Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Non Political Govt Shutdown Thread

Kilmer17

So.  What ACTUALLY is now "shutdown, closed, furloughed, etc"?

Congressmen and staffs are still getting paid right?  Military is still funded.  Medicare/caid is still functioning.  Welfare checks and ss checks are still going out.

What's actually affected by this?

Congressmen and staffs are still getting paid right?  Military is still funded.  Medicare/caid is still functioning.  Welfare checks and ss checks are still going out.

Some congressional staff are getting paid. My wife works for one and she is furloughed for now.

This is exactly the problem- a government shut down should mean just that.  Military, law enforcement, security, prisons, everything... should be shut down. 

Maybe then assholes would stop using gov't shutdown as political gamesmanship

This is exactly the problem- a government shut down should mean just that.  Military, law enforcement, security, prisons, everything... should be shut down. 

Maybe then assholes would stop using gov't shutdown as political gamesmanship

Military, security, prisons should stay going...Congress and the President should have their pay suspended...its their mess they should be the ones to suffer....

Military, security, prisons should stay going...Congress and the President should have their pay suspended...its their mess they should be the ones to suffer....

no, it would be nice to see the politicians have to answer to military families and families of victims

most of these guys are independently wealthy from political interest money, salaries wouldn't mean much

I don't understand why a contractor would be affected. Aren't you working on an existing contract? Isn't your company able to pay you from the money received?

That's what I thought, tbh.  Then at COB yesterday we got word from our contracts department that we were not to show up for work.  I don't know what our client had to say about it.  Last we had heard from them they said to report as normal.

Contracts aren't getting paid. 

And there's the answer.  What I figured but wasn't sure.

no, it would be nice to see the politicians have to answer to military families and families of victims

most of these guys are independently wealthy from political interest money, salaries wouldn't mean much

True, but I would bet taking their pay away would still hurt...plus the Government would be saving money.

I would also HATE to see the men and women who bravely fight for our country to suffer in any way.

I wonder what would happen if a disgruntled officer decided to try and rally the troops against the government for taking away their pay?

I have a few friends who are furloughed.  A business-type working for the FAA, an engineer that works on DOD contracts, a scientist for the CDC, a psychologist...

These are not independently wealthy politicians and bureaucrats.  They're regular people, some single-earners, with mortgages to pay. 

There's also a domino effect - people without paychecks aren't buying goods, which affects pretty much everyone.  The GDP is going down as we speak.

Local county gov'ts are rightfully concerned as well. a prolonged federal shutdown would hit counties like Arlington, Fairfax, Montgomery and PG pretty hard in terms of possible foreclosures and what not. 

Also DC:

25. Will the District of Columbia shut down? The district does not have complete autonomy and relies on an appropriation from Congress to operate. So during the shutdowns in the 1990s, trash went uncollected, and many city departments closed. In a departure from past shutdowns, Mayor Vincent Gray has informed the Office of Management and Budget that he has deemed all city employees "essential." The district's own attorney general has declared the mayor's plan illegal.

Jerry Jones Tanning booth!?!?

Wait, I thought Obama signed a bill last night making sure the military would still get paid?

I ASSUME that's the troops. Not defense contractors.

The GDP is going down as we speak.

Cue Republicans blaming that on Obamacare in 3, . . 2, . . .

Asking nicely for all to keep this non political.

What determines what gets funded and what doesnt?

I think I agree with Zoony.  If it's a shutdown, lets have at it.  Otherwise it rings hollow.  Kinda like the "non filibustering" filibuster.

I don't understand why a contractor would be affected. Aren't you working on an existing contract? Isn't your company able to pay you from the money received?

The IT contractors I know that run their own businesses pay their employees first and then collect the money for those employees at a later date.  I think it's 30 or 60 days, something like that.  I don't know how they handle something like this.  Since the employee works for them technically I'm not sure if they wouldn't have to keep paying them and simply eat the loss or if it's written into the agreement that in this instance the employee simply goes without.  I assume benefits would be uninterrupted while they remain employed but who knows.    

Archived