the kick offs?  Forbath can't even get it to the goal line with the new field position!  WHY?????  Why do we have these inadequate punter/kickers?  Field position is vital and we lose 20 yards even punt and kick off.

I remember one of the reasons given a while back for keeping an under performing punter was consistency on field goals.  I think there are a couple of free agents out there that would probably do an alright job, first one popping into my mind being Chris Kluwe.

I don't want a retread, even if it is Kluwe. I want someone fresh. Maybe we can find an teammate of Forbath's from UCLA? Can we get their coach too? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

My problem is that while I admire his toughness, Rocca might be the most UNCLUTCH punter in the game.  I didn't even know punters could be clutch, I thought they just did good jobs coffin corner kicking or getting hang time on a more or less consistent basis.  Rocca has regularly shanked a punt just at the moment the Skins are pinned deep and need a good punt to win the field position battle.  In fact, he's often been so bad, I've wondered why we don't just go for it on fourth down, since his shanks usually only net 15-20 yards.  Esp, when it's fourth and short, your odds are better with a whole field to work with than with Rocca.

I posted this in the "special teams" thread: Both of the Skins kickers are DEAD F*%#ING LAST in the league. Graham Gano has not missed a single kick yet this year, and leads the league in kickoffs not returned. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN??

Welcome to the Redskins' special teams. :)

I like Sav Rocca. Yes, he has had a few bad punts, but he is seriously the least of the Redskins worries when it comes to special teams. If it wasn't for Rocca last season, I think we would have lost a couple more games than we did. He's been kicking balls since he lived in Australia and he was somewhat inconsistent then too, but when he gets going, he's a great punter and knows how to tackle better than any punter I know. But the sad truth is that even punters get old. Rocca doesn't deserve the blame though.

People who are mad at Cobra Kai need to take a chill pill.  Dude had a groin injury, works his butt off.  Anyone contemplating letting him go should be forced to watch Shaun Suisam highlights with their eyeballs glued open while Danny Smith snarls in the background.

People who are mad at Cobra Kai need to take a chill pill.  Dude had a groin injury, works his butt off.  Anyone contemplating letting him go should be forced to watch Shaun Suisam highlights with their eyeballs glued open while Danny Smith snarls in the background.

And as per our usual history, Suisam's performance has dramatically improved since leaving...aarrgghh. :angry:

Kai's da man.  His groin just isn't healed all the way yet, that's what I attribute the low FGs being blocked to.  Hope it doesn't damage him for future seasons.

Hail!

Too many shanked punts, his demeanor and follow through on punts are horrible.  It looks like he doesn't want to punt anymore or he

does not like Keith (special teams coach).  Personally, I would get rid of them both, along with Haslett.  I say these things because I punted from pop warner all the way through college.

Archived