Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7.com; Post-Combine Washington Redskins 7 Round Mock Draft

KCClybun

2013-draft-logo-story.jpg

Click here to read more.

Note: This mock draft assumes that in free agency, the Washington Redskins, as Kevin has suggested, look to add players like Corey Lynch or Greg Toler, giving the Redskins a little more latitude to take a best player available approach in the draft. So here we go.

----

UPDATE: Decided to give Dukes and Skins some love and post his mock draft in the thread.

Justin's 7 Round Mock.

Two guys who have very similiar views on prospects with almost completely different mocks. Go figure.

I'm not a huge fan of the idea of letting Fred Davis walk and the using our highest draft pick to replace him but I understand that might happen because of our cap position.

Love the idea of Ryan Swope in the 3rd round, he a guy a really hope we get in that spot.

I'm not a huge fan of the idea of letting Fred Davis walk and the using our highest draft pick to replace him but I understand that might happen because of our cap position.

Love the idea of Ryan Swope in the 3rd round, he a guy a really hope we get in that spot.

I hear you on Fred. I'd rather keep him and use the pick elsewhere, but I just get the sense that without the cap room to sign him to a multi-year deal, for the kind of money he wants (I'm not saying he wants to be paid like he's top 5, but I'd imagine he wants to be compensated well), I just envision a scenario where he walks.

I was watching more tape of Swope today, and I think he actually reminds me of Santana Moss a bit. The route running, the "how the hell did he escape that" elusiveness. I think he'd be a good fit.

I hear you on Fred. I'd rather keep him and use the pick elsewhere, but I just get the sense that without the cap room to sign him to a multi-year deal, for the kind of money he wants (I'm not saying he wants to be paid like he's top 5, but I'd imagine he wants to be compensated well), I just envision a scenario where he walks.

I was watching more tape of Swope today, and I think he actually reminds me of Santana Moss a bit. The route running, the "how the hell did he escape that" elusiveness. I think he'd be a good fit.

If it's a cap issue I'd far rather cut Santana who only has maybe a year or maybe two left and use that cap space to sign Fred and then draft a guy like Swope to replace Santana. I think that gives you a better long term return on your roster development.

I like the players in the draft. I'm assuming the basis for said draft is that Davis walks and the FO wants competition for Niles Paul, and that we brought in at least one corner and one safety in FA (Lynch and Toler maybe). Also, something probably happened to Moss, either cut or restructuring.

If that's the premise going in, then Escobar, Swope, Quessenberry, Franklin, Taylor, Hall, and Furstenberg is a good draft.

The one change I might make is, depending on Fletcher and Zo, spending that 7th on an ILB instead. But overall, I'd be pretty happy with that draft.

Keeping this in mind:

Note: This mock draft assumes that in free agency, the Washington Redskins, as Kevin has suggested, look to add players like Corey Lynch or Greg Toler, giving the Redskins a little more latitude to take a best player available approach in the draft. So here we go.

I love this draft.

Adding Swope and those athletic TE's would greatly help the offense. As well as some quality value players in the DBs taken in the later rounds. Both very athletic guys that can contribute on both teams, and on defense down the line.

I like the players in the draft. I'm assuming the basis for said draft is that Davis walks and the FO wants competition for Niles Paul, and that we brought in at least one corner and one safety in FA (Lynch and Toler maybe). Also, something probably happened to Moss, either cut or restructuring.

If that's the premise going in, then Escobar, Swope, Quessenberry, Franklin, Taylor, Hall, and Furstenberg is a good draft.

The one change I might make is, depending on Fletcher and Zo, spending that 7th on an ILB instead. But overall, I'd be pretty happy with that draft.

I think if he falls in the draft because of his knee injuries, Michael Mauti is a guy I could see taking with either the 6th or 7th round pick. I don't know how healthy he'll be, but man, when he's healthy, he a guy worthy of a second round pick. It's just a matter of keeping him healthy. But his tenacity and his fire reminds me of London, even if he's not as athletic as London in his prime.

That was the first Ive seen of Jonathan Franklin. I'd love to see his pass catching and YAC on this offense.

nfl.com has him running a 4.49 40. I thought he played faster than that on film.

If this guy can run, catch and block, why such a late pick?

Reading some of the comments got me laughing.

I appreciate the feedback.

You’re wrong, but I appreciate it.

I literally laughed out loud.

As far as the actual mock they aren't all my favorite players but its thought provoking and I'd be happy with it.

Edit- I have to amend my post that I just watched the video of Jonathan Franklin and I have a new man crush.

That was the first Ive seen of Jonathan Franklin. I'd love to see his pass catching and YAC on this offense.

nfl.com has him running a 4.49 40. I thought he played faster than that on film.

If this guy can run, catch and block, why such a late pick?

I think I tend to think of him as a better runner and blocker than a lot of the other draftniks. NFL.com's combine coverage said he was more of a third down change of pace guy and not an every down guy. He's got some technique issues on the blocking side, but I think he CAN block, and more importantly, he's a willing blocker. You can't say that about most blockers.

Most places I look mock him anywhere between round 3 and round 5. I always tend to round down a round because I feel like you have to take into account runs on another positions and how many draft picks there are.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2013 at 09:46 PM ----------

As far as the actual mock they aren't all my favorite players but its thought provoking and I'd be happy with it.

The thing about the mocks I've seen for the Redskins is that they all seem really different from one another. Some of them go real defense heavy, some go for big names, some for more balance. I find myself thinking that Mike's going to do everything he can do to put as much talent around Robert as possible, and that it's "easier" to find solid, capable guys on the defensive side (not world beaters, but solid, cheap guys) then it is to find those guys on offense.

Honestly, I thought about doing two mocks, one offense heavy, one defense heavy, but decided against it and didn't want to hedge my bets quite so much.

Reading some of the comments got me laughing.

I literally laughed out loud.

Edit- I have to amend my post that I just watched the video of Jonathan Franklin and I have a new man crush.

Funny thing is I've debated that guy on other boards and its the same story for each one

I think I tend to think of him as a better runner and blocker than a lot of the other draftniks. NFL.com's combine coverage said he was more of a third down change of pace guy and not an every down guy. He's got some technique issues on the blocking side, but I think he CAN block, and more importantly, he's a willing blocker. You can't say that about most blockers.

Most places I look mock him anywhere between round 3 and round 5. I always tend to round down a round because I feel like you have to take into account runs on another positions and how many draft picks there are.

Even if he's just a little better than average pass blocker, thats good enough for me. If he's willing as you say he is, he can be coached up.

Just based on that snippet of video, I'd be willing to spend a 4th on him. Especially if he runs a good (better than 4.49) 40 at his pro day.

Add Swopes and I think our offense would be insanely hard to stop.

A far as the small sample of film Ive watched of the safety prospects, no-one jumps out at me as a ball hawking, sideline to sideline free safety type. Seems like from what Ive seen most guys are more comfortable playing closer to the line of scrimmage. We desperately need the prior mentioned.

I like Swope. But I would rage if our draft didn't look something like

2nd-BPA

3rd CB/FS

4th CB/SS

then toss it whatever you want after that.

---------- Post added March-3rd-2013 at 12:45 AM ----------

Since you have done research and have made a mock draft what are the chances that Tavon will be at #51? I would love that but I just think he will get picked before 35.

Since you have done research and have made a mock draft what are the chances that Tavon will be at #51? I would love that but I just think he will get picked before 35.

Slim and none.

Dude ran a 4.34 officially, runs crazy good routes, all sorts of versatile, and he's a good kid to boot. It wouldn't shock me to see him go in the first, but if he doesn't, no way he makes it out of the early second to our pick. If he does, I'll jump up and down and scream bloody murder if they don't draft him. But I think his Combine pretty much solified he's going to be gone. All those teams picking late in the first would be crazy to pass up that kind of talent.

If it's a cap issue I'd far rather cut Santana who only has maybe a year or maybe two left and use that cap space to sign Fred and then draft a guy like Swope to replace Santana. I think that gives you a better long term return on your roster development.

Yeah, longterm Davis is far more valuable than Moss. I understand DG's thinking that you don't fix what ain't broke, but since we need an eventual replacement for Moss anyway, why not shore up our TE (by re-signing Davis) to give us more freedom in the draft.

If Swope is gone, are there plenty of other options for a slot guy in the middle rounds?

Surprised to see 4 straight offensive picks early, but I think you're right KC that signing Lynch and Toler (or similar options) allow us to not go D heavy early. I like the idea of drafting an all-around safety to backup both spots.

I do wonder about ILB as others have said, but with better safety play (in coverage esp.) I guess I'm ok with pencilling Robinson in Riley's spot and sliding Riley over. Perhaps we can trade down a bit and pick up an ILB or extra db.

I like Swope. But I would rage if our draft didn't look something like

2nd-BPA

3rd CB/FS

4th CB/SS

then toss it whatever you want after that.

---------- Post added March-3rd-2013 at 12:45 AM ----------

He addressed that with his mention of signing Lynch and Toler - solid safety and corner respectively.

The insiders have been saying the team is dedicated to adding more speed. If so, considering how slow Escobar ran in the combine, am wondering if he is a top target and for matter whether he doesn't fall to the third round. Even Mayock who as far as I noticed has him ranked higher than most on his draft board -- said Escobar's 40 was disappointing. I recall reading somewhere that the Redskins talked to Kasa, who is raw but has more speed than Escobar also you got speedier options like Chris Gregg who we can get in later rounds. And instead in the 2nd grab someone like Markus Wheaton who can fly, though I do like Swope.

Yeah, longterm Davis is far more valuable than Moss. I understand DG's thinking that you don't fix what ain't broke, but since we need an eventual replacement for Moss anyway, why not shore up our TE (by re-signing Davis) to give us more freedom in the draft.

I agree with this in theory. But recovering from an Achilles injury isn't easy. And arguably what makes Davis special is his burst and speed. Even Bruce Allen who is usually Pollyanna said something to the effect recently that Davis is coming off of a very serious injury. Lets say Davis is at 80% -- that 20% loss might be enough to really hamper his ability to stretch the field.

But recovering from an Achilles injury isn't easy. And arguably what makes Davis special is his burst and speed. Even Bruce Allen who is usually Pollyanna said something to the effect recently that Davis is coming off of a very serious injury. Lets say Davis is at 80% -- that 20% loss might be enough to really hamper his ability to stretch the field.

Good Point- that's the thing kicking thru my head...his injury was very serious. (the weird part is I remember watching the play where he hurt it....I thought it was jut a twisted ankle....who knew!)

The good news is that there are some decent targets at TE and we will have to figure out where and when, but we WILL need to draft one.

NLC- great job. Overall, I'd be pleased adding these guys to the roster. I would like to see the back 7 addressed a little earlier, but I could live with this as-is.

HTTR !

NLC, a hypothetical.

How would the draft change if, say, the worst case scenario came to pass?

Something like, Fletcher retires, we have to let Davis go because of cap, and while we re-sign R. Jackson, Zo, Lich, and a few others, we don't have enough money to be competitive in the bidding for Lynch and Toler, and miss out on them to keep cap room to sign draft picks. We would have big holes at TE, FS, a hole at RT, smaller holes at WR, ILB, and CB.

Admittedly, I don't think that scenario is going to happen, our FO is too smart, and Fletcher retiring saves us a huge chunk of money, in addition to working with Hall and Moss, but it was something I was thinking about.

Escobar in the second?? Would rather have Vance McDonald and could possibly be had later. Really growing on Swope, I believe he could replace Santana today.

...the weird part is I remember watching the play where he hurt it....I thought it was jut a twisted ankle....HTTR !

IKR

I know that secondary is a huge concern. Personally I think RT is our single biggest need but, that's just one mans opinion.

What this mock draft is saying, in all reality, is that Fred Davis departs and we fill our defensive holes with talent already on the roster. More specifically, Keenan Robinson replaces Fletcher (I think he retires), Chase Minnifield gets added to the CB depth chart, Merriweather stays and starts, and Tanard Jackson is our FS. Add a couple low level free agents for depth and we are done. You know what, that might not be so bad considering the circumstances. If we weren't strapped by a completely unethical and down right conspiratorial cap penalty, things would be vastly different. We're squarely in the "this is the best we can do" situation. So adding talent around RGIII in the draft while filling defensive holes with other means could be just that....... The best we can do.

The only critique I have of the mock draft itself is that I don't see us using one of our top picks on a WR. No way. I don't see our WR corps changing much at all. Maybe we cut Santana to save money or something. I think our top picks will go TE or RT or S or CB.

The insiders have been saying the team is dedicated to adding more speed. If so, considering how slow Escobar ran in the combine, am wondering if he is a top target and for matter whether he doesn't fall to the third round. Even Mayock who as far as I noticed has him ranked higher than most on his draft board -- said Escobar's 40 was disappointing. I recall reading somewhere that the Redskins talked to Kasa, who is raw but has more speed than Escobar also you got speedier options like Chris Gregg who we can get in later rounds. And instead in the 2nd grab someone like Markus Wheaton who can fly, though I do like Swope.

I agree with this in theory. But recovering from an Achilles injury isn't easy. And arguably what makes Davis special is his burst and speed. Even Bruce Allen who is usually Pollyanna said something to the effect recently that Davis is coming off of a very serious injury. Lets say Davis is at 80% -- that 20% loss might be enough to really hamper his ability to stretch the field.

I think I need to see what Escobar runs at his Pro Day. He doesn't look like a 4.88 guy to me on tape. Kasa is an intriguing guy, but I don't think he's a guy who can come in and be productive right away, and Gragg's also an intriguing guy, but he's always hurt just a little it. Escobar looks to me like the best all-around guy behind Eifert and Ertz who can come in and contribute Day 1 if he has to. I think if he can run like that 4.69 to 4.75 range at his Pro Day, a lot of questions will be answered. That's plenty of speed for a tight end. Otherwise his measurables are close to Tony Scheffler, who Shanny drafted in Denver.

---------- Post added March-3rd-2013 at 11:08 AM ----------

Escobar in the second?? Would rather have Vance McDonald and could possibly be had later.

McDonald bugs me. He's got all the traits you want, but his drops are a huge concern to me. And it's not like he just drops a ball hear and there. And he drops some easy balls that he should catch. I watched at the East-West, and I think he was at the Senior Bowl too, and I noticed the same thing. Mike Mayock even made a note about it. If I had to make a list, he'd probably make my top 5 physically, but I'm not sure how much we know about him as a blocker, and as a catcher of the football.

---------- Post added March-3rd-2013 at 11:15 AM ----------

NLC, a hypothetical.

How would the draft change if, say, the worst case scenario came to pass?

Something like, Fletcher retires, we have to let Davis go because of cap, and while we re-sign R. Jackson, Zo, Lich, and a few others, we don't have enough money to be competitive in the bidding for Lynch and Toler, and miss out on them to keep cap room to sign draft picks. We would have big holes at TE, FS, a hole at RT, smaller holes at WR, ILB, and CB.

Admittedly, I don't think that scenario is going to happen, our FO is too smart, and Fletcher retiring saves us a huge chunk of money, in addition to working with Hall and Moss, but it was something I was thinking about.

If that were to happen, I'd still probably take Escobar in the first. But instead of Swope, I'd take the one inside linebacker I really like, Jon Bostic. Now, Bostic is a bit of a thumper, he doesn't really excel in coverage, but that may not be such a problem if Keenan Robinson's the cover guy. Near the line I love Bostic, solid tackler, and he's a big hitter without being the kind of guy who whiffs. I picked Sanders Cummings in my original draft, and I'd probably put him back in the mix as well. I think if this scenario, wide receiver would probably get the short end of the stick.

Archived