Why not:

2: David Amerson

3: DJ Swearinger

4: Ryan Swope

5: Kasa

5: Kevin Reddick

6: Xavier Nixon

7: Punter

I'd be absolutely livid if we took Amerson with out 51st pick. I'm probably the least enthusiastic person on this forum about Amerson. Bad tackler, bad technique. Interesting physical skillset but can't put it together on the field.

The rest of the mock is fine, but putting Amerson up there would drive me up a wall.

I like the part where you did the "hah, you thought I was going to say Wes Welker" for Ryan Swope, then proceeded to name two other white receivers instead. Not that this is exclusive to you, it just amazes me in general how much mock draft writers, and talking heads, are averse to making cross-race comparisons among players. Remember when Toby Gerheart came out of Stanford, an actual good white running back? "Man, that guy reminds me so much of Mike Alstott" was the common refrain. Of course it was, there weren't many other options available.

I actually don't mind this mock draft for the most part, I'm not even that concerned about the safety positon as long as we take one FS, I'm hopeful Meriweather comes back. I just had to smile when I saw yet another white WR to white WR comparison.

I agree with this in theory. But recovering from an Achilles injury isn't easy. And arguably what makes Davis special is his burst and speed. Even Bruce Allen who is usually Pollyanna said something to the effect recently that Davis is coming off of a very serious injury. Lets say Davis is at 80% -- that 20% loss might be enough to really hamper his ability to stretch the field.

That's a fair point. Fred's injury complicates things, we are not going to know if he is back to what he was physically by the time we have to make some important decisions. What we do in free agency in relation to resigning Fred and what additions we make across the board will bring draft decisions into some focus.

I'm not a big fan of drafting for need but if we have let Fred go and not got a replacement in free agency I can totally see us going TE in the second if there is a guy there worth it - but whatever the situation at TE if we have not addressed the FS spot in some way before the draft I have a hard time seeing is not do something in the second round to address that need even if it means trying to trade up a few spots.

Again I would LOVE Swope in the 3rd. I think he is going to be a really productive NFL receiver and is a guy who could contribute out of the gate.

I know that secondary is a huge concern. Personally I think RT is our single biggest need but, that's just one mans opinion.

What this mock draft is saying, in all reality, is that Fred Davis departs and we fill our defensive holes with talent already on the roster. More specifically, Keenan Robinson replaces Fletcher (I think he retires), Chase Minnifield gets added to the CB depth chart, Merriweather stays and starts, and Tanard Jackson is our FS. Add a couple low level free agents for depth and we are done. You know what, that might not be so bad considering the circumstances. If we weren't strapped by a completely unethical and down right conspiratorial cap penalty, things would be vastly different. We're squarely in the "this is the best we can do" situation. So adding talent around RGIII in the draft while filling defensive holes with other means could be just that....... The best we can do.

I hate to sound like a broken drum, but NLC prefaced his mock with the assumption we sign Lynch and Toler (thus shoring up the secondary).

Coming off his injury, how likely is it that Davis gets a big offer elsewhere?

It's not that big. In the past two seasons he's been suspended once, and injured with a tough injury to come back from. I don't think he gets a huge offer, but there are a couple teams out there that need a tight end that'd be willing to give him a decent, sizable offer. Talent wise he's worth it.

NLC, great mock. The only thing I change is IF Stedman Bailey is available in the 3rd with our pick we take him over Swope. Other than that, rock solid mock.

I like your 4th and 5th round picks however, we willnot have the money needed for your top three picks. Also this season RG3 needs to become a pocket

passer. We have the line to give him a little time to find the open man so this is who I believe we need in the draft.

2nd Rd. CB Jonathan Bank, Mississippi State 6ft 1in 185 lbs a top sleeper who will not break the bank.

3rd Rd. WR Terrance Williams Baylor 6ft 2inches Good friend of RG3 and a good receiver.

4th Rd. DT Kwame Geathers Georgia 6ft 5inches 355 lbs A MASSIVE nt. You need a true NT if you plan to run the

3-4 defense.

5th Rd. CB Tharold Simon LSU 6ft 2 inches 190 lbs. A BIG CB with long arms and good speed This is a big need in the Red Zone.

5th Rd. CB/S Melvin White Louisiana Lafayette 6ft 2 inches 190 lbs. Big CB with enough speed to keep up with WRs, can also play safety.

6th Rd. DT Anthony Rashad White Michigan State 6ft 2 inches 325 lbs Good run stuffer with a big body who can anchor the line and occupy

multiple blockers.

7th Rd. WR Rodney Smith Florida State 6ft 4 inches 220 lbs A BIG supersized physical receiver with a big frame.He can overpower almost

all DB. The down side is that he lacks some speed however, he can cover well in the Red Zone.

Nice mock draft.

I think people forget how close we are to a truly elite offense that can play multiple styles depending on what the D is good at/taking away. Our Defense is a hell of a lot closer to being above average with 2-3 players being swapped out. We were up 14-0 against Seattle before RGIII got hurt (ok, tech 7-0 and he got hurt on the play before we went up 14-0). On the drive after, the third down play, we had a relatively easy conversion where the ball was thrown short. A healthy RGIII that get into the throw or one that can run picks up the first down and we are well on our way. This team 100% believed it could get to the Super Bowl last season on it's own merits and not relying on breaks to go their way. I think that is why Fletcher is having such a tough time making his mind up. I also think that is why you will see some moves that raise eyebrows (players restructuring to stay for less, coming to the team for a bit less then they could get in Miami, Tampa, or Ariz).

Back to Topic: NLC, a mock like this would be simply amazing to me. (as would Justin's actually)

I like your 4th and 5th round picks however, we willnot have the money needed for your top three picks

What?

There's a rookie salary cap. What do you mean we won't have the money to sign them? Jerel Worth was the 51st pick last year and he got a four year, 3.9 million dollar contract. The year before that, Da'Quan Bowers got a 3.8 million dollar contract.

And even if what you said made sense, which is doesn't, Johnathan Banks is a first round prospect. There's not way he's slipping that far, and in the imaginary "there's no rookie salary cap" land, he'd command far more than a tight end.

I hate to sound like a broken drum, but NLC prefaced his mock with the assumption we sign Lynch and Toler (thus shoring up the secondary).

Ummmm, yeah. I know. You must have read over the part of my message where I say, "Add a couple low level free agents for depth and we are done." I just didn't feel the need to list those possible free agents by name. There's another thread for that.

I'd be absolutely livid if we took Amerson with out 51st pick. I'm probably the least enthusiastic person on this forum about Amerson. Bad tackler, bad technique. Interesting physical skillset but can't put it together on the field.

The rest of the mock is fine, but putting Amerson up there would drive me up a wall.

Amerson got bumped because of his number of interceptions his junior year. I don't think he's got the speed or coverage skills to play corner, and he is not physical enough to play safety. I think there's a good chance he could be a bust. I've seen him play a lot, and I just wasn't very impressed with his skill set.

I think AJ Klein is a good MLB prospect. It brings me to a question...how high is the staff on having KRobinson replace Fletcher? Is it more of a "we gotta roll with what we got" situation, or do they feel like he has the talent to lead our defense? Just curious. I thought he was coming along well pre-injury, but it is a lot to ask a 2nd year player coming off an injury to step up and play "quarterback" on defense. How our FO drafts and uses FA I guess should give us an idea of what they're thinking, I just didn't know if anyone had any inside knowledge of the situation.

NLC - I'm a little confused by your first selection. You suggest up front that the Skins approach should be BPA and then make an obvious need pick when selecting Gavin Escobar. I think/hope you are not suggesting Escobar is the 51st best player in the draft, are you? Would he even crack the top 100?

NLC - I'm a little confused by your first selection. You suggest up front that the Skins approach should be BPA and then make an obvious need pick when selecting Gavin Escobar. I think/hope you are not suggesting Escobar is the 51st best player in the draft, are you? Would he even crack the top 100?

Just because others won't put him up there doesn't mean I wouldn't. For what it's worth, Mayock has him as his third rated tight end in the draft. I'd say yes, he cracks the Top 100. I'm confident in that pick.

Also, what number you get drafted at means little. A.J Jenkins wasn't the 30th best player. Kirk Cousins went 102 overall but we had a second round grade on him, and I wouldn't have called Cousins the "102nd best player" in the draft. I thought Kirk should've been drafted over Nick Foles and Brock Osweiler, really.

Everyone's board is different. Your best available player and my best available player may be completely different.

We lost Fred Davis early in the yr. and did fine on offense w/o him. Add to that, we have 2nd yr. TE Niles, and Paulsen. The draft would really have to not be going our way to settle for a TE that is not a freak. I could not be seeing something with him (ala Terrence Williams) but RT and WR imo should be the target unless a 1st round grade defender drops to us.

I like your 4th and 5th round picks however, we willnot have the money needed for your top three picks..

That's not how it works. There is a rookie salary pool which will be fixed for us based on our draft picks with the salaries being slotted by where you get picked. If you get picked number 51 your salary is slotted the same no matter if you are a QB or a FS.

We lost Fred Davis early in the yr. and did fine on offense w/o him. Add to that, we have 2nd yr. TE Niles, and Paulsen. The draft would really have to not be going our way to settle for a TE that is not a freak. I could not be seeing something with him (ala Terrence Williams) but RT and WR imo should be the target unless a 1st round grade defender drops to us.

I would argue that doing fine was way below what we have the ability to be. Our RT of the future may be already on our roster or found in FA (there are a ton of tackles out there this year).

I see this argument a lot---the "we did fine without so and so, so we don't need to draft this position". I don't really think that's the way you should approach it; year after year, you see teams pretty much tell themselves "Okay, what we have right now is good enough, we don't need to add more weapons high in the draft, we can survive without it", and then the next year their offense faulters and struggles.

Yes, we did "fine" without Davis. But is doing "fine" good enough? The goal should be to give Robert as many options and give Robert and Kyle as many options as possible. We really haven't seen a fraction of what this offense is or can be. Kyle's great at getting more out of less, but we say in Houston what he can do when he's got a more complete arsenal of receivers and options to deal with.

It's about giving RG3 and the offense the tools to continue to grow. If we take the "the offense is fine, let's just fix the defense" approach, it's more likely the offense will stagnate then keep doing as well as it did last season. The object should be getting better in all facets, not just one.

What if Stanford TE Zach Ertz was there?

The idea of running the read option with RGIII and Morris in the backfield, Garcon and Hankerson at WR, and two TE's that we can move anywhere in the formation? Sign me up please!!!!!

Ummmm, yeah. I know. You must have read over the part of my message where I say, "Add a couple low level free agents for depth and we are done." I just didn't feel the need to list those possible free agents by name. There's another thread for that.

Ok, I guess there's a disconnect, because I'd view Lynch as the starter (not a low level guy for depth), and Toler would be pencilled in as the nickleback. So I wasn't quite with you about filling our defensive holes from guys already on the roster. Of course you did follow that up to specify Keenan replacing Fletcher, so there's that.

What if Stanford TE Zach Ertz was there?

Ok, Ertz and Eifert are 1st round talents. IMO there is not enough talent separation between Escobar and guys like Micheal Williams,Kelce,McDonald,Toilolo,Reed,Gragg, and Kasa to name a few.

The idea of running the read option with RGIII and Morris in the backfield, Garcon and Hankerson at WR, and two TE's that we can move anywhere in the formation? Sign me up please!!!!!

I think you got about 3 two many exclamations for the idea of running the read option with RGIII..........its too soon for that

5 - Denard Robinson, qb, rb, wr, Michigan - The Redskins can use him in a variety of ways.

You ain't kidding IRA

You guys got this mock draft all wrong. Here is the Redskins draft according to Miss Cleo. :ols:

2 - Terrance Williams, wr, Baylor - RGIII is reunited with Terrance.

3 - T. J. McDonald, s, USC - I like his 6-3 size and his father played in the NFL.

4 - Dwayne Gratz, cb, Connecticut - Speedy CB ran a 4.35 forty; had 22 reps on the bench press.

5 - Denard Robinson, qb, rb, wr, Michigan - The Redskins can use him in a variety of ways. Has 4.34 speed.

5 - Reid Fragel, t Wisconsin - Impressive workout for a 6-7+ tackle; 33 reps and 5.09 forty.

6 - Quinn Sharp, p, Oklahoma St - Averaged 46 yards on punts last 2 years; and strong on kickoffs. Wouldn't have to use Kai Forbath on kickoffs.

7 - Ray Ray Armstrong, s, Miami - Developmental safety from the U.

All these guys could make the team.

If London Fletcher retires, the Redskins will trade for linebacker D.J. Williams of the Denver Broncos. Also look for the Redskins to sign TE Tony Scheffler of the Detroit Lions, if he is cut as rumored. Another possibility is signing TE-FB James Casey of the Houston Texans, if he become a free agent.

Ok, Ertz and Eifert are 1st round talents. IMO there is not enough talent separation between Escobar and guys like Micheal Williams,Kelce,McDonald,Toilolo,Reed,Gragg, and Kasa to name a few.

Gregg's got the physical skillset we want, but he was always hurt just a little bit in college. Didn't he miss something like 7 games this season? It's not a total disqualifier for me, but it's kind of like with Roy Helu; he was always just a touch gimpy, a little hurt here and there. Then he came here and the same thing sort of happened.

Kelce's got medical red flags on the field and attitude problems off the field, and his tape didn't really blow me away. Nick Kasa is inexperienced, and watching him try to block at the Senior Bowl was frustrating (part of that inexperience factor). I wouldn't want to start him on the field right away, which was something I was kind of thinking about. Jordan Reed's actually one of my favorite guys, but he's a junior. Doesn't mean we won't draft him necessarily, but I tend to side with history on these picks. Tiololo is an interesting prospect but again, don't know if I'd take him early. I'm not crazy about him.

And I already talked about my issues with Vance and his drops.

NLC at first looked at the draft and thought really TE - WR combo ? But then thinking again about it i would be really stoked with this draft ... i think we can get the cap space to flex our muscles to address the secondary with toler etc.

I can imagine 51 will be early for escobar but there is no way in this draft in this NFL he lasts late in the third .... i really like Swope and slot reciever is a massive need as the young guys we have seem to be more outside recievers ..... my hope would be rambo slides to the 4th but that would be wishful thinking - quessenberry is the kind of guy who will slide and be great value in the 5th might be a reach in the 4th ....but i can see us getting at least one ol prospect and at least one RB ..... i like Justins Riddick selection but then the logic in franklin is sound .

... i would be extrodinarily happy with this draft and people will shout and scream about saftey depth etc but i am always keen on building to the strengths and fixing the roof while te sun shines ... imagine having hankerson, morgen, swope, escobar hitting their prime with a developing RGiii .....i just think the secondary needs more help than a couple of mid round picks ...

I think there is a chance Davis is a skin next year but i doubt he will be signed much before tge draft an then only on a one or two year deal ...and that is not because i do not rat him as a weapon or "well we did fine with paulsen" but i think we need to be convinced he is all the way back from the acl... and there is also the fact he is not a move around type te ... you could split him out wide or have him in line but he is not an anywhere on the field guy and is able to use his athletic ability to get open .....if that is gone even a little bit then davis is not the same guy

Archived