Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7 : Breaking Down David Amerson: Is He The Right Pick for The Redskins?

Lavarleap56

Just cannot believe we passed on Leon Sandcastle ...

LL another great write up and that was all I wanted to add because I know so little about evaluating players tape - but everything you say makes sense - I am hoping for the best and that 2011 is more where his talent ceiling lies rather than 2012 ..which to be honest i saw a lot of things i thought were correctable ... but what do i know ..

LL another great write up and that was all I wanted to add because I know so little about evaluating players tape - but everything you say makes sense - I am hoping for the best and that 2011 is more where his talent ceiling lies rather than 2012 ..which to be honest i saw a lot of things i thought were correctable ... but what do i know ..

Sandcastle's mentor played for us and you know how that worked out!

...nobody else picked up on Sandcastle either...still available as an UDFA...although, probably makes more sense jumping out of the clown car in SD...

Wanted to thank the OP.

Y'know, I'm seeing more and more people from "other" Skins sites, coming over here, and posting links.

And I follow then, and I see really well written things. (Well, at least they make sense to me.)

Please, keep it up.

I think what happened to Amerson in 2012 was that he just pulled a "Lavar Arrington".

After a great 2011, he go so enamored with making the big plays (mainly INTs), that he just started to freelance. He started playing poorly disciplined football, abandoning his assignments to chase the big play. That left an area of the field exposed and it was the opposing offense that got the big play.

The good news is, it doesn't seem like Amerson was doing this for selfish, ego reasons like Arrington did. He thought he would be helping his team. He has acknowledged his mistake, and has vowed to re-focus on the basics of disciplined football that made him such a great player in 2011.

Time will tell. :)

This. Basically time will tell if this kid is coachable and everything in his past says he is. I can see Morris coaching him up to improve his weaknesses immensely. Actually this was a great breakdown of his flaws and strengths by the OP, the fact that he has such great ball skills I think will play right into what we do in the secondary with devastating results into the opposing teams.

hmm, still not a huge fan of this pick, but i'm a lowly spectator, with no perceivable football acumen. I'll remain quietly optimistic that Shanny knows what he's doing.

If you look at Shanny's record here, you don't need to be quietly optimistic that he knows what he is doing, it's pretty obvious he does.

If you look at Shanny's record here, you don't need to be quietly optimistic that he knows what he is doing, it's pretty obvious he does.

Shanny's record of picking cornerbacks have not all been successes. Some have busted, which is why ill remain quietly optimistic.

Shanny's record of picking cornerbacks have not all been successes. Some have busted, which is why ill remain quietly optimistic.

To be fair, he's had running backs and wide receivers and linemen and just about everything bust too. Most guys have been merely average, which I don't think is the same as a guy being a bust.

Why I love this board/community. Great break down/analysis. Really, awesome post. Most of us not being players or coaches(there are some coaches at different levels on here) have said for some time, we needed coaches, a gm, ie football people in charge. We have that now. And many of us thought...we need players that fit what we do, not great free agents that excelled on their team in their scheme, get here and does squat. From what I see, the scouts and Shanahan have a pretty good grasp/IQ for getting players that work well with what they do. covering up their weaknesses, and playing to their strengths...can make all of the difference in the world for 75% of players. Some are so good they will work no matter what, but for many, the proper system matters greatly.

Wanted to thank the OP.

Y'know, I'm seeing more and more people from "other" Skins sites, coming over here, and posting links.

And I follow then, and I see really well written things. (Well, at least they make sense to me.)

Please, keep it up.

There are other Redskin sites?........

To be fair, he's had running backs and wide receivers and linemen and just about everything bust too. Most guys have been merely average, which I don't think is the same as a guy being a bust.

Being in the biz as long as Shanny has, you are gonna have a cluncker or two...

Mike Shanahan has had... running backs.... bust?

I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!! YOU'RE LYING!! WHY ARE YOU LYING?

Mike Shanahan has had... running backs.... bust?

I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!! YOU'RE LYING!! WHY ARE YOU LYING?

His name was Maurice Clarett.

Shanny would not touch another underclassmen until this year after drafting him.

Even the running back finder Mike Shanahan and the running back whisperer Bobby Turner couldn't save him.

I watched Amerson play a lot. My biggest knock on him is that he just seemed to lose interest last year. That was a red flag for me, as it would be with any player.

However, you cannot overstate how good his ball skills are. They are scary good. The guy has all of the tools. Because I trust the FO so much, I was actually relieved in a way when we picked him. They obviously feel he can do everything we want him to do. Talent is certainly not an issue with him, I think it's a high probability that he just got bored last season.

Thanks LL for an awesome read. I have little doubt that Amerson will succeed here. You put this kid in a position where he can read the QB...look out.

Shanny would not touch another underclassmen until this year after drafting him.

Even the running back finder Mike Shanahan and the running back whisperer Bobby Turner couldn't save him.

He did draft one or two after claret. I believe Ashley Lele sp. was an underclassman and there was a de that was an underclassman as well.

Lost in all this are the dramatic improvements Shanny has made to our scouting department, and the hiring of A.J. Smith, formerly of the Chargers. Our scouting department has been transformed. A.J. Smith is an ass, according to many, in certain arena's. However, take a quick look at his drafting in San Deigo. For all his shortcomings, he is one of the very best at "seeing" talent. I cannot repeat enough the breath of fresh air it is to have truly competent management in place. I live in Arlington, Texas now, and the organizational differences between the Cowboys & Redskins is so obviously dramatic now. I am elated with out team and direction. Hell, we have overcome a BS cap penalty, and are looking strong. I have a very good feeling about this year. HTTR

He did draft one or two after claret. I believe Ashley Lele sp. was an underclassman and there was a de that was an underclassman as well.

Lelie was before Clarett. And yeah, there was Jarvis Moss.

But Clarett burned him bad man.

I really don't think it was Shanny purposefully avoiding underclassmen. Simply put, not many underclassmen are actually in the draft and fewer still are drafted after the first couple rounds. It is HIGHLY unlikely to draft an underclassmen in the 3rd-7th round. He drafted Jarvis Moss, who was an underclassman, after he drafted Clarett. I would imagine if you looked at Shanny's draft record compared to the norm his amount of underclassmen picks would be well within the range of expected results.

i agree, i was just responding to a previous poster that was referring specifically to cornerbacks

---------- Post added May-6th-2013 at 01:59 AM ----------

Lost in all this are the dramatic improvements Shanny has made to our scouting department' date=' and the hiring of A.J. Smith, formerly of the Chargers. Our scouting department has been transformed. A.J. Smith is an ass, according to many, in certain arena's. However, take a quick look at his drafting in San Deigo. For all his shortcomings, he is one of the very best at "seeing" talent. I cannot repeat enough the breath of fresh air it is to have truly competent management in place. I live in Arlington, Texas now, and the organizational differences between the Cowboys & Redskins is so obviously dramatic now. I am elated with out team and direction. Hell, we have overcome a BS cap penalty, and are looking strong. I have a very good feeling about this year. HTTR[/quote']

i feel as excited as you and many of the posters on this board feel, and my post wasn't as gloomy as many seemed to perceive. i was merely commenting on how I'm not as thrilled with the Amerson selection, as everyone else seems to be. but that opinion derives from three 5 minute clips on youtube, and a few random scouting reports, so i realize i have zero credibility. Shanny has had some recent success with the draft, so ill defer to him in this situation, and like i said, remain quietly optimistic.

Archived