Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Donte' Stallworth to try out for Redskins next week

I agree that Shanahan probably is doing a favor for a former Redskin, and also bringing in more competition for tryouts and pre-season.

But candidly, to dismiss Stallworth as camp-fodder for June, may be a bit too quick an analysis.

Stallworth is a skilled, savvy veteran -- familiar with the Redskins terminology and passing schemes.  A highly touted 1st round pick, he'd signed big contracts ($35 million with the Browns) and definitely showed top-tier NFL talent. At 32, with a history of injuries and off-field incidents, he's on the tail end of his career.  Maybe it's worth seeing what's left in the tank?

Frankly, Stallworth looked decent in his 2011 stint with the Skins.  The guy really runs precise routes, with the timing needed for elements of Kyle's timing passing schemes.  He was a talented deep threat who'd also be willing to go over the middle.

At a minimum, he's going to provide decent examples on precision route-running to all the new WRs.  And depending on how things unfold, he might sneak in as the #5 or #6 WR, for special packages.  At a minimum, having this time-tested veteran familiar with the latest Redskins schemes, might come in handy if the injury bug bites of the Skins top 4 WRs.  (That's how Stallworth got back in with the Skins in 2011 -- and he picked up a few touchdowns.)

HIistorically, Stallworth has been fragile, but still very talented.  Called back to the Patriots, he played just one game, before getting injured.  But he made a 63 yard reception for a touchdown. 

Maybe just a little more than camp fodder, depending on what he shows at 32 years of age.

I posted earlier that there was NO CHANCE he could make the roster but I'm actually beginning to think that Stallworth can actually make the roster if Alderick Robinson & Briscoe don't show anything this preseason. Think about it, Yac is a strength of stallworth's plus he's a good deep ball receiver. Our deep ball receiver was Hankerson this year, which as of last year wasn't a strength of his. I think Stallworth makes the roster if and only if he plays like he did in 2011 and Alderick Robinson and Briscoe don't show anything this preseason. 

Having stallworth gives us a solid versatile 5th receiver who can come in and produce at the #2 spot in a crunch if injury were to happen to morgan or hankerson and who can be another deep ball threat if he still has his speed. 

I think the battle between Alderick Robinson, Briscoe and Stallworth for the 5th spot will be an interesting underrated battle this training camp. 

From an article I read....think on Redskins.com....sounds like Shanny is on Stallworth's bandwagon, and sounds like we are going to offer him some type of contract.  From the season when he was on the team before, I recall that he could at least catch the ball, but was not a real speed merchant like an Aldrick Robinson.  So Garcon, Morgan, Moss, Hank are the 4 locks right now?  I wouldn't see Stallworth bumping Robinson because of Robinson's big play capability.....but Briscoe could be in trouble. 

Why not. Heck, maybe he's worth keeping over Briscoe/Lewis/whoever else is competing for that last spot.

Except it seems Shanahan has really been going with a youth movement as of late (outside a couple of older players like Moss and Fletcher).

Who knows, though.

I doubt it really matters when you're talking about a guy who at the very most, is competing for the 5th spot at WR

Stallworth hasn't been a particularly useful WR in 5-6 years.  What's he got, 42 catches since 2008 or something like that.  He's done.  All the dramatics he's been through, coupled with his age, don't make me optimisitic he's got much left to contribute.  

So Garcon, Morgan, Moss, Hank are the 4 locks right now?  I wouldn't see Stallworth bumping Robinson because of Robinson's big play capability.....but Briscoe could be in trouble. 

Well, I would consider Robinson a lock.  But I'm also not 100% that we are keeping 6 WRs.  Remember, we want to keep 4 TEs, we have depth at CB we'll want to look at, we'll have Safety fights, and once again we are deep at LB with a bunch of teams guys, young guys, and a suspended Rob Jackson.  And that's not even getting into the Right Tackle debacle and all of the vets and youth fighting for that job.

I've said it before, I'd be shocked, not surprised, shocked if he makes the 53.  I think he's a guy who Shanny feels comfortable with his consistency and he knows he'll be available if Moss, Garcon, Morgan, Hank, Robinson go down.

If we keep six, it'll be between Lance Lewis, Dez Briscoe, and Stallworth amongst the other camp bodies/practice squad potential we have. 

Saw that Shanahan hopes to have him signed by the end of the week... guess they still like what they see with him, also read that Shanny told Stallworth he made a mistake when he went to the Pats last season.

Guess Shanny still likes him quite a bit and looks like he could be on the team come the opener, judging off of Shanny's comments.

Im very surprised by this.  I know our WR core is pretty iffy outside of Garcon and an aging Moss.  Morgan is always hurt and Hankerson and Robinson disappear for long stretches.  However, Stallworth is OLD and has a ton of miles on him.  I wish we had room for a decent upgrade via FA.  Oh well, maybe next year.

Im very surprised by this. I know our WR core is pretty iffy outside of Garcon and an aging Moss. Morgan is always hurt and Hankerson and Robinson disappear for long stretches. However, Stallworth is OLD and has a ton of miles on him. I wish we had room for a decent upgrade via FA. Oh well, maybe next year.

I thought Stallworth was 32? If so that's younger than Moss.

Archived