Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Won Because We Executed Both Running And Passing

Warhead36

I'm reading a lot of posts like: "see Kyle, we ran the ball a lot and we won!"

That is true, we did run the ball a lot. HOWEVER...

We also executed in the passing game. That's the big difference between last week and this week.

When you're converting 3rd downs and keeping teams guessing because you can throw the ball well, it buys you more opportunities to run it. And then when you do run it, you're more successful.

We had quite a few 1st down PASSES late in the game that worked beautifully(big plays to Garcon in particular). You don't hear anyone complaining about throwing the ball on first down when you pick up 30+ yards. ;)

To me it's the opposite with this team. We run the ball, it opens up everything else. And we've run the ball well all year. Morris gets carries, good things happen. We've gotten away from the run WAY too much this year and not all down to the passing game not working and setting it up. Morris entered the game today as the 3rd highest back league wide yards per carry a game. He was also 16th in carries per game. That's bad utilization of a guy who flat out produces regardless of other factors working or not. 

Hail. 

I felt like the passing game opened up the running game. After we established the running game, we had success with PA. Our TEs have to be a staple in the passing game if we want to look anything like last year. This board has been screaming for TE plays like this and I'm a little pissed it took so long for them to do it.

I enjoyed seeing reed dominate the field like that. He seems to be a fast receiver for us. Throw in that he is a big guy and he dominates. I wished his blocking was a tad bit better on one play I saw but you can't ask for much since he's still learning a lot. Reed needs to be used a lot for games to come, he opened up a lot.

To me it's the opposite with this team. We run the ball, it opens up everything else. And we've run the ball well all year. Morris gets carries, good things happen. We've gotten away from the run WAY too much this year and not all down to the passing game not working and setting it up. Morris entered the game today as the 3rd highest back league wide yards per carry a game. He was also 16th in carries per game. That's bad utilization of a guy who flat out produces regardless of other factors working or not. 

Hail. 

I agree with you, the run game opens everything up.

HOWEVER, it opened things up last week too, we just didn't hit on any of the pass plays. We hit on them today, and that's why we scored 30 points and had a nice run to pass ratio.

Actually, it was the catching more than the passing. Garçon made quite a few circus catches of some poorly thrown balls. Griffin's passing was hot-&-cold, and his inaccuracies stifled several drives.

I think Griffin is going to have to work very hard this off-season to improve his passing, as well as learning to spot his receivers just as they start breaking free. He needs to hit more receivers in stride too. That would help open up the entire offense.

The percentages are not with you. 

For the past 15 years the marker has moved From:  Run to open up the Pass To: Pass to open up the Run 

However, our O is further distinguished by Roberts ability to break the pocket or keep the option.  It's a big deal. 

In short, freezing the second level should never be undermined and a healthy more athletic Robert is able to do that when rolling out and in read stretch plays.

If Kyle can incorporate the rollout/boot more consistently, we will see the mid passing game open up significantly.

Lastly, whether it is DY or Helu scoring from 10 yards out.. we would never be in the position to score without the work of AM!! 

I agree with the OP. I don't have a problem with using the pass to set up the run game or vice versa. Just win baby. But in the second quarter today, it appeared that Kyle was returning to the PASS-PASS-PASS-PUNT form from the 4th Q last week. I'm glad he returned to liberal doses of Morris/Helu/Young along with a passing unit that appeared to be returning to late-last season form. I will admit, by halftime today, I was angry at every aspect of this team! I'm damn proud of them now, even if they didn't win perfect! This is something they can build upon.

Actually, it was the catching more than the passing. Garçon made quite a few circus catches of some poorly thrown balls. Griffin's passing was hot-&-cold, and his inaccuracies stifled several drives.

I think Griffin is going to have to work very hard this off-season to improve his passing, as well as learning to spot his receivers just as they start breaking free. He needs to hit more receivers in stride too. That would help open up the entire offense.

Garcon made two catches that saved the pass. 

What about the other 21 pass that Robert made? Please explain the laser/perfect ball placement in the 4th Qtr.

Wasn't he the 4th rated passer in the NFL in completion percentage in 2012  @66%? 

We need to stop acting like Robert has to be perfect on every pass to meet some unobtainable ''Acceptable Quarterback" threshold that no one else in the NFL is adhering to. 

Come see me when we/skins can spend an extra 18 mil like the other 31 teams and we can have not only "good character guys".. but also some "bull nosed rollers" on the front line as well.   Come see me when we have games like this one where we don't flat out drop a minimum of 6 pass.

Please forgive me if I'm coming off harsh as my angst is not directed at you,.. however there is this funky narrative that has seem to permeate the majority of the RS nation.  It goes a little like this: "We no longer have a legit QB that performed amazing progressive QB (pass throwing) plays as 1st year player... and that crazy knee surgery thing.. whatever man.." 

We had quite a few 1st down PASSES late in the game that worked beautifully(big plays to Garcon in particular). You don't hear anyone complaining about throwing the ball on first down when you pick up 30+ yards. ;)

nobody will complain when you go unorthodox and it works. however, go away from what works, you will justifiably get ripped when it doesnt. 

its the nature of the beast. 

Hank even kicked in, great job, Reed, Hank and Garcon, building a receiving core. 

If you had asked me how our receivers did today, I would have said Garçon was typically strong and had a great game. I would have said that Reed is impressing me more and more. He's picking up where Fred Davis was at his best, despite the fact Reed's a rookie. I love watching him play. And I would have said Hankerson made some solid contributions. Then I checked the stats and saw that Hankerson actually had 5 catches to Reed's 4. I think this has been a nice season by Hankerson. Aside from a couple games, I've been impressed with his concentration and ability to bring in passes more cleanly.

As for Griffin, his accuracy has been off this season (60% for the season) but he completed 72% of his passes today. That's what he's shown he's capable of, and it's nice to see him get back to it. To me, he's looking more-and-more like the guy we watched all last season.

We also won because our defense played with alot of heart and a never give up attitude. With that goal line stand at the end of the 4th quarter, I didn't think there was any way in hell we could keep them out, but that is just what they did. We got some preasure on their QB, our db's had some good and not so good play. IMO, both offense and defense had a good game, special teams, lets save that for another day................ :angry:  :D

HTTR

Pierre Garcon is worth every penny. Anyone that still thinks he's not worth the money or what everyone makes of this so called "#1" receiver should be aware of that by now. Personally, I didn't have any problem with any of his comments last week. Media that did all said, "Well Pierre, maybe there's more that you could be doing..." In the last two weeks I've seen three highlight reel one handed catches - two of which today were huge/clutch plays. One would have been pass interference but either way Pierre got his point across and he is clearly working his ass off to do everything in his power to keep the passing game from "sucking." I love his attitude. 

Also wanted to point out that I'm shocked no one has started a "Darrel Young gets a first down or a TD every time he's touched the ball...should we start him over Morris?" thread yet. SHOCKED, I say. 

FYI: Alfred Morris has the highest yards per carry (for a non-QB) at 5.2 yards. Next guy is 4.8.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt

He's an outstanding running back. Considering how he gets slammed for not being explosive, the guy sure does get a lot of big runs. Check out how many 20+ yard runs he has compared to any running back in the top 20 (only Gore has more).

I still, after today's game, do not accept Pierre as a true number 1. He is not a vertical threat and I think he would be more dangerous as a 1b or a 2 behind a Big CJ or B Marshall type of guy. Garcon is a runt. That is just what he is. It is not going to consistantly beat man coverage against strong secondaries like in KC or Seattle. He is not a vertical threat. What he has is great body control and great hands. He lacks size and that isn't going to change. And I still don't like his going to the press with internal team business.

Flame shield activated.

While I understand what you are trying to say in the OP I have to disagree, because its not about whether you pass or run on first down.  The issue is passing on all three downs.  What I like about today is if first down was an incomplete pass, we actually ran on a lot on 2nd down.  We only had 1 drive where we passed on all 3 downs.  The mixture is what we need to keep the defense off balance and I think we did a good job of that today!!!

Archived