Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something Positive To Look Forward To Following Bye Week

#98QBKiller

Our defense has been pretty bad overall but we will be getting back two starters for the Dallas game: Rob Jackson and Jarvis Jenkins. 

I just realized this while reading this article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/09/04/rob-jackson-permitted-to-be-at-redskins-park-during-suspension/

The Redskins have a bye in Week 5, so Jackson and Jenkins’s first games back will both be Oct. 13 at Dallas.

I know it's not like we're getting our top defensive players back, but both guys have things they do well. Jackson is a good pass-rusher and Jenkins is good at stopping the run. Getting them back can only help our defense. 

We should also be getting Adam Carriker back around week 7 which will help us as well. Although we could use the most help in defensive coaching and the secondary, these are some positives to look forward to with regard to the defense.

Rob Jackson may not be a starter this year but was the starter for most of last year had some great interceptions Specially against Dallas and some key sacks.  Now imagine lining up Jackson as the Backer and Orakpo as the End and other Side with Kerrigan and Rookie Backer (can't think of his name) on passing downs!   Kerrigan and Orakpo could runsh or drop out and let the other backers rush or rush all four or any combination..    

Jarvis is going to help with Rotation and help on the long drives and teams that have worn us down in the second half. 

Anything is going to help..  Hopefully the rookies keep getting better in the secondary.   

I hope people realize how important Jarvis Jenkins is to our d. I know a few complain about his lack of game changing plays, but he's a big body that doesn't get pushed back and leaves no hole for RBs to go through, something we need right now.

Hopefully it's a lesson learned that players who aren't flashy but get the job done are incredibly important and their contributions shouldn't be downplayed.

Same goes for Jackson. He's very good at stopping the run as well.

If we could get teams in more obvious passing downs during a game, especially by stopping the run, that plays right into the strength of our front seven.

Stopping Demarco Murray will be the key against Dallas. We stop him, I believe we have Romo sits to pee's number.

It really sucks that we didn't have Jackson and Jenkins in the rotation while the offense was struggling over those first couple of games. We touted our depth coming into this season, but we didn't have access to much of it until now. It's a big gain for us.

Jarvis COULD BE important.  But there is a big "IF"   We saw his potential before he was injured, but as of yet he has not made the impact we all thought.  Not to say he can't or won't but it hasn't happened yet.

He's certainly stagnated and not developed into anything like the disruptive backfield force he was at Clemson. He get's little to no push at all. Although I do wonder how much of that is him as yet not regaining his full health/ strength from the injury. 

But he's been a real stout, immovable object against the run. Which is something this line badly needs as Sunday aside, we've been pretty darn poor in both facets thus far taking games as a whole and not final stats in isolation. 

Fantastic to get two key contributors back. Not sharing the OP's optimism on Carriker who I think is all but done here in reality. As much chance as we're giving him this season to get back. 

Hail. 

Yea, was really hoping Jarvis would (continue to) be the force we saw for a few preseason games in 2011.. Hopefully it's just time he needs to regain confidence and health from the ACL injury.. He had beast potential for a minute though.. Get it back Jarvis!! Give em' hell..

Side note: Anyone heard anything about Cofield's hand? After that fumble recovery where he had a tug-o-war with someone, he looked like he was favoring the arm/hand coming off the field?? Hope he didn't re-aggravate it..

Good to have them both back. I think Jarvis will make more of a difference as the front 7 haven't been great against the run, largely due to being unable to make a tackle. Overall the defense won't improve much as the real issues are in the secondary, especially against the quick throw where the DL have no chance to get to the QB.

We'll also have to free up two roster spots...

Good to have them both back. I think Jarvis will make more of a difference as the front 7 haven't been great against the run, largely due to being unable to make a tackle. Overall the defense won't improve much as the real issues are in the secondary, especially against the quick throw where the DL have no chance to get to the QB.

We'll also have to free up two roster spots...

If Cobra is back we only need to free up one spot.  Hopfully he will be healthy after the bye

He's certainly stagnated and not developed into anything like the disruptive backfield force he was at Clemson. He get's little to no push at all. Although I do wonder how much of that is him as yet not regaining his full health/ strength from the injury. 

But he's been a real stout, immovable object against the run. Which is something this line badly needs as Sunday aside, we've been pretty darn poor in both facets thus far taking games as a whole and not final stats in isolation. 

Fantastic to get two key contributors back. Not sharing the OP's optimism on Carriker who I think is all but done here in reality. As much chance as we're giving him this season to get back. 

Hail. 

I agree with you on Carriker.  I think he is being given the chance to come back on principal grounds (vets getting injured and then dumped before having a chance to return is bad for team moral) but could be wrong on the reason and want to be wrong on my expected outcome that he won't be back in a meaningful way.

Jackson back is good options, especially with his skill set and how poorly Fletcher is playing.

The highlighted bit of your post.  When was JJ a disruptive force in the back field for Clemson?  The interview Mike gave the day we drafted Jarvis had him saying we think doing what he does will get penetration in our system, because he was specifically asked about JJs lack of penetration.  His stats say he took over 10 games for each sack recorded and averaged nearly half a tackle for loss per game.  In a 16 game season that's 1 sack and 7 TFLs per season which is not disruptive by any means.

What he is good at is not being moved by OL, like you say, not sure where the rest comes from but am looking for as much positive as I can get so looking forward to being shown.

EDIT:  Take a look at http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jarvis-jenkins-1.html then check out a disruptive back field force (IMO) http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jj-watt-1.html

GHH writes:

Fantastic to get two key contributors back. Not sharing the OP's optimism on Carriker who I think is all but done here in reality.

You said the same thing about Merriwether.  That he would never play another down with the Redskins.

Never say never. :)

GHH writes:

You said the same thing about Merriwether.  That he would never play another down with the Redskins.

Never say never. :)

Jackson. I said I highly doubt Tanard Jackson ever plays an NFL down again, let alone here.

But I did seriously doubt Merriweather would put back-to-back games together like he just has so your point is duly noted.

Hail.  

The highlighted bit of your post.  When was JJ a disruptive force in the back field for Clemson?  

A case of the stats not telling the whole story. He was very raw no doubt at Clemson and often got too high and stiff and just became anchored to the line with his trength. But he was also pretty darn athletic for a big ol' lineman who was quick off the snap and got a lot of push up front into the oppositions backfield on games I watched. 

Hail. 

I think overall Jarvis is going to be better than he was last season. Remember he had an ACL injury so this is his 2nd year after that injury so I think he will be stronger, faster, and play more carefree.  its huge to have him back and rotate, especially with teams like Denver and Eagles coming up in the next few weeks with their fast pace offense.

Jackson is also very important in rotation, dare i say against a team with a QB that gets the ball out fast he is more important that Rak as he is IMO a better pass defender.

Carriker is scheduled to make a return this season? I'm all forward, especially to help slow opposing running backs

1) I'm glad to see that 98Orakopo98 is conceding that Jackson is a starter.

2) DeadEx, Carriker is on the PUP.  The new rules this year are that after week 6, he gets up to a five week roster exemption.  So he could return anytime between week 7 or week 11.  We're probably looking at closer to week 10 or 11 for him, though.  He'll obviously need to replace someone on the 53 when he's ready.  I hope he makes it back.  But it wouldn't break my heart to see him waived.

If he isn't ready to go by the end of the five week roster exemption, we'll either need to move him to IR or waive him.

Im sorry if I missed it, but my feed for the game seemed drunker than I was, but what happened to Hall? Was he injured?

this bye couldn't come at a better time imo. I think we'll get the kinks worked out and unleash hell on Dallas.

He was hurt, but he went back in a couple of series later.  He's been a baller this year.

Rob Jackson isn't a starter per se but he's going to allow Orakpo to pass rush more often, too many times i'm seeing Orakpo in coverage while Kerrigan is pass rushing. Having Rob Jackson back allows Orakpo Jackson Kerrigan and Brandon Jenkins to be on the field at the same time every once in a while wrecking havoc.

Honestly I think we win 6-7 games this year because our offense that carried us last year just isn't the same this year but it's still going to be an enjoyable season because we get cap back next year and we already have the QB so we don't have to spend 10 years looking for that again.  

Archived