Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

D.C. Athlete Power Rankings (April 2013)

Sticksboi05

It's funny Ross Detwiler has been the best pitcher in D.C. since the playoffs.

---------- Post added April-18th-2013 at 07:31 PM ----------

Surprised to see Strasburg as he's been only okay so far this season.

Well, I put Stras in there really for name recognition. It could be Gio or Detwiler in there as well. The baseball season is still very young. I also felt obligated to throw Wall in there somewhere as well because of who he is even though his team sucks (granted it's much better with him on the court).

Well, I put Stras in there really for name recognition. It could be Gio or Detwiler in there as well. The baseball season is still very young. I also felt obligated to throw Wall in there somewhere as well because of who he is even though his team sucks (granted it's much better with him on the court).

Gio has been mediocre this season also. Check the OP.

Gio has been mediocre this season also. Check the OP.

Yeah, I read it. I just couldn't fill it with all NHL'ers just because the Caps are playing well. The MLB season is brand new and I can't automatically give Ditwiler or Gio the nod over Stras based on a couple of games.

Yeah, I read it. I just couldn't fill it with all NHL'ers just because the Caps are playing well. The MLB season is brand new and I can't automatically give Ditwiler or Gio the nod over Stras based on a couple of games.

Det no but Gio was a Cy Young finalist.

Det no but Gio was a Cy Young finalist.

Yeah, which is why it wouldn't be too hard to put Gio in there over Stras but I also think, as it stands right now that Holtby deserves a bit of recognition. With a wishy washy defense he has played incredibly over the last month or so.

If we're only factoring in what's happening right now then...

1. Ovie

2. Harper

3. Backstrom

4. Detwiler

5. Greeny

Wall balled at the end but the Wiz really stunk down the stretch and he did level off a bit(still put up good #s but not great like the above 5 have in their sports).

• 2 weeks later...

Ovechkin might win his THIRD MVP in 8 years. What's sad is people don't understand just how amazing that is. This guy at this rate, assuming Oates' system is the cure to what ailed him, will be in the discussion for the best athlete in D.C. history. And yes that includes Sammy Baugh and Walter Johnson. As of right now he's already top 10, just missing a championship which would vault him to top 5.

For March/April timeframe:

1. Ovie

2. Harper

3. Backstrom

4. Zimmerman

5. Wall

I have to give Ovie the top spot, he's been ripping the NHL several new waste evacuation holes in the past 2 months. Considering he had the most goals of anyone in the whole NHL, I'd say his performance deserves top billing.

If we did this with Skins involved too, RGIII would be there, and I'd probably throw Trent on there too. I mean, he's a pro-bowl LT who is 325 pounds and runs a 4.7. I'd probably have to do a top 10 list with some honorable mentions to get all the DC athletes who deserve mention up there.

1) Ovi - will finish first or 2nd in the MVP voting, led his team to the 3rd seed in the playoffs, Rocket Richard winner (again).

2) Harper - also on the short list for MVP voting, but at the beginning of a very long season. Raking.

3) RGIII - is RGIII. Docked for having a gimpy leg. Still, is Redskins QB and will therefore never fall off of this list so long as that is true. Also, able to do jumping jacks.

4) Mike Green - led all Dmen in goals.

5) Jason Collins - SI Coverboy.

---------- Post added April-30th-2013 at 09:34 AM ----------

Question?

What would it take for Harper, Ovie, and/or RG3 to surpass Sammy Baugh?

Ovie just needs 2 championships, he already has the personal hardware. Harp and RGIII probably need 2+ MVPs and 2 Championships.

1.) Ovechkin

2.) Harper

3.) Wall

4.) RGIII

Nobody else in the ball park. Those are the four superstars that matter in DC.

Harper and Wall took mega leaps in the months of March and April and are currently better at their sports than RGIII is, plus RGIII is injured. But RGIII was also a rookie. In three years I think the list will read:

1.) Harper

2.) RGIII

3.) Wall

4.) Ovechkin.

I think when it's all said and done, Ovie will actually be behind those three in legacy unless he starts winning championships.

I think Harper will easily go down as the greatest athlete in DC history.

I think when it's all said and done, Ovie will actually be behind those three in legacy unless he starts winning championships.

I think Harper will easily go down as the greatest athlete in DC history.

Harper maybe, RGIII as long as he isn't injured long-term. Wall, there is zero chance in he ever matches Ovechkin in D.C.. Not winning ROTY already had him behind the achievement curve. Ovechkin single-handedly made downtown D.C. Capitals property, he is the reason the building sells out every night and why the franchise is rejuvenated. He also already has 2 MVPs (could be 3 in June), 3 Most Outstanding Player Awards, 3 goal scoring titles and one of the highest PPG's in NHL history. Wall is a very good player but he will never be winning MVP's and the idea of him winning a championship with our sad franchise is unrealistic. Not in a league with LeBron and Durant.

It is scary how good Harper already is at age 20. He has a chance to match OV's 2 MVPs by age 24. Sky is the limit for the kid.

To be honest there's a gap between RGIII, Bryce, OV and John.

Anyway...

1. Alex Ovechkin

2. Bryce Harper

3. Nicklas Backstrom

4. Ross Detwiler

5. Mike Green

There's no way Griffin isn't on the list.

Heisman trophy winner

Rookie of the year.

Led the team to their first NFCE championship in 11 years.

Holds the all time record for the highest QB rating for a rookie.

Quarterback of the Washington Redskins.

Wears Superman socks.

To be honest there's a gap between RGIII, Bryce, OV and John.

Don't sleep on John. I don't think people realize just how good he is and how good he can be because the Wizards brand is so toxic and they're the least popular franchise of the four. He's been kind of toiling away in anonymity so far and he's had some injury problems this past season that kept him off the radar. But he made a gigantic leap in March. He was the second best player in the NBA that month and didn't start to slow down until the end of April when the Wizards started tanking, sitting six of their top seven players to close out the year. John is unbelievably talented, a mini LeBron running around at the PG position. In terms of just raw physical tools and potential, John is in the highest echelon of players with guys like Blake Griffin, Kevin Durant, and LeBron James. He's got the best raw skill set of any guard in the NBA. LeBron is seven years ahead of Wall in his career. There will come a time when he is no longer the best player in the NBA and it'll be Wall's generation dominating the league and Wall has the potential to be the greatest player of his generation.

Oh, and the only reason John didn't win ROTY is because of some BS that allowed Blake Griffin to be considered a rookie in his second season.

But also consider the nature of the NBA versus the other sports. It's a better platform for stardom and legacy making because it doesn't have the same randomness and dependency on team play that the other sports do. As great as Ovechkin is, he does not impact the games nearly as much as the other three do. He does not play nearly as much as they do because of the nature of Hockey. As a star PG, John plays most of the minutes in a game and he controls everything for his team while in the game. His fingerprints are all over each success or failure.

And the lack of randomness in the NBA is important. The greatest players win all of the rings in the NBA, and they do so as THE man on their team. If John reaches his potential, he'll get at least one ring and he'll be THE guy for the team. Bryce Harper could go down as the greatest player in 50 years and still never win a championship because of how random and streaky baseball is. And while it's extremely unlikely RGIII could never win a ring despite being the best QB in the league, it could happen if the team isn't properly built around him. It happened to Dan Marino.

There is a reason why quarterbacks and star NBA players are the biggest superstars in sports. A reason why they are enormous celebrities with global reach. A reason why people obsess over their legacies and endlessly seek to rank them and quantify their careers. John's celebrity could explode if he reaches his potential in ways that Ovechkin's can't.

Bryce is the one on a different level IMO. He's the most spectacular talent of all. I'd say he is disadvantaged a bit versus RGIII and Wall since he plays baseball, but he's so good he can transcend that. He could still be considered the greatest athlete in DC history without winning a championship IMO.

Don't sleep on John. I don't think people realize just how good he is and how good he can be because the Wizards brand is so toxic and they're the least popular franchise of the four. He's been kind of toiling away in anonymity so far and he's had some injury problems this past season that kept him off the radar. But he made a gigantic leap in March. He was the second best player in the NBA that month and didn't start to slow down until the end of April when the Wizards started tanking, sitting six of their top seven players to close out the year. John is unbelievably talented, a mini LeBron running around at the PG position. In terms of just raw physical tools and potential, John is in the highest echelon of players with guys like Blake Griffin, Kevin Durant, and LeBron James. He's got the best raw skill set of any guard in the NBA. LeBron is seven years ahead of Wall in his career. There will come a time when he is no longer the best player in the NBA and it'll be Wall's generation dominating the league and Wall has the potential to be the greatest player of his generation.

Oh, and the only reason John didn't win ROTY is because of some BS that allowed Blake Griffin to be considered a rookie in his second season.

But also consider the nature of the NBA versus the other sports. It's a better platform for stardom and legacy making because it doesn't have the same randomness and dependency on team play that the other sports do. As great as Ovechkin is, he does not impact the games nearly as much as the other three do. He does not play nearly as much as they do because of the nature of Hockey. As a star PG, John plays most of the minutes in a game and he controls everything for his team while in the game. His fingerprints are all over each success or failure.

And the lack of randomness in the NBA is important. The greatest players win all of the rings in the NBA, and they do so as THE man on their team. If John reaches his potential, he'll get at least one ring and he'll be THE guy for the team. Bryce Harper could go down as the greatest player in 50 years and still never win a championship because of how random and streaky baseball is. And while it's extremely unlikely RGIII could never win a ring despite being the best QB in the league, it could happen if the team isn't properly built around him. It happened to Dan Marino.

There is a reason why quarterbacks and star NBA players are the biggest superstars in sports. A reason why they are enormous celebrities with global reach. A reason why people obsess over their legacies and endlessly seek to rank them and quantify their careers. John's celebrity could explode if he reaches his potential in ways that Ovechkin's can't.

Bryce is the one on a different level IMO. He's the most spectacular talent of all. I'd say he is disadvantaged a bit versus RGIII and Wall since he plays baseball, but he's so good he can transcend that. He could still be considered the greatest athlete in DC history without winning a championship IMO.

Here is the problem: John plays for the most embarrassing franchise in sports potentially. He will not be winning titles in D.C. unless there is new management during his time here...sadly.

As for "Ovechkin does not impact the game as much"

He factored into 38% of the Capitals goals this season...and that is far from his 07-08 MVP mark of 46.2%. 19-3-1 when he scores and something like 6-14-2 when he doesn't. And this is on a team with Nicklas Backstrom, Mike Green, Mike Ribeiro...This doesn't include the physical presence he brings each night.

If he wins MVP this year, he will join a group consisting of 6 other players accomplishing the feat three or more times and two of them played prior to World War II. His three Most Outstanding Players Awards puts him in company with only four others. 6th youngest and 7th fastest to 300 goals ever playing in a much lower scoring era than the others.

What it comes down to is by the time he retires, Ovechkin could be a top 20 player in NHL history or quite frankly even higher. He is only 27 and is already guaranteed to be in the Hall of Fame. I don't see Wall cracking the top 20 all-time but I would cry if he proved me wrong. I mean are you going to argue Wall is better than Gretzky because Gretzky only played 20 minutes a night? Questionable argument because in hockey, 1 goal means everything so factoring in on 90-100 goals in a season like Ovechkin has done all but twice in his career is incredibly impactful. Do you believe Wall by the time he is 27 will have two or possibly three MVPs under his belt? Now if the crux of your argument is NBA popularity vs. the NHL well we are arguing two different things. But Ovechkin is the better talent.

We both agree Bryce has the most talent out of all of them. Kid's going to be an absolute animal.

Or you are a realist... that most people in DC are going to root for the Skins first and then either the Nats or Wiz second. Sorta reality that hockey is the fourth of the big four sports.

disagree with this...i would say most people root for skins first and Nats or Caps second, not the Wiz...

Archived