Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7 : Breaking Down David Amerson: Is He The Right Pick for The Redskins?

Lavarleap56

Learned my lesson after the Cousins pick. I was so pissed off, but after I calmed down and looked at our whole draft the explainations for those picks, I went into the draft this year with a little more open mind. I took a wait and see approach before jumping to conclusions.

I will admit I went through a :wtf: with the Cousins pick. But it lasted only a few minutes.

Read a few reviews who say that the guy might go in the second, maybe the first. And then my opinion changed to "well, when you can get a 2nd round QB in the, what was it, the 5th?, them you pull that trigger whether you 'need' a QB or not".

I agree with Mayock and most of you that say Boom Or Bust for Amerson but I will say this: Most everybody drafted with the first pick is boom or bust. In fact if you take a first round player and he doesn't make the pro bowl then some people would say he is a bust. Since David was our FIRST pick then it applies to him also. Also, they say IF he just fixes that tendency to bite on double moves, then he will be an excellent player. Well if we had a decent free safety then maybe it wouldn't matter so much, so with safeties coming out of our ears I expect that problem to be solved.

I still don't understand why he has to be boom or bust.

Maybe everyone is using different definitions of "boom" and "bust." Generally, boom for me means a high level starter, if not an All-pro. Bust, to me, means he can't even stick with a team, and bounces from team to team as a backup, not starter, AT BEST.

Why can't Amerson just be a decent starter like Wilson or Hall? A decent #2 outside guy. I mean, I am very optimistic about his abilities and expect him to flourish in our system, but even if my wildest dreams don't come true I don't see why the alternative is he flops.

Maybe everyone is using different definitions of "boom" and "bust." Generally, boom for me means a high level starter, if not an All-pro. Bust, to me, means he can't even stick with a team, and bounces from team to team as a backup, not starter, AT BEST.

Why can't Amerson just be a decent starter like Wilson or Hall? A decent #2 outside guy. I mean, I am very optimistic about his abilities and expect him to flourish in our system, but even if my wildest dreams don't come true I don't see why the alternative is he flops.

We are talking about the same fanbase that calls a player with 29.5 sacks in four seasons (while missing a season) "disappointing".

There are "high" expectations, and then there's not settling for anything less than being a potential Hall of Famer right off the bat. Fans tend to fall into that second category.

If Amerson isn't "shutdown" (most overused phrase in football...), then even if he does play really well, the only thing Redskins fans will remember at the bad plays. It's just what we do.

I wondered about that as well. At worse he becomes a solid pro IMO and for a second rounder is that a major problem?

Simple.. People heard Mayock say it so they regurgitate it when needed.

Or, it's just a saying used to show that he has a high ceiling and a low floor at the same time. He played fantastic football prior to this season as a corner and this season he was toast. That tells you what can happen with this kid. I don't necessarily believe he's a "boom or bust" but I'll use that terminology. A better descriptor for him may be, "he has the possibility to be a roller coaster" or perhaps, "He has DeAngelo Hall big play potential, and DeAngelo Hall burnt toast potential."

I think the boom or bust term simply means that he can play at a high level or a low level, and I believe the overriding belief is that NFL coaching will lead him more towards "boom".

I think that will be the scenerio for him. He won't be Derelle Revis, but he can be a solid starter.

Or, it's just a saying used to show that he has a high ceiling and a low floor at the same time. He played fantastic football prior to this season as a corner and this season he was toast. That tells you what can happen with this kid. I don't necessarily believe he's a "boom or bust" but I'll use that terminology. A better descriptor for him may be, "he has the possibility to be a roller coaster" or perhaps, "He has DeAngelo Hall big play potential, and DeAngelo Hall burnt toast potential."

I think the boom or bust term simply means that he can play at a high level or a low level, and I believe the overriding belief is that NFL coaching will lead him more towards "boom".

Understand all that but when you really think about it every player taken in the draft is boom or bust, only real difference is pick investment. No team takes a player they expect to fail, and if a pick doesn't work out then it's a busted pick.

There is a difference in people saying "boom or bust" imo. Some people only have time to get their info from mainstream media, nothing wrong with that but it leads to a lot of regurgitated info without them really having solid arguments for feeling that way. A person like yourself has probably studied him as a player and have your own opinion.

Understand all that but when you really think about it every player taken in the draft is boom or bust, only real difference is pick investment.

Completely agree. I just don't think thats the way Mayock in particular means in. But yes, I understand and agree!

There is a difference in people saying "boom or bust" imo. Some people only have time to get their info from mainstream media, nothing wrong with that but it leads to a lot of regurgitated info without them reallh having solid arguments for feeling that way. A person like yourself has probably studied him as a player and have your own opinion.

I can get on board with this logic as well.

"Boom or bust" could also mean the talking heads haven't got a clue.

I don't think you guys understand the meaning of boom or bust. It means that it is a huge gap between his worse football and his best football or that he has shown high level football in short flashes. You take a guy like Ryan Kerrigan. You would call him a high ceiling guy (unlikely to bust) because he was very productive, athletic, high motor, and high character and there wasn't a big deviation in how he played game to game. year to year outside getting better as he got more experienced. Now Amerson looked like the top corner in the draft for most of 2011 but looked horrid at times in 2012, a huge disparity game to game and season to season. thats where the boom or bust tag comes from boom = 2011 Amerson bust = 2012 Amerson

I don't think you guys understand the meaning of boom or bust. It means that it is a huge gap between his worse football and his best football or that he has shown high level football in short flashes. You take a guy like Ryan Kerrigan. You would call him a high ceiling guy (unlikely to bust) because he was very productive, athletic, high motor, and high character and there wasn't a big deviation in how he played game to game. year to year outside getting better as he got more experienced. Now Amerson looked like the top corner in the draft for most of 2011 but looked horrid at times in 2012, a huge disparity game to game and season to season. thats where the boom or bust tag comes from boom = 2011 Amerson bust = 2012 Amerson

I understand boom or bust very well and still think it's a term used way to often. No reason to think about it any deeper.

Understand all that but when you really think about it every player taken in the draft is boom or bust, only real difference is pick investment. No team takes a player they expect to fail, and if a pick doesn't work out then it's a busted pick.

There is a difference in people saying "boom or bust" imo. Some people only have time to get their info from mainstream media, nothing wrong with that but it leads to a lot of regurgitated info without them really having solid arguments for feeling that way. A person like yourself has probably studied him as a player and have your own opinion.

I'd say high investment along with missing alternatives is huge in calculating whether a guy is a bust or not. Amerson has to be hands-down better than all other alternatives and the investment level probably means he should (in most fans head) be a starter or a significant contributor as a rookie.

Let me first start out by saying no I haven't watched much of hid game film. This guy lead college w/ the most picks last season. So clearly the talent level is there. Shanny and crew saw something that they liked in the kid. By now we all owe the staff the benefit of the doubt.

This is the same fan base that chased Carlos Rogers out of town. Rogers was never a Top 10 CB but he was never as bad as we made him out to be.

Hopefully they bring along Anderson slowly so he can adjust to the speed of the league and minimize his mistakes.

This is from John's weekly report. He's talking to Russ Lande about Amerson.

In general, what did you think of the Redskins’ draft?

Lande » I like it. I really like it. David Amerson is a really talented kid. If he plays like he did in 2011, they will have the steal of the draft. In 2011, this guy looked like a first-round pick. He’s a long kid, he’s athletic. There were questions about his speed and he ran well at the combine, but he plays like a 4.5 guy. As a senior, guys beat him consistently for touchdowns deep. But it’s hard to find tall kids who will play physical and are athletic. He’s more athletic than [seattle’s] Brandon Browner. He’s not as athletic or as fast as Richard Sherman. But he’s not horribly different. He’s intriguing. He’s willing to hit. He could play corner or safety.

I asked his former position coach about his tackling because he did not do much in run support last year. His former coach, Mike Reed, said he could put him at safety because he trusted his ability to tackle.

Lande » You go back and look at the ’11 film, and he’s killing guys. He is without question more than willing to come up and blow players up. My only concern is, does he have the quickness and speed to stay with NFL receivers? There’s no doubt in my mind that physically he can come up and hit and tackle.

Amerson talked about a lack of eye discipline. Did you see that?

Lande » I wondered what the issue was with him. He was trying to make big plays all season and he was consistently peeking and trying to do things. All season his goal was, “I’m going to make tons of picks.” He led the country in picks the year before and he wanted to show people he could be the same guy. At times you’d see him and sit there waiting and you’d think his eyes are on the receiver and in the backfield and all of a sudden the receiver is on him and he doesn’t react. With him it’s consistency. There’s no doubt he has the tools to excel as an NFL corner. From what I’ve been told, he’s a good kid. I thought he was a good pick.

This is from John's weekly report. He's talking to Russ Lande about Amerson.

In general, what did you think of the Redskins’ draft?

Lande » I like it. I really like it. David Amerson is a really talented kid. If he plays like he did in 2011, they will have the steal of the draft. In 2011, this guy looked like a first-round pick. He’s a long kid, he’s athletic. There were questions about his speed and he ran well at the combine, but he plays like a 4.5 guy. As a senior, guys beat him consistently for touchdowns deep. But it’s hard to find tall kids who will play physical and are athletic. He’s more athletic than [seattle’s] Brandon Browner. He’s not as athletic or as fast as Richard Sherman. But he’s not horribly different. He’s intriguing. He’s willing to hit. He could play corner or safety.

See, this is what I don't get at the Sherman comparison. He says Sherman is faster, but he actually timed out significantly slower in the 40. He may play faster now, but he certainly didn't while in college. And that's not just a timed speed thing, there's a reason he was a 5th rounder. He was physical, but his college tape doesn't scream future lockdown corner. I think it's more of a hindsight is 20/20 statement. Amerson showed the speed he can play with in 2011 when he was just out there playing ball, in 2012 he was just overthinking everything and it slowed him down. Hopefully they can get him back to just letting the game come to him. He has the physical profile, athleticism and instincts to easily be a top 5 corner in the league.

Amerson reminds me of Cromartie, who was drafted by the Chargers (AJ Smith) before ending up on the Jets. They have a similar frame to go along with speed and great ball skills. Both are dangerous with the ball in their hands. He has a chance to develop into one of the better corners in the league.

Archived