Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Browns Shopping Wr Josh Gordon, Reported By Schefter

Jermizzle

We hear that we need to run Morris from so many, but Morris does not have to be the opening salvo every week, he can be the dagger as well. For all of his 1700 yards, how many blowouts did it lead to last year..... 1? 0? We were in close games and had to pass to win folks, while running Morris to your full content.

This couldn't be further from the truth.  We relied on Morris down the stretch - without Morris, we don't make the playoffs.  The skins were actually up big in quite a few games and just ran Morris down their throats all game long.  The threat of Morris and RG3 is what opened up the passing game.  The only reason a handful of those games looked close is because of trash TD's at the end of the game by opposing teams.

This couldn't be further from the truth.  We relied on Morris down the stretch - without Morris, we don't make the playoffs.  The skins were actually up big in quite a few games and just ran Morris down their throats all game long.  The threat of Morris and RG3 is what opened up the passing game.  The only reason a handful of those games looked close is because of trash TD's at the end of the game by opposing teams.

That couldn't be farther from the truth.  :)

Without our defense making a huge commitment to suddenly pressure QBs, we don't make the playoffs.

Our offense was the same all year.  We relied HEAVILY on Morris ALL year, not just later in the year. I think we can credit a lot of RG3s great passing stats to Morris. Play action kills. Its the foundation of our offense.

Don't you like to win comfortably, more than once a year though; have it be a goal of coaches to try to not cut it so close? Like Indy, NE, etc? We had one blowout last year. The scores don't lie. Trash scores are scores.

You are saying that we cannot or should not pass first. That is fine, its in most fans DNA from the Hogs era.  Kyle has been saying the same thing for years.  Only, Kyle has been scrapping his game plans because our D gave up a TD, and then we fumbled. Got behind 2 scores. All that practice time, wasted on things not used.

Hey, Kyle is the one that shifted gears against Detroit and started passing. Not me. I am just supporting his vision of adjusting to teams overloading on the run. A vision to create an attack that can also pressure teams via the pass, without making Mo sweat first.

He carries a ton of pressure. He fumbles once, the game plan is blown. We dont need to be so dependent on one person. It is a team game.

That couldn't be farther from the truth.  :)

Without our defense making a huge commitment to suddenly pressure QBs, we don't make the playoffs.

Our offense was the same all year.  We relied HEAVILY on Morris ALL year, not just later in the year. I think we can credit a lot of RG3s great passing stats to Morris. Play action kills. Its the foundation of our offense.

Don't you like to win comfortably, more than once a year though; have it be a goal of coaches to try to not cut it so close? Like Indy, NE, etc? We had one blowout last year. The scores don't lie. Trash scores are scores.

You are saying that we cannot or should not pass first. That is fine, its in most fans DNA from the Hogs era.  Kyle has been saying the same thing for years.  Only, Kyle has been scrapping his game plans because our D gave up a TD, and then we fumbled. Got behind 2 scores. All that practice time, wasted on things not used.

Hey, Kyle is the one that shifted gears against Detroit and started passing. Not me. I am just supporting his vision of adjusting to teams overloading on the run. A vision to create an attack that can also pressure teams via the pass, without making Mo sweat first.

He carries a ton of pressure. He fumbles once, the game plan is blown. We dont need to be so dependent on one person. It is a team game.

I guess we have a different definition of blowout - agree to disagree on that

I'm all for passing, don't get me wrong - but we don't need to rely on it.  I think some teams can because they are built that way from their line to their receivers.  Not all teams are built for that type of offense.  Some, like the Skins, are built differently.  How far do teams with great WR's end up getting?  The only Superbowl teams that had great WR's across the board that I can think of were the Cards with Boldin and Fitz.  Smith and Boldin were solid but not overpowering.  It's not always receivers that make the offense, it's the QB.  How many bad WR groups have Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, Brees look all-pro?

I guess we have a different definition of blowout - agree to disagree on that

I'm all for passing, don't get me wrong - but we don't need to rely on it.  I think some teams can because they are built that way from their line to their receivers.  Not all teams are built for that type of offense.  Some, like the Skins, are built differently.  How far do teams with great WR's end up getting?  The only Superbowl teams that had great WR's across the board that I can think of were the Cards with Boldin and Fitz.  Smith and Boldin were solid but not overpowering.  It's not always receivers that make the offense, it's the QB.  How many bad WR groups have Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, Brees look all-pro?

Agreed, a coach must best use their assets. Not all picks pan out, and being a head coach GM is not easy.

We are built to run, heck, every OL we draft it seems optional if he can pass block. Its all about running. But teams adjust to Kyle, and he must adjust back.

The problem I see in trying to go pass happy (losing big, new game plan), is that we don't use mobility among our linemen and QB into the passing game. The walls (our OL) come crumbling down.

I think those QBs you named dominating with no name receivers, are doing so via hurry up. Aggressive coaches not taking the patient approach to slowly working the run to get play action to work. Working mismatches aggressively more than, spreading the ball around as a priority; a Kyle ™. Throwing to a Welker 15 times, Kyle would never do that.

Being aggressive need not only be reserved for defenses.

Good points, and fine debating!

Archived