Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I've seen several reports that Deandre left because CP3 wasn't nice to him. Don't you have to win something before you get to act like Kobe?

I really want to know what was going on in that locker room.  I had no idea Jordan hated CP3.

Anything that makes the Clippers easier to root against is red meat for me.  Man, I wish Pierce had gone anywhere else.  It annoys me that he is going to end his career in that mess.

Thompson is a restricted FA, the Cavs can lowball him and if someone else outbids them, then they can just match the offer.

At this point, LeBron really doesn't have much leverage to effect the Thompson negotiations because he can't leave.  Who has cap space any more?  Is he going to sign the MLE somewhere?  And if he left, he'd be absolutely hated in Ohio once again.

It's funny that LeBron is completely controlling that franchise, but it's absolutely dysfunctional.  The jury is still out on Coach LeBron.  But GM LeBron is awful, worse than GM Doc Rivers.  GM LeBron is how  you end up paying 60 million dollars in luxury tax for a six player roster.  He thinks he's loading up his team by getting all of his buddies paid, but he is actually hurting his ability to win a championship in Cleveland

Thompson already signed an extension with the Cavs. Happened the same day Love announced he was re-upping as well.

Thompson already signed an extension with the Cavs. Happened the same day Love announced he was re-upping as well.

Technically nobody has signed anything yet since the moratorium doesn't end until the 8th. But the reports of an agreement between the Cavs and Thompson were false. They are still trying to come up with a deal.

Technically nobody has signed anything yet since the moratorium doesn't end until the 8th. But the reports of an agreement between the Cavs and Thompson were false. They are still trying to come up with a deal.

It was on every feed that day. I'm sure they will come up with something soon. He'll be a Cav either way next year and probably for good money. One of the advantages the Cavs have is that if it turns out that, let's say Kevin Love, is a bad fit, with the cap rising so much next year, it will be a lot easier to trade him. Same goes for any player that signed for big money this year that is a top rated player.

Edit: It really makes no sense what Lebron is doing. He is a terrible GM.

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1

The speculation on the Cavs also trading for Joe Johnson makes a lot of sense. If they agree with West, they can ship Varejao and Haywood to the Nets for Johnson. Johnson and West coming off the bench either Thompson or Mozgov as the back up center would be tough to beat.

That Spurs vs Warriors WCF is going to be epic.

I love the David West signing for SA BTW.  I wish we had gotten him, but I think he's going to be a fantastic third big for them.  Should be some minutes available for him too since Duncan isn't a big minute player and Aldridge can play C.

Still think he would have been best off in DC though.  Could have gotten more money here, and he probably would have started.  But if the goal is purely to win a ring, then he made the right call.

Also, even if Cleveland had unlimited money to pay tax, I can't see Brooklyn being overly willing to trade them Joe Johnson for Haywood and Varejao because Varejao isn't an expiring. He's guaranteed another 10 million next season. They might do it I their luxury tax bill this year is absolutely crazy too so as to shave about 14 million in payroll off before tax, but it still seems like a tough sell. And bottom line, it's just so unlikely Cleveland can afford to make this move.

Would Lebron allow them to deal away Varejao? Isn't he Lebrons best friend?

Summer League comp is booty though. Let's see what he's got in October. 

He can't prove he's a star in the summer league but if he's going to be something in the NBA he has to shine in the summer league against weaker competition.  Even Otto Porter managed to stand out when he was finally ready to get big minutes.  Point is all this he can prove is that he's better than those scrubs, and that's what the 76ers want to see. 

I will add this, Okafor's footwork is as polished as I've seen a big man coming out of college in I don't know how long.  It's been a long time since the league had a great offensive center.  

Yep, it really is fantastic. He has a tremendous NBA body too for being so young. Some of the biggest and strongest hands in the league. Reminiscent of Shaq really, but hg isn't the explosive athlete Shaq was. He would have been such a good fit in NY.

I think the Al Jefferson ceiling I said a long time ago wasn't realistic. Jefferson wasn't nearly this good and ready at 19.

If Embiid works out, they are going to have the two best true old school center prospects to have come out in a long time.

One area where I can see Okafor really struggling (as most rookies do) is defensively and trying to handle the foot speed of NBA bigs. I'm not sure where they will have him defend, the low post player or the stretch 4 with Noel being the center.

One area where I can see Okafor really struggling (as most rookies do) is defensively and trying to handle the foot speed of NBA bigs. I'm not sure where they will have him defend, the low post player or the stretch 4 with Noel being the center.

I think Okafor and Noel are a good tandem defensively.  Noel is probably going to be the PF because he has the ability to help from the weakside as well as recover to the perimeter.  And he is really an ideal player to guard opposing PFs on pick and rolls, and stretch fours in particular.

Okafor should play C IMO, and the first thing he should be able to do on defense at an NBA level is hold ground against posting fives.  Where I worry about him is against teams that go small and have a good PG and a center that is a good PnR player.  I think the Wizards would light him up.  There aren't too many really great PnR scoring fives out there though.  Howard, Gortat, Jordan, and Chandler are the only ones who come to mind.  Most of the best PnR scorers in the league primarily play PF.

Offensively, there are some issues with the Noel/Okafor tandem no doubt.  Neither can shoot at all.  I think the only real solution to the problem is Noel is going to have to develop range out to 18 feet.  I can see him getting a bit of a face up game, and if Okafor can get to where you need to guard him to 15 feet, then that could give Noel space to work.  But Noel really just needs to get that 15-18 foot jumper down like Serge Ibaka did.  If that happens, then I think the offensive tandem works.  Especially if the 76ers get good shooters at 1-3.  With two bigs with as much potential as Noel and Okafor, I think they will be able to go with role players on the perimeter and just focus on getting shooters and stoppers.

I know you're not that bullish on Philly's future, and I wasn't before they got Okafor.  But I really love their offseason and think they finally have the foundation for their future in place.  Next step for them is to salvage some of Embiid's value and deal him along with one of Thompson or Landry to bring in some perimeter guys.