Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Were there any disappointments in our 2012 draft?

Bacon

Three. If we didn't make the trade, we would still have our original 1st round picks for 2012, 2013, 2014, and our second in 2012.

We're talking strictly first rounders, are we not?

We traded one first rounder for another, better first rounder. That's a wash, essentially.

We GAVE UP two first round choices.

After one year, I'm really wondering who could you consider a disappointment? After all, how many folks were expected to become immediate starters? If I were forced, I guess I'd pick Crompton since he never really got activated, but he was such a late round pick what could one expect?

We traded one first rounder for another, better first rounder. That's a wash, essentially.

I get what Kelvin is saying. He's not talking trade, he's basically saying that RG3 is our 2012, 2013 and 2014 first round draft pick

I love the draft class. I think that Keenan Robinson was showing good promise before he got hurt. I also liked the play of Crawford, and Ribeye had a very good showing against Seattle in my opinion.

The staff is really high on Compton...they paid the guy 400k to stay on the practice squad. I'm hoping Bernstine can come back and contribute as well. Great class for us.

He is comparing it to Wilson though. He is saying RG3 cost us 3 first round picks and a 2nd compared to drafting Wilson who only would have cost a 3rd.

So he is asking if its better to have Wilson plus three 1sts and a 2nd over RG3.

I'd still take RG3 though. Wilson cant carry a team like Griffin can.

I have to say, we're WAY better at this whole draft thing than we used to be. :D

It helps when you actually have some picks to use!

Its pretty crazy to think that a Redskins player won 11 out of 17 rookie of the week awards.

---------- Post added January-10th-2013 at 11:45 AM ----------

The staff is really high on Compton...they paid the guy 400k to stay on the practice squad.

Its going to be interesting to see the development of Compton into next season. I think just about all of us think RT is the weak spot of our line and most of us think we will be targeting a free agent to come in and take that spot - but maybe the coaches feel Compton can be the guy there for us which would free up free agent dollars and cap space to spend on our defense and/or maybe resign Davis an another TE who can create a mismatch down the field.

My scenario assumes that we used the 2012 2nd and 4th in some combination to get Wilson and Cousins.

I understand what you're saying with this scenario, but these scenarios are based purely on hindsight, not predictions at the time of the draft. If there was an expectation that Wilson would perform on par with Luck and RGIII he'd have been chosen 3rd overall, not in the 3rd round.

It's difficult to determine what good a total draft yields until a few seasons down the road. We truly have yet to see what LeRibeus. Robinson, Gettis, Compton, Crawford, Bernstine, or Cousins for that matter, will do for us. Wait 'til they actually get some playing time.

If you get a Pro Bowl (or -worthy) QB and RB, starters at G, CB, S, and ILB, quality depth at G and OT, and a great backup QB, that should be one of the top-10 drafts of all time. In fact, given that the draft is now only 7 rounds (v. 14-ish in the 70's), it's fair to include UDFAs, which could garner us at least another solid CB.

He is comparing it to Wilson though. He is saying RG3 cost us 3 first round picks and a 2nd compared to drafting Wilson who only would have cost a 3rd.

So he is asking if its better to have Wilson plus three 1sts and a 2nd over RG3.

I'd still take RG3 though. Wilson cant carry a team like Griffin can.

I agree and Seattle from what I saw has been overrated this year, Wilson especially. I think Wilson will be the next Sanchez or V. Young

If you get a Pro Bowl (or -worthy) QB and RB, starters at G, CB, S, and ILB, quality depth at G and OT, and a great backup QB, that should be one of the top-10 drafts of all time. In fact, given that the draft is now only 7 rounds (v. 14-ish in the 70's), it's fair to include UDFAs, which could garner us at least another solid CB.

This draft has the potential of being THE greatest of all times. What if RGIII and Morris (great kids, great work ethic) become HOF players. What if Cousins is traded to another team and he has a great career? Then you have the potential of several starters from this draft.

This draft has the potential of being THE greatest of all times. What if RGIII and Morris (great kids, great work ethic) become HOF players. What if Cousins is traded to another team and he has a great career? Then you have the potential of several starters from this draft.

If that is the case I would rather have Cousins. I fear RG3 will have an injury ridden career.

I'm dissappointed that Jordan Bernstine was injured so early. We would've found out if he could ball or not fairly quickly due to the sub par play/inuries at Safety. Hopefully we'll see him put out next season.

Good topic!

Archived