Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Daniel Pearson @JawlineDanny Follow

Steve Spurrier didn't know half the names of his defensive players. #RedskinsPride

2:32 PM - 29 May 2014

Hah. This is a fun way to find out one of my good friends has been joining in on the fun, and he's the biggest fan of the team I personally know.

Seriously with countless examples of why this is a bad idea(#MyNYPD, #AskEmmert) it feels like this had to be written by Dan himself. How can one PR team be this consistently stupid.

The name describes the color of a group of peoples skin. Case closed.

Tell that to the 90% of Native Americans who say the name doesn't bother them.

I'm mean, you've presented an argument as to why you think the name SHOULD offend people. And I can see the validity of that argument.

But, for some reason, they don't feel that way. (Maybe they actually grasp the concept of "context", or something). So, what you've done, is to present an argument as to why you think they should change their minds.

I'm mean, you've presented an argument as to why you think the name SHOULD offend people. And I can see the validity of that argument.

But, for some reason, they don't feel that way. (Maybe they actually grasp the concept of "context", or something). So, what you've done, is to present an argument as to why you think they should change their minds.

In this day and age of PC overkill, it doesn't matter if it offends anyone. That's the point. The word itself groups people together by skin color. There's nothing else to discuss. It doesn't even matter if it's their preferred name to be called. People will end up fed up with the story and demand a name change to simply stop hearing about it. I hate it. But it looks like reality.

Nobody cares about them. I say that with all seriousness.

The clock is ticking on the team's name, and it's only a matter of time. That'll be the day I stop watching football. People who support the name will be criticized, embarrassed, and shunned until it becomes an unacceptable word to use. Hell, it's starting to affect me. I had a Native American coworker, and I always just called the team anything but, "The Redskins." He said he didn't care, but I couldn't bring myself to say it.

nononono...that was not me encapsulating the Redskins argument. I was talking about how the media typically reports our side of the story, and why I disagreed with War Paint, pointing out that even though Harry Reid is polarizing, Fox was repeating what he said, and not giving us any platform

That was a direct quote from the article that I linked, and the only one that was support for our side. The "they" here is not the Redskins, it's the media. What the media says, in the articles, when giving our side of the argument. Many of our best rebuttals are simply not reported (thanks Spearfeather, for the article from 2 days later. I had not seen that one. THough it's maybe an outlier from what I have seen, it certainly took some of the wind out of my point).

Whoops. Sorry.

I got the email too, I was like "WTF"?

Are they really asking us to flood some assholes email inbox with RedskinsPride hashtags?

The letter was enough Bruce, no need for this childish twitter war or email barrage.

Mickey Mouse Operation :(

I'm embarrassed at this point.

Me too, ......selectively posting tweets and buying it, embarrassing. 

1. #RedskinsPride @SenatorReid Mr Reid stay the hell out of football and do your job at other things

@SenatorReid #RedskinsPride is a part of us & means a lot to the community. Stop trying to change the name, instead focus on crucial issues!

#RedskinsPride @SenatorReid I hope that letter sums it it for you and EVERYONE else that won't put this to rest!

@SenatorReid focus on jobs, fixing VA, passing @XLPipeline not creating issue w #RedskinsPride isn't critical 2 our nation..PRIORITIES

#RedskinsPride @SenatorReid We love our name. It is said with RESPECT and PRIDE.

#RedskinsPride @SenatorReid I'm certain the people of Nevada would rather you work on more important things than changing the Skins name...

Does this mean Facebook is for old people now?

You mean old and with wisdom. 

A Facebook post with comments doesn't spread like a twitter backfire.

This one feels different than most. Like they stepped in it.... Then stepped in it again..... Then a third time.

Funny though, it is the negative tweets that are being focused on because of retweeting maybe. But I agree, they stepped in it. 

Negative almost always wins on Twitter.

The story now is how the Redskins PR team ****ed up.

And you have the NFLPA headed hedging his bets. Saying the name is insensitive but they won't do anything (duh). The team pays their members well.

Now the question is, do Allen and Snyder realize what happened today? Definitely worried they do not.

Funny though, it is the negative tweets that are being focused on because of retweeting maybe. But I agree, they stepped in it. 

I was getting ready to say that I don't think you need a fair and balanced tweet evaluation to know that the team ****ed up royally, and is going to prove counterproductive to their latest efforts to quell the negative publicity

Are the tweets being shown hand selected? Because the guy is getting killed in the comments on his fb page. Nearly 100% of the comments are against Reid.

https://www.facebook.com/SenatorReid

There's thousands of comments on Reid's FB page absolutely destroying him. Most of the Facebook comments are fairly well thought out posts by people who are fed up with the name change crowd, but that doesn't get picked up by the media because it does fit the "narrative."

From what I've seen on twitter, the anti-Redskins #RedskinsPride tweets are mostly point-and-laugh drive-bys, many of them pointing and laughing only because the WP or Deadspin told them to.

Archived