Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Donte' Stallworth to try out for Redskins next week

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210027/article/donte-stallworth-to-try-out-for-redskins-next-week

NFL.com's Albert Breer reported Thursday that Stallworth will be brought in for a tryout during next week's veteran minicamp, according to a source. A 10-year veteran, Stallworth played sparingly with the New England Patriots last season. He appeared in 11 games for the Redskins in 2011.

Given the circumstances of his offseason, Stallworth is lucky the opportunity with the Redskins is possible. In March, Stallworth and a girlfriend suffered burns when a hot air balloon they were riding over Miami collided with power lines. He was cleared medically to resume football activities last month...

I think this is more of a favor Shanahan is doing Stallworth, helping him get on another NFL roster. Stallworth tries out with us and looks formidable after his serious injury, other teams will begin offerring him tryouts. I highly doubt he makes the roster unless serious injury in the WR group. 

I was slightly surprised by this but if we need additional bodies at receiver for camp and the bottom of the receiver depth chart lacks experience Stallworth is not a bad pick up assuming he is healthy. I will be very surprised though if he makes the team.

Great point by Tandler on how many WRs we have on the roster for camp right now and the lack of a veteran on the lower parts of that depth chart.

Competition is always a good thing and though he won't make the team it's never bad to have a veteran "just in case" guy out there who knows the system and will likely be available in a pinch.

Get him in here and if he makes it, get hims some refresher reps with the the 2d and 3d units during the pre-season and stash his contact info in the roladex.

Good for him.  That TD vs. the Cowboys was one of the only "jump off my couch" moments of 2011.  That was wild.  For that play alone I'm happy he's getting a shot.  (though I doubt he makes the roster)

Hell of a throw by Rex on that TD, too...

He had a couple of good plays that year.  We lacked weapons that season, though and I'm not sure that he fits the mold of the "new Redskins".

I did enjoy this though:

I remember sticking around for the end of this game and this was one of the first "come from behind" moments I'd seen in years.  Preseason or not, this was awesome for the 50 of us still in our seat, lol.  Especially with a 50 something Bucs fan who was ****ing about the refs the whole game like it was the NFC Championship sitting a few rows in front of me.

Good for him.  That TD vs. the Cowboys was one of the only "jump off my couch" moments of 2011.  That was wild.  For that play alone I'm happy he's getting a shot.  (though I doubt he makes the roster)

Damn, that was a nice throw, I forgot all about that!

Why not. Heck, maybe he's worth keeping over Briscoe/Lewis/whoever else is competing for that last spot.

Except it seems Shanahan has really been going with a youth movement as of late (outside a couple of older players like Moss and Fletcher).

Who knows, though.

I think this is more of a favor Shanahan is doing Stallworth, helping him get on another NFL roster. Stallworth tries out with us and looks formidable after his serious injury, other teams will begin offerring him tryouts. I highly doubt he makes the roster unless serious injury in the WR group. 

. Ok, that makes sense. A nice warm fuzzy feeling. We did cut him and resigned in a week.

Archived