Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Interesting article from the WaPo today regarding the Redskins Foundation: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/redskins-foundation-gave-37-million-to-more-than-20-tribes-the-team-says/2016/01/15/abc03fd0-baeb-11e5-b682-4bb4dd403c7d_story.html

One takeaway, and in my opinion the main reason we shouldn't just change the name, is the grey area the name is. There are many, many who support the name as well as many who don't. It's not a black and white issue.

Sounds like the OAF is doing a lot of great work for NA communities. My feelings about our mascot notwithstanding, I applaud Dan Snyder for doing this.

What I found particularly interesting was the lack of "strings," if you will, from the recipients. It's clearly the agenda-driven narrative from Blackhorse, and her type, that Snyder requires some sort of endorsement of the name. One of those quoted said the complete opposite.

• 1 month later...

Below is a narrowed down transcript of the letter I recently sent to Mr. Snyder. This is in response to my renewal invoice for STs in 2016. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/all-opinions-are-local/wp/2016/02/18/a-fans-lament-why-im-quitting-washingtons-football-team/

The headline is misleading. I'm not quitting b&g fandom. I requested a meeting with Mr. Snyder to discuss our franchise's long term solution to the name problem. Shocker... no one has replied. I'm bummed the Post removed that portion of my letter. 

"Ian Washburn is a publicity stunt hound who has been heroically profiled (i.e., shown to be a useful idiot) by The Post several times over the past two years as it pushes its own agenda. This unsolicited (wink wink nudge nudge) Letter to The Editor allegedly written by Ian is in fact largely plagiarized from John Woodrow Cox's 11/21/14 adoration piece on our hero." Taken from the comments in the link above.

There are Native American tribes in the area, right? Do they protest at every game, because wouldn't it be pretty damn easy to do?

The potowomecks (VA) have voiced their support recently. Iirc, most of the tribe, according to the leaders who spoke, are redskin fans.

"Ian Washburn is a publicity stunt hound who has been heroically profiled (i.e., shown to be a useful idiot) by The Post several times over the past two years as it pushes its own agenda. This unsolicited (wink wink nudge nudge) Letter to The Editor allegedly written by Ian is in fact largely plagiarized from John Woodrow Cox's 11/21/14 adoration piece on our hero." Taken from the comments in the link above.

I'm surprised Ian's being accused of being a publicity hound. Said no one. Ever.

Plagiarism? Guess we'll have to Google John Woodrow Cox....

I like this bit in one article: “I’ve loved the team my whole life, but a couple of years ago I had to be honest with myself. It’s disrespectful imagery, and we have to let go of it," Washburn said

Yet on page 2 or 3 of the thread, Warriors was mentioned as a temporary replacement.

Found it:

regarding the imagery, Predicto said that 99% of the complaints were about the name and not things like the chief on the helmet. i cant put a # on it, but i would bet thats off by quite a bit.

"I tend to agree. Some people view our unauthorized use of Native imagery as theft of cultural identity.

When the name change happens for the B&G, the team will need to wipe the slate clean of all Native themes. If we preserve any of the Native imagery, this problem will just linger and eventually grow to a point where we'll have to change again in 10-20 years. Changing the name to Warriors would only be a band aid fix."

I like this bit in one article: “I’ve loved the team my whole life, but a couple of years ago I had to be honest with myself. It’s disrespectful imagery, and we have to let go of it," Washburn said

Yet on page 2 or 3 of the thread, Warriors was mentioned as a temporary replacement.

Found it:

"I tend to agree. Some people view our unauthorized use of Native imagery as theft of cultural identity.

When the name change happens for the B&G, the team will need to wipe the slate clean of all Native themes. If we preserve any of the Native imagery, this problem will just linger and eventually grow to a point where we'll have to change again in 10-20 years. Changing the name to Warriors would only be a band aid fix."

I don't see our imagery as disrespectful. At all. As in, not even close. In fact, I would say the native American chief profile is, if anything, the exact opposite. How one gets "disrespectful" out of that, I have no idea.

Hopefully by now, everyone here is aware of where our logo comes from. One would think that would put that to rest.

Activists seem to be the ones pushing for all native imagery to be eliminated, but it's the name that people seem to be most upset about. And most of those (best I can guess by reading various opinion peices about this subject) are profoundly (I hate to use that word now. Thanks Reza Aslan.) unaware of its history, to put it kindly.

I don't see our imagery as disrespectful. At all. As in, not even close. In fact, I would say the native American chief profile is, if anything, the exact opposite. How one gets "disrespectful" out of that, I have no idea.

Hopefully by now, everyone here is aware of where our logo comes from. One would think that would put that to rest.

Activists seem to be the ones pushing for all native imagery to be eliminated, but it's the name that people seem to be most upset about. And most of those (best I can guess by reading various opinion peices about this subject) are profoundly (I hate to use that word now. Thanks Reza Aslan.) unaware of its history, to put it kindly.

Sorry if that came off as me saying you said that - I was using the pull post by a certain person who stated in one article that the imagery was a disgrace while pointing out that his post on this site was stating otherwise.

Sorry if that came off as me saying you said that - I was using the pull post by a certain person who stated in one article that the imagery was a disgrace while pointing out that his post on this site was stating otherwise.

I gotcha. ;) my post was meant for that person as well even though I know it will fall on deaf ears.

What's the saying? 'you can't reason someone out of a position they did not reason themselves into'.

Generally, a true statement.

Below is a narrowed down transcript of the letter I recently sent to Mr. Snyder. This is in response to my renewal invoice for STs in 2016.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/all-opinions-are-local/wp/2016/02/18/a-fans-lament-why-im-quitting-washingtons-football-team/

The headline is misleading. I'm not quitting b&g fandom. I requested a meeting with Mr. Snyder to discuss our franchise's long term solution to the name problem. Shocker... no one has replied. I'm bummed the Post removed that portion of my letter.

Newspaper editors almost always slice and dice the letters they're sent. Still I'm sorry to hear the paper cut part of your letter that you thought was important.

Congratulations on getting it published anyway. I thought it was good, and I tend to share your feelings on the matter.

The Compost really screwed you over man. The title and article makes it sounds like you're quitting all things B&G and searching for a new NFL team.

As you know I echo some of your feelings about this topic, but I could never quit the team. I still sport the logo on my camo hat. I love this team to the grave. I'm not an activist, I'm not going to protest, but if someone asked me about the name I would be honest.

If/when the name changes I'll simply buy the new gear with the new logo and colors (hopefully burgundy and gold). I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Until then I'm supporting my team like I have since I was little. I roll with them no matter what.

• 1 month later...

Since men can now claim to be women because it's the sex they identify with my despite having no female private parts, can't all redskins fans claim to be Native American Indians, ending the entire problem?

Philosophically, if you accept Caitlin, you have to accept me, if I want to identify as a Native American, despite any evidence to the contrary. You can't have it just be about sexual identity... If a person says they identify with being a NA or Any other race, you must accept that if you accept transgender people.

Problem solved. Let's move onto real problems in this society.

Since men can now claim to be women because it's the sex they identify with my despite having no female private parts, can't all redskins fans claim to be Native American Indians, ending the entire problem?

Philosophically, if you accept Caitlin, you have to accept me, if I want to identify as a Native American, despite any evidence to the contrary. You can't have it just be about sexual identity... If a person says they identify with being a NA or Any other race, you must accept that if you accept transgender people.

Problem solved. Let's move onto real problems in this society.

Eh, I think Rachel Dolezal is a better comparison for what you're trying to say.

Such an idiotic move.

the Redskins are part of the league, like it or not. And a very lucrative part of the league. 
Snyder should sue the NFL and claim he wants none of his collective bargaining contribution to go to teams that won't acknowledge his team by name.

They are proving nothing. Are fans not going to buy a ticket because you didn't print the word "redskins"?

No, they will be there, or they won't, and the name on the schedule has nothing to do with it.

Pointlessly pretentious.

As usual in today's plastic Kardashian Kulture America, vanity and the appearance means all.

~Bang

Archived