Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skip Baseless Gets Some Air Time On Espn.com

Dub70s

The funniest part of his 2 cent piece:

"I'm told by a Redskins insider -- a trusted source -- that you, Mike,
initially weren't all that wild about trading up from No. 6 overall to
No. 2 to draft RG3. After Peyton Manning had no interest in your team, you were content to stay at 6 and take Ryan Tannehill. You won two Super Bowls with John Elway and you traded up to draft Jay Cutler -- Tannehill more fit that mold of a big, athletic pocket passer who pretty much ran only when every receiver was covered.

You've said RG3 was your idea from the start."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9693891/skip-bayless-rgiii-shanahan

Skippy had some time to craft a good ol' RG3 story that he is sooooo tired of hearing about. I guess all of the scouting of RG3 was just a front for the rest of the league.

Let me summarize for everyone who doesn't want to click on the link:

Shanahan never wanted RG3 - if he did, he wouldn't have drafted Cousins.  Apparently, Shanahan drafted Cousins because he thought Cousins was a steal in the fourth round.  Bad Shanahan.

RG3 should run plays he's not comfortable with running.  He's not Superman, but he could be if he listens to Skip Bayless.  So says Skip Bayless.  And before you even think about debating SB about this, you should know that he really does know a lot, if not everything, about football.  And, presumably, everything else.

If you like RG3, you're wrong.

If you don't like RG3, you're wrong.

Skip has spoken.  Game over.

Try not to overreact? We live in the time of social media and the "what have you done for me lately" mentality of sport medias that this is getting a little out of hand.

If Shanny, Allen, and Snyder really wanted and believed in Tannehill, they would have Gone with their gut and selected him, period. It makes no sense to mortgage the team's future to trade up and get a player just to please the fan base.

No doubt griffin brought the media backlash to himself, so he better stand up straight and take the bullets, which he is right now. But his poor performance so far was excusable. He was hurt and required surgery for a major knee injury. He's learning to play in a traditional style of offense that is a little foreign foreign to him. He is NOT the only reason why this team was completely manhandled the last two games.

Give it some time so he can get his confidence back?

We all know the moment he plays well and this team win games, everyone will be riding our wagon as the favorite to win the dreaded NFC East.

Skip Bayless does these type of things on purpose.  I actually like the guy because he's good at his job and that's to rile up fanbases and piss people off.  He's so far off the reservation with most of his predictions that he's basically begging you to realize he's trolling yet people still fall for it.  It's pretty funny actually.

We have to understand that the media (namely Dallas Cowboys loving ESPN) loves RG3 but hates the Skins. This is not as big a story as those clowns are wanting everybody to believe. Players get injured. Nobody is blaming the coaching staff for Meriweather's constant injuries and if Shanny did not want RG3 he would have the perfect excuse to bench him right now or even to start the season.

Skip Bayless has always been so so in my book… But I think he hit the nail on the head with this article...

I love what he said here:
“When your receiver Pierre Garcon suggested this week you're slowed by your brace, you responded by challenging him to a race. I respond by challenging you to run the read-option down Detroit's throat.”

To me, OUR season begins and ends with this Sunday’s game… ALL 3 phases of the game need to step up big time… And yes he has to run… RUN RUN RUN Robert!!! PLEASE!!!

I definitely would not have minded drafting Tannehill ONLY because we would have been able to see LOTS more of his HOTT wife LAUREN TANNEHILL!!!

BUT who I am to say anything about drafting people, in 2011, I was so disappointed that we drafted Kerrigan, I had wanted Blaine Gabbert!!! What was wrong with me?!!!

This would have been nice to see in the Burgundy and Gold every now and then...

It's Stephen Smith his sparing partner on First Take who sings the song on Tannehill, he says his sources tell him this.  I watch the show, if ESPN reported its Bayless then they got it backwards.  Bayless hasn't disagreed with Smith -- but its Smith who says his sources tell him so.

Bayless for his faults, its probably the most pro RG III national talking head on the planet -- routinely talks him up as better than Luck, for example.  Bayless also touts the Redskins big time, likely because of RG III.  He can be crazy but his crazy is on our side.  I recall looking at colt message boards when RG III won rookie of the year, and multiple snarky comments were directed at how Bayless must be happy now, etc.

That article is unreadable.  We all know Skip Bayless is a hack.  Though I haven't been paying attention to him for a while and am surprised at big his ego has gotten.  Apparently his performances on First Take have gotten to him.  What happened to the legitimate journalist from the DMN in the late 70's and 80's that helped break the story on SMU?  I wonder what he thinks when he goes home at night and looks at himself in the mirror?  To me, he's a cautionary tale.

To sum up his article: he knows nothing and wants to make this a story about him.  Don't read the article or comments, its a haven for know nothing trolls, and the sheer presumptuousness of it will piss you off and your anger is what he thrives on.

This was my bad guys.

I called Skip in a moment of weakness after the Rob Jackson suspension.

I asked him if he could do a spot on the NFL and suspensions of players after taking pain killers for dental surgery when it was already in to be approved by the NFL...

He said, "DC, you know how this works... I scratch your back, you tease my hair piece.  I want something deep."

I said, "Hey, Skip... I've got something deep," and I kind of shot from the hip from there.

I never thought he'd actually use it, but here it is, hook, line, and sinker.  That all said, I don't recall seeing anything about Rob Jackson's suspension OR the unfair ways that the NFL goes about selecting the guys who supply urine samples.

Bad form, Skip... bad form indeed.

Bayless also made racial allegations about Coach Shanahan after Kirk was drafted.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

he said that drafting a white quarterback the same year as they drafted a black qb in the first could cause even more tensions than normal because of the racial dynamic.  with that statement he kind of predicted the current scenario we are in.  i think you were way off base with your summation of it, btw.

he said that drafting a white quarterback the same year as they drafted a black qb in the first could cause even more tensions than normal because of the racial dynamic. with that statement he kind of predicted the current scenario we are in. i think you were way off base with your summation of it, btw.

When has race been a factor in here? Never.

I said this in another thread:

"I don't believe Bayless when he says Shanahan wanted to stay at 6 and take Tannehill. Isn't Mike the player personnel director? Is he not the one that shops for groceries? Is he not the one that asked Snyder to step aside and give him full control? Bruce Allen doesn't do the drafting and neither does Snyder. Who is this "person" that overrode Shanahan's decision making? I call BS. No way was Mike outvoted for the most important decision this franchise has had in 20 years. He would have resigned. BS Bayless. Go gather some website hits elsewhere."

I actually agree with Bayless. I do not believe for one second that Shanahan wanted RGIII. Just think about it. Who have ever drafted a QB with the number 2 pick snd then drafts a "backup" in the 3rd rd? I think Kyle, Dan and maybe Allen wanted RGIII and Mike was overruled. But to compromise, Mike was allowed to draft a more conventional QB in the 3rd.

I said this in another thread:

"I don't believe Bayless when he says Shanahan wanted to stay at 6 and take Tannehill. Isn't Mike the player personnel director? Is he not the one that shops for groceries? Is he not the one that asked Snyder to step aside and give him full control? Bruce Allen doesn't do the drafting and neither does Snyder. Who is this "person" that overrode Shanahan's decision making? I call BS. No way was Mike outvoted for the most important decision this franchise has had in 20 years. He would have resigned. BS Bayless. Go gather some website hits elsewhere."

Exactly.

Shanny is supposed to be this big bad ass with an ego, right? If he wanted Tannehill, he would have gotten Tannehill and told Snyder to **** off

It is amazing what a couple of bad losses will do.....allows the Mediots to run wild with stupid half baked stories like this, and gets fans to doubt the team, the players, and the FO/HC.  So what if the article is true and INITIALLY Mike was against trading up?  Maybe after talking it over with other coaches, Allen, and Snyder, he became convinced that RGIII > Tannehill.  Maybe he was concerned that other teams would trade up, and by the time the 6th pick came around neither Luck, RGIII nor Tannehill would be there.  Maybe it is all BS to begin with.  At this point, who cares???? 

And, as for Cousins, many Skin fans were perplexed by this choice, including me.  But, after seeing Cousins come in and basically win 2 important games for us last season, I saw the wisdom in that pick.  That said, there is no way that I would want to see Cousins start over a 100% RGIII.......just no comparison there in atheletic talent. 

Don't even know why the hell I bothered to read Bayless....or others of his ilk....that only aggrevate me by spinning stories based around rumor and innuendo.

Archived