Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I'm from NC. Been a Redskins fan my whole life, like many on here.

I'll pull for the Skins no matter what they are called. Personally, I don't care if we change the name. I've never understood why there's so much animosity surrounding the issue.

There's animosity because it won't be the same team no matter how much people say it will. That may sound silly but it's the truth.

Larry, that's not me telling them they can't be offended.

That's me saying they're making up/rewriting the history to suit their agenda.

You understand the difference, yet you make up what I say anyways.

Larry, that's not me telling them they can't be offended.

That's me saying they're making up/rewriting the history to suit their agenda.

You understand the difference, yet you make up what I say anyways.

Sorry. I don't see a rant about people making up an untrue history. A rant pointing out that one of the name changer's arguments (but not their only argument) is easily proven false.

I see a rant attacking every single person who has a certain opinion.  An attack on their motives for having that opinion.  And an attack on the character of every single person having that opinion. 

Every.  single.  one. 

So you didn't get the part where I mentioned the people that I've personally dealt with?

At least we've identified the problem: reading comprehension.

No, actually, I don't see that in there. 

However, that does make me wonder: 

1)  Is your rant not directed at, say, Susan Harjo? 

2)  Or are you saying that you've personally met her, and in fact do so "constantly"? 

----------

And would it also be unfair for me to observe that the following sentence . . .

sorry but randomly deciding now that the name is racist (now being the last 20 years, when the franchise has been around for 80) is complete and utter bull****.

. . . sure looks to me like an announcement that no one is permitted to find the name offensive, because some kind of Statute of Limitations has run out, and tough luck, dude, it's too late?

(Would it also be unfair of me to point out that at least some of the Name Changers have been engaged on their Holy Crusade for, I think, 40 years?  Are they allowed to be offended?  Or did the Statute run out before them?) 

I can't speak for others, but for me, I have "so much animosity" towards the name change due to the fact that it is 100% complete bull**** to change the name, period. If Snyder wanted to change the name because he was moving the team to Virginia, or because he really wanted to name the team after his favorite childhood pet, I would scratch my head, probably not like it, but I could deal with it. Being forced to change the name because of some twisted, fascist PC agenda, which, by the way is currently breaking the law and constitution, not the name, has me ****ing pissed. People getting raped should hold a lot of animosity towards raped and the rapists. And, yes, this franchise is proverbially being raped by the PC crowd and overzealous liberal judges in this situation.

Changing a football team's name equates rape.

Good lord guys

No, actually, I don't see that in there. 

However, that does make me wonder: 

1)  Is your rant not directed at, say, Susan Harjo? 

2)  Or are you saying that you've personally met her, and in fact do so "constantly"? 

----------

And would it also be unfair for me to observe that the following sentence . . .

. . . sure looks to me like an announcement that no one is permitted to find the name offensive, because some kind of Statute of Limitations has run out, and tough luck, dude, it's too late?

(Would it also be unfair of me to point out that at least some of the Name Changers have been engaged on their Holy Crusade for, I think, 40 years?  Are they allowed to be offended?  Or did the Statute run out before them?) 

Look harder.

Not really, certainly not in totality.

No. Though I enjoy that you obviously picked up on the right sentence, but are purposefully being obtuse (funny how others had no problem understanding what I was saying.)

Unfair? No. Though this is twice you've done it. You still haven't figured it out.

I'm sure it does look that way to you, you're entrenched in your screw up at this point. You lack the ability to ever admit that maybe you were wrong, at least the internet version of you does.

I didn't say someone wasn't allowed to be offended. Try again?

I can't speak for others, but for me, I have "so much animosity" towards the name change due to the fact that it is 100% complete bull**** to change the name, period.  If Snyder wanted to change the name because he was moving the team to Virginia, or because he really wanted to name the team after his favorite childhood pet, I would scratch my head, probably not like it, but I could deal with it.  Being forced to change the name because of some twisted, fascist PC agenda, which, by the way is currently breaking the law and constitution, not the name, has me ****ing pissed.  People getting raped should hold a lot of animosity towards raped and the rapists.  And, yes, this franchise is proverbially being raped by the PC crowd and overzealous liberal judges in this situation.

Give this Redskin fan a cigar!! I am so fed up with the lies and political correctness. Too many people on both sides of the aisle want to tell the other how to live their lives. They will always be the Redskins to me and I will NEVER buy team gear with any other name. If I need to stock up for the rest of my life, so be it. No money from me for any other name.

Were the Oilers, Bullets, and Hornets billion dollars corps?

The Exxon merger was the year I was born and yes I remember the Verizon merger, I would consider a merger a bit different than a re-branding.

No. They were sports franchises that rebranded.

Exxon was a rebranding, not a merger.  Verizon was a rebranding, not a merger.

Give this Redskin fan a cigar!! I am so fed up with the lies and political correctness. Too many people on both sides of the aisle want to tell the other how to live their lives. They will always be the Redskins to me and I will NEVER buy team gear with any other name. If I need to stock up for the rest of my life, so be it. No money from me for any other name.

The only acceptable name change would be to the Braves. Actually closes the loop

Boston Braves

Boston Redskins

Washington Redskins

Washington Braves

That's if they HAVE to change it. Not change it because a few non NAs feelings are hurt.

There's animosity because it won't be the same team no matter how much people say it will. That may sound silly but it's the truth.

Technically, unless they relocate out of the area and y'all were to get an expansion team, then it would be the same team. 

It won't "feel" the same, but the ownership, front office, coaches, players will make up the same "team".  When the Bobcats changed the name back to the Hornets, luckily, I was on the winning end of that change.  

It would suck though.  But it's most likely gonna happen when all the dust clears.

No. They were sports franchises that rebranded.

Exxon was a rebranding, not a merger.  Verizon was a rebranding, not a merger.

Yeah but rebranding was not a result of a forced issue for the Bullets, Oilers and Hornets.  Y'alls owner made the decision to change the Bullets due to high crime rates in DC and the death of his friend that was the Israeli Prime Minister that was shot.  

Oilers, they just changed it to the Titans because the owner wanted to and the name Oilers didn't make much sense in Tennessee.  Bobcats to Hornets, getting the original team name back to the city, rebranding to create interest in the team again.  

Huge difference than all the legal issues and offensive name allegations, etc. going on in DC.

Sucks but the name change is going to happen. Better start embracing it now.

For me, I've known this was going to be the eventual outcome. I'm pretty embarrassed of the way things are in our society today but it's the way things work now.

Frankly, I just do not think that a name change is THAT big of a deal. The fact is that Sammy won the title as a Redskin, so did the Hogs and Gibbs...That is history and can not be taken away. Way more important things to worry about. Cancer, war, famine, all tragic...a team name change, not so much.  If it was me, I would name the team the AMERICANS.. Nothing and no one to piss off except for Dallas, "America's team"

I wonder what the liberals will tell us to be offended about tomorrow?

As someone who pretty much loathes liberals, I don't think this is a liberal thing. I think there's plenty of liberals who see the name change deal as a complete joke. This is logic being ignored by illogical people. As a white person myself, I'm quite embarrassed at the amount of white people who've ignored facts and native Americans just so they can act like they're at the forefront of something.

The Red Mesa school should've put all of this stupid argument to rest. The pro name change group literally has no way to combat that so they choose to ignore it. Olberman, Costas, Wise and the rest of the white guys telling us to change the name ignore that school like its the plague. When they go on their rants they never bring it up. They treat it as if it doesn't exist.

For me, I've known this was going to be the eventual outcome. I'm pretty embarrassed of the way things are in our society today but it's the way things work now.

There's certainly elements of this whole "debate" that really seem tragic, to me. 

I think There's Something Wrong when people can make statements, in the public ("Redskins means scalps"), which has been easily, and conclusively, proven untrue, years ago.  And they can keep making the same claim, over and over again, years later.  And not even get called for it. 

To me, the biggest tragedy is that, when it eventually changes, (and I figure it will.  These societal movements pretty much only flow in one direction), then shortly thereafter, it will become a Well Known Urban Legend that the name was always racist, and that Dan Snyder fought it, even though he knew it was racist, because he was catering to the team's fans, all of whom are racist. 

When the unarguable fact is that all Dan Snyder did was fail to give in to unreasonable demands, concerning a name which isn't offensive, and never has been.

So, they're appealing. ( I thought we would win this one ).

I still don't see Snyder changing it.

The current logo is not affected by the Trademark office's ruling or this latest ruling.

As a last resort, it seems that Snyder could officially just go with the name:

Washington

or

Virginia

or

Potomac(s)

and continue to use the logo with federal protection, while still ( separately ) having some common law trademark protection for " Redskins ".

They would " officially " be ' Washington ' or Virginia or Potomac, but they would still be the Redskins to the team and to most fans.

Archived