Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 16: Donald Trumps wins Presidency. God Help us all!

88Comrade2000

Yeah, I really suspect that, at this stage, the fundraising is a much better predictor of success than polling numbers. 

Not sure if you where adding a little light humor to this thread or not but I actually do agree with you post Larry.  We know money drives most things.  It's not a guarantee but it's usually a pretty good indicator of who is going to be a player in elections.  

Not sure if you where adding a little light humor to this thread or not . . .

Absolutely serious.

At least, within a party. That money allows a Bush to not feel like he absolutely has to be the big winner, early, or else he's out.  It allows him to stay on message, and not worry about what Donald said yesterday. 

Now, I'm not sure that I'd say that those numbers guarantee that bush beats Hillary, because their tactical positions are so different.  The Republican money people have thrown huge piles of money at Bush, specifically because they want him to stay moderate and ignore the rabble.  The Dem money people don't have to do that, for Hillary. 

As an FYI,

Here are where the top 3 Presidential contenders sit with regards to Campaign contributions.  The numbers reflect Millions.

Jeb Bush $120.0

Hillary Clinton 67.8
Ted Cruz 52.5

Dang, there's some other interesting information in that article, too.  Some surprises: 

95% of Cruz's money comes from donors who donated $1M or more. 

Most of Bush's money comes via Super PACs.  (Or what I think of as "money laundering organizations.)  Most of Hillary's money is directly in her personal campaign. 

Walker is way down the funding list, at #14.  Between Huckabee and Fiorina.  Heck, Cristie and Parry have Walker beat bu more than 2 to 1. 

Yes, there is a lot of info in that article.  I was just posting a response saying this when I saw yours.   I have consistently been against unlimited funds for political campaigns.   I was against this with the Obama Campaign and I am against it in this campaign.  I really believe that limits should be set and everybody should have to work within those budgets.  It's a lot more fair, IMO, but it's never going to happen.  

So much wrong with how we do things in the electorial process IMO.   Probably needs to be it's own thread.

Looking at that graphic about the debate at the top of the page, among the candidates who would be out of the debate:

- Perry

- Santorum

- Jindal

- Fiorina

are completely unelectable.  Pataki, much like Jim Webb, doesn't have any national brand.  Hasn't been in offce in 9 years, I don't see him having much of a chance either.  They left off Jim Gilmore, but he's in the same boat as Pataki.

Graham is the only legitimate candidate getting left out IMO.  Graham is a brilliant retail politician and has the mind and mouth to be a strong candidate.  He would absolutely make the debates more substantive and interesting.  If he gets left off and his candidacy withers on the vine, I think that'd be a shame.  I think he would have done well in a much smaller and more serious GoP field.

As for the guys that would get in, Carson, Huckabee, and Trump are all turds that won't have a snowballs chance in Hell in the general election.  It wouldn't matter who the Democrats nominate.  Sanders would destroy them.

Cruz and Paul are turds too, but they actually has to be taken seriously because of their fundraising and/or national brand recognition.  They are bad choices for the nomination, and I think both would lose to Sanders too.

If I was the GoP Czar and in charge of these debates, I would have it be between Christie, Bush, Walker, Paul, Rubio, Cruz, Kasich, and Graham.  I would try and moderate the debate to be as serious and legitimate as possible.  That's the re-brand the GoP needs for this election.  Not a distracting fiasco that makes the party seem as incompetent as they did in '08 and '12.

Perry's only appealing qualities as a candidate are that he is good at retail politics and he has rich friends. He is a total air head and lightweight that few people, even inside the party, take seriously at this point.

Then again, that could be your point.

MORE electable doesn't necessarily mean electable. 

By "60%" i mean Trump, Carson, Paul, Christie, Huckabee, and Cruz.  I'm not saying i like or dislike the others, but these 6 are not serious candidates.

MORE electable doesn't necessarily mean electable. 

By "60%" i mean Trump, Carson, Paul, Christie, Huckabee, and Cruz.  I'm not saying i like or dislike the others, but these 6 are not serious candidates.

I agree with you.  Except I think you have to take Christie and Cruz seriously, and probably Paul too.  Paul won't win the nomination, but he can serve the role of the GoP's populist moral compass.  I think Carson has kind of been in that spot so far, but I expect him to get run out of the race pretty soon after he gets any sort of national exposure of what a nonsensical candidate he actually is.

Cruz you have to take seriously because of his fundraising.  He has TONS of money.  That makes him a legitimate contender for the nomination, even if he is utterly unelectable as far as the general goes.

Christie is an interesting case.  He's definitely lost a lot of his shine because of Bridgegate.  That was ugly and exposed him as a bully.  He has serious image issues.  But he would be a substantive choice for the nomination.  He'd have a real chance in the general election, which is more than you can say about most of the other nominees.

I won't vote for Hillary. But I swear to Gibbs that I will NEVER vote for any of the GOP dodos who voted today to defund planned parenthood

Bunch of morons

I realize this may sound insulting, and I really don't intend it to. But, because you disapprove of defunding them? Or because you don't think it's smart politics?

I know this will make you happy, Kilmer. 

Politico:  How Planned Parenthood could shut down the government

Calling next week’s Senate roll call to defund Planned Parenthood a “legislative show vote,” GOP firebrand Ted Cruz said Republicans should do everything they can to eliminate federal money for the group — even if it means a government shutdown fight this fall.

He’s not alone. On Wednesday afternoon, 18 House Republicans told leadership that they “cannot and will not support any funding resolution … that contains any funding for Planned Parenthood.” Meanwhile, GOP social conservatives like Sens. James Lankford of Oklahoma and Jeff Sessions of Alabama said they’d consider supporting an effort to attach a spending rider that would eliminate Planned Parenthood’s $528 million in annual government funding to must-pass spending legislation this fall.

I'm looking for roll call votes on the bill. Looks like senate.gov hasn't posted any of today's votes, yet.  And I've gone through a few articles, and I don;t see anything that says the House has ever voted on it, so I assume the bill originated in the Senate. 

I have seen that supposedly Rubio, and Rand Paul, voted for it. 

I would bet that every person who phones, gets their caller ID logged, and signed up for telemarketing, for donations.

Could well be.  My hope is the number gets so flooded it becomes a de facto denial of service attack.

First Read: A Lousy Poll for Almost Every 2016 Candidate

A rough poll for almost the entire 2016 field

Here's our top takeaway from the new NBC/WSJ poll we released last night: Almost everyone is in lousy shape. Hillary Clinton's fav/unfav numbers dropped from 44%-40% (+4) in June to 37%-48% (-11) now -- which gives her a worse popularity rating than President Obama has ever had during his presidency. Jeb Bush's fav/unfav rating, at 26%-40% (-14) is even worse -- and it's worse than Mitt Romney ever had at any point in the 2012 race. And Donald Trump, who leads the GOP horserace, is at 26%-56% (-30). Ratings for other Republicans: Chris Christie (-13), Ted Cruz (-12), Rand Paul (-10), Mike Huckabee (-8), Scott Walker (-1), and Marco Rubio (+1). Even President Obama, who has enjoyed a renaissance in his poll numbers as of late, has seen his overall job-approval rating tick down three points to 45%. So the American public is down on almost every political figure and institution in our NBC/WSJ poll. The exceptions: Bernie Sanders (+5), John Kasich (+5), the NRA (+11), and Planned Parenthood (+15). We'll have more on those Planned Parenthood and NRA numbers below.

Now you know why Hillary is up with new TV ads in August

As for Clinton, our poll and the crosstabs in it make it clear why she's going up with TV ads in August: She has some work to do. Yet despite Hillary's sinking favorability rating, she continues to lead the Democratic horserace by a wide margin. She's the top choice of 59% of national Democratic primary voters, while 25% pick Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt. They're followed by former Sen. Jim Webb, D-Va., and former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley, who are tied at 3% each. That margin, however, is smaller than her 60-point national advantage over Sanders a month ago, 75%-15%. What's more, Clinton's fav/unfav numbers among Democratic primary voters -- 73% positive, 13% negative -- remains strong.

Jeb's in rougher shape than the CW suggests

The timing of our NBC/WSJ poll (conducted July 26-30) can possibly explain why Clinton's numbers dropped so much in one month -- it came right after the New York Times and other outlets (including NBC News) originally reported that she was facing the possibility of a criminal inquiry over her use of email while secretary of state. That particular storyline turned out to be incorrect. But the timing doesn't explain why Jeb's standing took a hit. In one month, he went from first to third in the GOP horserace; his fav/unfav ticked down from 27%-36% (-9) to 26%-40% (-14); his fav/unfav among GOP primary voters declined, too, from 53%-15% (+38) to 50%-23% (+27); and the drop was even sharper among those very conservative - from 61%-13% (+48) in June to 46%-29% (+17) now. Folks, these aren't just tough numbers for Jeb; they're hard-to-get-the-nomination numbers.

Rubio's upside

Here's a final point on the 2016 race when it comes to our NBC/WSJ poll: Marco Rubio still has TONS of potential. Despite being in 8th place in our GOP horserace at 5% among GOP primary voters, 62% of these Republicans say they can see themselves supporting Rubio, versus 29% who can't (+33). That's a higher margin than any of the other 2016 Republicans on this scale: Walker (+30), Carson (+22), Bush (+17), Cruz (+14), Huckabee (+9), and Fiorina (+2). Where is Donald Trump? He's at minus-2 on this scale, though that's better than Christie (-18) and Lindsey Graham (-53).

More from the link.

Also, here is what the debate stage will look like.

CLkdJPZWoAAJkb4.png

I won't vote for Hillary. But I swear to Gibbs that I will NEVER vote for any of the GOP dodos who voted today to defund planned parenthood

Bunch of morons

Who planned to defund Planned Parenthood?

(917) 756-8000.  I wonder if Donald answers.

Have you called that number?   It charges you an enourmous amount of money, of which, a portion goes to the Trump Campaign Super Pak..

LOL......   Just kidding, that's not true but it would be pretty funny if it was.

Archived