Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Browns Shopping Wr Josh Gordon, Reported By Schefter

Jermizzle

Rufus I don't think it would be enough for them. Not the other way at all. Haden is legit

I assume you're referring to when I said Cousins for Gordon and Haden. I was half-joking, though there was a bit of logic behind it. 

First off, there is no way of knowing if Cleveland does or would value Cousins enough to deal for him, and people guessing at it is just that guessing. The best we can do is estimate the value of players and play it hypothetically as if Cleveland would trade for him. If they did they would obviously have to pay the market value of Kirk.

So, if Cousins is someone who potentially is a top 20 QB and Haden a top 5 CB, then Cousins is more valuable. That's just the nature of the game right now. Now, Cousins is obviously less established and more of a question mark, while Haden costs a good deal more on the cap and is a year closer to FA. So, there is at least an argument that Cousins is worth more to a team that wanted.

Perhaps more importantly, there is the question of getting him from the Skins in midseason. There is obviously value to the Skins keeping him for the rest of the year as Grif insurance. Plus, the potential of dealing him in the offseason for perhaps a 1st, and then using that 1 plus the cap that Haden would cost contains the real possibility of doing more for improving the DBackfield than Haden would. So, there is a logic that if Cleveland wants Cousins now (for experience, to establish leadership and learn the offense in Cleveland as well as to have the rest of the season to evaluate and make sure he is the guy before next year's draft) they would have to overpay a little.

From Cleveland's side, they are very young and very good on the OLine, front 7 and TE. If they could get the QB they want without giving up any of their draft picks, plus creating more cap room? That would have to pique their interest.

As for Gordon, I made him the throw-in because the thread is about him and there is some sense in him reuniting with RG3. And frankly, I don't value him much. Guys with that kind of baggage shouldn't be acquired except cheaply, if at all.

I was joking in the sense that we have no idea if Cleveland would want Cousins, or how much; trades like this are just extreme longshots in any circumstance; and that, even with the above, we'd probably have to throw in at least a little something more to get it done. But I do think there is some actual reasonable argument behind it.

As for your trade- Cousins, Orakpo, Davis and a 3rd- let's ignore that those aren't players at positions of need for Cleveland, and the fact that there is no sense to them dealing for FAs to be. The whole idea is kind of my argument above turned completely on it's head. If they thought so little of Cousins that they would require Orakpo PLUS Davis PLUS a 3rd to make that deal for Kirk, then they obviously don't value him much in the first place, and there's no point in discussing it. Teams don't make blockbuster deals for QBs they don't like.

Haha rak and Davis are both FA got to remember that

I'm pretty sure Hank will be back next year and we will want to extend Rak but the money he wants might be an issue - I think that will get done as well though. Davis is in the process of being replaced by Reed and I don't think will be back.

Cool, now please explain how Gordon is '10x better' than Hankerson.

He's definitley better.  Gordon's more naturally gifted.  Watch the highlights of his TDs, he makes it look effortless ala Randy Moss.  The dude glides down the field.  He's big, fast, long arms and big hands.  I remember when the Skins played the Browns last year Gordon caught a slant and got drilled by Alexander.  Gordon jumped up and Alexander stayed on the ground.  So he can work the middle and the outside.  If he can get his head on straight he has the ability to be a top 5 WR in this league. 

Hankerson can be a solid WR in this league, but I don't see him as a pro-bowl level guy. 

Hank is not a middle of the field guy, we all know this. That is the weakness in his game. I am not sure that is going to change, no matter how much bigger and stronger he gets.

Same with Aldrick, but coaches still make him try the slant. Including in the first quarter last game, an incomplete on 3rd down.

What is up with Morgan? I would swear he was faster last year with the pin in. Maybe he is sore from having it removed.

Until those 3 show improvement, the need for another WR looms large.  Hank has improved but mostly by not dropping easy passes. Almost mandatory improvement to retain his job. I know WR's take time, but if we can get one that does not need time to develop, that will aid Mike's 5 year plan. 

Santana "Spin Move" Moss is still doing damage in the short game, filling the hole that the above 3 cannot.

That would be a STEAL for the browns if they got rid of a cancer like Gordon and got Orakpo in return. 

Well... two scenarios pan out with Orakpo in my opinion -

1)  He balls out and we break the bank for him

2)  He doesn't ball out and he still wants us to break the bank for him

If he goes, remember, we aren't likely to get a compensatory pick since we will be signing some high priced guys in FA due to the amount of cap space we will have.

Best to get something for him now, wouldn't you say?

Cool, now please explain how Gordon is '10x better' than Hankerson.

Watch him play and look at the #'s.  Simple as that. 

As a matter of fact, what do you think Hankerson's trade value would be right now if he was on the market?  Since Gordon is a "little better," Hank's return would be similar, no? 

Interesting rebuild; there getting rid of their young stud players??????

Michael Lombardi openly criticized the Browns draft last year (namely Richardson, Wheeden, and Gordon)... so you can see where he is going with this now that he is the new GM there.

Watch him play and look at the #'s.  Simple as that. 

As a matter of fact, what do you think Hankerson's trade value would be right now if he was on the market?  Since Gordon is a "little better," Hank's return would be similar, no? 

You feel that way about Gordon, but the Browns don't.

Teams don't get rid of guys the believe in; period....

He won't be a Redskin. We have one of those type players; two counting Morgan.

Michael Lombardi openly criticized the Browns draft last year (namely Richardson, Wheeden, and Gordon)... so you can see where he is going with this now that he is the new GM there.

I think Lombardi is in over his head personally. I tend to agree with him on the 3 picks though (I think Richardson is a very good back but not a guy you trade up for to take in the top 3 and I think Gordon is a very good player but one who will constantly screw up off the field). As for using a 1st round pick on a 28 year old rookie QB ......

I think Lombardi is in over his head personally. I tend to agree with him on the 3 picks though (I think Richardson is a very good back but not a guy you trade up for to take in the top 3 and I think Gordon is a very good player but one who will constantly screw up off the field). As for using a 1st round pick on a 28 year old rookie QB ......

Totally agree.  I doubt they get anything for Weeden, but getting a 1st for Richardson was big time.  I wouldn't expect an even return for Gordon either (3rd or better) because of the off the field issues.

My brother wanted us to draft Blackmon with the 6th pick and then Weeden in the second... I told him they both reminded me of Chris Weinke and Peter Warrick, almost to a tee, lol. 

Totally agree.  I doubt they get anything for Weeden, but getting a 1st for Richardson was big time.  I wouldn't expect an even return for Gordon either (3rd or better) because of the off the field issues.

My brother wanted us to draft Blackmon with the 6th pick and then Weeden in the second... I told him they both reminded me of Chris Weinke and Peter Warrick, almost to a tee, lol. 

I don't think getting Indianapolis's first is a great deal for Cleveland.  The Browns have already paid him about 70% ($14M) of his money due under his four year contract.  The Colts get a key player who was the sixth pick overall for the price of his base salary (with three years left on his contract) and a late round #1 (and a #3?).  That's a real good deal for the Colts.

I don't think getting Indianapolis's first is a great deal for Cleveland.  The Browns have already paid him about 70% ($14M) of his money due under his four year contract.  The Colts get a key player who was the sixth pick overall for the price of his base salary (with three years left on his contract) and a late round #1 (and a #3?).  That's a real good deal for the Colts.

If you've soured on a guy as a franchise and you get an even return on him, you've done well.

Obviously the Browns didn't get the #3 overall pick, but they've got a first rounder.

Our WR corps are one of the stronger units on the team.  Pass.

A what?

We have one (1) receiver on this team that is of starting caliber. Pierre Garcon is the ONLY receiving playmaker we have on the team at the moment. It should be a wake-up call to all that Jordan Reed has been our 2nd most consistent and effective receiver thus far.

Morgan has clearly been ineffective getting separation; Robinson has been missing opportunities all season (and not just the big-play drop, but getting outmuscled by corners); Moss makes every 1st down conversion look like an impressive feat now; Hankerson has been a pretty solid third option.

Garcon is the only receiver we have that can threaten to break 100 yards any given game.

What people aren't recognizing is that wide receiver has swiftly become the league's second most prized commodity in the game.

A pass rush is nullified if you can get the ball out of your hands and into the hands of a playmaker in 1.5 seconds. With spread and creative packages, passing offenses are evolving rapidly -- passing offenses will never be less dynamic than they are now. Look at what Peyton can do with his receiving corps -- you need several playmakers who complement each other, 4 legit options on every given play. If you can't threaten to put up 40 every game, you're not going to compete for a Superbowl. You need a bevy of wide receivers to do that.

I will admit I've only seen highlights and a game or two of Josh Gordon, without watching all too closely, so I can't say one way or another if he's worth X or Y amount in a trade. BUT: we desperately need to revamp our receivers going forward. Moss and Morgan won't be back next year. We can only so much longer count on Hankerson or Robinson to 'prove their potential.' Fred Davis likely won't be back next year as well.

We need more receivers with deep speed: Gordon has that. Trading for him would be a win-now AND a win-later move. It's aggressive and bold. Ryan Grigson won GM of the Year last year for doing just that, 'counter-intuitively' trading picks for players. Ultimately, draft picks are potential players, and Gordon is a proven NFL talent still on his rookie deal. He's a player we should absolutely be looking into at the very least, regardless of his connection with RGIII

Wow how stupid is Cleveland. Why would you trade away a 22 year old star player? I understand T Rich because RB is a luxury and not a priority, but if you're drafting a QB next offseason don't you want him to have a #1 WR?? Cleveland is so bad that they are sabotaging players who aren't even on their team yet.

Great Post SkinsTD

Looking around my fantasy league, everyone needs WRs. Myself included. Its probably not a coincidence. Look at the powerhouses and their WR corps and you will see more often than not, the top teams have top WRs. I know all remember our Bowl receivers.

We are so wrapped up in safety talk, we seem to lose sight of the fact a strong offense can make a vacancy at safety minimized.

We hear that we need to run Morris from so many, but Morris does not have to be the opening salvo every week, he can be the dagger as well. For all of his 1700 yards, how many blowouts did it lead to last year..... 1? 0? We were in close games and had to pass to win folks, while running Morris to your full content.

Our team needs more balance and it starts with being respected as a passing team, and not needing play action to fool defenses to buy our WRs time to get open. We should be an offense that can pass the ball. I question the making up of a team, that cannot do that. We have Trent Garcon and RG3. That is a solid base to build on.

Lets accumulate guys that can get open and make a catch, all by themselves. We never seem to have a stud WR group. We have sucked for some time now. Lets try, for once.

The Browns seem ripe for the looting, lets give it a try. With his history, he will fit right in on this team.

Yea, seems that way.....I understand the criticism of Wheeden, but Gordon & Richardson could be stars, and have proven the ability to be big performers on the NFL level! I think Lombardi may not be to bright himself. I would like to see him get 2 better players than either JG, or DR with what he's getting back for them?

I bet you the Lions get him.  They already said they're looking to trade for a receiver with their #2 receiver Nate Burleson breaking his arm yesterday.

For the redskins, most i'd trade for Gordon is a 3rd rounder or maybe a 3rd + 6/7th rounder

this...

i'd feel ok giving them a 3rd for Gordon unless we feel we can get a better 2nd option in the draft (i don't think see looking at the players coming out), but if we could give them...i dunno...a 2nd + KC & Josh Morgan.........maybe we could get Haden..

please...GO AFTER HADEN NOW!!!

:: facepalm ::

Archived