Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7.com; Post-Combine Washington Redskins 7 Round Mock Draft

KCClybun

At the point Davis was injured he lead the team in targets, receptions and receiving yardage.

Thanks for saving me the trouble lol.

Thing about Fred is, even though it looks like he wasn't utilized a lot, 1.) the stats don't back that up, and 2.) in the first half of the season, the route tree and plays were a lot more limited. It wasn't until after the bye week---after Fred got hurt---that Robert asked to run more routes and less option stuff that the offense really started to expand.

We still haven't seen this offense at it's peak. I see a lot of people saying our offense was "fine", but our offense under Joe Gibbs was "fine". It was productive. Teams like the Saints and Packers, teams we really want to borrow from in terms of tempo, have the most explosive offenses with some of the deeper receiving cores in the league, but I don't think it's ever been their M.O to say "well, our offense is fine, let's just focus on one area." Maybe the Packers did that last year, but even their offense was slowed down a smidge.

I remember being so damn frustrated watching Green Bay face the Giants last season. Nelson was gimpy, Jennings was hurt, and the only thing they could do was try and work the ball to Randall Cobb, over and over and over again. The same thing goes for a team like the Texans, who have Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels, but don't have much other than that.

Complacency is a dangerous thing, particularly with offense. You constantly have to evolve, adapt, and add new concepts, and given teams more to worry about. Yes, we were "fine" without Fred last year, but can you imagine Pierre Garcon and Fred Davis and Alfred Morris and our other pass catchers, all together and ALL healthy, WITH an expanded route tree?

Would you want to defend that?

Why the heck would you want Denard Robinson and his lack of velocity and accuracy throw the ball when you've got Robert Griffin III?

Obviously it wouldn't be a staple of the gamplan. The pistol is designed to confuse the defense and a trickplay with our speed back showing he's capable of throwing the ball would another element the defense would have to account for.

Obviously it wouldn't be a staple of the gamplan. The pistol is designed to confuse the defense and a trickplay with our speed back showing he's capable of throwing the ball would another element the defense would have to account for.

If I'm a defender, and Denard Robinson's on the field, and there's a possibility he's going to throw the ball, personally, I'm thinking about what end zone dance I'm going to do after I pick it off. Probably the Prime Time Shuffle, though I am partial to the Dougie.

If I'm a defender, and Denard Robinson's on the field, and there's a possibility he's going to throw the ball, personally, I'm thinking about what end zone dance I'm going to do after I pick it off. Probably the Prime Time Shuffle, though I am partial to the Dougie.

I don't see us picking up Denard, but hypothetically, what happens when he pump fakes you and sprints past you 50 yards into the endzone? Still gonna do the Dougie?

I don't see us picking up Denard, but hypothetically, what happens when he pump fakes you and sprints past you 50 yards into the endzone? Still gonna do the Dougie?

No, I'm tackling him, forcing a fumble and taking that back to the house instead. And then I'll do the Cabbage Patch.

The problem with Denard is that he's just not good enough of a passer to be threatening in that capacity, without some other additional breakdown in the backfield. What makes RGIII so dangerous is not just that without a spy (and even with sometimes), he can bolt ten yards before you can flip your hips, but that at any point before he crosses the line of scrimmage he can hit someone accurately at almost any point on the field.

Denard isn't even close in the latter capacity. If he was, he would have attended the combine as a QB, not a WR. Once the ball is handed off to Denard, you can pretty much just let your DBs do their job and send the rest to stop a run. There is some value to a guy who can run and pass, but Denard needs to be better at the passing part. I wouldn't mind him in the 7th, maybe the 6th if the FO REALLY likes him, but I don't think the FO really likes him.

Im all for bring Davis back, i hope we do. But im not for drafting a TE in the 2nd. We have bigger needs across the board.

Well, here's a hypothetical.

Let's say we're sitting int he second round, and there's been a run on safeties and corners. Guys going a round or two higher than usual so teams can make sure they get their guy. We get to picks 51, and on your board you have

1.) A tight end prospect that you really like, a guy you feel could start for you right away and contribute, who needs a little polish but all together is a guy you really want.

---or---

2.) A corner/safety that you like, but a guy you don't really think it's going to be able to start for you. He can play teams and maybe some spot duty, heck, with some work he may even work his way into the starting line-up by the middle of the season. A solid but not great prospect.

Which guy do you take?

Count me amongst those who are glad to see you back. Good to hear your voice so to speak.

Thanks Burgold.

For those other individuals who keep harping on Denard Robinson being unable to catch the ball as a WR at the Senior Bowl, here is what a former NFL SCOUT now has to say about Denard. After his performance at the Combine (4.34 forty etc.), the scout now says that Denard may go as high as the 3rd round based on his Combine performance.My mock draft has us drafting him in the 5th round, because I don't think he will go lower than that. But of course its just wishful thinking on my part -- because Shanahan is so secretive -- that I don't know if the Redskins are reallly interested in any of the players we have in our mock drafts.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/14-Players-Who-Helped-Their-Draft-Stock-Most-At-Combine.html

There is no comparison between Brandon Banks and Denard Robinson. Banks is a 150 lb midget, whereas Robinson weighs 199 lbs. Robinson ran for over 100 yards against South Carolina in the bowl game as a running back. The Redskins can certainly start him off as a backup RB, especially if Helu doesn't recover from his turf toe injury. Getting a player of his athleticism and versatility as low as the 5th round, would hardly be a wasted pick. Very few draft picks -- except maybe 1st rounders -- start in their rookie year anyway. Alfred Morris was a rare exception.

Post-Combine 7 Round Washington Redskins Mock Draft

Note: This mock draft assumes that in free agency, the Washington Redskins, as Kevin has suggested, look to add players like Corey Lynch or Greg Toler, giving the Redskins a little more latitude to take a best player available approach in the draft. So here we go.

2nd Round.) Gavin Escobar, Tight End, San Diego State

3rd Round.) Ryan Swope, Wide Receiver, Texas A&M

4th Round.) David Quessenberry, Offensive Tackle, San Jose State

5th Round.) Johnathan Franklin, running back, UCLA

5th Round.) Jamar Taylor, cornerback, Boise State*

*Originally I picked Darius Slay here, but thought better of it. No way Slay is around in round 5.

6th Round.) Rashard Hall, Free Safety, Clemson

7th Round.) Matt Furstenberg, TE, Maryland

My 2 cents

2nd Round.) Gavin Escobar, Tight End, San Diego State

Our offense and passing game last year worked fine without a TE playing a huge role, also I think 51 is too high to pick for Escobar imo he wouldn't be the BPA

I think 3rd round is too high for Swope; imo he wouldn't be BPA at this point

4th Round.) David Quessenberry, Offensive Tackle, San Jose State

duimpje.jpg

Solid ZBS propects to throw into the pipeline

5th Round.) Johnathan Franklin, running back, UCLA

I like the prospect but I think he's gonna be off the board long before the 5th round

5th Round.) Jamar Taylor, cornerback, Boise State* *Originally I picked Darius Slay here, but thought better of it. No way Slay is around in round 5.

Again, I like the prospect and I think you had the right idea when you though Slay would be off the board by this round because I think Jamar Taylor will be long, long gone by round 5

6th Round.) Rashard Hall, Free Safety, Clemson

duimpje.jpg

Love this pick, one of the few single post centerfield FS prospect in the draft and is flying under the radar of draftniks, Clemson's proday is gonna be big for him, if he runs mid/low 4.5s I bet his names starts circling in draftnik community

7th Round.) Matt Furstenberg, TE, Maryland

De-waarde-van-een-Facebook-fanpage-300x199.jpg

Love this pick, not just because I'm a U of M alum but b/c dude rocked out at the combine.

Height/Weight/Speed he matches up with the top TEs prospects as a project TE he's worth the pick

Go Maryland!

Guys: Thanks for all the encouragement.

I want to see you get to 10K posts and get your Ring of Fame avatar.

---------- Post added March-4th-2013 at 12:52 PM ----------

From what I remember, Davis said his achilles injury was as severe as the one suffered by Terrell Suggs. Suggs injured his in February and came back last September to play this season. It wasn't a full tear and the doctor has already cleared him. I don't think the achilles will be the "achilles" as to why we may not re-sign Fred, but his salary demands. If anyone should be on the hotseat, it's Niles Paul. I mean, I love him as a gunner on STs, but he needs to show something at TE this year. Otherwise, I'd rather insert someone else at gunner and get a better TE to pair with Davis and Paulsen.

2nd Round.) Gavin Escobar, Tight End, San Diego State[/color][/b]

Our offense and passing game last year worked fine without a TE playing a huge role, also I think 51 is too high to pick for Escobar imo he wouldn't be the BPA

I'll take the BPA argument. But, I think when you look back extensively at the history of both Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan's offense, movement/joker tight ends play a huge role. Use, the offense works ""fine" without the tight end playing a huge role, but with a pass catching tight end, the offense is mu h more explosive and that much harder to defend. I think Kyle's creativity as a playcaller hides a lot, but I think won could argue that more weapons is a bad thing for a guy like Kyle and for RG3 as he continues his development.

I think 3rd round is too high for Swope; imo he wouldn't be BPA at this point

Really? Everyone else has been telling me that third is too high, that he'll be gone before then. Any specific reasons why you feel Swope would last into the fourth round?

Solid ZBS propects to throw into the pipeline/

Well, here's a hypothetical.

Let's say we're sitting int he second round, and there's been a run on safeties and corners. Guys going a round or two higher than usual so teams can make sure they get their guy. We get to picks 51, and on your board you have

1.) A tight end prospect that you really like, a guy you feel could start for you right away and contribute, who needs a little polish but all together is a guy you really want.

---or---

2.) A corner/safety that you like, but a guy you don't really think it's going to be able to start for you. He can play teams and maybe some spot duty, heck, with some work he may even work his way into the starting line-up by the middle of the season. A solid but not great prospect.

Which guy do you take?

Not really sure. If the TE is a guy that Shanny/Bruce/Kyle..whoever really wants than im ok with that. I just dont think TE is a major need for this team. Even if Davis doesn't come back. Logan isn't the greatest but he can catch and block. Id rather get another playmaker at WR (if there is one there). One who could really push Hank for a starting spot. But idk. A lot depends on how the draft shakes out. Really hope we can get a day 1 starter at FS/SS/WR/OL/LB with this pick.

I'll take the BPA argument. But, I think when you look back extensively at the history of both Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan's offense, movement/joker tight ends play a huge role. Use, the offense works ""fine" without the tight end playing a huge role, but with a pass catching tight end, the offense is mu h more explosive and that much harder to defend. I think Kyle's creativity as a playcaller hides a lot, but I think won could argue that more weapons is a bad thing for a guy like Kyle and for RG3 as he continues his development.
No doubt the TE plays a big role in the traditional Mike Shanahan Denver WCO. I agree that having another receiving threat at TE would only help the offense or any offense for that matter. But, using our highest pick on a TE for an offense that doesn't rely on the position to function at high level imo isn't the best way to use resources. Even if we had to go into the season with Paulsen+Paul a later round draft pick (Furstenburg) I think the offense wouldn't be hurt much/or at all. I hope we sign Fred back though or pursue Casey.
Really? Everyone else has been telling me that third is too high, that he'll be gone before then. Any specific reasons why you feel Swope would last into the fourth round?
Everyone has there own view. My goto to site nfldraftscout has him as 3rd WR in the 3rd round. And I think WRs tend to go lower then projected in most cases. And in this draft where the top of the draft has non-skill position talent it makes sense to me that the run of WRs will start later then usual and there are many WRs ahead of Swope.

I like Swope in the 3rd... I'd look for TJ McDonald in the 2nd, Swope in the 3rd, and get my hybrid TE in Kelce in the 4th if he's still around.
I like Swope, saw a lot of him from watching A&M when Tanneyhill was there. But, I would roll the dice on him and Stedman Bailey lasting til the 4th. If not them then Kenny Stills, Cobi Hamilton or Chris Harper and Josh Boyce around the 5th.

Is it too much wishful thinking gambling on waiting for McDonald in the 3rd?

After all is said though, I remember a quote from Parcells about drafting a prospect you like that fits your scheme.

Better 1 round too early then 1 pick to late.

I like Swope, saw a lot of him from watching A&M when Tanneyhill was there. But, I would roll the dice on him and Stedman Bailey lasting til the 4th. If not them then Kenny Stills, Cobi Hamilton or Chris Harper and Josh Boyce around the 5th.

Is it too much wishful thinking gambling on waiting for McDonald in the 3rd?

After all is said though, I remember a quote from Parcells about drafting a prospect you like that fits your scheme.

Better 1 round too early then 1 pick to late.

It's hard with McDonald. All depends on where you project him to play when he's on your team. I personally love McDonald and think he's a perfect scheme fit. I know you like Reid, and I agree he's a hell of a player but I see him going in the 1st. I've got McDonald rated as a mid-2nd rounder on potential alone. With our picks being late in the rounds, I say he's gone by mid-3rd at the very latest, before our pick.

Now what are the chances we package some of our late picks to move up? Quality over quantity should be the approach at this stage in our development.

It'll also be interesting to see which college Shanny picks as his farm this year. The last few years he's drafted guys from the same college... SMU, and Nebraska in prior years.

You're right it is hard with TJ.

I've had McDonald as my #2 SAF (FS) prospect for awhile.

Most mocks/rankings have him as a 3rd/4th round guy.

But, mocks aren't an accurate prediction of how NFL teams/NFL scouts view things.

The reality might be if a team wants McDonald in the 3rd they might be too late.

You're right it is hard with TJ.

I've had McDonald as my #2 SAF (FS) prospect for awhile.

Most mocks/rankings have him as a 3rd/4th round guy.

But, mocks aren't an accurate prediction of how NFL teams/NFL scouts view things.

The reality might be if a team wants McDonald in the 3rd they might be too late.

Agreed... I personally wouldn't consider it a reach to take him at 51.

2nd: David Amerson CB

3rd: TJ McDonald FS

4th: John Bostic ILB

5th: Duke Williams FS

5th: Josh Boyce WR

6th: Cierre Wood RB

7th: Colby Cameron QB

UDFA: Vinton Painter OT

You ol' sailor you... You took TJ in the 3rd anyway, didn't you.

haha, looks good... Big fan of Jon Bostic (Fletcher Jr.). Like Duke Williams a lot as a pure FS. Don't know anything of Cierre Wood or Colby Cameron but i'll take it.

Archived