Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sorry Folks, Here Is The Kiss Of Death (27 Predictions)

kleese

Yeah, yeah, this probably should go in the other forum, but I've posted it here annually for a dozen years or so now, so why quit now....I enjoy making the mods work :)

It is kind of long, so I will post the link. All I can say is....sorry.

http://edkleese.blogspot.com/2013/09/2013-nfl-predictions.html

AFC East

New England Patriots 11-5
Miami Dolphins 8-8
Buffalo Bills 7-9
New York Jets 4-12

AFC North

Cincinnati Bengals 10-6
Baltimore Ravens 8-8
Pittsburgh Steelers 8-8
Cleveland Browns 8-8

AFC South

Houston Texans 10-6
Indianapolis Colts 9-7
Tennessee Titans 5-11
Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12

AFC West

Denver Broncos 11-5
Kansas City Chiefs 9-7
San Diego Chargers 5-11
Oakland Raiders 3-13

Bengals over Chiefs
Colts over Texans

Broncos over Colts
Bengals over Patriots

Broncos over Bengals 

I think Green Bay is the most over valued team in the NFL. I mean this with all sincerity.... Take Aaron Rodgers away and replace him with the league average at QB (say Matt Schaub) and I'd pick the Pack to go 4-12 or 5-11. There are precious few players I'd want on that team. Rodgers is the best QB in football and he holds them together... And he will win them games again this year. But their other decencies will show up and hurt them this year.

Detroit was a 10 win team two years ago and then had sort of an inexplicable crash last year. But they have talent. Stafford/CJ is deadly and I think Reggie Bush will have a monster year. They are very good up front defensively.

I am not high on Minnesota. AD was a one man show in 2012 and I'm not sure he can do that again. Not a Ponder fan and not a Greg Jennings fan. Defense is ok.

Bears are a mystery team to me. I picked them to win the SB last year and was obviously way off. This year I'm not sure what to think.

I think it is an average division-- highly overrated.

ehhh 49er's are good but what happens if Take Em Back Kaep goes down with an injury. He's still a little unproven even when healthy in my opinion. Skins to the NFC east Championship! I like that. If RG3 comes out looking like a beast and we take Green Bay down in week 2. The press will be blasting off at the mouth all around that the skins are real deal. Green Bay is a huge!! beginning to what the skins want to accomplish this season

I think Green Bay is the most over valued team in the NFL. I mean this with all sincerity.... Take Aaron Rodgers away and replace him with the league average at QB (say Matt Schaub) and I'd pick the Pack to go 4-12 or 5-11. There are precious few players I'd want on that team. Rodgers is the best QB in football and he holds them together... And he will win them games again this year. But their other decencies will show up and hurt them this year.

Detroit was a 10 win team two years ago and then had sort of an inexplicable crash last year. But they have talent. Stafford/CJ is deadly and I think Reggie Bush will have a monster year. They are very good up front defensively.

I am not high on Minnesota. AD was a one man show in 2012 and I'm not sure he can do that again. Not a Ponder fan and not a Greg Jennings fan. Defense is ok.

Bears are a mystery team to me. I picked them to win the SB last year and was obviously way off. This year I'm not sure what to think.

I think it is an average division-- highly overrated.

Firstly, your blog post is excellent.  While I don't agree with everything (who agrees on everything anyways?), I do enjoy the thoughtful breakdown of the entire league.  Good stuff!  I'll post my blog comment on your blog where it belongs.  As far as your post...

• I do agree that Aaron Rodgers hides a good number of Green Bay weaknesses - our running game should give them fits.  But the Packers are better overall than this.  Hell, Chicago can't get past em & I thought they were pretty damn good going into last year too.  These guys have proven that they're the best team in the NFC North, so that counts for something.
  •  
  • I flat out disagree on the Detroit thing; I think Jim Schwartz(Lions Head Man) might get fired this year.  Yes the pieces are there and it's his job to make them fit.  To me, last year was telling in that they didn't Win when they were expected to.  It's much easier to sneak up on teams than it is to beat them while taking their best shot.  The step back they took last year was telling.  And Reggie Bush is overrated AND a draft bust!!!! (I will go to my grave shouting that one from the mountaintop)
  •  
  • Yeah, Minnesota may do this year what Detroit did last year - wouldn't surprise me at all.  I honestly don't know how good they are.
  •  
  • Chicago confounds me too.  My Super Bowl pick before last year was Baltimore meets Chicago and the outcome was a toss up.  Hell, I was MUCH more bullish on the Bears and then I dunno what the hell happened up there.  I'm not sure it should've cost Lovie his job, but then again, I follow The Skins.  So whatever.  But I'm curious to see if they will contend.  Reasonably, they should, but I figure they'll miss Urlacher a lot more than they expected.

In my opinion, the NFC North is a quality Division.  I define a quality division by one that has one genuine contender with competitive rivals, and no more than 1 doormat.  The case can be made that the Black-&-Blue fits the bill.  

(NFC East is still better, of course)

If you ask me today if I would take this I would say yes.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't be upset after the NFC Championship game, but I can see this happening.  Not bad Ed, as always you offer up some pretty thought provoking predictions (but level headed).

I would see this as a big year for us if this happened.  I have next year as the first "you better be ready to win a ring" year since 1991.  It could happen this year, but I think the next four are where this franchises bread will be buttered.

Who has the Raiders number one pick?  What WR will the Raiders take if they do have that pick?

I don't envy Reggie Mackenzie, but he is literally doing the best he can with what he has, lol.

Nice work.  Thanks for the analysis EK.  In general this prediction, barring major injuries to key players, is quite plausible.

KC at 9-7 is intriguing.  Last year, so many close games, I can definitely see them improving to 9-7; getting over the hump.

I agree with you on the Ravens... maybe even worse than 8-8.

Minny is a team I also agree will finish at the bottom.  Ponder at QB gives me no confidence.

However, New Orleans finished last season strong.  I see them better than your prediction of 8-8

I also agree with the slight decline of Seattle.  Wilson at QB is my boom-to-bust pick this year.  He looked pretty bad in the two pre-season games I watched.  Batted balls at the line, interceptions, poor decisions. He has to roll-out to make a throw.  Which isn't a bad thing but I think it becomes more predictable for defensive schemes.

I like a lot of your thoughts in this, reasonable but thought provoking.  I agree about the Packers though I could just as easily see the Lions getting Schwatrz fired as I can see them getting it together.  Similar with the Bears.  The only one I disagree on completely is the Cheifs.  I don't see it.  The only time in his career he's been anything other than awful was when Alex Smith had Harbaugh protecting the hell out of him with heavy running, play action and safe throws.  We all know Reid is going to ignore handing the ball to Charles and pass it 70% of the time.  I see Smith being exposed and I don't see things going well in KC at all.

I like a lot of your thoughts in this, reasonable but thought provoking.  I agree about the Packers though I could just as easily see the Lions getting Schwatrz fired as I can see them getting it together.  Similar with the Bears.  The only one I disagree on completely is the Cheifs.  I don't see it.  The only time in his career he's been anything other than awful was when Alex Smith had Harbaugh protecting the hell out of him with heavy running, play action and safe throws.  We all know Reid is going to ignore handing the ball to Charles and pass it 70% of the time.  I see Smith being exposed and I don't see things going well in KC at all.

Interesting.  Sounds like a really good call on Kansas City.....although, that division isn't too tough.  I can see it either way, since Oakland looks to be in shambles & San Diego behaves like a program in decline. From here it looks like a team with a pulse and a little fight can smack people around (underneath Denver, of course).  Whaddya think DCsportsfan53?

22. Carolina will make big strides and sneak into the playoffs as a wild card. Cam Newton may or may not be the guy you want in the big game, but he will have a monster season statistically. 

You don't reflect that in your prediction of the season standings at the beginning of your article. You have the Seahawks at 10-6 and the Giants at 9-7 being the Wild Cards.

22. Carolina will make big strides and sneak into the playoffs as a wild card. Cam Newton may or may not be the guy you want in the big game, but he will have a monster season statistically. 

You don't reflect that in your prediction of the season standings at the beginning of your article. You have the Seahawks at 10-6 and the Giants at 9-7 being the Wild Card

Details, details. Minor details... :)

Geeze, I should work for espn.com

I can't imagine Bmore going 8-8 or the Lions winning the north. Good to see some original thought though. I guess the Detroit pick is fine since somebody needs to go worst to first (although my pick is Kansas City). This is genuinely better than anything I've read on espn in awhile. You actually said exactly what I've been saying about Philly which somehow every "expert" has glossed over (their defense is BAD) because I guess they want to hype their games.

I like the ideas.  It's no fun picking all the teams that won last year, and I like men who can step up and think outside the box...within reason. :)

I can't ride with you on the Panthers.  They are a mess.  Steve Smith is getting old, Stewart is toast, and they just don't have enough talent to compete in that division.  Cam might have an amazing year, and they could still lose 12 games.  However, Kuechly might be the best ILB in the league.  I think he's that good.

Still think the Bills with EJ are going to be 7-9 and the Raiders with Pryor are going to be 3-13? I don't. These two men are both worth more then 3 wins a piece but neither are worth 7. Jets are a worse team then the Raiders, Sanchez is almost out, Ivory is going to be injured, who is catching the ball there? They are the worst team in the NFL in my eyes. Agree with your prediction about Rex, he's long go after week 8 when they are officially out of the playoffs. 

You have no teams in the AFC North division as a losing team. The last time that happened idk, but can't see that happening. Weeden looked great in preseason but don't see them finishing 8-8. Bronco's schedule is so weak there is no way that they are going to lose 5 games this season. They actually have a chance to go undefeated in the regular season. The division is horrible, and the toughest games they play are against Baltimore week 1, Redskins week 8, Patriots week 12, Texans week 16. Even if they lost all of those games they would be 12-4 and I doubt that happens. I see them at 15-1 or 14-2 this year. Broncos won't make the super bowl either. Peyton Manning as much as we all love him has a pretty horrendous post season record.  9-11 with 6 of those wins coming in his Superbowl seasons. I see them choking again. I like Cincinnati to represent the AFC this season. 

You have an affinity with the NFC North division to match your AFC North predictions. I can see your surprise Lions pick becoming reality, if Stafford can stay healthy. Big IF though, do not see it with the Panthers this year. They have lost Jonathan Stewart and have no WR's outside of the 34 year old Steve Smith and Greg Olsen in the passing game. Pretty confident the Saints are #2 in that division when the dust settles there. 

As for the NFC West, not a fan of the 49ers this year as you are. The last team to win the Superbowl after losing it the year before was the 1972 Dolphins. That is a 41 year drought for Superbowl losing teams and as much as I like Colin K I don't think he has that in them.

History is not kind to Superbowl losing teams

Since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, 28 of the 42 Super Bowl losers haven’t won a playoff game the next season. Twelve of those teams missed the postseason and 16 lost their first playoff game.

Seven of the 46 Super Bowl losers returned to the Super Bowl the next season. They went 2-5. The two teams to win it: the 1972 Dolphins and the 1971 Cowboys.

The last team to play in a Super Bowl the season after losing it: The 1993 Bills, who lost back-to-back big games to the Cowboys.

I think Vegas is going to clean up on the 49ers this year. The stats for Superbowl losing QB's is not good the next season either. Stayed away from Colin K this fantasy year and suggested others did as well.

My surprise pick in the West is that I have the Rams one game behind Seattle for the lead with the 49ers coming in third and out of the playoffs. In the end I see the Falcons winning the NFC and hosting the trophy this year when its said and done. 

Great post man, really enjoyed it!

The only "kiss of death" would be if you stopped making these kleese, always solid, thought-provoking threads.

I know it's just the fan in me but somehow, if the Skins make the postseason w/ Robert healthy, I just see them breaking some backs there. His motivational, cheerleader skills are such that I just believe he might will them into the big game.

Archived