Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Yeah, I'm already on record for what I want the team's new nickname to be (no nickname) and wouldn't the Warrior's nickname be perceived as the team supporting the Military Industrial Complex or something along those lines?

Let's just go the European route and not have an official nickname. The fans can call the team anything we want, but in any official capacity, the team will simply be the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area Professional American Football Club.

Keep the colors, keep the history, keep the fight song and the band. Nix the name and the logo.

Everyone happy and not offended?

Yeah, I'm already on record for what I want the team's new nickname to be (no nickname) and wouldn't the Warrior's nickname be perceived as the team supporting the Military Industrial Complex or something along those lines?

Let's just go the European route and not have an official nickname. The fans can call the team anything we want, but in any official capacity, the team will simply be the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area Professional American Football Club.

Keep the colors, keep the history, keep the fight song and the band. Nix the name and the logo.

Everyone happy and not offended?

What's wrong with the team adopting a military theme? This is football we're talking about. Cue George Carlin explaining the difference between football and baseball.

Seriously though, the history of the team name will still be there. That is what I don't get about this argument. Harjo and company can't erase the history of the Redskins just as she can't erase the history of the US. The Washington Redskins will forever be engraved on those Lombardi's. It will forever be enshrined in the Football Hall of Fame. It isn't going anywhere.

No one names their team... the scum, the stinking rats, etc. Who'd rally around that?  What fans would want to pay to self-identify with that?  Therefore, Redskins was chosen, perhaps not to identify with said players and coaches, but still to identify with something positive.

Logic dictates this is the case.  

I've said from the beginning the only thing that would soften the blow of a name change for me, would be to name the team after something beyond reproach.  A Military theme with a Red (Burgundy shade perhaps? Nod to the team's past), Blue, and White theme. Would be something that everybody could get behind.

Warriors is fine with me under those circumstances, but if you change, the Native theme has to go.  

Harjo and the other moron's get their way then.  Native theme is gone forever, and the new theme celebrates the entity most responsible for eradicating them.  

Here's to progress!!  :oldcheerssmiley:

:olddohsmiley:

#1. Colors will not change. Even if/when they go to a military theme, the colors will what is kept. I know the "skin" in this picture is burgundy. But whatever, its clearly not Native American. Contact the guy in the picture and give him season tix for life. Because this logo works for me.

warriors.png

#2. If/When this all goes down. I am still making some demands of the league. They would need to purchase all the unbought Skins logo/brand gear (whatever goes go way up in price as a collectors item will be snatched up quickly I imagine). They would need to fund the cost of changing the name on anything the team would be charged for. If they are unwilling to do that. Then the Skins should be exempt from contributing to the profit sharing plan for 5 seasons. That would more than make up for those costs I believe.

I don't want the name to change. If they have to drop Redskins, I would prefer really no name and just a number of the helmets. But if they have to change, I can accept the Warriors (unlike a lot of people here it seems). I love the franchise and the colors. A name doesn't make the team. I feel more strongly about the burgundy and gold to be honest. The "Redskins" Nation or whatever is all of us. The players who leave a mark. The fanbase that will still say HTTR to each other. It'll survive. 

It's funny...more and more of us are throwing in the towel, myself included. I in no way agree with this stance--but the thin-skinned whiney minority looks like it's winning again.

And the biggest culprit is the Redskins themselves. How in the world did Snyder get his success in MARKETING? This team is a PR nightmare...

And Olbermann is a jackoff. His rant wasn't funny (really? a Back to the Future joke?) And still ignores all empirical evidence available for the populist, emotional argument.

I'm tired of the whole ****storm. Could you imagine how awful it would be if we made an SB run?

We wouldn't even enjoy is

That is a lie... I think I will enjoy it more. 

You see, sometimes, I like to be the heel/villain. Us winning the Super Bowl is salt in their wounds. I would eat that up man. lol

POLL!!!

What if the NFL offered this solution:

-Snyder keeps team but name must change

-Snyder forced to sell team to Native American buyer (who is not offended by name) and name stays...

what say you?

Hmm, that is interesting. I'll probably go with the latter...

If I were Snyder, I would just drop the name and roll with The Football club of Washington. Keep the logo, the colors, and just roll with that. I'll drop Hail to the Redskins too...

But no matter what they do, it's still HTTR until I have six feet of dirt over me....

It's funny...more and more of us are throwing in the towel, myself included. I in no way agree with this stance--but the thin-skinned whiney minority looks like it's winning again.

And the biggest culprit is the Redskins themselves. How in the world did Snyder get his success in MARKETING? This team is a PR nightmare...

And Olbermann is a jackoff. His rant wasn't funny (really? a Back to the Future joke?) And still ignores all empirical evidence available for the populist, emotional argument.

Exactly.  I've been pretty confident about us keeping the name until last night.  I grossly underestimated the stupidity of our PR team. 

After reading the newspaper article posted on the last page. It seems that the only thing we can draw from it, is that Marshall was going to change the name to " Redskins " regardless of having any Native American players or coach ( possibly Native ), and that change was to avoid confusion with the baseball team.

The name was chosen after Dietz was hired, and the fact remains that there were four Native Americans on the roster.

So we're not really sure Lone Star Deitz is really Native American then a quote found where GPM himself says he didn't select the name in honor of his native american coach.  This in addition to the twitter disaster...  It doesn't feel like the Redskins are winning this PR battle.  

Here is the quote:  

Any chance that this quote is being misinterpreted or something?  

Marshall is talking about why he chose specifically the Redskins name and it had everything to do with having a name similar to Redsox while keeping the NA theme. I pointed this out earlier in this thread as well. 

But, as to why he kept the NA theme, it is not coincidence that he hired an NA coach and recruited NA players. He kept the theme as a recruitment device. I thought I read somewhere that Marshall did this in hopes of finding the next Thorpe, but can't remember what article it was. 

Anyway, if Olbermann and his lackeys want to believe that an NA themed team had an NA coach and players just as coincidence, then that's on them choosing to ignore the obvious just to further the agenda. But Marshall kept the theme because of them, why he specifically chose Redskins was because it was close to Redsox and maintained the theme. Olbermann is ignoring why we kept the theme and just looking specifically at Redskins because it suits his agenda.

*Added: found this recent article that shows old news articles where Marshall does attribute the name to the coach and players. So it's likely that, as I said, Marshall was simply saying it didn't connect with him specifically choosing Redskins but they were why he kept the theme. 

http://theaxisofego.com/2014/05/30/case-closed/

Olbermann was just going for a "gotcha" and didn't put any furthe research behind it and also suspended logic by thinking Dietz and the players was somehow just a coincidence. He quoted the story that went out on the wire, but ignored the articles a few days later that went into detail and do show Marshall kept the theme for his coach and players.

https://theaxisofego.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/portsmouthohtimes18july1933.jpg

The more I hear it, the more I prefer Washington RedHawks to Washington Warriors.  I feel like Warriors is just so lame and is only being used for alliteration.  RedHawks still allows you to use the "R" logos, which (along with the spear) is my favorite of all the Redskins logos.

r1yh2.png

The name change is going to happen.  An none of us are going to have a say in what the name becomes.  So we may be choosing a lesser of evils kind of name so to speak.  Like, which name do you dislike the least?  Ok, that's our new name.  there will be no name that every defeated Redskins fan agrees on.

Oh man, this is getting worse:

http://thebiglead.com/2014/05/30/dan-snyder-redskins-are-now-calling-up-random-native-americans-to-fly-out-for-photo-ops/

Here’s what Chariman Joseph Holley, leader of a small Nevada tribe, had to say to  USA Today Sports

“Someone working for the team called me out of the blue to invite me to a meeting in D.C. with the team and its owners and wanted to know what I thought of the team name,” Holley said in an NCAI statement released to USA TODAY Sports. “They did not tell me what the meeting was about, what I would be doing or who else was invited and wanted my answer in just a few hours. My answer was no. I’ve got responsibilities to my community and members here at home and can’t be running off to D.C. at a moment’s notice to meet with a football team to do who knows what.”

Archived