Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Non Political Govt Shutdown Thread

Kilmer17

Homeland Security is not affected at all at this point

Technically true but the emergency management types I know are pretty concerned that adequate support staff might not be readily available in the event of a large-scale incident. 

Assuming that this is also a good place for "non-political debt ceiling crash" discussion. 

Boy, I really don;t want to cash in all of my stocks.  I've made a ton of money, on paper.  And, if I cash them in, I'm gonna get hit for a boatload of Capital Gains taxes, that I would have really preferred to have on next year's taxes. 

But, dang, I'm really getting the impression that the orders have gone out, and start pushing the "crashing the debt ceiling really won;t be that bad, those other people are just trying to scare people, and if the markets get scared, then it's not because of people like me, announcing that I think crashing the debt ceiling won;t hurt". 

Really makes me think that I really ought to be all cash for the next month or so.

This is where I am about now. I know Boner has said he won't let the govt. default but it sure as hell sounds like the chorus is starting to build that it wouldn't be such a bad thing and that (so far anyway) the other side is planning to stand firm. Quite frankly, that's lunacy. For all our sakes, I hope somebody bails these fools out of their own intransigence soon.

I work under the DHS banner for one of the sub-agencies, and I am furloughed. On the wrong side of the numbers really. Of the 62,000 or so CBP employees, 56,000 or so were deemed essential (officers, field staff, important support staff, etc.) but I was one of the 6,000 who were not. Really, most of the 6,000 who were not are support folks in the HQ region.

I can totally understand why I was not marked essential, my job isn't necessary to the daily functioning of CBP. I work in the FOIA office, processing requests for government information. I'm the guy who blacks out stuff. The people it's affecting are regular citizens. Many requests for information that we receive are people who need copies of their travel in and out of the country. They need these official records for any number of reasons, but often it's because they're applying to become U.S. Citizens, avoid deportation, or to apply for retirement benefits from another country and needing to prove how much time was spent where. To those folks, we're important, but they're going to have to wait.

Then you have the people who want to know why they keep getting inspected for hours at the border and "what we have on them." I care more about the first group, but we're still mandated to answer these. Then you get the requests from news media and other special interest groups that can be a real pain in the ass, but I won't get into that now.

So like I said, I understand, but my understanding isn't paying the mortgage or the kids daycare costs. I'm pretty damn frustrated at our elected officials right now and would like nothing more than to get back to being responsive to the public.

It doesn't help you now Forehead, but at least your "vacation" will be paid when you get back (assuming the Senate doesn't torpedo the bill that the House approved unanimously).

Best of luck though man. My wife got recalled after her 3 1/2 days of furlough because the Army Corp of Engineers had enough money leftover from last year to pay for her department (CHRA) for 3 months.

..and no - I mean no disrespect by equating furloughs to vacation. I was furloughed at times up to 3 days a month for the state - so I know the pain and suck that is furlough.

edit..as for the mortgage concerns..it might be worth a shot to call your mortgage company and inquire if you can safely miss a payment due to furloughs..I suspect if its a major company they will have some type of assistance in cases like this. Doesn't help with the day care though.

:(

Our daycare allows a few vacation weeks where you don't have to pay as long as they're scheduled in advance. They've been nice enough to let us have one for this week, though as a result, I'm stuck at home all week with a 3.5 year old and a 21 month old. Let's just say I have a new appreciation for stay at home parents. So that helps. Depending on how long this goes on for, I may have to file for a TSP loan to cover expenses; the interest rate on the loan is only 2.25% per year. It comes out to about $70 for a $5000 loan when paid back over the course of one year. That's not too bad at all.

Edit...yeah, I know that ultimately it looks like this will become a paid vacation, other than the fact that work will be piled up, our annual report will be past due, and most importantly from a personal perspective, my five year security recertification (the background investigation) was supposedly due this Friday. It'll be interesting to see how that is handled.

This is NOT an attempt to stir debate. I simply need one answer...

Exactly which political entity decided to pack it up and go home? The republicans or the democrats.. or the president?

I'm not looking for an answer that says, "So-and-so had no choice due to the idiocy of so-and-so." I just want to know who actually "went on strike" or said "we're not showing up anymore."

Factual, actual, and inarguable true answer. Who ditched?

The House is still passing bills to fund different parts of the government. The Senate is saying no votes on the house bills.

Marchers urge Congress to pass immigration reform; several congressmen arrested

Protesters converged on the Mall on Tuesday afternoon to call on Congress to pass a comprehensive overhaul of the nation’s immigration and border control laws by year’s end.

At least 100 people were arrested, including several congressmen, after demonstrators sat down in the street in front of the Capitol. Protestors had vowed to engage in civil disobedience, and their fellow marchers cheered as each person was led away in handcuffs by Capitol Police.

Among those arrested were several lawmakers, including U.S. Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez (D-Ill.), U.S. Rep. Charles B. Rangel (D-N.Y.),U.S. Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) and U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.). Gustavo Torres, head of Casa de Maryland, immigration lawyers, priests and labor activists also were taken into custody. The protesters were charged with “crowding, obstructing and incommoding,” a spokesman for the Capitol Police said.

Government Shutdown, Debt Limit Battles Continue Amid Hints Of Short-Term Truce

On Wednesday, they planned votes on a measure financing death benefits to families of fallen U.S. troops. Blaming the shutdown, the Pentagon has halted the $100,000 payments, usually made within three days of a death, a stoppage Boehner called "disgraceful."

On Tuesday, the House approved a GOP bill providing money for Head Start pre-school programs for low-income children.

It also voted to promptly pay federal employees who have been working without paychecks during the shutdown and to establish a bipartisan congressional committee to negotiate ways to reduce the budget deficit. The White House threatened vetoes of both, saying the House should instead reopen the entire government and extend the debt limit.

This is NOT an attempt to stir debate. I simply need one answer...

Exactly which political entity decided to pack it up and go home? The republicans or the democrats.. or the president?

I'm not looking for an answer that says, "So-and-so had no choice due to the idiocy of so-and-so." I just want to know who actually "went on strike" or said "we're not showing up anymore."

Factual, actual, and inarguable true answer. Who ditched?

Personally, I don't think you can ignore the extraneous circumstances. 

OK, now I'm REALLY getting mad:

Craft beer industry goes flat during government shutdown

The federal government shutdown could leave America's craft brewers with a serious hangover.

Stores will still offer plenty of suds. But the shutdown has closed an obscure agency that quietly approves new breweries, recipes and labels, which could create huge delays throughout the rapidly growing craft industry, whose customers expect a constant supply of inventive and seasonal beers.

Mike Brenner is trying to open a craft brewery in Milwaukee by December. His application to include a tasting room is now on hold, as are his plans to file paperwork for four labels over the next few weeks. He expects to lose about $8,000 for every month his opening is delayed.

The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, or TTB, is a little-known arm of the Treasury Department. The agency will continue to process taxes from existing permit holders, but applications for anything new are in limbo.

"One could think of this shutdown as basically stopping business indefinitely for anyone who didn't have certain paperwork in place back in mid-August," said Paul Gatza, director of the Brewers Association, which represents more than 1,900 U.S. breweries.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500395_162-57606653/craft-beer-industry-goes-flat-during-government-shutdown/

Did a tour of some of the monuments with some out of town relatives. While there were railings and some 'police tape' up, there was no serious attempt to prevent people visiting most of the monuments. People were wandering around the WWII, for example. The paths along by the reflecting pool had been taped off and barriers placed, but they had been moved. 

But I've never seen so many park rangers and park police just standing around. The Lincoln Monument itself was inaccessible when we were there but seemed to have a crowd on the upper steps from a distance. Down by the Vietnam Memorial there was a park ranger, who looked like a damn hippy, standing behind a railing blocking two-thirds of the path. He was muttering about "wishing people would respect the closure", but not preventing people walking by. But I had better things to do than ask him what he thought was worthy of respect in the "closure".

So to update, I kept the kids home this week to save daycare money, as I mentioned in my previous post. A week with a 21 month old son who got sick (again) this time with something I had never heard of before, apparently as a side affect of the medicine he was taking for an ear infection. And my daughter is 3.5 and in full sass mode.

I got distracted making breakfast yesterday morning and forgot to let the dogs out. The 80 pound dog decided to relieve herself in the kitchen. This morning, I had to force them outside in the rain. When I let them back in, I went back to focusing on the kids, and the smaller, 30 pound dog, decided to relieve himself in the kitchen.

Today, I finally had both kids down for naps, and was attempting to clean the house, and discovered one of the dogs had thrown up in a blanket and then hidden it. I suspect the bigger dog, she's smarter.

So to recap, it's been 3.5 days, one sick kid who wakes up every hour at night, isn't taking his usual naps, and screams to high heaven if you don't do exactly what he wants. An older kid who is beginning to learn how to negotiate. And two dogs who crap in the house if they're ignored for half a second and know how to hide their vomit.

At this point, I would gladly accept a delayed paycheck. Just please God, somehow mark me essential so I can go back to work and leave this house. Delay my paycheck for two months if you must, just free me.

Assuming that this is also a good place for "non-political debt ceiling crash" discussion. 

Boy, I really don;t want to cash in all of my stocks.  I've made a ton of money, on paper.  And, if I cash them in, I'm gonna get hit for a boatload of Capital Gains taxes, that I would have really preferred to have on next year's taxes. 

But, dang, I'm really getting the impression that the orders have gone out, and start pushing the "crashing the debt ceiling really won;t be that bad, those other people are just trying to scare people, and if the markets get scared, then it's not because of people like me, announcing that I think crashing the debt ceiling won;t hurt". 

Really makes me think that I really ought to be all cash for the next month or so. 

And today is why pros strongly caution against attempting market timing.

It's very very difficult to pull off.  If you sold four days ago, you missed the correction.  You might have lost a bit on Tuesday and Wednesday, but right now the market is higher than it was when you posted that.

This might be one of the sadder shutdown pics I've seen.

I'd go with this one:

michelle.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/10/07/this-cancer-patients-treatment-is-on-hold-because-of-the-government-shutdown/

This woman's cancer treatment is on hold because NIH is shut down. For her, days and weeks matter as it could be the difference between living 6 more months or 18 more months. It could be the difference between the experimental treatment curing the disease and it being too late. It could be the difference in that little girl having a mother raise her, or never knowing her. That is the image that is engrained in my head as we go through this, and it resonates particularly because I too have a mother going through cancer treatment.

Bill To Provide Military Death Benefits To Families Of Fallen Soldiers Approved By Senate

A bill to provide death benefits to the families of fallen members of the military during the government shutdown was passed by the Senate on Thursday.

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) asked the Senate to pass the House measure with unanimous consent, and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) did not object. The bill will now go to President Barack Obama's desk for his signature.

Archived