Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The NBA has always been dominated by dynasties with the rare one off champion(03 Pistons, 11 Mavs for examples).

The Warriors will win another ring this year, and then the next dynasty will arise after the events of this summer's FA. Could very well be the Clippers if they keep that core and add a max player or two.

And its what the fans want.

The worst period in the NBA was the 1970s where there were no dynastic teams.

Some people live in a Disney sports utopia.

28 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I can't get with that "Everyone being likeable" stuff though. Leagues thrive off of "Good guys" and "Villains." 

i dont need to like them 

It's fun when the likeable players win because we get more of them.  Lillard and Giannis are so easy to root for.  It's not just about being nice though.  It's about not being a cheater and not being selfish and inauthentic and wholly concerned with your brand.  It's about being a true team-first guy.  That's why I can't hate Curry even though he's definitely a bit of a twerp.

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The NBA has always been dominated by dynasties with the rare one off champion(03 Pistons, 11 Mavs for examples).

The Warriors will win another ring this year, and then the next dynasty will arise after the events of this summer's FA. Could very well be the Clippers if they keep that core and add a max player or two.

once lakers get zion and leonard they will rise again 

I had a vision of Kyrie, Leonard, LeBron, Kuzma and Zion on the Lakers in 2019-20 and I got very excited

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Yeah, having the Knicks/Warriors/Bullets/Bucks/Blazers and Sonics win titles was definitely terrible for the long-term health of the league...smh.

The problem with the NBA in the 70s and before was that the NCAA was a superior product.  But, underclassmen started coming in 1974 and the 3-point line dropped in 79...and the rest is history.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Yeah, having the Knicks/Warriors/Bullets/Bucks/Blazers and Sonics win titles was definitely terrible for the long-term health of the league...smh.

The problem with the NBA in the 70s and before was that the NCAA was a superior product.  But, underclassmen started coming in 1974 and the 3-point line dropped in 79...and the rest is history.

Well it was definitely a problem because fan interest dipped and NBA finals games ended up on tape delay for east coast audiences.

The NBA, at its peak, has been about great individual personalities and dynastic teams.

18 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

It really isn't.  People want broad, authentic, consequential competition.  Having to settle for following the personal drama of the players and all of the consequential moments in the NBA coming in the offseason is terrible for the league because you don't actually have to watch any games to do that.

The league knows they desperately need to expand competition, that's why they tried to restrict superstar movement with the DPVE, and why they're trying to come up with ways to reform the draft lottery to limit the effect of tanking.  They've enacted half-measures though, and can't make the fundamental changes to the league's player acquisition structure that are necessary outside of a CBA renegotiation.

BTW, one of the worst arguments for keeping a bad system in place is that it's the way things have always been done.

8 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

You're right.  Plus it was also the merger period.  The league was dramatically restructured so it was almost inevitable that the product would be semi-pro and uneven.

• Thanks 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_champions

Also, if you look at the 70s, there were “dynasties”.  The Knicks made the Finals 3 of 4 years.  The Lakers did the same.  The Bullets made the Finals 3 of 5 years.  And the Celtics won two titles in three years.

What the 70s also had, which we are now missing, is competitive balance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

What the 70s also had, which we are now missing, is competitive balance.

This is true.  Also, let's not overthink it.  Massive TV deals are a huge part of why the NBA got popular and Magic and Bird.  The perception of the league back then wasn't favorable to a lot of people.   People back then thought the league was full of coke and their games weren't televised.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/303726-how-the-nba-climbed-mountains-through-an-era-of-outlandish-proportions

• Thanks 1

The NBA has never really grown up from their 80's mindset.  I think they believe deep down that the only way people will follow their league is if there are two dynastic teams led by face of the league players squaring off in the Finals every year.  So they've created the conditions to severely limit competition and prevent multiple strong franchises from coexisting.  And it's the big reason the NFL remains orders of magnitude more popular despite all of it's flaws and disadvantages, and a big reason why NBA playoff games get clowned in ratings every April by Roger Gooddell reading a bunch of names off a piece of paper, one every ten minutes for three hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrypticVillain said:

This and seeding every playoff team 1-16 would make the NBA perfect.

I'm really excited for both Conference Finals... They might not last long, but they'll be intriguing to watch.

Just say no to 1-16 seeding. 

• Sad 1

I think the league needs variety. Good nix of star laden teams, good mix of a team of 5 Stanley McGillicutty's, that play hard and are technically sound. Then a good mix of truly dominant teams, that arent so dominant that they cant be had in a 7 game series.

i also think the league would thrive with varied systems, which isn't really happening right now, because of the dominance of the 3 (which I think, due to evolution, needs to be looked at).

Strongly discourage tanking, eliminate the luxury tax, and I think you'll have your dream league, McQueen

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

i also think the league would thrive with varied systems, which isn't really happening right now, because of the dominance of the 3 (which I think, due to evolution, needs to be looked at).

This is a way bigger problem then forcing competitive balance. 

I want to see a good product. I don't care who is winning. At the end of the day, this is entertainment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yep, but at least they had Magic, Bird, MJ, 3 point line, TV deals.  It was on the upswing.  Coke was everywhere, for sure. 

53 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Good thing players are better about conditioning nowadays. Soda has too many empty calories and carbs.

The Bird thing was huge for the league.  If you think America is racist these days, man you shoulda seen it in the 70s.  Bird brought rural white America back to the NBA.  His importance cannot be overstated.

Also, regarding the coke thing...I’m no scientist but I’d wager that a couple bumps and a Camel Light at halftime is a better option than the Rod Strickland/Kevin Duckworth Chili Dog Challenge.

• Haha 1

People saying they don't care about dynasties sound like they don't care if their team ever wins a championship.  Sure there's the occasional "my team might be next", but I can't get down with just accepting the Wizards will never get one.

I'm down for more competition and parity, I don't get why Steve is constantly the only one saying just because we haven't had that means we shouldn't even try.

• Like 1

If the Suns get the first pick, they should deal it for AD. They could throw in a couple other assists like a young small forward and Bender. 

Have AD, Ayton and Booker with a couple young SF remaining. 

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm down for more competition and parity, I don't get why Steve is constantly the only one saying just because we haven't had that means we shouldn't even try. 

I think the league is trying to broaden competition, but they don't have the power to make necessary fundamental changes to the way players are acquired outside of a CBA negotiation.

The creation of the DPVE was definitely intended to keep superstar players with the teams that draft them.  It just hasn't really worked yet--Kawhi Leonard and Kyrie Irving both turned it down and Anthony Davis is going to as well.  I can't yet be sure if the DPVE will ever truly work as intended, because it's still pretty new and has only been implemented four times I think (Harden, Curry, Westbrook, Wall).  But right now, it's looking like a half measure.

Likewise the changes to the draft lottery were also designed to limit tanking and prevent franchises from building super teams in the way Philly has tried to.  But again, we don't yet know if the reforms will be enough.

My gut says neither of these reforms will be enough to push the NBA in a state of broad competitive balance.  There is still way too much wiggle room with the cap, and way too much benefit derived from tanking.

But I do think it's a really good sign that Toronto and Milwaukee have become so good, building the way that they have.  These franchises were basketball backwaters, and if they can get good via acquiring a superstar player and surrounding him with a well-built team, then there is hope for creating a league were all 30 franchises can become strong.

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm still thinking the fix is in to get Zion to NYC.  There's no way the NBA would allow him to go to a place like New Orleans or Minnesota.  

Or Washington :ols:

Funny you say that, considering both NO and MIN have gotten 1st overall picks (AD and KAT), two blue chip players while NYC has gotten crickets. Dont buy that at all

8 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm still thinking the fix is in to get Zion to NYC.  There's no way the NBA would allow him to go to a place like New Orleans or Minnesota.  

Or Washington :ols:

Well they are tied for having the best odds at getting the #1 pick.  It wouldn't be shocking if they got it.  DC's odds of getting it are only 9% and New Orleans' and Minnesota's are only 6% and 3% respectively.

• Like 1