Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

The Rockets have now been swept by the Nets. What the hell happened in Houston?

It's been a weird year. There is a clear top two in the NBA, and then there are 14 teams with 12-14 wins. The Rockets and Pelicans have been disappointments. But the West hasn't been nearly as strong as expected and the Rockets are hanging around .500 and are currently the 8 seed. So long as that's the case, Harden can stop messing around with the Kardashians and the Rockets will have a chance to go on a run and get out of Golden State's way.

As for the pack in the second tier, I think Cleveland is going to rip off a massive win streak once Irving gets back and distance themselves as the one seed. I think Indy and Miami will fade a bit over the second half. I think Boston and Orlando will fade before then, but remain in contention for the 8 seed, and I think Detroit has already started to slow down. I think the Wizards will eventually wake up. And I think the Raptors, Hawks, and Bulls will hold course.

Kwame Brown. 

It happens.  These are 19 year old kids.  Not grown men. 

not saying it doesn't, just saying that if it happens to him, he probably shouldn't have been picked #2. Much like Kwame should not have been picked #1

I think he will be fine long term, just view it as a red-shirt year. Nobody will blame him for not doing anything this season

I like Randle too, but he needs a jumpshot.

Edited by StillUnknown

I don't really know what to think of developing players in bad situations. There is a long list of stars that have managed to make a name for themselves in the NBA despite landing in bad situations. Stars seem to shine anywhere, good or bad situations don't stop them from putting up numbers. John Wall averaged 8.3 assists per game with Nick Young, Andrew Blatche, JaVale McGee, and the ghost of Rashard Lewis. Demarcus Cousins is a star despite landing in sadtown. Lebron James is the best player in the world even though he had to develop in a place literally no one wants to visit.

The trouble is we don't know if any players that should have been stars, underachieved because of their early experiences.

I do think it's safe to say raw players are the ones in the most danger of ending up in a bad situations. Especially the ones that will never be more than role players. Some teams can develop solid NBA role players and other seem to be mostly incapable of it.

I believe that if Russell is destined to be great, it will show. If he's not then I'd worry that he's landed in the wrong place to learn how to be a good-enough NBA point guard.

• Like 1

Add on Wilkins, and many others Des.

That's your perspective on what you consider "grown" to be, then. We can't expect them to try to carry themselves like legal adults if we keep calling them kids, imo.

Being 18 does not automatically make you a grown man.

Think about that and get back to me.

19 is grown.

No, 19 is means you are legally an adult in the eyes of the law, can join the military, buy cigarettes, go to strip clubs.  It does not mean one is grown, imo.  

Are there 19 year old people that are extremely mature and were forced to grow up fast?  Absolutely.  But more than others still act a fool well into their early 20s and some even later.  

• Like 1

Being 18 does not automatically make you a grown man.

Think about that and get back to me.

I took your advise and really thought about what you said, Kosher. In all honesty, I feel like we're talking about two completely different things, and am going to attempt to keep this response in the context of this thread and then let it go. Even when I'm not right sometimes, I feel like 9 times out of 10 I'm at least close because my heart's in the right place.

It feels like part of what you're describing (you can correct me on this if you want) is an individual who not only has gained the experience that comes with recognizing the patterns/results of the positive decisions and life choices they have made or seen others make, but also the pain and failure that comes with everyday life and mistakes they will make no matter what.

To have the maturity to corral that into a sense of wisdom that can be shared with others from a standpoint of humility, responsibility, and accountability, you are absolutely right that that does not just "click on" at 18 years old (though that does not mean they should not be listened to). At 18, you're not going to be looked at the same way as the sage, semi-grey beard guy that everyone shuts up and listens to just because you have the right to vote. And right or wrong, that leads into the point I was attempting to make with my original comment:

Expectations.

You can only expect so much basketball IQ/Fundamentals and professional development from someone who's gone to only one year of college, if college at all. And I don't understand why they even call it college basketball anymore when you have a "school" getting a thumbs up for accumulating players that will only be in college for one year. NBA just set a record with more then a third of the first round being Freshmen. The rule for American eligibility looks like at least one year removed from High School graduation. I'd like to see it be two years; a chance for two years of college experience and an associates to have something to build around besides just basketball.

So much of what I just told you I had to learn very quickly between 18 going on 19 and 19 going on 20. That's when I went from living in my car to having two jobs and full time classes while renting a room on oceanfront. To this day, I felt that was necessary to help stay out of trouble and become a stable professional in the career I was going to school for. I would want the expectations set for an 18-19 year old coming into the NBA what they would have to do to stay in the NBA. Part of that is understanding what it takes to compete against other now Professional athletes in their 20s, 30s, and even 40s (many of whom are grown men).

I don't know what to call it yet, but I'm always going to feel a kind of way when I hear an 18-19 year old being called a kid. When you have young adults of the same age group dying in the last couple wars. When you have people of the same age group getting charged as adults. I would say I wouldn't want to have to expect somebody to figure all that out in a city like Philadelphia. That's just asking for it, really.

Yeah, that's not it.

I will use Poker as an example. He has been wise beyond his years since he was around 17.

Many of these guys have not even come close to that level of maturity even at 30.

Think student of the game. Most of these young men have been playing ball from the age of 3.

I learned that some of my friends were terrible people from Tekken 2. That knee smash plus that forward roll where he comes out of it with an upward kick were heavily abused. To the point where my only recourse was spamming King's tackle and suplex moves. I'm not proud of that, but war is hell.

3 fighters from that franchise (Yoshimitsu, Eddy, and Lily). You master their movelists and you seriously cannot be beaten. **** is a damn conspiracy how that little trust fund bimbo could be the source of so much terror, pain and humiliation

• Like 1