Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL: RG3 reportedly will be with Redskins owner at exam (MET)

redskins4ever28

He's going because he saw the MRI results and wanted a second opinion immediately. My hunch is that the MRI shows tears significant enough to the ACL and PCL that surgery was recommended, which has a 14-18 month recovery time (unlike Adrian Peterson, this would be Griffin's second ACL rebuild, and those take longer to heal and are more prone to long-term problems). I bet that upon hearing this, Snyder said no, let's go get a second opinion from Andrews. I guess we'll soon find out...

As some other folks have alluded, I think that Daniel Snyder's presence is more of a reflection on James Andrews than anything else. The guy might be a great surgeon and so forth, but I think he botched this situation pretty badly. Everyone wants to blame Shanahan and so forth, but it seems to me that something doesn't add up with some of the stuff that's come from Andrews' camp. Regardless of what happened and who said what in the Ravens game, RGIII played against Philadelphia and against Dallas before playing against the Seahawks. Then we have this injury debacle now, and we hear about Dr. Andrews saying something to the effect that he had been concerned that something like this could happen since RGIII came back. If Andrews is the team doctor, presumably he or someone else on his staff would have had to clear RGIII to play again. However even if for whatever reason he didn't, why wasn't he screaming from the highest mountaintop that RGIII shouldn't be playing all this time? I honestly don't think Shanahan would have played RGIII had a doctor said not to, especially with how Cousins played in Cleveland.

My point I suppose is that if I'm Daniel Snyder I'm taking Andrews aside after the examination and saying "you botched this big time, dude." It does the Redskins no good for the guy to say after the fact that this was always a big time potential.

Dr. Andrews does the vast majority of the major surgeries in sports for a reason. He knows what he's doing. The imaginary scenarios all sound far-fetched. Andrews is on a short leash? That's like saying RGIII is on a short leash because he threw 5 interceptions during the season.

Dr. Andrews does the vast majority of the major surgeries in sports for a reason. He knows what he's doing. The imaginary scenarios all sound far-fetched. Andrews is on a short leash? That's like saying RGIII is on a short leash because he threw 5 interceptions during the season.

Obviously the guy's a great surgeon because players from every sport visit him. However I suppose what I'm saying is that as a doctor he needs to do what's best for the patient. If RGIII shouldn't have been playing, he should have come out and said something to Shanahan. If he did and Shanahan shoo'd that advice away, then he should have been saying all along that was happening. For him to go to the media and give the statement that he did (after the fact), and then to say that he was worried about this all along reaks of a doctor trying to protect his reputation.

Obviously in the Ravens game Andrews didn't have the chance to examine RGIII and conduct tests, but I'm not even talking about that one instance. If he shouldn't have been playing between then and now, Andrews should have spoken up as opposed to saying "I was worried about this" after the fact.

:doh:

Jesus.....it's not like Vinny is tagging along also. He is the owner, this is his plane, and this guy is the franchise QB that he just sold the farm for.

Snyder has turned a corner with his approach and it's time we as fans give him a chance.

Obviously the guy's a great surgeon because players from every sport visit him. However I suppose what I'm saying is that as a doctor he needs to do what's best for the patient. If RGIII shouldn't have been playing, he should have come out and said something to Shanahan. If he did and Shanahan shoo'd that advice away, then he should have been saying all along that was happening. For him to go to the media and give the statement that he did (after the fact), and then to say that he was worried about this all along reaks of a doctor trying to protect his reputation.

Obviously in the Ravens game Andrews didn't have the chance to examine RGIII and conduct tests, but I'm not even talking about that one instance. If he shouldn't have been playing between then and now, Andrews should have spoken up as opposed to saying "I was worried about this" after the fact.

He didn't "go to the media" though. The question came up while he was promoting his book. Outside of Shanahan's press conferences and that one interview, we don't really know what went on behind the scenes so I'll assume Andrews has been doing the right thing until some evidence proves otherwise.

I am very critical of Snyder but I have ZERO problem with going with someone when they get a medical test. This is not Snyder meddling with football operations. The season is over.

Blame Snyder for commercializing the hell out of the game day experience. He is showing support and is doing nothing wrong here.

He didn't "go to the media" though. The question came up while he was promoting his book. Outside of Shanahan's press conferences and that one interview, we don't really know what went on behind the scenes so I'll assume Andrews has been doing the right thing until some evidence proves otherwise.

Perhaps, but what you're assuming is that Shanahan is doing the wrong thing until proven otherwise. I suppose that I'm saying the same of Andrews, however again as a doctor if he felt RGIII shouldn't have been playing it would have been his responsibility to say something then as opposed to after he got hurt again. Unlike everyone else in town, I'm going to give Mike Shanahan the benefit of the doubt.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 09:12 AM ----------

For the record, I think that Daniel Snyder going to Pensacola to be with RGIII is in part business (to talk to Andrews), but it also shows an endearing side of him. In no way do I think he's a better owner than Mr. Cooke, however I don't ever see Mr. Cooke doing something like that.

Archived