Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

why? because its how it has always been? its illegal and a farce.

How is it illegal?  The players don't have to sign with a team regardless if they are drafted.  Kobe is a prime example, he ****ed the Hornets over and said he would not play there, then they traded picks and got Vlade.  

What's the difference in the Cavs or bad teams winning a lottery and bad teams also being the only one that can afford top picks via free agency as you suggested?

Well it eliminates tanking and forces those teams to continue to get better even if just to win the top picks in which case they might find themselves becoming a pretty good team.

Forces them to get better how? Magic? This grand idea would make bad teams WORSE because their only option would be free agents, meaning they'd all exist on teams of one year deals hoping to snag a max player or two every offseason and having to stay flexible otherwise.

Forces them to get better how? Magic? This grand idea would make bad teams WORSE because their only option would be free agents, meaning they'd all exist on teams of one year deals hoping to snag a max player or two every offseason and having to stay flexible otherwise.

I'm just saying, they rise to the top through coaching, strategy or smarter talent acquisition or they remain at the bottom. The point is they have the opportunity to earn their draft pick rather than it being handed to them and actually rewarding tanking or what the 76ers did this season.

Edit: if they don't get better, who cares? What law is there that bad teams have to get better? Same thing in life, poor -> rich there are classes. They might not have the best hand at the table but they still have the chance the same way a poor kid can do the same.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

I just want to know why the Lottery can not be done live what were or are the reasons against it being a live event? I don't see how doing it in a dark room is more beneficial? Are they worried that it would not be as exciting or something? They do lotto ball drawings on TV and not in a dark room so there are obviously other options than what the NBA has in place.

• Like 1

I'm just saying, they rise to the top through coaching, strategy or smarter talent acquisition or they remain at the bottom. The point is they have the opportunity to earn their draft pick rather than it being handed to them and actually rewarding tanking or what the 76ers did this season.

Edit: if they don't get better, who cares? What law is there that bad teams have to get better? Same thing in life, poor -> rich there are classes. They might not have the best hand at the table but they still have the chance the same way a poor kid can do the same.

The fans of teams that would be trapped as the Washington Generals begging free agents to take their money. That's who would care, front running fans that just latch onto whatever team is good would continue on embarrassing themselves, but why would anyone cater to them? Edited by Destino

I just want to know why the Lottery can not be done live what were or are the reasons against it being a live event? I don't see how doing it in a dark room is more beneficial? Are they worried that it would not be as exciting or something? They do lotto ball drawings on TV and not in a dark room so there are obviously other options than what the NBA has in place.

Cause it's rigged.  They don't want you to see which team actually got the #1 pick or other teams helped out behind the scenes.  That's why we get the order picked, non-televised and read to us after the fact. 

After the entire Chris Paul to LA blocked trade because the NBA owned the Hornets at the time, there is no doubt in my mind that the NBA controls what teams they want to be in position to draft the best players.  They want the entire league, including smaller markets to be competitive because it's best for business.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

If the goal is to punish bad GMs make the GM of lottery teams compete on an episode of Wipeout for draft positioning. I certainly would have enjoyed watching Ernie bounce his face off the big balls before cartwheeling into the dirty water.

• Like 1

I don't think it's rigged every year, just in special circumstances. Off the top of my head, definite riggings: Knicks getting Ewing (there's actually evidence for this one), LeBron to Cleveland, Wall to the Wizards and Irving to Cleveland. I'm sure there are others (probably one or two big ones) that I'm just forgetting.

• Like 1

If the goal is to punish bad GMs make the GM of lottery teams compete on an episode of Wipeout for draft positioning. I certainly would have enjoyed watching Ernie bounce his face off the big balls before cartwheeling into the dirty water.

Too bad Khan is gone from Minny lol

I don't think it's rigged every year, just in special circumstances. Off the top of my head, definite riggings: Knicks getting Ewing (there's actually evidence for this one), LeBron to Cleveland, Wall to the Wizards and Irving to Cleveland. I'm sure there are others (probably one or two big ones) that I'm just forgetting.

Davis to NO

Then the worst of the worst teams wouldn't get the pick they need.

you mean like this year? I think the worst team in the NBA has only won the lottery 4 times since this new system was created in 1994.

What's the difference in the Cavs or bad teams winning a lottery and bad teams also being the only one that can afford top picks via free agency as you suggested?[/b[

Well it eliminates tanking and forces those teams to continue to get better even if just to win the top picks in which case they might find themselves becoming a pretty good team.

the difference is that a player doesnt have to sign for the worst team. They get to be free agents. If you want to improve your chances, get better.

And the current system absolutely does not force teams to get better.

How is it illegal?  The players don't have to sign with a team regardless if they are drafted.  Kobe is a prime example, he ****ed the Hornets over and said he would not play there, then they traded picks and got Vlade.

1) if a player doesnt sign with the team then they are not permitted to play in the NBA. 2) if they demand a trade like Steve Francis did then they are seen as a pariah by the media. (Hornets didnt get effed over either, they got Vlade Divac and won 50 games that next year)

I will tell you what, let someone else pick where you will be employed next year, regardless of where, and see how you feel about that.

Cause it's rigged.  They don't want you to see which team actually got the #1 pick or other teams helped out behind the scenes.  That's why we get the order picked, non-televised and read to us after the fact. 

After the entire Chris Paul to LA blocked trade because the NBA owned the Hornets at the time, there is no doubt in my mind that the NBA controls what teams they want to be in position to draft the best players.  They want the entire league, including smaller markets to be competitive because it's best for business.

I've said it for years the draft lottery is rigged. I think it's hilarious people get so upset about it considering the league has already been caught influencing the outcome of games. Albeit they blamed a ref for it but they were involved nonetheless.

The lottery is broken, but it's not rigged IMO. Cleveland probably wouldn't keep winning if it were rigged. It's just stupid. The NBA draft just doesn't work as well as the other sports's drafts do. It's hard to climb out of the gutter just by stockpiling picks. You usually have to make all kinds of secondary and tertiary trades and signings to actually buttress the roster. That's why so many teams just stay in the lottery, shuffling their talent. The draft alone does not distribute talent throughout the league.

And what sucks for the league as a whole is that, promising players have their careers ruined when they fail with the team that drafted them. Once you change teams you lose the protection of the perception of your potential. You lose the GM who picked you from your corner. You lose that initial vision of your place in the NBA. It's a steady talent drain on the NBA as a whole to have a lot of the highest regarded talent from each draft class flunk out of the NBA after getting picked by inept organizations that are oversaturated in young, undeveloped talent.

• Like 1

you mean like this year? I think the worst team in the NBA has only won the lottery 4 times since this new system was created in 1994. the difference is that a player doesnt have to sign for the worst team. They get to be free agents. If you want to improve your chances, get better.And the current system absolutely does not force teams to get better.  1) if a player doesnt sign with the team then they are not permitted to play in the NBA. 2) if they demand a trade like Steve Francis did then they are seen as a pariah by the media. (Hornets didnt get effed over either, they got Vlade Divac and won 50 games that next year)I will tell you what, let someone else pick where you will be employed next year, regardless of where, and see how you feel about that.

If they're going to pay me $5 mil. they could pick wherever in the blue hell they want me to work...

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think its every year either.  But statistically speaking, the worst teams should win the #1 overall pick a lot more than they have.  Which is why I believe there is some interference/rigging under certain circumstances like you pointed out.  

I'd toss in the Hornets/Pelicans getting the #1 pick right after the NBA sold the team to the Saints owner and one year removed of blocking the Paul trade to the Lakers, but trade to the Clippers, killing star talent there.  

you mean like this year? I think the worst team in the NBA has only won the lottery 4 times since this new system was created in 1994.

the difference is that a player doesnt have to sign for the worst team. They get to be free agents. If you want to improve your chances, get better.

And the current system absolutely does not force teams to get better.

1) if a player doesnt sign with the team then they are not permitted to play in the NBA. 2) if they demand a trade like Steve Francis did then they are seen as a pariah by the media. (Hornets didnt get effed over either, they got Vlade Divac and won 50 games that next year)

I will tell you what, let someone else pick where you will be employed next year, regardless of where, and see how you feel about that.

But that is the current system in place for professional sports.  It's not illegal.  It's designed to make it fair for all teams to have super star talent on the roster so people buy tickets to come and watch the team or said star player/s.  It's not like anyone is putting a gun to someones head and saying they have to pursue an NBA career.

They can apply for work anywhere they want to, they don't have to declare themselves eligible for the NBA draft.  They know what they are signing up for long before they are eligible to do so.  You can't compare my job or your job to the NBA draft, that's just silly Joe.  

• Like 1

If I agreed to join a company knowing that I could get signed any of their sub companies in 30 different cities, I wouldn't say it was unfair. I knew it going in.

If the college players don't like it, stay in school get your degree and another career in a Different field. Don't say the way a business chooses to run it's company is illegal when it isn't.

I don't give Wade the benefit of the doubt anymore. If he goes down and can cheap shot somebody with him, he will do it. No shock George was kicked in the head

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

But that is the current system in place for professional sports.  It's not illegal.  It's designed to make it fair for all teams to have super star talent on the roster so people buy tickets to come and watch the team or said star player/s.  It's not like anyone is putting a gun to someones head and saying they have to pursue an NBA career.

They can apply for work anywhere they want to, they don't have to declare themselves eligible for the NBA draft.  They know what they are signing up for long before they are eligible to do so.  You can't compare my job or your job to the NBA draft, that's just silly Joe.

professional sports labor laws itself is inherently illegal. Salary caps would not fly any other workforce. Its illegal.

and there is nothing silly about it. If someone gets drafted into a terrible environment and cannot turn it around, that player is seen as a bust. Not the organization being a mess, that player by himself. There is nothing fair about that.

If the college players don't like it, stay in school get your degree and another career in a Different field. Don't say the way a business chooses to run it's company is illegal when it isn't.

exactly, apply this to your life and you are screaming at the roof top.

Eliminating the draft would end tanking, make the process fair, and would give everyone a chance to sign a player if they can afford it. And the player can goto the situation that is best for his career.

The lottery is broken, but it's not rigged IMO. Cleveland probably wouldn't keep winning if it were rigged. It's just stupid. The NBA draft just doesn't work as well as the other sports's drafts do. It's hard to climb out of the gutter just by stockpiling picks. You usually have to make all kinds of secondary and tertiary trades and signings to actually buttress the roster. That's why so many teams just stay in the lottery, shuffling their talent. The draft alone does not distribute talent throughout the league.

And what sucks for the league as a whole is that, promising players have their careers ruined when they fail with the team that drafted them. Once you change teams you lose the protection of the perception of your potential. You lose the GM who picked you from your corner. You lose that initial vision of your place in the NBA. It's a steady talent drain on the NBA as a whole to have a lot of the highest regarded talent from each draft class flunk out of the NBA after getting picked by inept organizations that are oversaturated in young, undeveloped talent.

this man gets it. He gets it completely.