Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

If a clear plan starts to form or they move picks to acquire an all-star like Beal, great. Doesn’t seem realistic to keep more than 2/3rds of those picks max. 

They'll end up trading lots of them to get players or to move up in the draft.  They are coming stretched out over years and many of them won't end up having very much value.  They'll be some draft where they want to move up 5 spots and they'll attach a late first round pick that came from somebody else to do it.  It wouldn't be shocking if it starts this year.

They'll start rebuilding this summer with the draft.  They've really got one one more decision to make in terms of what they want to do with SGA.  He'll be a little older than the rest of their core.  Do you keep him or do you trade him for picks before the draft?

(For me that would depend on if you believe in his 3 point shooting this year.  If he's really a 40+% 3 point shooter, you keep him.  If that 3 point shooting was the result of open looks in blow out games, I'd try to trade him.)

6 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

They'll end up trading lots of them to get players or to move up in the draft.  They are coming stretched out over years and many of them won't end up having very much value.  They'll be some draft where they want to move up 5 spots and they'll attach a late first round pick that came from somebody else to do it.  It wouldn't be shocking if it starts this year.

It will be interesting to see the approach they take. 

They could go get a guy like John Collins from Atlanta this off-season to go with a top-5 pick and SGA. That roster is so young right now. 

15 minutes ago, Hersh said:

It will be interesting to see the approach they take. 

They could go get a guy like John Collins from Atlanta this off-season to go with a top-5 pick and SGA. That roster is so young right now. 

I think Bazely will develop into a really, really good piece.  He’s still so young.

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

(For me that would depend on if you believe in his 3 point shooting this year.  If he's really a 40+% 3 point shooter, you keep him.  If that 3 point shooting was the result of open looks in blow out games, I'd try to trade him.)

I'd trade SGA if I got a top two pick.  Suggs and Cunningham are ostensibly the top two players in the class, and would be upgrades over the long term upside of Alexander.

What's interesting to me is if they are willing to move up for either Suggs or Cunningham.  They have the ammo to do it so long as their pick doesn't fall out of the top five.  Let's say I'm Detroit and win the #1 or #2 pick and OKC comes calling offering SGA, #4 or #5, plus some of their other picks.  Do I take that deal?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'd trade SGA if I got a top two pick.  Suggs and Cunningham are ostensibly the top two players in the class, and would be upgrades over the long term upside of Alexander.

What's interesting to me is if they are willing to move up for either Suggs or Cunningham.  They have the ammo to do it so long as their pick doesn't fall out of the top five.  Let's say I'm Detroit and win the #1 or #2 pick and OKC comes calling offering SGA, #4 or #5, plus some of their other picks.  Do I take that deal?

no way the team that wins the lottery passes on Cunningham. But the #2 pick might be in play depending on who wins it. 

Draft lottery will be interesting. OKC could end up with two top-6 picks if Houston falls out of the top-4. Golden State is could end up with multiple high lottery picks. Golden State has a chance to begin building their future with high picks while still being a team that can compete at the highest level if Thompson makes it back successfully. 

10 minutes ago, Destino said:

Seth Curry is killing the Hawks. 

Ben Simmons is a no show again in the first half.  It’s fascinating how radically the narrative on him has changed in this series. 

Philly has a team perfectly built for Simmons. Dude should have developed a post game by now. 

Aside from this game, I gotta say that I hate how the NBA officiating has so drastically changed from the regular season. I have no idea how they are calling games now. 

Watching Gallinari try to do anything but move in straight lines makes my knees hurt.  

14 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Philly has a team perfectly built for Simmons. Dude should have developed a post game by now. 

All he needs to be effective is to hit free throws at a high rate.  That would free him up to drive every time he touches the ball and use his size and passing ability.  I refuse to believe that any human on this planet with a working healthy body can not learn to hit most of their free throws if they work hard at it.  

Atlanta blew a golden opportunity.  That’s the sort of stuff that ends runs for young teams.  Philly didn’t play well, but too many hawks couldn’t get shots to fall and never figured out another way to score.  It’s going to be hard to win in Philly.  

• Sad 1

A max PG has to be subbed for offense as the end of the game.  I'd like to know the last time that happened.

The problem with Simmons is that it isn't just the starters that matter.  He can't play with Howard because Howard doesn't draw people out of the paint like Embiid.  You can't have a max point guard that only can play with a certain type of 5.

And it isn't even the 5.  One of their other best bench players is Thybulle.  But he's not a good shooter either.  Any lineup with him, Simmons, and Thybulle is a minus this year.  So the Sixers end up with some funky rotations to limit the amount he has to play with the other bench pieces.  Even if Ben could make FTs, he dictates the whole construction of the team to the point that it doesn't make sense to have him be a max player.

You essentially need a whole team of shooters and stretch 5s (and shooting in general) isn't that easy to come by.

(Also, making your living on drives and in the paint is hard on the body.  The NBA still allows a lot of contact around the rim.  It is much easier to get baskets from jump shots, and Simmons has already had some back problems.  If he actually starts playing that way, he's going to have a short career.)