Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Blackfish Backlash.

DM72

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/24/living/parents-blackfish-kids-seaworld-zoos/

Anyone who have a gripe against zoos and/or aquariums should really watch this documentary. The documentary is about the capture and treatment of orca's/killer whales in aquariums and SeaWorld.

Now, I'm not gonna be a total hypocrite because I do enjoy going to the zoo to see animals. But I don't believe an animal as large as an orca should ever be in captivity. They're simply too large.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/24/living/parents-blackfish-kids-seaworld-zoos/

Anyone who have a gripe against zoos and/or aquariums should really watch this documentary. The documentary is about the capture and treatment of orca's/killer whales in aquariums and SeaWorld.

Now, I'm not gonna be a total hypocrite because I do enjoy going to the zoo to see animals. But I don't believe an animal as large as an orca should ever be in captivity. They're simply too large.

Too big to jail?  :)

I'm not a staunch animal rights activist by any stretch of the imagination, but I've never really understood the fascination with zoos/aqariums (with the exception of little kids) anyway. For me personally, I'd much rather go to see them in their natural habitat, than in a crowded, smelly zoo, with them bored out of their minds, or doing what some zookeeper/showman tells them to do. I'd rather they be allowed to live there and not be cooped up like that, or raised in captivity.

I'm not a staunch animal rights activist by any stretch of the imagination, but I've never really understood the fascination with zoos/aqariums (with the exception of little kids) anyway. For me personally, I'd much rather go to see them in their natural habitat, than in a crowded, smelly zoo, with them bored out of their minds, or doing what some zookeeper/showman tells them to do. I'd rather they be allowed to live there and not be cooped up like that, or raised in captivity.

To be fair, zoos do serve a purpose. Some animals are rescued from 3rd world circus' and poorly run animal refuges or from other bad situations.

true, the next time i am weighing the choice between

Zoo    or     a trip to the wilds of Botswana

i will choose Botswana.

similarly, if given a choice between

Scuba diving in the Maldives      or      Baltimore Aquarium

i will go Grand Male.

Ugh, zoos/aquariums. Even when humans appreciate animals they **** it up.

Oh and anyone who go see animals in circuses can die in a fire.

Zoos and aquariums, in theory, can serve a pretty good purpose.

A well run zoo or aquarium can provide a great place for regular people to learn about and grow to appreciate animals, as well as allow scientists to study animals in a controlled environment, and all while giving many animals that would have been killed (whether they were wounded/sick and were found somewhere or were rescued from a show or previously bad environment) another chance at life.

Zoos and aquariums by themselves aren't bad.  It's the mismanagement of zoos that lead to poor treatment of animals or forcing them to do tricks and perform in scheduled shows that are the issue.

ROFLMAO! Good one!

As for the Orcas, if you've ever seen this, like me you won't care too much about the poor babies being a little cooped up. It's just karma.

Eh.

That's the natural circle of life between predator and prey.  Can't hate on that.

ROFLMAO! Good one! As for the Orcas, if you've ever seen this, like me you won't care too much about the poor babies being a little cooped up. It's just karma.

WHAT?!?! So you're one of those people that think predators are bad. OK.

One of the many reasons not to visit these over priced **** holes, especially if they have the name Disney associated with them.  Do yourself a favor, save several thousand dollars, visit a place like Costa Rica and enjoy nature instead of feeding your kids the load of crap these places feed you.

My dad was telling me about this, saying training don't even get on top of the nose to do tricks with them anymore because of how scared they are of the orcas. At the end of the day, it says it in the name, they're Killer Whales. These are the only animals I've ever seen swim upside down so their prey can't see their back fin sticking out the water. They have no business being asked to do tricks for our entertainment...

I'll never forget the last time I went to a circus.

They paraded these camels out and had them do tricks and then offered kids up to ride on them.  After they were done the Ringmaster comes over the PA and says "And off they go! Back to their desert oasis!" As we were leaving I look over and saw them loading them up into their cages.  Cram packed into a small trailer where they could only move their heads up and down.

Felt absolutely horrible for them.  Never been back to a circus, zoo or aquarium since that day.

Archived