Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins beat last 3 superbowl champs

martin49

It goes deeper than the past 3 years...we've beaten a Super Bowl participant in 5 of the past 6 years (and really should be on a 6-year streak).

2007: Beat the Giants 22-10 in December.

2008: Beat the Cardinals 24-17 in September

2009: Lost to the Saints 30-33 (OT) in December

2010: Beat the Packers 16-13 (OT) in October

2011: Beat the Giants 28-14 in September and 23-10 in December

2012: Beat the Ravens 31-28 (OT) in December

This has become an odd coincidence involving the Skins, but obviously out of their control because nobody knows how the playoffs turn out. Hopefully, the trend reverses itself and other teams can have the oddity of having played the Skins when they eventually become SB champions.

No, as I pointed out to many Baltimore fans, it's just been a statistical oddity because we've sucked so much. Still, I did tell my neighbors when we beat the Ravens we had officially given them the power of the "lost to the Skins" blessing.

No, as I pointed out to many Baltimore fans, it's just been a statistical oddity because we've sucked so much. Still, I did tell my neighbors when we beat the Ravens we had officially given them the power of the "lost to the Skins" blessing.

We even beat them the season they won their first Super Bowl... Stephen Davis could not be stopped...

I wouldn't say we've "sucked so much" over that span.

In 2007 (beating the Giants) we were a playoff team

In 2008 (beating the Cardinals) we were a .500 team

In 2012 (beating the Ravens) we were a playoff team

2009-2011, we were pretty bad but the bookends of this streak had solid teams.

I wouldn't say we've "sucked so much" over that span.

In 2007 (beating the Giants) we were a playoff team

In 2008 (beating the Cardinals) we were a .500 team

In 2012 (beating the Ravens) we were a playoff team

2009-2011, we were pretty bad but the bookends of this streak had solid teams.

Heck we beat the last three champs all this season alone... Saints, Giants, Ravens... Next year is a new year and I hope we don't beat ourselves... unless we win the Super Bowl because that would just add to that streak :silly:

Heck we beat the last three champs all this season alone... Saints, Giants, Ravens... Next year is a new year and I hope we don't beat ourselves... unless we win the Super Bowl because that would just add to that streak :silly:

I really think we are on the cusp, but many up-and-coming teams have their window close with nothing to show for it. Think about all the very strong teams out there that haven't closed the deal at all or more than once...

I would have been shocked if in 1999 you told me that Manning would play in Indy for over a decade but that they would appear in only 2 (and win just 1) Super Bowls. The current Falcons team has been knocking on the door since 2008 and has 1 playoff win to show for it. Even the mighty Patriots haven't won a title since 2004 (granted they've won their conference twice since then).

It's just ridiculously hard to win a championship. So, I believe we are set up to make a run at it, but that doesn't mean we'll get there. It really does show you how "special" these seasons are. I don't follow the Ravens, but can think of a number of very favorable plays that went their way just in the post-season. I hesitate to call them lucky, but most teams that win a title in today's NFL certainly have good fortune on their side.

---------- Post added February-4th-2013 at 11:22 AM ----------

;9419569']So now all the Redskins have to do to win the Super Bowl is figure out how to beat themselves.

If that's all it took, Zorn and Spurrier would have a few rings each.

packers, giants, ravens. not saints giants ravens. we seriously should have beaten the saints though in 09...

packers, giants, ravens. not saints giants ravens. we seriously should have beaten the saints though in 09...

This. The saints were gifted that game, some of the poorest officiating I had ever seen. Then the super bowl happened and Saints AGAIN got bad calls to go their way. It really felt like they were gifted that super bowl by the league IMO.

Beyond that, besides beating the past 3 super bowl winners, we've PLAYED the past 7 super bowl winners during the season they won. When you play only 13 teams a year, and theoretically all 31 other teams have a chance of winning it, that's a 1 in 500 chance of happening.

I think those that are saying things like "what do we get for that" and "so what" are missing the point....it's not we deserve some kind of credit for beating those teams, quite the contrary. We don't deserve any credit for it, because what it tells me is if we are talented enough to beat a team that eventually wins the Super Bowl, pretty regularly at that...we are talented enough to have had more winning seasons than we have had. I think things are definately turning around for the better, but the bottom line for me is I don't buy that really good teams over look us because we suck or we catch them on bad days and the stars align. I don't think it's an anomaly. I think in some cases it means this team prior to 2012 has simply been too inconsistent or generally underperformed when they should have been better.

Again, I don't think that will be the case anymore, but I think it has been. This year injuries really hampered this team early on, and then caught up to us again at the very end of the season with RG3.

;9419569']So now all the Redskins have to do to win the Super Bowl is figure out how to beat themselves.

They do that at least two games a year. They beat themselves with stupid mistakes and penalties.

As for the rest of the NFL, they ought to try to make the Redskins a 16-0 team because without that, they have no chance of winning the ring.

I think those that are saying things like "what do we get for that" and "so what" are missing the point....it's not we deserve some kind of credit for beating those teams, quite the contrary. We don't deserve any credit for it, because what it tells me is if we are talented enough to beat a team that eventually wins the Super Bowl, pretty regularly at that...we are talented enough to have had more winning seasons than we have had.

Beating the eventual SB champion would be fine if they were the #1 or #2 seed, but the facts of who we beat that eventually became champs:

2007 Giants- #6 seed and had a 10-6 record and had to sneak into the playoffs

2008 Cardinals- #4 seed (lowest of the division winners), 9-7 in the weak NFC West. (and they were the SB losers)

2009 Saints- #1 seed and eventual SB champions. (We had the game in hand so I'll give us this one, but the fact is, we LOST)

2010 Packers- #6 seed and had a 10-6 record (see 2007 Giants) and had to beat the Bears who had already sewed up the #2 seed and had zero to play for.

2011 Giants- #4 seed (lowest of the division winners) had a 9-7 record and had a do or die game just to get in.

2012 Ravens- #4 seed, 12-4 record and we had to pull out an OT win. So this one I'll give you also.

What I'm trying to say is most of the SB winners that we have beat haven't exactly been the cream of the crop and most of them got in on the skin of their teeth and were middle to low seeds. Beat more #1 and #2 seeds and I'll lend more credence to this.

What I'm trying to say is most of the SB winners that we have beat haven't exactly been the cream of the crop and most of them got in on the skin of their teeth and were middle to low seeds. Beat more #1 and #2 seeds and I'll lend more credence to this.

Valid point. I guess for me at the end of the day these were still teams that were good enough to get to the big dance...however they got there....and we were good enough to beat them. They don't say "any given sunday" for no reason, but to me this has happened too many times to just be a crazy coincidence.

Valid point. I guess for me at the end of the day these were still teams that were good enough to get to the big dance...however they got there....and we were good enough to beat them. They don't say "any given sunday" for no reason, but to me this has happened too many times to just be a crazy coincidence.

And for the record, I'm not trying to diminish the accomplishment, because it really does say something. It says that (like you said) on any given Sunday, we can hang with the big boys when we put our minds to it. I think if we stop losing to teams we're supposed to beat, then 12-4 or better is not out of the question with the type of talent Shanahan is building on this team.

Archived