Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"ask an atheist" thread

alexey

The most outrageous? I'd go with the ones that kill people for either sinning/not believing/sacrificing/etc.

I don't think any religions actually do this. Of course, when lots of stuff is left up to interpretation, the crazies will interpret this.

The least outrageous? I'd go with the ones that preach tolerance of other's views and realize that while others may not have the same beliefs as you, you have no right to tell them that they are incorrect in what they believe.

Pretty much all major religions teach love and peace.

Anyway, i'll answer my own question. Mormanism, hands down the most jaw dropping, wtf, lol you can't be serious, stuff. But at least they are the some of the nicest people on earth.

from you wiki page:

Religious violence, like all violence, is an inherently cultural process whose meanings are context-dependent.

There aren't any religions that actually advocate violence, at least not today. Islam, for example, does not advocate killing, but people kill in the name of Islam. Its not the same

so you're saying without religion, there would be the same amount of deaths, just with different excuses?

And to me, killing in the name of religion is killing because of that religion.

BTW last post was the first time you mentioned advocate/allowed/etc

from you wiki page:

There aren't any religions that actually advocate violence, at least not today. Islam, for example, does not advocate killing, but people kill in the name of Islam. Its not the same

Ehh. People will read the books, read it's history, and determine their own beliefs based on the writings. And text or pictures can be determined individually and interpreted completely differently depending on the mindset and values of that individual/group.

In the Bible alone there are plenty of examples. The Qur'an is not any better...Recent wars with underlying religious tones don't help your statement.

Study the religions, read about them all, find the similarities and differences. It can be trying and tedious. Well worth it though in my eyes.

Hell, one of the reasons we have freedom of religion in this country is because of history and what it has shown us.

deleted post.

Sorry.

Peter

---------- Post added January-10th-2013 at 09:46 AM ----------

Ehh. People will read the books, read it's history, and determine their own beliefs based on the writings. And text or pictures can be determined individually and interpreted completely differently depending on the mindset and values of that individual/group.

In the Bible alone there are plenty of examples. The Qur'an is not any better...Recent wars with underlying religious tones don't help your statement.

Study the religions, read about them all, find the similarities and differences. It can be trying and tedious. Well worth it though in my eyes.

Hell, one of the reasons we have freedom of religion in this country is because of history and what it has shown us.

Out group violence likely is a result of evolution and has evolutionary consequences.

To quote from a post from Mad Mike:

"Somewhat similar to the confirmation bias is the ingroup bias, a manifestation of our innate tribalistic tendencies. And strangely, much of this effect may have to do with oxytocin — the so-called "love molecule." This neurotransmitter, while helping us to forge tighter bonds with people in our ingroup, performs the exact opposite function for those on the outside — it makes us suspicious, fearful, and even disdainful of others. Ultimately, the ingroup bias causes us to overestimate the abilities and value of our immediate group at the expense of people we don't really know."

http://io9.com/5974468/the-most-common-cognitive-biases-that-prevent-you-from-being-rational?utm_source=jalopnik.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation

To blame religion for something that is a product of evolution seems unfair to religion and if you don't believe that there is a god then that belief is a product of evolution.

The underlying cause is evolution. Now, I guess you could blame evolution, but w/o evolution you and I would not be here.

(Of course we could go the other way and blame god if you do believe in god, but then you and I still wouldn't be here.)

Which organized religion (or sect) in your opinion seems to be the most outrageous or have the most asinine beliefs?

Which organized religion in your opinion seems to be least outrageous?

I generally try not to get outraged... to answer your question, I think that having more people and institutions involved in a religion tends to exercise a moderating influence, so I would expect smaller groups, sects, etc, to be more outrageous. I would expect a similar dynamic for small social groups of major religions as well. At the extreme end of this scale we have individual people who, without a benefit of moderating interactions with others, can easily go off the rails ;)

Honest question.

Do you really believe that religion can cause somebody to kill people?

What would the mechanism for that be?

Honest question.

Misinterpretation (happens to me every day).

Convert or die? the basics of Islam if you count quite a few Clerics in quite a few countries. (apostate)...

Desire for Jerusalem over the last 1000 or so years?

Honest question.

I think it is clear that there is some relationship between religion and violence, and that no act of violence can be definitively attributed to religion as being the sole cause.

Please do not derail this "ask an atheist" thread with another lengthy discussion of this complex issue. I will start a thread later today with a brief overview of different known interactions of religion and violence. I will post a link in this one. Thanks.

Honest question.

In all honesty, when zealotry applies, it doesn't take much.

Righteousness mixed with fervor of misguided religious zealotry can cause a lot of mayhem.

It certainly isn't contained to religion, but the possibility of it is pretty easy to see existing,, especially since some actively exploit it to create actual big giant wars that kill a lot of people.

~Bang

In all honesty, when zealotry applies, it doesn't take much.

Righteousness mixed with fervor of misguided religious zealotry can cause a lot of mayhem.

It certainly isn't contained to religion, but the possibility of it is pretty easy to see existing,, especially since some actively exploit it to create actual big giant wars that kill a lot of people.

~Bang

This is the correct answer.

Religion (as a concept) doesn't cause someone to kill. But some religions provide the written justification for murder.

saying God Bless you when people sneeze

Or Merry Christmas

or I'm going to Hell for that one.

or Your such an angel,

never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly

'they all have meanings that people know in conversations'

What would really flip your mind is recoiling at people adding God before Damnit.

My 14yr old says Cheeses Crackers as opposed to Jesus Christ (at least when she's around me).

Not that its blasphemy to me but it is to most, and Most is who you deal with every day.

Do atheists ever say "G*d Damn it" ?

If so, how do you justify the statement ?

The same reason people who knows the earth isn't flat say "every corner of the world". It is a statement. Same with me saying Dear Odin, when I don't actually believe in a nordic god.

If anything, its the religious who should be worrying about saying anything similar to God Damnit, not us atheists.

If anything, its the religious who should be worrying about saying anything similar to God Damnit, not us atheists.

Quoted for truth.

and to add; up to 2hrs a week is no way to practice something that should be all encompassing, and then look at me as if I'm the problem.

Archived