Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I think this is the most important thing. Disagreeing is whatever, but to wish the guy injury and vandalizing his house is embarrassing.

Yea...I saw a vid of a guy who runs a local bar in OKC on Durant's property shooting some video voicing his displeasure. 

Folks who love the team have every right to be upset...but to take it that far, he owes NOTHING to you.  You're insignificant, and for fans like that, I am happy that he's moved on. 

That is probably true. Nobody remembers that Elway did nothing in his first Super Bowl win. As long as you win. Just don't tell the crazy jersey burners!

Just to be clear though, what Lebron did is an outlier. The convergence of events and the way they unfolded... Nothing like that has been done before and it wont be done again , so in that vein, Durant can never hope to be Lebron, or Jordan, or Kobe, Magic, Bird, etc.

He can just be Durant, and win some rings.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Durant could win three in a row with GSW, it's still not as impressive as LeBron almost taking down a 73-win team by himself for three games in a row. Knocking off Goliath >>> joining Goliath. 

Gasol is old, already a champion, didn't lose to the Spurs in the playoffs after blowing a 3-1 lead because he shot bricks and is a role player, not a superstar. Plus he's not leaving a team already good enough to win. There are plenty of reasons to defend KD for his decision and I say that even as someone who doesn't like it. But to use Gasol is not one of them.

To address your first point, What Lebron did is the greatest thing, and though I was rooting for the Warriors, I enjoyed every bit of it because I love good basketball play. Additionally, Durant will never be on Lebron's level. Rather he stayed in OKC or went to GS.

As far as the Gasol comparison, my whole thing is, why throw shade at anybody trying to find the best situation for them.

Yeah its not fresh news. Once I saw the offer from Riles, I resigned myself to the realization that this past spring was the last time I'll see Wade in a Heat uniform.

And yes, he and Lebron want one more run together. It is what it is.

Became more real after Durant signed with GS

Edited by Mr. Sinister

I think I implied they drafted and traded well.

'98-99 is almost 20 years ago, and every time since we gotta hear about LA and free agents and it's based on literally nothing.

Nash was 38 years old and at the end when he signed there. He was no longer a player of consequence.

Well during those 20 years, they were one of the best teams in the NBA.

they signed Artest as well before the 2010 title.

Nash was definitely a player of consequence. He shot 53%, which was a career high, from the field and made the All Star game. His back was fried which the Lakers blew, but at the time that was a huge signing.

The Lakers were just the top of the league and maxed out most of these last 20 years. The last 3 years, they have had shoddy management which has lead to no one wanting to play there.

Yeah its not fresh news. Once I saw the offer from Riles, I resigned myself to the realization that this past spring was the last time I'll see Wade in a Heat uniform.

And yes, he and Lebron want one more run together. It is what it is.

Became more real after Durant signed with GS

I read that the Cavs can only offer him like 3.4 million though.  And just read that he was wanting a $50 million dollar two year deal.  Am I confused or wasn't he asking for $20 mil /year a week or two ago from the Heat when they were low balling him?

Sad, I'd like to see Wade retire with the Heat, but I don't think it will happen either.

Aside from him being from LA, are you sure about that?  Lakers are a mess.

Russ is wired differently.  I honestly think he values winning above everything.  I don't think he'll end up playing for LAL. 

Lakers may be a mess now, but who knows in a year.   Plus, there's the Clippers?

I respect the hell out of Russ, but the rumors about him missing LA and not being happy in Oklahoma have been swirling for years.    Not because he's a Lakers fan, but because he loves the LA lifestyle.

Edited by Predicto

That is something I wasnt thinking of... was too fovused on Durants iso capabilities within that scheme.

GS isos less than any team in the league.   That isn't going to change.   It's going to be endless motion and cutting and extra passes to open shots or dunks.  Durant might have the most efficient offensive season ever - just like Curry just had. 

• Like 1

I read that the Cavs can only offer him like 3.4 million though. And just read that he was wanting a $50 million dollar two year deal. Am I confused or wasn't he asking for $20 mil /year a week or two ago from the Heat when they were low balling him?

Sad, I'd like to see Wade retire with the Heat, but I don't think it will happen either.

All I know is that Waaes relationship with Riles hasn't exactly been su shine and daisies, going back to when Riles was still coaching. Obviously, he was from that old school, run you into the ground practice style and it bothered Wade, among other things. Its why Wade immediately backed Spo when he got the job, so he wouldn't end up like Stan Van (though he kinda dug his own grave).

Then when the team was struggling in 2010, there were whispers that Pat could come back again, and Wade effectively said "Over my dead body".

Their relationship has always greatly been respect driven, but I can't say they were much more than that, at least recently, and once Lebron left and lathered up Riles right when he was about to close the chapter on his tenure with the Heat, he and Wade started to butt heads a bit because Wade wouldn't terminate his friendship, or at least stop being so buddy buddy with James, now that they were no longer teammates.

That, and Wade felt that he was always the good soldier here, and deserved his rightful payday, and as much as he had a point, Hassan Whiteside had to be our #1 priority and I guess they at least had to kick the tires on Durant.

And here we are...

• Like 1

Dubs also like to do a few alley-oops (damn that's a weird word written) to Bogut and/or Ezeli. With Durant, they will at least have someone who can catch the ball for them. Seriously, Bogut and Ezeli must have the worst hands in the league. I'm talking Carlos Rogers hands of stone here.

• Like 1

A ring is a ring.

Maybe for an ordinary player. But you know that's not true of players of Durant's stature. The role you played on the team that won it matters. It is so much more meaningful when you win the ring as the leader of the team. Who cares if James Worthy has three rings? But the three rings that Bird and LeBron won are the single biggest validation of their greatness.

McHale and Parrish had nothing to do with Bird's rings, huh (not to mention Danny Ainge who won 2 after the Celts drafted him in 1983)? Heck, I'd bet Larry B would have jumped ship 7-8 years after joining the Celts without those two (or three) young guns with him. Especially if they had the FA movement they have now.

Edited by The Evil Genius

Maybe for an ordinary player. But you know that's not true of players of Durant's stature. The role you played on the team that won it matters. It is so much more meaningful when you win the ring as the leader of the team. Who cares if James Worthy has three rings? But the three rings that Bird and LeBron won are the single biggest validation of their greatness.

Yes, but a ring is better than none at all.

Lebron bailed on CLE when they looked incapable of getting him the ring, went to Heat and was part of the Big 3.  Sure, he was the ringleader, but the glory of winning in Miami with Wade and Bosh would always be less than leading a ragtag group of guys to a ring in CLE.  Didn't matter, ring >>>> no ring.

Now, once Lebron got two rings, he went back to CLE, and did as you say, sought validation as a great, but that was after getting the ring(s).

KD could do the same.  He wants to be in as sure of a position as possible to at least get 1, because a ring as a cog is better than none as the leader.  If in two years he's got 1 or 2 rings, he'll probably strongly consider going somewhere with less talent where he's the clear top dog and all accolades will flow through him.  Maybe he'll go back to OKC after they've retooled and make a run at it, this time hopefully with the GS and CLE superteams having run their course, and pull a Lebron.

McHale and Parrish had nothing to do with Bird's rings, huh (not to mention Danny Ainge who won 2 after the Celts drafted him in 1983)? Heck, I'd bet Larry B would have jumped ship 7-8 years after joining the Celts without those two (or three) young guns with him. Especially if they had the FA movement they have now.

Of course they were a part of those titles. But they were not the leaders or essential player. They were sidekicks and role players. They are not mentioned in the same breath as Bird, who is one of the most celebrated legends in NBA history.

And if Durant is now being compared to McHale and Parish to explain his new place, then it's a sign of how much he's forfeited by this move. This guy could and should have been a legend like Bird. I'll always believe he had the talent and potential to be a top five all time player. Now he is never going to reach it. You guys are saying that no one is going to care about him doing this in 10 years, and that's what is sad. He won't even come up when people are talking about the likes of Jordan and Magic and Bird and LeBron and Kobe and Duncan and Steph Curry himself. It's just going to be nerds and old heads who are like, "you know who was really good when he was with Buffalo was Bob McAdoo." It's depressing.

Doubt it for a guy that prideful and stubborn. But he did say he would've retired after the 86 championship if Bias hasn't died.

There's one other thing people aren't talking about... I know Steph won back to back MVP, but who's to say that KD won't be the alpha dog?

You know that's not going to happen. That is Curry's team. He is better and more accomplished and more assertive than Durant. He's already led them on the second greatest two year run in league history.

Just making this move shows what a beta dog Durant is. He'll settle into his role and enjoy playing off the ball and hitting open shots and he'll enjoy great team success. But his days of being one of the league's alpha players are over.

You know that's not going to happen. That is Curry's team. He is better and more accomplished and more assertive than Durant. He's already led them on the second greatest two year run in league history.

Minus the MVP and back to back finals, people said the same thing about Lebron. We don't know how it's going to play out...

Answer me this, are you denying that KD doesn't have the skill set to take that title from Curry? You yourself said he was top 5 all-time... lol