Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

In the context of Jordan now, the other thing is that it is a more open court game.  Jordan played in what is at least in my life time, and I believe the history of the NBA, the slowest era of basketball.

I think that benefited him.  I don't think his skills, in terms of handling the ball or court vision, make him ideal for an up tempo game.

Obviously, he'd be a great finisher, but if you look at eras where the game has been a more up tempo game, those guys aren't considered the greatest players.

Nobody thinks Worthy was better than Magic.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

What? Aren't you like 10? You missed everyones everything. Which goes to show why you cannot defeat me.

Now yield.

You realize this is a bunch of dudes wasting time arguing about a bunch of pointless hypotheticals because it's the offseason. I think we should all not be taking this too seriously.  :)

You realize this is a bunch of dudes wasting time arguing about a bunch of pointless hypotheticals because it's the offseason. I think we should all not be taking this too seriously. :)

Im willing to bet 5 pieces of lembas bread that im the least serious out of all of you.

Don't Mistake my kung fu for evil designs. Im using from now on for the good of humanity

Edited by Mr. Sinister

I'm gonna come to LeBron's defense on the whole winner thing ... there's no such thing as being a "better winner". You generally win because you're placed in good circumstances. LeBron had no chance in 2007 or last year and he took terrible teams to the promised land. Don't hold it against him that the scrubs he carried inevitably failed when push came to shove.

Im willing to bet 5 pieces of lembas bread that im the least serious out of all of you.

Don't Mistake my kung fu for evil designs. Im using from now on for the good of humanity

The only time I'm serious on here is when another D.C. team is collapsing and it's not anger, it's serious disappointment.  :(

• Like 1

The only time I'm serious on here is when another D.C. team is collapsing and it's not anger, it's serious disappointment. :(

You're a good man, sticks.

Btw, your dad Larry Legend is still one of the greatest players to ever hold a basketball, despite that asshole in Cleveland taking the SF throne room from him.

Just tell him I said that.

Btw, your dad Larry Legend is still one of the greatest players to ever hold a basketball, despite that asshole in Cleveland taking the SF throne room from him.

I think Larry Bird is probably the most comfortable wth his legacy of all the old players in that he seems to literally not give a ****. Oscar spends all day hating because nobody talks about him. As Cam'Ron would say, "he mad".

• Like 1

If Larry Bird was black he would either be rembered as the greatest player ever or just another good shooter. His race played such a huge role in his legacy.

• Like 1

This is a legit question.

Also, there was no greater winner than Jordan.  He might not have the same skill set as someone who is as freakishly athletic as Lebron, but that dude could will his team to win no matter the circumstances.  If there's a game that is a must win and I could choose anybody to lead that team, it's Jordan, hands down.  That's no slight to anybody else because let's face it, we're talking about the best of the best here.  Jordan > Lebron 

1. Bill Russell wants to kick you in the balls right now. And he will, despite being 106.

2. Are we at the point where we have to pretend that Jordan wasn't an otherworldly athletic specimen in order to further build his myth? Because otherwise, I think you are combing the Jordan mythos with the Bird mythos. And those mythos might create another myth that then eats the other two myths. And no one really wants to see Larry Bird eaten.

• Like 1

The best perimeter players of the day are all elite 3 point shooters

Yes, because they come into the league shooting thousands of 3s in practice. Shooting is the easiest thing to improve and there's no excuse for leaving the game as good as you were when you entered as a shooter.

Look at Kawhi Leonard, he shoots over 40 percent after coming into the league as a bum from behind the arc. And he did it in a pretty short period of time.

1. Bill Russell wants to kick you in the balls right now. And he will, despite being 106.

2. Are we at the point where we have to pretend that Jordan wasn't an otherworldly athletic specimen in order to further build his myth? Because otherwise, I think you are combing the Jordan mythos with the Bird mythos. And those mythos might create another myth that then eats the other two myths. And no one really wants to see Larry Bird eaten.

Well we would all die, seeing as that would destroy the universe

Well, by saying Jordan was the best winner, I'm saying that no matter how big the game or moment is, he's going to win.  He'll put the team on his shoulders and get the job done.  Now with that being said...

Bill Russell is the product of 99% of the league being terrible and much shorter than him in his playing days.  He was that much better than everyone and was ahead of his time.  Take for example the '63-64 Celtics.  Russell is one of 3 guys on the team taller than 6'5".  He was supposed to dominate.  He shot 43% from the floor, 55% at the free throw line and 15 points per game that season.  Get out of here with that nonsense that Bill Russell is better in any possible way than Jordan.  Dude averaged 15 ppg in his lifetime, 44% shooter, and made a little more than half his FT's.

Yeah I said it.

Jordan > Bill Russell

Edited by CBass1724
  • Like 1

In his 30s...

Compared to a guy in his teens. 

LeBron was dominating NBA players as a teenager. Jordan was Dominique in comparison. 

I certainly agree that Jordan was better than Russell. I don't even think it is close. 

Yes, because they come into the league shooting thousands of 3s in practice. Shooting is the easiest thing to improve and there's no excuse for leaving the game as good as you were when you entered as a shooter.

Look at Kawhi Leonard, he shoots over 40 percent after coming into the league as a bum from behind the arc. And he did it in a pretty short period of time.

People say that, but I'm not at all sure that's the case.

Are you telling me the only reason that John Wall isn't a 40% 3 pt. shooter is because he doesn't practice enough?

I think it is one of those things where it is easy to measure improvement and some people do improve a lot and so people say, hey look he's a lot better.  It must be easy to improve on.

For me personally, shooting is probably the hardest thing, especially as it is the first thing I lose if I don't play for a while.

And the time they take practicing 3s takes away from other things (e.g. a mid-range jump shoot).  You can't really contend that Jordan would be as good at shooting 3s if he came up now and as good at shooting mid range jumpers as he was because he'd have grown up shooting more 3s because those 3s would have taken practice away from his mid range game.

If you look at his game in his era and try and translate it forward, he's going to have a problem scoring as much as Steph Curry because he wasn't nearly as an efficient of a shooter, especially from 3.

Well, by saying Jordan was the best winner, I'm saying that no matter how big the game or moment is, he's going to win.  He'll put the team on his shoulders and get the job done.  Now with that being said...

But realistically, we know that's not true.

Michael Jordan lost games and even playoff series.

It did happen.

Edited by PeterMP